• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Riposte

There's nothing to "get" here.Once you get used to the way the controls work things start falling into place and you start getting good at it.

Much like every videogame.

one is legitimately hard and challenging...

The crux of your point of view is the "legitimacy" of a challenge. You are mostly dismissing certain type of challenges (or should I say specific challenges) and the reasoning amounts to "I don't like it". Meanwhile I've gone out of my way to explain the game. Then you have the audacity to say:

But hey, I better shut up about it, this is like discussing with a religious congregation, you boys have made your minds up and that's it.

Christ.

The only question I have is why would it be such a common complaint if there was nothing behind it? All the reviews I've read clearly point this issue out, and most of the reviewers seem to have invested over 100 hours in the game... You boys need to be a bit more impartial. It's ok to admit the bad parts too.

You might be simplifying what they are saying, but I don't suppose it matters because who cares what reviewers think? I imagine the people who know more about Monster Hunter than them don't. Same with the fighting game fans, the real time strategy fans, the (insert any genre here) fans. This isn't a legitimate argument. (As for what is behind those comments? The "high learning curve" with the "controls" - actually hitboxes and animations, but you still want to call them controls... as if the game isn't responding to your button presses or something or the controller layout is the problem.)

Mondriaan

What exactly do you mean by cancels being important in fighting games? Being able to cancel punishable moves to save yourself usually has a cost, because that would be extremely overpowered otherwise. Not really applicable to what we are talking about. (Canceling is more commonly used in fighting games as a way to increase damage.)
Canceling gives you options. I didn't mention cost because I thought it was a given. Having cancels eat up stamina would seem okay.

It is applicable to what we're talking about if we're talking about changing from a system where certain actions like re-orienting yourself in the middle of a combo are not permitted to one where they are permitted at some cost.

Apenheul

Lol, this is going nowhere.

Again, what you fail to realize is that what you might see as broken could be what others actually like about the game. Don't forget that you're generally arguing with people who know the franchise better than the reviewers you're referring to. I'm biased because I've put more hours into the Monster Hunter franchise than in any other game, but there's a reason I actively choose to play MH over other games and that partly has to do with the things you're addressing as bad controls. Welcome to Monster Hunter, enjoy your stay.

Riposte

Canceling gives you options. I didn't mention cost because I thought it was a given. Having cancels eat up stamina would seem okay.

It is applicable to what we're talking about if we're talking about changing from a system where certain actions like re-orienting yourself in the middle of a combo are not permitted to one where they are permitted at some cost.

The idea is not without merit, but consider that stamina is not a finite resource and constantly refills on its own (unlike "meter" in a fighting game). Ultimately what would probably happen is that canceling would be the same as attacking. Being able to make safe attacks would break the current balance in the game's difficulty. The simplest way to put it would be that it would make positioning and timing less important, which is what the game is all about.

Peru

But hey, I better shut up about it, this is like discussing with a religious congregation, you boys have made your minds up and that's it.

You don't see that this is actually you? Anyway, main problem here is you insisting that the controls are not a conciously designed aspect of the gatme, when people who know that they are tells you that they are. Say whatever you want about your own experience with them, but this is the way Capcom designed the game over a number of iterations and this is what the designers say about the game. It's a unique design and maybe the main reason I love the game, and it's very much deliberately planned down to the milliseconds of animation for an attack.

Chuckpebble

Aaaaaand today is when we find out it was all an elaborate April fools joke. Shit, thought we were gonna get to an OT2 for a Wii game for once.

Anyway, after about 2 months, and some things that were mentioned yesterday, I switched back to freestyle controls. Its really so much better for me. I kept getting missed inputs when trying to press X+A simultaneously, which really sucked for SnS because I'd be standing about 5 feet away from the monster wiffing at thin air when I wanted to do a jump in attack. I never got used to the timing for when I could use an item while blocking either, its so much easier to just press 1.

I'd say I wasted about a dozen megapotions, 2 ancient potions and died sharpening from trying to sheath my weapon after being stunned by a tremor. Freestyle controls fix that issue for me too.

You don't see that this is actually you? Anyway, main problem here is you insisting that the controls are not a conciously designed aspect of the gatme, when people who know that they are tells you that they are. Say whatever you want about your own experience with them, but this is the way Capcom designed the game over a number of iterations and this is what the designers say about the game. It's a unique design and maybe the main reason I love the game, and it's very much deliberately planned down to the milliseconds of animation for an attack.

No, I don't. I see most reviewers agreeing with me and hardcore fans feeling insulted. Much like any fanbase does whenever the object of their obsession is "attacked". Try checking out the Silent Hill forums. They think the controls are great too, and that once you get used to them, they become part of the challenge (swear to god I'm not joking). *sigh*

As for it being a conscious design choice, sorry, I won't bite. If this weren't capcom, I would consider it, but we're talking about a company who systematically releases sequels to games without ever upgradng the archaic control choices. They don't fix these things until people complain about them... Look at mega man... and then resident evil. And then resident evil again (5). And then Dead Rising. And the list goes on.

Whenever a Capcom franchise strikes gold, they never fix things until people complain.
People started complaining after Mega Man X, voilá, issues were gone. People started complaing after Code Veronica: voilá, RE4 came into being. Then RE5 comes out with the same controls as RE4, and of course, people complain since we're now in dual analogue territory, voilá, Revelations no longer suffers from it. The pattern repeats itself.

I'm betting Monster Hunter 4 will be much more fluid than Tri. If it's not, hey... I'll come down and personally apologize to each and every one of you for being stubborn and admit I was wrong.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Looks like I joined this party a little too late... there's never more than 30-40 people online, and their HR are always much higher than mine is...
It's weird that a game released so little time ago has died down so fast.

Does it have different servers depending on your region? I'm in Europe and sadly it's mostly empty.

Riposte

I'm betting Monster Hunter 4 will be much more fluid than Tri. If it's not, hey... I'll come down and personally apologize to each and every one of you for being stubborn and admit I was wrong.

How about you drop the chip on your shoulder and we don't wait until MH4? You're obnoxious.

MH4 is on the 3DS with a second stick being entirely optional. I wouldn't bet on it. Not it particularly matters because we are so beyond you trying to understand a simple, but well-constructed point without saying your opponents are "obsessed" and your only backing being videogame journalists. Even if they did change the controls for a new set of sequels, it wouldn't mean anything one way or the other. It would just be a different set of games on a new set of hardware which may be better or worse overall. A story that has been told a thousand times.

I will say your understanding of the history between Code Veronica and Resident Evil 4 is basically made up to fit your nonexistent point. You also have to understand that these complaints are not very loud in Japan, where it is more or less the country's biggest series with the power to make platforms successful (see: PSP and 3DS).

Just because future installments change things up, it doesn't mean the previous way of doing things was wrong. Companies should always shake things up now and again to keep the series from being stagnant. Obviously, they have to weigh the risk of screwing up - Activision isn't going to radically change the CoD formula as long as it sells a fuckton. Same thing with Capcom and MH. However, I don't doubt they would change things in MH4 to give it more worldwide appeal.

But just because the series in its current incarnation doesn't appeal to you 100%, it doesn't mean the parts you don't like are a function of bad design. People have different tastes, you know.

Does it have different servers depending on your region? I'm in Europe and sadly it's mostly empty.
Japan, Europe, North America each operate on separate sets of servers. Can't speak about the state of things on the European servers but there are usually 400+ on the NA Recruiting servers on weeknights, 700+ on weekends. Weekdays are pretty quiet with ~200 people. And that's just the Recruiting servers - the Open servers are usually half as populated as Recruiting. Expert/Rookie servers are the least active - probably 100-150 people if you're lucky.

Apenheul

I'm in Europe, I can't access low rank servers anymore but during the week there are about 600+ people playing on the Recruitment servers and during the weekends usually 1200+. I can imagine that there aren't many players on the Rookie servers anymore though. I'll check tomorrow with a new character.

Yeah, but what exactly are the Recruitment servers? I'm not looking to get on any clans or whatever... The open servers and rookie servers are always pretty empty...

In other news, just killed Rathian and Gigginox offline. Rathian took an insane amount of hits to fell, considering how powefull my hammer is at this point! Except for the whole controls/hitboxes/whatever thing, I'm loving this game. :D It's a shame I can't jump in on quests of this level online, the prospect of having to do most low level quests again online essentially by myself isn't that tempting... =/

Apenheul

Yeah, but what exactly are the Recruitment servers? I'm not looking to get on any clans or whatever... The open servers and rookie servers are always pretty empty...

In other news, just killed Rathian and Gigginox offline. Rathian took an insane amount of hits to fell, considering how powefull my hammer is at this point! Except for the whole controls/hitboxes/whatever thing, I'm loving this game. :D It's a shame I can't jump in on quests of this level online, the prospect of having to do most low level quests again online essentially by myself isn't that tempting... =/

Recruitment allows users to open a city for a specific monster or quest. You can specify a monster or type of resource, low or high rank entree, and additional info like 'everyone welcome' or 'playing with friends'. Note that you can't gain experience points offline, you really have to play online if you want to increase your hunter rank. High rank monsters, weapons and armor are also only available online (except for Caedeus stuff). Eventually it pays off to finish offline mode because you'll be able to get resources much faster than online, but I would try to keep up online too or else you'll be stuck killing simple monsters for a while (just know that online low-rank quests are significantly harder than offline low-rank quests).

I just checked the status of the Rookie servers online and indeed there were only about 80 people there in PAL-land. Personally I wouldn't mind that if I were a new player, it's not so much about the size of the userbase but rather the dedication of players. The best way to play MH is to find a couple of people you can occasionally hunt with.

insin

Neo Member
Open and Recruiting are where it's at now in EU - the HR-specific servers are pretty barren, but there are plenty of people playing elsewhere of all HRs and ability (yes, still plenty up upswinging, unthinkingly-spirit-comboing, lance charging High Rank players with no armour skills).

Having been out of the monster hunting business since 2010, I recently started a new character and sunk 60 hours into mixed offline/online, beating Ceadeus and getting up to HR30 before catching myself on and going back to my HR209 character: since MH is all about the gear there's not really much point in starting a new character when you have ALL the gear, other than to experience the progression again, which I must say is amazing when you're doing mixed online/offline. As a newbie to the series, I sunk more than 100 hours into the Village on my first character before venturing into the City to rank up (I had no idea about High Rank, which is where things really open up and feels like New Game+ with all the new mats!).

Oxigen_Waste, this was also my first Monster Hunter, so I don't have an "I R HARDCORE FAN" axe to grind (although it seems to me like you're imagining those axes in this topic so far) - if you've played it long enough to be fighting the monsters you're fighting and you can't see that everything you've complained about is exactly as-designed, I dunno... have you tried all the weapon types yet?

After initially getting pissed off with how long it took to kill Great Jaggis with the Sword & Shield, and how slow everything else felt in comparison, I popped online briefly to forge the first Switch Axe and it became my go-to weapon for most of the offline mode, due to its decent power and relatively fast sword mode. Its axe mode is more like the other, slower, weapons but in learning the combos you could do with it before transitioning into sword mode, I picked up the tempo of that particular weapon and how it slotted in with each monster's patterns and tells. Once I started playing with others online, I finally tried and fell in love with lancing, and eventually every other weapon type in the game (bar S&S, which I'm still meh on).

In my experience, every weapon and monster has its own, very deliberate flow - fights feel like dances, with your weapon dictating which steps you can perform and a combination of weapon, monster rage mode and your knowledge of the monster determining the tempo and moves - there's nothing quite like landing that perfect superpound and rolling away safely, or attacking an opening with a longsword and fadeslashing away, or being able to stand front-and-centre with a lance upstabbing a monster in the balls and perfectly countering their every attack (Deviljho with a Lance, Guard and Evasion skills is particularly beautiful), and that kind of satisfaction simply wouldn't be there without both hunter and monster having the deliberate weight, timing and feeling of momentum in how they move. The combination of timing and anticipation is everything, and the controls are absolutely built for servicing that.

Just agreeing with everything insin said. Tri is also my introduction to the series and the only MH I've played. Mechanically speaking, I don't know how you'd improve it. I can certainly see where changes could be made, but those changes would create a different game. Not make a better one. Maybe you'd like that other game better, but I'm pretty enamored of this one.

Well, insin, 40 something hours in I'm now at a point where it doesn't bother me at all because I've more than gotten used to it. But I stand by my point of it being a negative and not even near being a positive. The weapon distribution alone says it all... the fact that you get access to hammers and great swords as soon as you start but have to wait 20 hours to get your hands on a longsword or switch-axe is mind melting. They actually chose to make the early game weapons harder to use. As a Hammer and Longsword user, even though I do preffer the hammer, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind on how much more intuitive and initially easy to use the longsword, sword and shield and Switch-axe are when compared to all other types. And yet, at the start you're presented with none except for SnS, which is more of a status enducing weapon that anything and which is basically unusable offline.
Were they trying to spook newcomers away? oO

It doesn't make any sense. Why on earth did they make your character "celebrate" after taking potions or whatever other items? How is something like this even possible in such a game? The problem here is, the list of things that make no sense goes on forever. It's a broken game... and once you learn your way around it's insane design faults, it becomes awesome, but that's terrible game design. A gigantic learning curve is not a good thing!

I mean, let's look at Demon's Souls in comparison... one hour into the game and everything feels natural to you. Your armor sucks, your weapon sucks and you're getting owned by pretty much everything around you, but you're comfortable with your vehicle.

Monster Hunter's vehicle is just a giant impedement. Something you'll spend 20 hours wrestling with until you can finally enjoy the game.

That sums it up pretty well, actually. Monster Hunter is a worse Demon's Souls. I expected MHT to perform like a 2010 game, but it didn't. MHT is a retro masterpiece. But it's retro in all the wrong ways. It doesn't look, feel or sound retro... it just plays retro.

And that makes no sense. It's like purposefully launching a car with bad mileage and handling.

And the difficulty is ridiculously overplayed. This isn't difficult, it's broken. The monsters all attack in patterns that are predictable to the point which hipotetically would mean you could actually defeat any single one of them naked with the weakest weapon in the game, if you cared to, and rightly so!!! But no, they had to ruin that. That's where the time limit comes in, to make sure you can't do that. They pretty much force you to grind and call it difficulty. The real difficulty here is learning how to play around the game's poor decisions.

Still, all this "hate", and in the end I love this game. I'm absolutely loving it. It is indeed a poor man's Demon's Souls, but that's hardly a bad thing. Being second to one of the best games in the last decade is quite an accomplishment!

It doesn't make any sense. Why on earth did they make your character "celebrate" after taking potions or whatever other items? How is something like this even possible in such a game? The problem here is, the list of things that make no sense goes on forever. It's a broken game... and once you learn your way around it's insane design faults, it becomes awesome, but that's terrible game design. A gigantic learning curve is not a good thing!
I agree that the learning curve could be softened a bit but I and countless others have already explained why the game is designed as is so I'm not sure why you're repeating yourself. Let me just say that your ultimate goal as a hunter should be to finish the quest without using healing items of any kind. But if you ever have to use one, the game forces you to know when to use it. Difficult concept to understand, am I right?

And the difficulty is ridiculously overplayed. This isn't difficult, it's broken. The monsters all attack in patterns that are predictable to the point which hipotetically would mean you could actually defeat any single one of them naked with the weakest weapon in the game, if you cared to, and rightly so!!! But no, they had to ruin that. That's where the time limit comes in, to make sure you can't do that. They pretty much force you to grind and call it difficulty. The real difficulty here is learning how to play around the game's poor decisions.
Armor is never required if you have enough skill. Weapon strength only matters in the extreme cases (such as using a rusted weapon on endgame monsters). The only times you have to grind is when you need enough HR points to unlock the next set of quests or if you want to make particular pieces of equipment. Saying you have to grind in order to beat a monster is just a sign of you not being good enough to beat the monster as is. No shame in admitting that.

Soloing Jhen is probably the one time you need a specific setup in order to win in the time allotted. Every other monster is beatable solo with no armor provided you have a level appropriate weapon (and enough skill).

I agree that the learning curve could be softened a bit but I and countless others have already explained why the game is designed as is so I'm not sure why you're repeating yourself. Let me just say that your ultimate goal as a hunter should be to finish the quest without using healing items of any kind. But if you ever have to use one, the game forces you to know when to use it. Difficult concept to understand, am I right?

Armor is never required if you have enough skill. Weapon strength only matters in the extreme cases (such as using a rusted weapon on endgame monsters). The only times you have to grind is when you need enough HR points to unlock the next set of quests or if you want to make particular pieces of equipment. Saying you have to grind in order to beat a monster is just a sign of you not being good enough to beat the monster as is. No shame in admitting that.

Soloing Jhen is probably the one time you need a specific setup in order to win in the time allotted. Every other monster is beatable solo with no armor provided you have a level appropriate weapon (and enough skill).

You always seem to think what I say is self referential... I'm not having a hard time with any monster. I did take way too long to kil the first GJ, but that's because I was using it wrong. Other than that I've been breezing through the game. But I'm hardly an example of the average player... The faults are there, I just point them out, no matter if they affect me or not... (the HR grinding online did get on my personal nerves... Was so sick of killing ludroths and qurupecos).

The only reason I "keep at it" is because you yourselves keep justifying it. And I think such decisions are unjustifiable, regardless of wether or not the fans like it. It prevents the game from being better, imo. No matter, this is pointless, lets discuss our love of it, not our pet peeves.

ShinNL

Hello Oxigen_Waste,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Shin and I'm here to address a few points that you've made in your posts.

First of all, let me clarify that you should stop covering your ears while stating that other people are covering their ears. Now having said that, let me point out a few things.

1. The idea of a delay in potion use has been addressed several times before you even stated this delay. Can you elaborate why this has missed your eyes when you pointed out this delay potion use? I suggest you to take a look at previous posts with excellent points.
Drink a potion carelessly? Eat an attack.
I think the game is just not for you or you have the wrong expectations, you might have noticed how everything is slow by design. It takes about 4 seconds to drink a potion and you can't walk while doing that, it takes more time than that to place a trap.
Or the player can learn/use one of the various ways to not waste traps? The possibility of wasting traps is a deterrent to indiscriminate trap spamming, similar to how the the flexing animation discourages potion chugging. Or we could introduce regenerating health so that players don't have to learn when to use potions or have to worry about running out!
Actually the strategic element seems to be pretty planned out. I'd guess almost all of the delays are deliberate. Look at how long it takes you to heal and sharpen your sword. You really have to time these movements, just like how you have to time when to attack and when to sheathe and run. And later on in the game you get armour that lets you remove some of these delays, which can play into your strategy.
Yes, there's even an armor skill for faster healing.

Hitboxes and controls are an important part of the game. My personal beliefs are that you do not fully understand the most enjoyable (debatable) part of the game. It's comparable to a fighting game in the sense that someone could love the game while pushing buttons with random intentions. But to fully grasp the game, it's essential to understand positioning, moves performed based on input, moments of punishing, etc. The same can be said about Monster Hunter.

3. Naked runs exist ever since Monster Hunter got popular. It's a showcase of skill. From my understanding you know this is possible, but to put it to task is in my opinion a different feat. If you haven't tried it yet, you should now. The goal of not getting a single hit greatly burdens your mind as you have to fully avoid attacks whilst still having a great damage output. I would showcase a few of my own no-hit videos, but unfortunately my gaming YouTube account has been disabled a while back.
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...0331.0.10458.25.25.1.0.0.0.141.1355.23j1.24.0.

Finally, let me add this personal point of mine:
I think you're fucking obnoxious as hell. I think you're extremely fucking rude to everyone by ignoring their posts. Several pointing have wrote several paragraphs in a post trying to address you in a civilized manner, then your last post clearly shows you haven't read any of it. Then you throw insults at everyone who disagrees with you ("You're a hardcore fanboy and know nothing about the truth about the controls!!!1!") and stick with the "I am right and you are wrong" stance. Not only that, you repeat your stance while staying this obnoxious. I play games that are almost their own genres, like Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Starcraft. Freaking generic reviewers know nothing about the depth in those games. Don't pretend they do, and don't pretend you do. You could play hundreds of hours spamming shoryuken mindlessly in Street Fighter, just like how you can spam your super pound with the hammer and chuck potions until you're out of. It still doesn't mean you understand what the fuck you're talking about.

Stop saying a knight should move straight and that chess has bad movement. If you don't understand why a knight moves like it does, go play some checkers.

Sincerely,
-Shin

ShinNL

Wait wait wait what?! Man. Man.

Do you have any backups? There were some awesome moments there.
Not sure, probably. But then I have to dig through my old dusty notebook, which I don't feel like it's worth it. Plus all the more reason to make newer, cooler videos, right? :)

Though I haven't played Tri in forever, mainly because I don't have my Wii hooked up at the moment.

On that note, my programming skills have improved a ton lately. I could remake the original community hook up tool in a pretty short time if I wanted, one that perhaps also mails when people are online. I can do it if enough people want this. I'm over the grudge enough from the original ban by an evil mod that killed all my motivation for making it.

You always seem to think what I say is self referential... I'm not having a hard time with any monster. I did take way too long to kil the first GJ, but that's because I was using it wrong. Other than that I've been breezing through the game. But I'm hardly an example of the average player... The faults are there, I just point them out, no matter if they affect me or not...
Because you keep making ignorant statements about not knowing why certain actions have delays or complaining about not having enough time to kill monsters without grinding for better equipment? Or should I expect your posts to be derived from somebody else's experience with MH? Like say game reviewers from select Western publications?

I would call you a troll given the constant fellating of Demon Souls in comparison to MH in every other post but you haven't complained about the lack of lock-on yet.

On that note, my programming skills have improved a ton lately. I could remake the original community hook up tool in a pretty short time if I wanted, one that perhaps also mails when people are online. I can do it if enough people want this. I'm over the grudge enough from the original ban by an evil mod that killed all my motivation for making it.
I remember seeing that tool in this thread (or the original community thread) and wondering what it was. Sounds awesome but I don't know if MH3-GAF is active enough right now to justify the time spent on remaking it. Would certainly appreciate it though!

Chuckpebble

I remember seeing that tool in this thread (or the original community thread) and wondering what it was. Sounds awesome but I don't know if MH3-GAF is active enough right now to justify the time spent on remaking it. Would certainly appreciate it though!

I'd use it. Not sure exactly how it works though, but I'd give it a try.

ShinNL

Let's see how it works right now. I remember it was quite functional already, but I had to manually add people or edit data.

So you go on to the site, select region and then do a simple 'ping' that you're online. The site then creates a message for you to copy paste like so:

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
EU - HJHKPB - Shin (Soneet)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40
The image is generated and always refreshes every 2 minutes or so, so the last time you've logged in is clearly visible for others to see.

I remember wanting to create a personal hunter guild card image as well. So if you registered on the site with like your e-mail or something, you could paste a quote that shows your main weapon type, more info about yourself and maybe your regular server, instead of the generic list that shows everyone online.

Since I haven't played with my Wii for a long time, I kinda forgot that MH3 was the exception in that you don't need to be friends with someone if you want to receive a personal message. That's handy, so I guess I see no need to make any email option.

I could build on the current one (m3.soneet.com) to make it work sometime later this week, if enough people are interested.

ajim

After not playing MH for over a year (I'm HR 78? on my original file I think), I decided to start a new file and see how far I can take my character with only the original Jaggi armour. Currently HR20 and still going strong.

Just took down my first Barrioth and Diablos last night - Goddamn I love fighting Diablos.

Looking forward to see how far I go with just the Jaggi armour.

Still one of the finest gaming experiences I've ever had.

Effect

Wow. Hadn't played MH in a long time even after telling myself I was going to get back into until an hour or so ago. I clearly remember enjoying it when I got it. I remember being able to handle the combat but now it just isn't clicking at all no matter what weapon I tried (sword/shield, greatsword, and lance). The only difference I can spot that might have something to do with it is that I was now using the classic controller pro. I got one for my birthday and have been using that to play Xenoblade. I just didn't bother to disconnect it tonight as I was playing Xenoblade earlier. The difference in controller couldn't possibly be making that much of a difference in terms of enjoyment could it?

I'll try playing again with my nunchuck and wii remote (the way I originally played the game) tomorrow or Saturday and see if that is different. If it is wow. Otherwise I sadly no longer care for this type of gameplay anymore. Which would be a first for me as I've never liked a style of game and then later one be turned off by it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Interestingly, I just started playing again after letting it sit for a few months (playing Xeno just made me want to play Tri, oddly.) Just beat
Gobul
and unlocked the
frozen mountains
or something. Single-player-wise, I mean. Should be great!

If anyone's up for a party tomorrow, I'll try to be on. :)

Hiltz

It's a mighty fine game and among my top 3 favorites on the Wii. Anyway, while some players like using the Wii remote & nunchuck, I personally found it to be terrible for this game. The control scheme is odd and the d-pad for camera control is clunky. I almost hated the MH Tri demo simply because of the Wii remote controls. Bloody confusing.The classic controller pro is far more intuitive and offers superior camera control so most players prefer it.

Effect, the controls are likely only half the issue. You're skills may just be a little rusty since you haven't played in a long time. Gotta get used to the timing of attacks and dodging again.

Note: You can only unlock the new switch axe weapon in the online multiplayer mode.

I'm usually on nearly every day on the North American server. Same user name (ID # 4PEXXK)

Proven

It's a mighty fine game and among my top 3 favorites on the Wii. Anyway, while some players like using the Wii remote & nunchuck, I personally found it to be terrible for this game. The control scheme is odd and the d-pad for camera control is clunky. I almost hated the MH Tri demo simply because of the Wii remote controls. Bloody confusing.The classic controller pro is far more intuitive and offers superior camera control so most players prefer it.

Effect, the controls are likely only half the issue. You're skills may just be a little rusty since you haven't played in a long time. Gotta get used to the timing of attacks and dodging again.

Note: You can only unlock the new switch axe weapon in the online multiplayer mode.

I'm usually on nearly every day on the North American server. Same user name (ID # 4PEXXK)

I can't really call much about the CC Pro controls intuitive. Things like using items, certain attack combos, and the fact that camera movement feels more digital than analog... Then again, I learned the controls from renting and playing through the single player. So the game got to ease me in instead of throwing me right up against a monster like in the demo. I probably wouldn't have gotten the game if I had played the demo first, Nunchuck or CC Pro.

And you can unlock Switch Axe from playing single player only. It's made to be the last one you find. If I remember right, it comes after the trading ship starts visiting Moga Village.

Wow. Hadn't played MH in a long time even after telling myself I was going to get back into until an hour or so ago. I clearly remember enjoying it when I got it. I remember being able to handle the combat but now it just isn't clicking at all no matter what weapon I tried (sword/shield, greatsword, and lance).
Give it some time. I'm horrible at retaining the timing for this game. If I take a week or so off without playing, my quality of play gets so bad. :[

How accurate is the wiki? Been farmin agna for claws and even though supposedly you have 54% chance of getting 1 for each claw you break and 12% of getting one as a cap reward, after capping him 8 times whilst ALWAYS breaking all 4 of his claws I have yet to get a single claw... The likelyhood of that happening if the wiki is to be trsusted is pretty much almost 0%, so what gives???

How accurate is the wiki? Been farmin agna for claws and even though supposedly you have 54% chance of getting 1 for each claw you break and 12% of getting one as a cap reward, after capping him 8 times whilst ALWAYS breaking all 4 of his claws I have yet to get a single claw... The likelyhood of that happening if the wiki is to be trsusted is pretty much almost 0%, so what gives???
It's not 54% for each claw. It's 54% chance of getting some in the break rewards if you break all 4. Breaking less than 4 means you don't get any in the break rewards. If you've been breaking every claw in every quest, you're just unlucky with the RNG.

The Wiki could very well be wrong but every other MH3 site seems to have those figures. I don't know if they all got the numbers from the same source or if they were ever independently verified.

The only item that took me forever to get were Rathalos Rubies.

Seems what I am is too lucky... I've gotten loads of firestones, which apparently are the drops with the lower percentage...

Anyway, how exactly does what you say work like? I ask this because the first time I killed an agna I got 3 claws in the quest rewards and I killed it. Which lead me to conclude that each claw I broke would have a 54% chance of gettin 1 claw in the rewards...

Nicktals

Banned
Seems what I am is too lucky... I've gotten loads of firestones, which apparently are the drops with the lower percentage...

Anyway, how exactly does what you say work like? I ask this because the first time I killed an agna I got 3 claws in the quest rewards and I killed it. Which lead me to conclude that each claw I broke would have a 54% chance of gettin 1 claw in the rewards...

No, you've gotta break all 4. Doesn't matter if you kill or cap (if i recall), as long as you make sure to break all 4. If you're having a lot of trouble, make sure to build a set that increases item rewards. There's a skill that increases drops in general, and a skill that increases drops with caps. If you're good enough at fighting Agna then you can build a set with both of these skills and you'll have a much better chance...i remember it's how i finally managed to get those damn wyvern gems/stones/whatever they are.

60448-1.png

That shows you which of the rewards is from quest/break/capture/subquest. I'm sure you've noticed that certain rewards have multiple quantities per square. I don't remember if low rank Agna Claws come in multiples of 3 but the high rank Claw+ comes in multiples of 2 on the quest rewards screen.

You definitely only get Claws as a break reward if you break all four. One of the nuisances of getting them when playing with online randoms is that too often you have team members wailing on Agna (but not its claws) and Agna dies before all 4 claws get broken. :/

sixghost

This game is really fun. I've only played for about 5-6 hours, but I'm probably hooked. Even having played Dark Souls, I wasn't ready for the controls. No lock-on is rough, and the extremely slow speed of most weapons really does not help. The camera is a pain, but I've been using the Nunchuk/Wiimote, and I assume the the classic controller pro handles that better.

That said, the Great Jaggi hunt sold me. It took me two tries and I was down to less than one minutes remaining one the second try and finally killed it. Hunting that thing for all of 50 minutes straight was such a unique experience. I'm sure it would have taken much less if I knew what I was doing, but I enjoyed the hell of out it.

Effect

Okay I think I figured out what my issue was. Only played a little last night but I realized two things. I was sitting to close. Since I've been playing my PS3 a lot more in the past few months I was using a oval like chair to see closer to the TV. That made the game look worse compared to how I remembered it. Where I'm sitting now is to far back so might move a bit closer but not to close.

The second thing I noticed was that I simply wasn't not being patient enough. I was playing a lot of Modern Warfare 3 at the time and Xenoblade. Those games are significantly faster paced and that was affecting how I was playing Monster Hunter a game where I need to more deliberate with my actions. I think playing TERA might be helping as well do to how combat works in that game. So I took some time and just walked around now doing any fighting to get used to the controls again. Then spent a few minutes just swinging my weapon, putting it away, running, using the menu system, etc.

Going to be using the great sword and trying to stick with that for several hours (playtime) and see how good I get with it. Have to remember to loot when I can and simply not rush. Since I didn't get very far the last time I tried playing I just restarted a new character as a fresh start. Finished fixing the base camp before logging out.

I do think I need to find something to play in the background while playing though. MH is to quiet. It's just you and the monsters. Part of why I want to play the 3DS version. This way I can play while watching TV or doing something on my PC. So I guess I'll try running some twitch tv stream or youtube videos on my Kindle Fire as I play.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Tri is awesome...I remember the moment I was able to hunt something huge. That's a rush when you get it right!

Is there any chance we'll see another MH stateside anytime soon? I'd LOVE a PS3 version, but I don't see that happening. The only other portable I have is the 3DS, but I'm not really sure what the deal with that MH is...

Effect

Hmm. Lance seems to be working out better then the Great Sword. So might be sticking with that instead now that I can get guild quest. I'm trying to remember if it was the Great Sword I used before or if it was the Long Sword. Could have been the later.

Is it better to stick with one weapon or change them up depending on what I might be fighting or will it not matter and it's up to personal preference?

upandaway

Hmm. Lance seems to be working out better then the Great Sword. So might be sticking with that instead now that I can get guild quest. I'm trying to remember if it was the Great Sword I used before or if it was the Long Sword. Could have been the later.

Is it better to stick with one weapon or change them up depending on what I might be fighting or will it not matter and it's up to personal preference?
Dunno about "better", but I have a lot more fun with the game when I'm free to choose the weapon based on the quest and based on what I feel like using at the time.

Also while going through the game single player, it'll be easier if you have at least 2 weapons to choose from. For example the first time I hit Qurupeco, I wasn't NEARLY good enough with the Lance to consistently hit his head, and I could have done much better if I used something else.

But in the end all weapons can beat all monsters and there are fans for each of them.

Chuckpebble

Could be nothing, just reporting that I was unable to have my morning hunt with my cup of coffee. The connection error was unlike anything I've seen before, it comes during the green bar that fills with a percentage at the very onset of the online connection process. It climbs to about 70% and then says PSYCH! Error.

My internet was live and stable, managed to download the demo to MotoHeroz quite easily.

Tried reconnecting several times, even after a few restarts. Same results.

So, is this the end?

Effect

I have wondered if Capcom would close the servers at some point. Both in Japan and outside of it. The japanese have Tri G and soon 4. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a significant drop off when it comes to those paying to play Tri online in Japan. We of course don't have to pay and as result Capcom could pull the plug anything they wish.

If Capcom did close the servers I wonder could you still get into the City hub and do those missions solo and offline? My Wii is constantly connected so I've never thought about trying until now.

Chuckpebble

I've found a few Youtube videos about customizing the quests in offline to be their online counterparts. Looks interesting. Resources listed for it are forever lost to megaupload though.

I'm sure whenever they do pull the plug, a few dedicated fans might find a way to spoof the servers on a locally networked PC, but enough of this talk. I'm having a hard time looking around the internet right now trying to figure out if anyone else can connect. I guess its only about 2000 people out there that this affects though.

Can anyone here get on?

Doorman

Could be nothing, just reporting that I was unable to have my morning hunt with my cup of coffee. The connection error was unlike anything I've seen before, it comes during the green bar that fills with a percentage at the very onset of the online connection process. It climbs to about 70% and then says PSYCH! Error.

I've had errors like this come up since the very first time I played Tri online, and they still crop up every once in a while (the having initial progress stop while attempting to load the progress bar). I haven't tried it yet today but it was working just fine as recently as yesterday in the early morning, so I doubt they would've just cut things off with no warning or announcement of any kind. Probably just some sort of server hiccup.

Chuckpebble

I had issues too, with wifi, the thing that made that all go away was the usb LAN adaptor. Worked like a charm for a month straight then this, its error 11607. Here's what Nintendo said about it:

Error Code: 11607
Monster Hunter Tri

There was in issue during your initial connection. Please review the following information:

There could be a temporary issue with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection servers. Please wait a few hours and try again.

Ensure your home internet connection is working properly. Use a PC that is attached to your home router and visit a website that you have not been to before, in order to check that the connection is currently working.

Try adjusting the "Channel" your wireless router broadcasts on. We highly recommend setting your wireless router to either channel 1 or 11. This can potentially increase stability. For information on accessing your router's settings, click here to select the brand name and model number of your router (if available).

Within the Wii's system settings, erase the current connection file you use to connect your Wii online, and set up a new one. To do this, access the "Internet" option from the Wii settings. For step-by-step instructions, click here.

As this may be due to an issue with your network’s firewall, please review the firewall information located here.

If you are still receiving this error code after waiting a few hours and trying the steps above, please call 1-800-255-3700 for assistance.

Tried all of that and was about to give up when I read this:

I had this too. My solution was to enable connect24 and sent myself an e-mail. I had read this on the net. Dont ask me why, but it worked.

Literally, just did the trick, a minute ago!

When the servers do finally go down I imagine I'll be one of the first to notice since I head online every Friday at 8:00 pm. When that happens, I'd love to know if there was a way to unlock the online monsters at the very least. Or better yet, Capcom, just release TriG over here already!

Chuckpebble

When the servers do finally go down I imagine I'll be one of the first to notice since I head online every Friday at 8:00 pm. When that happens, I'd love to know if there was a way to unlock the online monsters at the very least. Or better yet, Capcom, just release TriG over here already!

Don't worry, you'll see a post from me, I go on daily before work.

Top Bottom