• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Great OP!

I have the Amazon bundle on preorder with release day shipping. I hope its here on Tuesday!
This will be my first MH but I love the premise. only trouble now will be choosing Greatsword or Longsword!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
This is the first custom character game I ever played with a female and I find it quite amazing that I was able to make almost the perfect likeness of my fiancee with its extremely limited customizations. The nose isn't quite right but she recognized herself right away.

volmer

Just pre-ordered the CC Pro bundle, hype hype. Also, Wii Speak is currently discounted on TheHut.com (UK) where it costs ~7.7 GBP.

Soka said:
Question: I'm going to be playing MH3 on my roommate's Wii while we live together through the next 18 months or so. After that, I'll take my Wii back from my family and if I'm still playing MH3 by then, I'll want to transfer my save; does MH3 allow copying of saved data to an SD card? Some Wii games seem to and some don't, and just curious I guess.
I don't know if just "copy/paste" will work, but there's one homebrew that can transfer save data for any game, so, yes.

Tenbatsu

Soka said:
Question: I'm going to be playing MH3 on my roommate's Wii while we live together through the next 18 months or so. After that, I'll take my Wii back from my family and if I'm still playing MH3 by then, I'll want to transfer my save; does MH3 allow copying of saved data to an SD card? Some Wii games seem to and some don't, and just curious I guess.
Like Brawl, the save file is not transferable. Thru homebrew maybe yes.

Luigiv

robut said:
After performing another attack? It seems in CC2 I just hit right on the stick, are you saying I have to use it as a combo in CC1?
Yep, it's an unfortunate limitation of the scheme. Trying to do it outside a combo will just make your character do a back hop slash in the opposite direction.

In other news, I really should start updating the FAQ with some of the questions that have popped up over the past couple of pages.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is that pro controller worth it? It's sold out amazon so I'm considering just buying the normal and then the nintendo cc.
It was designed specifically by Capcom with the permission of Nintendo, because Capcom felt the current classic controller needed some improvements. So you could say the controller and game were designed with each other in mind (and from what I hear, CCPro makes CC obsolete, basically).

GaimeGuy said:
It was designed specifically by Capcom with the permission of Nintendo, because Capcom felt the current classic controller needed some improvements. So you could say the controller and game were designed with each other in mind (and from what I hear, CCPro makes CC obsolete, basically).

:( Fuck amazon being out of stock. I knew I should have just preordered it last week.

Ashenor

I really want to get into this game, tried a friends demo disk, but the Wii's graphics just seemed so washed out on my dlp tv.

Anyone else have a issue with this? I am thinking of tossing my wii maybe on my old 35" sony crt.

Tenbatsu

Luigiv said:
In other news, I really should start updating the FAQ with some of the questions that have popped up over the past couple of pages.
Yap don't be lazy! If not people are going to ask the same questions over and over again:lol

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
Yap don't be lazy! If not people are going to ask the same questions over and over again:lol
Yep, that was the whole point of it. Well I shall get to it after I have some coffee then.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gawd Nintendo and co are so backwards with their regional gaming. To double check though, PAL gamers will all be able to play with one another yeah, regardless of their location?

I'd hate to be limited to only Australian gamers.

Luigiv

EatChildren said:
Gawd Nintendo and co are so backwards with their regional gaming. To double check though, PAL gamers will all be able to play with one another yeah, regardless of their location?

I'd hate to be limited to only Australian gamers.
It's not Nintendo, the servers are run by Capcom. As for your question *Shrug* I'm in the same boat as you are.

PounchEnvy said:
So what's the basic common courtesy things that newbs should be aware about?
Don't take unnecessary risks online and take up retries and don't hide in another area while the fight is happening and take credit fir the mission unless it's stated before.

Schwabe

PounchEnvy said:

- If you are in a group, don't carve tails while the Monster is still around! Tails don't go away, get your drop when it's save!

- Don't join quests online, without asking!

hiro4

PounchEnvy said:

Don't whack around your big ass weapon like a madman when there are multiple team members within reach.

Also prepare for battle, with your equipment and items. nothing says noob more then bringing cold drinks into ice levels.

will any usb keyboard work with the wii? i have a wireless one that i could use.

initially i wasn't even going to get the game since i don't have my wireless router hooked up anymore but i saw on amazon an ethernet adapter and figured what the hell i'll add a third wii game to my library.

Bear

WickedLaharl said:
will any usb keyboard work with the wii? i have a wireless one that i could use.

initially i wasn't even going to get the game since i don't have my wireless router hooked up anymore but i saw on amazon an ethernet adapter and figured what the hell i'll add a third wii game to my library.

Most work fine. You could test it out with the internet channel to make sure.

People without Wii speak will be able to hear me right?

I would hate to have to get a keyboard now too.

Also, are Arena matches only for splitscreen? It didnt say in the OP and i would hate to miss out on arena only rewards if i can find a local partner for it.

Schwabe

Gamer @ Heart said:
People without Wii speak will be able to hear me right?

I would hate to have to get a keyboard now too.

Also, are Arena matches only for splitscreen? It didnt say in the OP and i would hate to miss out on arena only rewards if i can find a local partner for it.

there is some sort of mute-function, maybe that works in both ways (you mute people without wii-speak, so they can't hear you).

There are Arena-Quests (Event quests) online, but they are different from the offline Arena-Quests. You can do the Arena offline also on your own... The difficulty raises then, but it is not impossible ;)

So I've never played a MH game before but I like the look of it (Punchout esc fighting in terms of watching how each monster moves and understanding how the animations and physics of each weapon works sounds right up my alley! :D) How long does each quest take to complete? Is it the kind of game you can pick up and play for like an hour at a time, or do you have to play for hours on end for like a single chance of completing a quest?

Also, is the single player fun on your own and does the two player splitscreen mode offer much in terms of replayability (I know it's arena mode only, but is it really fun and worth coming back to?)

BTW, I do have WiFi internet and Wii Speak so I'm all set for online play. I'd still like to know if it's worth playing on your own since I might not always be in the mood to play online!

Chromax

My game should be here tomorrow!

Got a question though, for end-game contents like Alatreon and getting items you can make off his carves. Is that something so difficult that only 0.2% of the players will see?

Can I compare it to... (if you play WoW) Killing Lich King on 25 heroic mode and getting the Invincible mount?

Luigiv

Nuclear Muffin said:
So I've never played a MH game before but I like the look of it (Punchout esc fighting in terms of watching how each monster moves and understanding how the animations and physics of each weapon works sounds right up my alley! :D) How long does each quest take to complete? Is it the kind of game you can pick up and play for like an hour at a time, or do you have to play for hours on end for like a single chance of completing a quest?

Also, is the single player fun on your own and does the two player splitscreen mode offer much in terms of replayability (I know it's arena mode only, but is it really fun and worth coming back to?)

BTW, I do have WiFi internet and Wii Speak so I'm all set for online play. I'd still like to know if it's worth playing on your own since I might not always be in the mood to play online!
1. Yes each quest is self contained and most shouldn't take more then 30 minutes to complete. Maximum possible length a quest can drag on for is 50 minutes, at which point the game will fail you for running out of time.

2. Yes single player mode is still a lot of fun. In fact of the 150 hours I've put into the franchise so far, about 145 hours of that has been in single player.

Luigiv said:
1. Yes each quest is self contained and most shouldn't take more then 30 minutes to complete. Maximum possible length a quest can drag on for is 50 minutes, at which point the game will fail you for running out of time.

2. Yes single player mode is still a lot of fun. In fact of the 150 hours I've put into the franchise so far, about 145 hours of that has been in single player.

Oh man that's music to my ears. Am I right in thinking the gameplay is like a mixture between punchout style combat (In the vein as I mentioned before) but with RPG elements for preparing before battles?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I have 120 hours logged in the JP version of the game, and I'm still super duper excited for the American release. I can't wait to play with you guys!!

ShinNL

The playing habit of the game is comparable to Left4Dead. You start it and do a campaign quest, a short session of awesomeness. You can do more quests until you're tired of playing. The game is based on quests which you accept to do, which vary in time to complete. The maximum time you can get for a quest is 50 minutes.

I believe the split-screen arena is more or less used to introduce new players to the series (just to have fun for a short while). The real meat of the game is in the single player / online multiplayer. Hunting monsters is never boring though, so if you're with someone else it's always fun to play it, even if you've already played before. It's like Street Fighter, if you've played a Ryu vs Ken match before you won't avoid playing that match up just because you've already played a Ryu vs Ken match before.

Monster Hunter is perfect for those who want to play offline and them some online. It might even be better, because you improve your skills offline and when you go online you feel like you have something to show off. Based on my experience, online-only players usually get stuck at improving (thus not fully experiencing Monster Hunter at it's best). Some experiences can't be found online, like taking down a monster on your own and looking at it's dead body despite many moments of death gazing upon you. That kind of achievement can't be experienced online because teammates distract the monster and everyone does damage. It's like comparing climbing up a mountain by yourself or being pulled up from above by others who are already there.

Okay, enough with the metaphors.

PS. Those located in Japan, are you able to play with any of the US or EUR people? If so, how? By disc? Not by IP? Does that mean if I buy an American version alongside with my PAL version I can play with everyone if I just switch my disc?

Will an online thread be made or are we generally going to wing it and post here to play with one another? Not that I mind just merely wondering

So, at what point do the vets warn the newcomers of the late-game grudges? When you wake up one day and decide you had enough of whatever monster's bullshit, and make it your new purpose in life to hunt said monster--alone, in online quests--to the point of making both melee and gunner armor out of it, several weapons, and a 12-pc. gift set of beer mugs?

Luigiv

Urban Scholar said:
Will an online thread be made or are we generally going to wing it and post here to play with one another? Not that I mind just merely wondering
I'm pretty sure someone will one. I'll do it myself if need be.

Attack You said:
So, at what point do the vets warn the newcomers of the late-game grudges? When you wake up one day and decide you had enough of whatever monster's bullshit, and make it your new purpose in life to hunt said monster--alone, in online quests--to the point of making both melee and gunner armor out of it, several weapons, and a 12-pc. gift set of beer mugs?
... I think that's just you.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Really excited, though I don't know when I'm going to have much time to play. I'll probably be a weekend hunter..

dsister44

really really excited about this game. Whats surprising me the most is the amount of attention this game is getting. I always though this was going to be like tales of graces and no more heroes and other hardcore wii games. where I was the only one who knew about it and that no one else in my social group would know of the game.

Instead loads of people know about it, im seeing people join the facebook group, im seeing tons of adverts on TV, and this morning I got A promotional leaflet about the game with the morning post. The marketing has completely blown me away

Schwabe

dsister44 said:
Instead loads of people know about it, im seeing people join the facebook group, im seeing tons of adverts on TV, and this morning I got A promotional leaflet about the game with the morning post. The marketing has completely blown me away

Capcom missed the chance 5 years ago, when they only put a Demo-Version of Monster Hunter in DMC3... Its really great, how Monster Hunter gets in everbodys mind :)

MH is such a great gaming series, it's not too easy, but also not unfair. You will see, when you'Re getting online, it has its own spirit. I really miss that since Capcom closed the PS2 Server. No other online game reached the online experience of Monster Hunter...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well then. OP (er, and God's Beard) have convinced me to purchase this by mentioning it in the same breath as Demon's Souls. I'll be checking out my local game shop after work and likely preordering it cause they won't get too many copies.

A reason to dust off the Wii again!

And I'm starting out as a gunner, your warnings be damned.

GAF, I expect many able and willing hunters to assist a complete noob :)

Important: can anybody point me toward cheaply hooking my Wii up to a computer monitor and external speakers? Don't want to play this on my crappy 17inch TV.

Luigiv

Schwabe said:
Capcom missed the chance 5 years ago, when they only put a Demo-Version of Monster Hunter in DMC3... Its really great, how Monster Hunter gets in everbodys mind :)

MH is such a great gaming series, it's not too easy, but also not unfair. You will see, when you'Re getting online, it has its own spirit. I really miss that since Capcom closed the PS2 Server. No other online game reached the online experience of Monster Hunter...
Actually fun fact, they didn't. Capcom wanted to keep the servers going longer but the Company that hosted them decided they weren't going to host PS2 games any more.

This is gonna be my first Monster Hunter game, can't wait to get it. Just got my email from Amazon. CC Pro shipped today and will be here tomorrow.

Hype :D

Top Bottom