• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Skype ID: nicoga3000
Hunter Name: nicoga3000
Hunter ID: 3EYX29
Server: USA

I'm grabbing a USB keyboard to use, too. I typically get on Steam and voice chat with my other friend who I play with. It's a lot easier to voice chat than it is type in the middle of a fight...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Our small group started playing again during Christmas break where we each have a couple weeks off. We've committed to at least 2 Deviljhos per day, and whatever else. Jho pretty simple for our group now.

I wish 3G had a NA release date. I'm afraid they'll make us wait until 4. ;_;

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm thinking about picking this game up. I'm disappointed to hear that it's missing some weapon types that the portable games have though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm thinking about picking this game up. I'm disappointed to hear that it's missing some weapon types that the portable games have though.

For what it lacks in content compared to the portable series, it makes up for in pure polish and great controls. Considering how cheap you can pick it up now, it's definitely worth picking up. NA Servers still have plenty of people on too.

You guys are mostly in the Central/Eastern time zones, right? I probably logged on way too late today and missed you guys.

We really should decide on a new GAF city/gate though.

Lance, Jason, and myself regularly pop on Fridays. I come on around 8:00 central time and tend to play until midnight or later.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Lance, Jason, and myself regularly pop on Fridays. I come on around 8:00 central time and tend to play until midnight or later.
How tolerant are you guys of newbies? I played my fair share back in the day, but I'm pretty rusty atm and never finished my end-game armor set.

How tolerant are you guys of newbies? I played my fair share back in the day, but I'm pretty rusty atm and never finished my end-game armor set.

Pretty tolerant I'd say, since we get visited by randoms often enough and usually don't mind. We're veterans of such advanced caliber ;) that we're pretty laid back.

Nicktals

Banned
Anyone still hopping on regularly or interested in a get-together sometime in the next week? I haven't been on in a few months and I'm sure to be extremely rusty, but I've had the urge to revisit this game (probably because I'm excited for 3g for 3ds (assuming it gets localized)) and was wondering if anyone else stills gets on or would be interested?

Anyone still hopping on regularly or interested in a get-together sometime in the next week? I haven't been on in a few months and I'm sure to be extremely rusty, but I've had the urge to revisit this game (probably because I'm excited for 3g for 3ds (assuming it gets localized)) and was wondering if anyone else stills gets on or would be interested?

I'm still on same time every Friday, 8 central.

Chuckpebble

Hey guys, really, really stupid question here. OK, so I've got about 1000 hours in this game, but I've got a problem. In the hopes that MH3G comes out of Japan at all, I decided to acquaint myself with the Classic 1 control scheme. Here's my exact question:

How do you consistently do the smash charge with the great sword? I've been using freestyle all this time, and I simply start a charge in the middle of a combo and it'll be that one that starts off with a slightly altered stance. Using the face button controls, though, I seem to only be able to do this randomly. Help. I've looked up videos on it, but no one explains what they're doing or even the exact combo. I've even seen one where they say its the smash charge, but it doesn't look like it.

The initial charge is always one where the arms are over the head, the one I'm looking for starts out off to the side, looking almost like it'll be a horizontal attack.

john tv

Hey guys, really, really stupid question here. OK, so I've got about 1000 hours in this game, but I've got a problem. In the hopes that MH3G comes out of Japan at all, I decided to acquaint myself with the Classic 1 control scheme. Here's my exact question:

How do you consistently do the smash charge with the great sword? I've been using freestyle all this time, and I simply start a charge in the middle of a combo and it'll be that one that starts off with a slightly altered stance. Using the face button controls, though, I seem to only be able to do this randomly. Help. I've looked up videos on it, but no one explains what they're doing or even the exact combo. I've even seen one where they say its the smash charge, but it doesn't look like it.

The initial charge is always one where the arms are over the head, the one I'm looking for starts out off to the side, looking almost like it'll be a horizontal attack.

Have you tried checking the Hunter's Notes? Thought they explain most of the moves in there? (Not sure on this particular one myself as I'm a hammer guy.)

Mondriaan

Isn't that the charge that you can only do as a follow-up attack? Holding the left stick forward when pressing the x (charge attack) button should do it.

ShinNL

I haven't played in forever, so figure out what buttons to press for this order of attacks:

Use vertical attack (charge or non-charged) or kick.
Side tap with GS.
Ultimate smash (or vertical attack for infinite loop).

Using the final smash will end the combo (roll).

PS. CC2 control scheme is the way to go.

Have you tried checking the Hunter's Notes? Thought they explain most of the moves in there? (Not sure on this particular one myself as I'm a hammer guy.)
I'm really amazed by statements like these, as I'm always an all-weapon guy. It's kind of like a fighting game, some people really focus on 1 or 2 characters while I play lots (and of course this doesn't change my skills).

Mondriaan

PS. CC2 control scheme is the way to go.

I'm really amazed by statements like these, as I'm always an all-weapon guy. It's kind of like a fighting game, some people really focus on 1 or 2 characters while I play lots (and of course this doesn't change my skills).
Cool. You can use the CC2 control scheme with MH3G? That's news to me.

Khezu

Haven't played this game seriously in a long ass time, got to like HR 50-60 when it first came out, then stopped playing.

Decided to try it again but my disk was broken somehow, so I had to buy one off amazon, should get it next week.

How active is the online still? Probably going to want to start a new character and get back to 50.

Haven't played this game seriously in a long ass time, got to like HR 50-60 when it first came out, then stopped playing.

Decided to try it again but my disk was broken somehow, so I had to buy one off amazon, should get it next week.

How active is the online still? Probably going to want to start a new character and get back to 50.

6 to 7 hundred people on the Recruiting servers on weeknights. Probably a bit over 8 hundred on weekends. I don't go on the Open servers often but I'd assume a few hundred on those during peak hours.

No idea about Rookie servers since I can't access them but the Expert servers are pretty quiet (~100 on a good day).

tranciful

So I'm considering getting it if I can convince a couple friends to get it too. Just want to confirm we'd be able to play online for free etc. Online servers still up and everything?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Killed Barroth on my first try in exactly 30 minutes. Uh, that was this big tough boss guy all the noobs freak over?

Although I did have to use all my potions and died once.

I'm so scared to progress in quests...god this is like a survival horror game.

Lol that's why I held off on Barroth.

Emitan

Killed Barroth on my first try in exactly 30 minutes. Uh, that was this big tough boss guy all the noobs freak over?

Lol that's why I held off on Barroth.

Haven't played in a while. I think Barroth is next. I'm a bit scared.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Haven't played in a while. I think Barroth is next. I'm a bit scared.

He ain't too bad. Just have plenty of potions. Getting the tail off was the hard part, 90% of the time it's too high, I only managed to cut it off when he was sleeping lol.

Raide

It's based on what disk you have AFAIK. And I think NA and EU have different servers.

I have the PAL disc, so thats ok. The Wii is so much easier to send over here than my 360 is. :D

Any idea if I need to change the power supply to get the Wii working, or do I have to mess with step-down transformers?

Emitan

I have the PAL disc, so thats ok. The Wii is so much easier to send over here than my 360 is. :D

Any idea if I need to change the power supply to get the Wii working, or do I have to mess with step-down transformers?

I can't help with that. I've used American electronics in Europe several times, but I've never been to Japan.

Log4Girlz

Finally got the full peco armor and got a cataclysm sword (gotta start going online to I can upgrade it!). So nice to WTF pwn Qurupeco now. I still need to learn Rathian's patterns, but I just beat that quest...damn regular potions are as effective as mega potions with this armor! I'm still such a noob lol.

Ultratech

That's usually the first wall people run into. Grats!

Took me at least two tries before I knocked him down the first time. Was pretty epic when I managed to finally kill him though. Trapped him, went for a Jumping Slash, and BOOM! Split his head open.

Of course, he's not that bad once you figure him out.

Finally got the full peco armor and got a cataclysm sword (gotta start going online to I can upgrade it!). So nice to WTF pwn Qurupeco now. I still need to learn Rathian's patterns, but I just beat that quest...damn regular potions are as effective as mega potions with this armor! I'm still such a noob lol.

Peco armor is pretty good. Rathian isn't too hard to learn, so it shouldn't be too bad for ya.

Peru

Barroth is one of my favorite fights (so far--- I'm past the second lagi, break from MH3 to play MH:FU), just love to get all up close and personal and chip away with a s&s, love how physical the fight is.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's usually the first wall people run into. Grats!

Took me at least two tries before I knocked him down the first time. Was pretty epic when I managed to finally kill him though. Trapped him, went for a Jumping Slash, and BOOM! Split his head open.

Of course, he's not that bad once you figure him out.

I think it was probably fighting him in a group online several times. Those times I basically did nothing but watch and chip away a bit (and also die.) :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't mind underwater fighting, it's OK, I just wish that Zr and Zl moved you up and down in the water in CT1. They do so in CT2, but the buttons basically do nothing in CT1 which I don't get at all. What a waste.

Log4Girlz

If I play online solo, will creatures be a lot tougher, or do they get tougher when more people joing a party? Or are they just the same difficulty?

I don't mind underwater fighting, it's OK, I just wish that Zr and Zl moved you up and down in the water in CT1. They do so in CT2, but the buttons basically do nothing in CT1 which I don't get at all. What a waste.
I don't know how CCP2 differs since I use CCP1 but there should be a way to change your swimming controls in the option submenu. The default has your character swimming in the direction in which your camera points. Zl/Zr should move your character up/down in this case. You might have to be still for this work, I'm not sure.

The other method decouples camera control from swim direction and you have to hold Zl/Zr to swim up/down. Otherwise, your character is locked to the horizontal plane. The beauty of this control method is that you can move vertically more quickly to avoid attacks like Lagi's hipcheck.

Log4Girlz

You know what. Fuck underwater battles. I get the Lagiacrus to limp over to the little cave at tip of D. Island and I'm at full health...after a real fucking long as hell, difficult, awkward battle underwater. Well in those tiny confines he gets me...I'm at full health and wasn't able to evade in time...then in his next attack I get nipped in the ass when evading...was a pixel away from not getting hit. I get stunned...for what seems like FOREVER...only to die.

FUUUUUUU

:(

Rotate the sticks and mash buttons to get out of a dizzy more quickly. Shake the Wiimote if you're not using the CCP. This also works for mud/snow and online arm wrestling.

Peru

I definitely get sweaty palms and nervous ticks when fighting underwater battles, but I still like them. Something epic about swimming across a big monster's back, trying to hack away.

Log4Girlz

:(

Rotate the sticks and mash buttons to get out of a dizzy more quickly. Shake the Wiimote if you're not using the CCP. This also works for mud/snow and online arm wrestling.

Uhh...I could do that? Fuuuuu

Edit: YAY finally beat the mofo. Did it far more easily this time (off line mode). I learned about potions and drank demon drug, mega nutrients, armor skin. WOO

Log4Girlz

OHMAGAWD, while trying to capture Lagiacrus in the flooded forest, right near the end of my battle...somehow, someway my controller went crazy and trying to unsheath my weapon or evading made me swim straight down. Fortunately, at the last second before dying L decided to go rest someplace...had to re-sync the controller...omg.

OHMAGAWD, while trying to capture Lagiacrus in the flooded forest, right near the end of my battle...somehow, someway my controller went crazy and trying to unsheath my weapon or evading made me swim straight down. Fortunately, at the last second before dying L decided to go rest someplace...had to re-sync the controller...omg.

I have a Wii remote that had the nun-chuck ripped out of it once. Now that particular remote has a recurring issue with the nun-chuck or classic controller. Once in a while the character I'm controlling will simply start moving forward. I still have control but it's like I'm pushing forward on the stick at all times. To stop this I have to unplug, then replug the nun-chuck or classic controller from the Wii remote. Your problem sounds similar.

Log4Girlz

I have a Wii remote that had the nun-chuck ripped out of it once. Now that particular remote has a recurring issue with the nun-chuck or classic controller. Once in a while the character I'm controlling will simply start moving forward. I still have control but it's like I'm pushing forward on the stick at all times. To stop this I have to unplug, then replug the nun-chuck or classic controller from the Wii remote. Your problem sounds similar.

Yeah. It happens each time I have to shake the controller to get out of something...like being knocked out or being eaten by a dragon. Then suddenly, boom lose of or messing up of controls :(

Kurod

Banned
Anyone feeling up for some hunts? I haven't played in awhile so I'm a bit rusty and up for anything to help me get back into the swing of things.

HR: 75
Online name: Krod
Online ID: ZBTQXM

Top Bottom