• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

botticus

I had pretty good luck with the SnS in the demo, so I'll be leaning towards that early on. I would like to get better with one of the heavier weapons as well, though.

Soneet said:
Choosing only 1 weapon in Monster Hunter is like choosing only 1 character in Street Fighter: you can finish the whole game and completely master that one playstyle and no one will blame you for it. But once you try more characters weapons you'll see there's plenty left to learn and the game is much more variating than you initially think it was.

As I said before, start off with 2, so you'll develop a tendency for switching types for certain quests and sooner or later you'll try all weapons instead of never knowing the idea of changing gear before a quest. Then after a while you'll notice some weapons go well with certain armor skills and you'll make specific sets for weapons.
Thank you for the speedy response. Shame we wont be able to play together. I think im watching a stream where the pirate cant get it to load. Of course i am VERY fuzzy on how all of that kinda stuff works. Preloader is like having a virtual drive ala the pc right?

Noob questions:

What's the best melee weapon to get that has a wide radius? I hated missing attacks so much in the demo.

How easy is it to play online with people? Will I have to share friend codes? How long does it take to get into a quest with people online?

Poyunch

robut said:
Noob questions:

What's the best melee weapon to get that has a wide radius? I hated missing attacks so much in the demo.

How easy is it to play online with people? Will I have to share friend codes? How long does it take to get into a quest with people online?
Long Sword and no friend codes.

Neo C. said:
Do you guys gonna buy the WiiSpeaker? It seems the co-op more or less demands it.
Already own one. :p

Pancho

Qurupancho
The enthusiasm in this thread of both newbs and vets alike is making me really excited! Might be the first game I'll play with fellow GAFfers:D

Tenbatsu

Sammy Samusu said:
Can someone please explain me the details behind Bowgun's frames, barrels and stocks?

Thanks.
You can mix and match the Bowgun's parts (frame, barrel and stock) and a weight of 29 and below will be a light bow (able to side step after firing), 30 - 70 will be a middle bow (able to roll after firing) and 70 up will be a heavy bow.

Eg. If you wanna carry more normal bullets lvl 2, you can actually find:
Frame with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 +3
Barrel with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 + 3
Stock with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 + 3

From there, you will have 9 normal bullets which you can fire before a reload. You can also equip skills like 'normal bullet up' thru armor combination which increase the amount by 3 more. However thats a limit to how many each bullets type a gun can hold.

antispin said:
What's inside that treasure chest?
Game, Wii Speak, Classic Controller Pro and a Dragon head figure.

D-Pad

Awesome thread, Luigiv! :D Can't wait for my copy.

Neo C. said:
Do you guys gonna buy the WiiSpeaker? It seems the co-op more or less demands it.

I was just going to use my wireless USB keyboard, but it looks like I'll have to if I don't want to be shunned. :<

Teknoman

D-Pad said:
Awesome thread, Luigiv! :D Can't wait for my copy.

I was just going to use my wireless USB keyboard, but it looks like I'll have to if I don't want to be shunned. :<

As long as you have a communication method that can reach anyone on the Wii.

ShinNL

Is there an in-game keyboard, or will non USB-keyboard owners and non-Wii Speak owners walk like soulless hunters and do a gesture once in a while?

Tenbatsu said:
You can mix and match the Bowgun's parts (frame, barrel and stock) and a weight of 29 and below will be a light bow (able to side step after firing), 30 - 70 will be a middle bow (able to roll after firing) and 70 up will be a heavy bow.

Eg. If you wanna carry more normal bullets lvl 2, you can actually find:
Frame with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 +3
Barrel with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 + 3
Stock with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 + 3

From there, you will have 9 normal bullets which you can fire before a reload. You can also equip skills like 'normal bullet up' thru armor combination which increase the amount by 3 more. However thats a limit to how many each bullets type a gun can hold.
O_O :D

Thanks! And one more question! What is this "Dev" bowgun status I keep hearing about?

Already own a wiispeak but I'm also considering a keyboard. I'm more inclined to purchase a wireless keyboard but honestly I have no idea how the wii handles generic drivers. I doubt they work. Anyone have any input?

D-Pad

manofmandango said:
Already own a wiispeak but I'm also considering a keyboard. I'm more inclined to purchase a wireless keyboard but honestly I have no idea how the wii handles generic drivers. I doubt they work. Anyone have any input?

I'm using a logitech wireless keyboard I was using with another computer before. The wireless adapter(or antenna?) has a usb end for the keyboard and the round green end for the mouse. It wouldn't fit in my new computer (which only had usb ports, not the round ports) so I just plugged it into the Wii. It works just fine now that I think about it. All I had to do was plug it in...

Tenbatsu

Soneet said:
Is there an in-game keyboard, or will non USB-keyboard owners and non-Wii Speak owners walk like soulless hunters and do a gesture once in a while?
Yes there is an in-game keyboard.

Sammy Samusu said:
O_O :D

Thanks! And one more question! What is this "Dev" bowgun status I keep hearing about?
Deviation? Am not sure if you are referring to that. Its basically means the deviation of your bullets. Some guns don't fire in a straight line but rather bend to the left or right. You can fix this by combining a gun with zero deviation or counter by using armor skills.

Burai

shitonmychest57
manofmandango said:

Nintendo added support for generic HID-compliant USB keyboards a few firmware updates ago.

Pretty much any wired USB or RF dongle wireless USB keyboard should work.

Tenbatsu said:
Deviation? Am not sure if you are referring to that. Its basically means the deviation of your bullets. Some guns don't fire in a straight line but rather bend to the left or right. You can fix this by combining a gun with zero deviation or counter by using armor skills.
Hummmm! Yes, it must reflect accuracy of shots, it's just that I saw a bunch of off-screen pics and one had this "Dev - Low L/R", so I'm guessing shots will be going either lower left or lower right,
right
?

And one last thing! I'm browsing throught MH3Wiki and the Light Bowgun Frame has an attack of 60, which is followed by 96 and 180. Like this: Attack: 60 ~ 96 ~ 180

Does it mean 60 for shots from afar, 96 for medium range, and 180 for close combat?

jrricky

Banned
depward said:
Huge MH fan, and sold my Wii many moons ago. Sad face. You all have fun now!
...no your not..

no 'huge' fan of anything blows off something so easy with "you all have fun".

and yea i didnt touch the spoiler wiki.

Kyuur

Finally took down both Qurupeco and Great Jaggi within the time limit in the demo! :] Very fond of the Longsword. Can't wait for this! Do pre-orders ship on the day of release or beforehand? I'm really hoping for the latter!

Tenbatsu

Sammy Samusu said:
Hummmm! Yes, it must reflect accuracy of shots, it's just that I saw a bunch of off-screen pics and one had this "Dev - Low L/R", so I'm guessing shots will be going either lower left or lower right,
right
?

And one last thing! I'm browsing throught MH3Wiki and the Light Bowgun Frame has an attack of 60, which is followed by 96 and 180. Like this: Attack: 60 ~ 96 ~ 180

Does it mean 60 for shots from afar, 96 for medium range, and 180 for close combat?
Not lower left or right but rather a little to the left and right. So if it's High dev L/R will be a lot to the left and right.

As for the frame, it's the increase in attack power when you upgrade.

gotee12

Turn my back for 3 seconds and *BLAM*, official thread...

It looks great Luigiv! Now we just need a game disc in hand to go along with it... :D

Vizion28

Banned
I just preordered this game on Amazon where they give you $5 off and $10 video game credit. I also preorderes Mario Galaxy 2 where they give you $20 video game credit. I will probably use the credit to buy Wii points.

I'm curious to know how long do think the servers will be up and running for this game? I will regret buying this game if they shut down the servers in like in 2 years.

Tenbatsu said:
Not lower left or right but rather a little to the left and right. So if it's High dev L/R will be a lot to the left and right.

As for the frame, it's the increase in attack power when you upgrade.
Woot! Thank you mister.

Hello everybody! This is Amber from N-Sider. Back when Endless Ocean: Blue World released the staff at N-Sider ran a special character journal for the game. Now for the release of Monster Hunter Tri I'll be doing the same thing, with one difference. So far, I'm the only N-Sider who's getting the game at this time (yeah, I don't know what's wrong with everybody else either), which means I need some volunteers to join me online.

Now, my original plan saw me starting up the journal a day after the official release date but since I don't have my review copy yet I'm pushing the first online meet up to Friday, April 23 with the first journal post going up on Monday. Online meet ups will take place every other evening for two weeks.

If you're interested in joining me online, here's what you need to know:

Wii Speak mandatory - I'll be covering how well the communication works in my review so I will need everybody participating to have this accessory.

Meet up times (Region is North America) - April 23 at 6:30 CST, April 26 at 6:30 CST, April 28 at 6:30 CST, April 30 at 6:30 CST, May 3 at 6:30 CST, May 5 at 6:30 CST. The final journal entry will be followed by my review for the game. This schedule is not yet set in stone, I will post any changes ASAP.

What 's a Character Journal?
- Basically I've created a character and the journal entries I write will be from her perspective as a person living in the world of Monster Hunter rather than as a gamer player it.

To join me - Send me a private message if you are interested. I'm going to limit the number of people to around 8. Tell me what days you'll be available so I can coordinate this thing. Also, I encourage participants to also create a character and tell me about her/his motivation and background. Be Brief! Just give me enough info that I can run with for my journal entry. All characters I play with will be mentioned. Again, the key words here are Brief Description!

I will post more relevant details after I actually get the game, and by all means, if you have questions for me, ask them in the thread and I'll answer.

This should be a lot of fun and I look forward to taking this game for a serious spin.

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
Soka said:
Same here, and me too. The bad news for me? I have all of my finals coming up in about 2 weeks; by the time the game gets here via the mail, I'll have about a week and a half before finals. I'll have to leave the damn game wrapped up for about 10 days before I'll have the time to really sit down and enjoy it. Curse your release timing, Capcom!

I feel your pain. I'll be away on business for the first 3 days it's out. =/

Anyway, sick OT Luig. Let's show these NA kids what MH is all about. :D

Hiltz

It's going to be great to play this game with other first time players of the franchise along with the veteran Monster Hunter fans.

WillyFive

DragonGirl said:
Hello everybody! This is Amber from N-Sider.

2ui9ox1.gif

For a series rookie, how much difference will using a classic controller/pro make compared to wiimote and nunchuck? I seemed to get along fine in the demo using the wiimote, just wondering the pros and cons of both. Thanks.

Bankoiia

I'm kind of interested in getting into the series. Would this be a good game to start with?

Or should I play
Peace Walker
first? :p

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've played 50 more hours of Portable 2nd G in the past two weeks in anticipation, and now it's finally coming!

May it sell like water.

Exciting!

How is the same-screen co-op in this game? My girlfriend wants to get this game and is wondering if I'll be able to play the game with her on our TV.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
timetokill said:
Exciting!

How is the same-screen co-op in this game? My girlfriend wants to get this game and is wondering if I'll be able to play the game with her on our TV.
Only the Arena mode is playable in split-screen co-op. The regular missions are singleplayer- and online-only.

I am reading about all the monsters in the game right now. I would drive 50 miles right now to get this game today.

IS THERE A SITE LISTING ALL THE STORES THAT HAVE BROKEN STREET DATE?

Teknoman said:
Want to help with the journal, but knowing Gamestop+UPS, i'll probably have some delivery problems.

There's still plenty of time. I'll post when the openings have filled so until then don't hesitate to jump in.

I'm still waiting for my own copy. It's supposed to come early next week but if it doesn't arrive soon enough I'll have to push the schedule back. I'd like at least a few days to get my feet wet. I'm a Monster Hunter noob too. I figure I'll start off with sword and shield and the switchaxe, which really clicked with me in the demo.

Top Bottom