• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

ShinNL

Sites who used to blame on lack of lock-on suddenly don't. That's confusing me, since the only difference between PSP's setup and Wii's is having the same camera controls but on more accessible spots. You still have to manually control the camera.

Example: IGN UK on Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
There's no lock-on and there's no easy way to rotate it seeing as how tapping the Left shoulder button will swing it to your back. This makes it hard to see your surroundings and often leads to your techniques being off, as well as you getting cheaply attacked.

Now, last time when I complained about the lack of lock-on, the board kids flipped out and said I was just playing incorrectly. Apparently, aficionados play with their middle finger on the left shoulder button and their index finger draped across the D-Pad so that they can rotate the camera when they feel like it. This is not a proper control method. This is a fix for a busted scheme. It's not comfortable.

Does this mean people wanted lock-on because the d-pad was hard to reach (I personally never used "the claw" and just switched my thumb to d-pad when I was attacking/rolling)?

Luigiv said:
They're all pretty sub-par next to the main series monsters. Only Beru (Electric Rathalos) is apparently any fun to fight and I still hate his design (Why the hell does he tentacles coming out of his finger tips? Keep that shit in Final Fantasy).

I do like Raviente's design but apparently he's boring as hell to fight.

Most things become boring to fight anyway. Just the thought of more weapons and armors excite me : )

fernoca

Can't wait..
Hope to get the keyboard this week, since I don't like talking...

And heck, who could say no..when they are kinda paying you to get the game.
$5 less..500 Nintendo Points (which is $5)..a demo disc..

The only thing missing was to include one of those Classic Controller skins/stickers that someone around here got a bunch of and posted a picture of them.. :lol

Soneet said:
Sites who used to blame on lack of lock-on suddenly don't. That's confusing me, since the only difference between PSP's setup and Wii's is having the same camera controls but on more accessible spots. You still have to manually control the camera.

Example: IGN UK on Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Does this mean people wanted lock-on because the d-pad was hard to reach (I personally never used "the claw" and just switched my thumb to d-pad when I was attacking/rolling)?

Yes. They wanted Lock on because it was the best solution control wise for the platform. Its a game where everything is constantly moving and if you arent keeping up with the camera you can get screwed within seconds. By moving it to the stick, you make it more comfortable and easier to keep track of the monster constantly regardless of what your character is doing, like using an item or something and therefore isnt a problem with the CC.

Tenbatsu

sotodefonk said:
good job for the offcial thread, can wait to get the game :D

I have some questions..

can I change my character hair and color just like in FU?
do they keeped the earrings to show your characters hair maintaing the defense?
Yes you can change your hair and colour in game anytime. Sorry but I don't understand the second question maybe I never play FU.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Most things become boring to fight anyway. Just the thought of more weapons and armors excite me : )
Apart from a few, monsters in MH3 are pretty fun to fight. I get bored fighting those in the old series but its different in Tri. Somehow its like street fighter, they have more moves and tend to read your mind.

Plus arena mode is dam awesome, giving you fixed armor set to slay the monsters. Definitely the hardest mode in MH3.

Luigiv

Anyway else other then Soneet have an opinion on Tenbatsu's Banner edit? Also what would you guys like the topic title changed too? Let me know so I can let John TV know.

As for those confused with the reviews so far, why? MHFU has a Metacritic average of 81% and I think Tri has enough subtle improvements to warrant and extra 5-10% (Camera controls being the big one). It's still early days anyway, the negative reviews should all start rolling in after launch (some people will just never be happy with MH).

Luigiv said:
Anyway else other then Soneet have an opinion on Tenbatsu's Banner edit? Also what would you guys like the topic title changed too? Let me know so I can let John TV know.

As for those confused with the reviews so far, why? MHFU has a Metacritic average of 81% and I think Tri has enough subtle improvements to warrant and extra 5-10% (Camera controls being the big one). It's still early days anyway, the negative reviews should all start rolling in after launch (some people will just never be happy with MH).

It might actually come in lower because more people will no doubt review this game than FU on psp.

Cmooonnn Friday, screw you Americans with your tuesday release! :lol Need to dust of the ole Wii as this game is what saved it from being sold!

Luigiv

Johnlenham said:
Cmooonnn Friday, screw you Americans with your tuesday release! :lol Need to dust of the ole Wii as this game is what saved it from being sold!
Screw you Europeans with your this week release :mad:!

benson827

Banned
Hey does anyone know what the current numbers are for the amount of copies preordered?
And is amazon out of copies for the classic controller pro bundle cuz they're rrefusing to sell me a copy unless its from their outside retailers

john tv

In honor of Tri's release, I picked up a one zenny coin strap for my cell phone. :) A little hard to see because iPhone's camera sucks, but the detail on this thing is amazing. Looks/feels like a real coin. :D

4q0u1h.jpg

upandaway

Luigiv said:
(some people will just never be happy with MH).
Don't care about them. You shouldn't care about the pro-MH reviewers either, but far more so with haters. I don't get why such people review the game anyway when they're against it from the start.

Luigiv said:
I think the updated banner looks great too. As for the title my only request is that you drop the official an make it "Monster Hunter Tri - BIG ASS WEAPONS™" The title is a joke but the format is what i like in that. Just my two cents.

In related news i spent last night trying out a bunch of different weapons in FU to try and decide what to go with. Still not anywhere closer, But ive got Yian Kut Ku on LOCK

one last q,

is it possible to solo all the quests in this game or do some quests/monsters kinda require multiplayer cooperation in order to complete?

It's fine either way, i just want to know what i'm in for. I'll gladly grind the soloable missions on off hours and play multiplayer missions when i need to take something big down. :)

Soooo excited for this game. I think i can even convince a friend or two to get the game as well haha.

one last q,

is it possible to solo all the quests in this game or do some quests/monsters kinda require multiplayer cooperation in order to complete?

It's fine either way, i just want to know what i'm in for. I'll gladly grind the soloable missions on off hours and play multiplayer missions when i need to take something big down. :)

Soooo excited for this game. I think i can even convince a friend or two to get the game as well haha.
From what i understand its doable, and i think its somewhat of a measuring stick of a players prowess to be able to solo everything. The only thing you can really grind is materials to make better weapons/armor so you can get a better def/ele resist type.

Also i like that strap thing john. I may see if i can order some trinket like that to mark this release of amazon.

Luigiv

one last q,

Yes it's technically possible to solo all missions but you will still need an online connection to access the online specific missions.

To elaborate further, Moga Village and Loc Lac City each have their own separate lists of quests, so you'll need to play through both modes to complete them all. To access Loc Lac City, you'll need an internet connection. However, once you're in then you're free to ignore the other players and solo quests.

gotee12

Urban Scholar said:
Are many of you getting Wii Speak with it as well? I'm thinking about its usage vs. that of a keyboard but Wii Speak sounds more logical.
I just bought the Endless Ocean: Blue World/Wii Speak bundle for Tri. I figured it was better to spend the extra $10 and get a game instead of spending $20 just to get the Wii Speak by itself...

D-Pad

john tv said:
In honor of Tri's release, I picked up a one zenny coin strap for my cell phone. :) A little hard to see because iPhone's camera sucks, but the detail on this thing is amazing. Looks/feels like a real coin. :D

http://i40.tinypic.com/4q0u1h.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Is that a camera right there? And you took the picture with your phone? :lol Love the coin and strap though (specially the strap).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Wii Speak is excellent btw, we used it for Animal Crossing and it picked up our voices from way back in the room. Totally worth it

gotee12

Raging Spaniard said:
Wii Speak is excellent btw, we used it for Animal Crossing and it picked up our voices from way back in the room. Totally worth it
Seeing as how I just bought my Wii Speak and have not had a chance to use it, how do you not get a lot of feedback by having to put the mic right on top of your TV?

john tv

D-Pad said:
Is that a camera right there? And you took the picture with your phone? :lol Love the coin and strap though (specially the strap).
That's the phone. I took a picture with my iPhone (I have two phones...long story). :)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
gotee12 said:
Seeing as how I just bought my Wii Speak and have not had a chance to use it, how do you not get a lot of feedback by having to put the mic right on top of your TV?

I have a 5.1 sound system, so I cant relate to that since no sound comes from the TV :\

Mael

Well that's an awesome official thread if I know one!
Sadly I won't join PALGaf on this one, I mean I don't have web access yet with the place my TV and Wii are...
I'd say by June I'll be ok, I'll hook up for some quests, till then it'll be solo time!

Tenbatsu

Advanced Combat Tips

1) Great Sword
2) Long Sword
3) Slash Axe
4) Hammer

You are able to shift your direction of attack by holding down left or right while attacking for the weapons listed above. You can even turn a full circle gradually while standing on the same spot.

Example: You are trying to hit the head of a monster and your initial attack kinda miss and hit somewhere else. Hold down the respective direction and keep on attacking to shift your focus to the head (provided that the monster is still standing on the same spot and the part that you want to attack is within reach). Release the direction to stop turning.

Make good use of this advanced technique! Not applicable for Sword & Shield and Lance.

In the demo I tried long sword and classic controls 1 and 2. I'd rather play with 1 since it's easier to move the camera but it seemed like I had moves in 2 I couldn't do in 1. For instance, the hop slice I could perform in any direction. Are certain moves tied only to certain control schemes? Also, which mode do you reccomend?

Luigiv

robut said:
In the demo I tried long sword and classic controls 1 and 2. I'd rather play with 1 since it's easier to move the camera but it seemed like I had moves in 2 I couldn't do in 1. For instance, the hop slice I could perform in any direction. Are certain moves tied only to certain control schemes? Also, which mode do you reccomend?
You can perform all moves with all control schemes, you just have to learn all the combinations (Eg, to do a side hop slash with a LS in CC1, you'll need to hold the analogue stick in the direction you want to hop after performing another attack).

Axiom

So tempted to find a PAL import store rather than wait for the Aus release. My sudden and intense newfound interest in this game over the past few days is distracting.

I still find the concept of using a microphone with no 'mute' button intrusive. But granted I'm one of those people who find themselves clicking their push to talk key when on the phone, so maybe Wii speak is just what I need.

I take some comfort in the fact that at least for a little while longer I'm not suffering the wait alone.

Luigiv said:
You can perform all moves with all control schemes, you just have to learn all the combinations (Eg, to do a side hop slash with a LS in CC1, you'll need to hold the analogue stick in the direction you want to hop after performing another attack).

After performing another attack? It seems in CC2 I just hit right on the stick, are you saying I have to use it as a combo in CC1?

Axiom said:
I still find the concept of using a microphone with no 'mute' button intrusive. But granted I'm one of those people who find themselves clicking their push to talk key when on the phone, so maybe Wii speak is just what I need.
I did that last night :(

But i just went out to pick up the endless ocean pack with Wiispeak. Im not sure if im gonna keep the game or try to sell it yet. But either way i am now official ready for monster hunter.

Poyunch

kafka rock opera said:
I did that last night :(

But i just went out to pick up the endless ocean pack with Wiispeak. Im not sure if im gonna keep the game or try to sell it yet. But either way i am now official ready for monster hunter.
Do you mind if I have the Club Nintendo code? :p

peakish

Just preordered this, first MH game like many others in the thread. Pumped for this friday, just hope that it won't take too much time away from my project.

jrricky

Banned
RurouniZel said:
I can't wait for Wednesday, this is going to be great!! ^_^ The game sounds complicated though and this is my first MH... perhaps I'll pick up a strategy guide as well (assuming it's available Day 1).

I'm psyched!
There is a strategy guide?

Where are the hi-res artworks? I need a need wallpaper to add to my reel...

PounchEnvy said:
Do you mind if I have the Club Nintendo code? :p
Im not sure if im going to open it yet. Might give it away to someone other wise i would give it to you :). But weird thing is i went to go play the demo again for the first time since i got FU and now i feel awkward with the second analogue haha. Oh well im sure ill get used to it again.

Poyunch

kafka rock opera said:
Im not sure if im going to open it yet. Might give it away to someone other wise i would give it to you :). But weird thing is i went to go play the demo again for the first time since i got FU and now i feel awkward with the second analogue haha. Oh well im sure ill get used to it again.
Cool thanks!

Question: I'm going to be playing MH3 on my roommate's Wii while we live together through the next 18 months or so. After that, I'll take my Wii back from my family and if I'm still playing MH3 by then, I'll want to transfer my save; does MH3 allow copying of saved data to an SD card? Some Wii games seem to and some don't, and just curious I guess.

Top Bottom