• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Hiltz said:
Killed my 2nd Barroth and captured one as well as a Royal Ludroth.

Gonna work on getting the Barroth Armor set (currently have the chest armor) and switch axe.

Oh, and I hate Gobul. That thing kicked my ass twice so far.

Fish him up first and he's a lot easier on land.

And botticus, all mobs are harder online than offline. Offline I can kill most any mob without too much worry, but online, sometimes I misstep and then it's good night.

satori

botticus said:
Uh, wow. The Jaggis are a bit tougher online than offline.

Ya I learned that the hard way lol. I wanted to farm some Peco so I figure go online and farm with people etc, well no one was on so I decided to solo a few. Took me extactly 45 min to kill one. It did not help that a Rath decided to join the party as well...

mash440

Neo Member
Boney said:
Holy shit at that parry he does. How does he do it, and can other classes do it? He's insane!

I've been trying to the do the same solo against Barroth. Point's I've noticed

He counters, every charge which looks like a standard up thrust. This is done by holding right shoulder and A which starts a charge, if hit during this, it will block and damage. It's confusing at first cause it looks like a charge attack.

Immediately after each counter he does a backhop towards the rear of the enemy using B. During this he turns around 180 during the movement and follows up with more upthrusts.

During the Mud Spray he shield charges occasionally if he needs to close the distance.

He also moves quick a lot within close quarters to avoid tailspins etc. mostly learnt through trial and error probably. The tail spin seems to only hit medium range targets so keeping close it probably the best way so you can keep upthrusting.

I'm gonna try again, 10 mega potions, mega nutrients, might seed and a nice meal should work wonders.

I wonder why Monster Hunter of all games does not get a proper startegy guide. Mon Hun features many of the fundamentals of every useful strat guide with complex weapon trees, tons of items, mat finding places, boss strategies, armour/skill overviews and bazillion item combinations. And I'm sure there are tons of artworks that would gladly smarten up that thing.
I realize that Mon Hun is not exactly super popular, but I feel much lesser games still received a guide and since Nintendo/Capcom went all out with tri's release I really think a nice guide would have garnished their effort.
I don't get it. :I

blackflag

What's everyone's opinion on negative affinity. For example which of these is better

Assault Axe + = 810 180par damage -20%affin

or

Rough Edge = 702 150drg 0%affin

Not sure which would end up being better.

Teknoman

Theres a space open in one of the gaf server cities.

Also i'm getting spoiled by the attack bonus skill... know i'm going to have to give it up at some point.

markatisu

slaughterking said:
I wonder why Monster Hunter of all games does not get a proper startegy guide. Mon Hun features many of the fundamentals of every useful strat guide with complex weapon trees, tons of items, mat finding places, boss strategies, armour/skill overviews and bazillion item combinations. And I'm sure there are tons of artworks that would gladly smarten up that thing.
I realize that Mon Hun is not exactly super popular, but I feel much lesser games still received a guide and since Nintendo/Capcom went all out with tri's release I really think a nice guide would have garnished their effort.
I don't get it. :I

The PS2 one had a real good one a few years back, i was surprised there was not one for this version since things like the LEGO games get guides

Ridley327

Teknoman said:

Also i'm getting spoiled by the attack bonus skill... know i'm going to have to give it up at some point.

Sorry that I forgot to mention that Barroth can destroy structures. It really sucks that you can't get credit for your Urgent if you aren't the one to initiate it; kind of a big oversight, really.

botticus

Had a few great Jaggi hunts and a couple not so good. Finished 4 out of 6 of them, everyone had a death a piece in the other two. Not sure if Devira is on GAF, but I know Amelie is, so thanks for the hunts!

Saw schuelma pop in the city during our last failed hunt, sorry!

Annoyingly I only got 2 Jaggi Heads out of all that... and you need three for the helm. So I guess I'll be trying it at least one more time this weekend. Used up all my damn mega potions too. :( On the bright side, I'm HR6 practically just from that quest.

mclem

Teknoman said:

One of my vivid lasting memories of PSO was spending ages shopping, comparing all the potential purchases and upgrades for myself and all the other characters playing locally, so we could mix and match as required to get the items we want. It got to the point where we could spend half an hour or so just comparing items trying to get the most perfect setup - and, I should add, enjoying every minute of ti.

I bring this up because I've just had the equivalent experience in MH3; I spent a while staring at all the components of the Jaggi set trying to figure out if I could put it together, and on top of that I then realised I could possibly reach the next level up of the Attack skill, and so spent quite some time just trying to figure out how all the decoration options would stack up against one another.

It was wonderful.

Incidentally, I'm still curious about the torch extinguishing thing (Can't sheath weapon without extinguishing my current torch, unless there's some control I've not found yet). Oh, and while I'm at it, I'm using a Ludroth's Nail but I'm curious why I might want to upgrade to a Commander's Dagger (on a different branch of the tree, I'm experimenting with multiple weapons) - it doesn't seem to offer any significant benefits over the Ludroth's Nail, yet it's of rarity 2 while the Nail is only 1.

mclem

Dreavus said:
I'm pretty sure you get them off Giggi, those little worm guys.

I think I've also seen them from something else - maybe the jellyfish? I find those less irritating to kill than Giggi, anyway!

Teknoman

Ridley327 said:
Sorry that I forgot to mention that Barroth can destroy structures. It really sucks that you can't get credit for your Urgent if you aren't the one to initiate it; kind of a big oversight, really.

Its cool, got offline for awhile, and just beat up a Barroth and Great Jaggi in that one dual hunt quest... so i've got a little more practice. We went up against the monster 2-3 more times online with a random, and got close each time:lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
This has probably been posted, but I thought you know, just in case. I just came across this little gem.

KeikakumeansplanMH3.JPG

Alex

My good friend who I basically play every game with is out of town for the week. I wish to take some more shots at my plate, but I'm deathly terrified of random players in this game. :lol

If anyone needs Rathian help, let me know, I'd love to get some more shots in at a plate without blazing through the offline. Or anything really, I'm just holding back in that tier until I get a plate, have everything else cleared.... just workin on the plate.... for about 4 days now...

Teknoman

Alex said:
My good friend who I basically play every game with is out of town for the week. I wish to take some more shots at my plate, but I'm deathly terrified of random players in this game. :lol

If anyone needs Rathian help, let me know, I'd love to get some more shots in at a plate without blazing through the offline.

Dont be, some are actually ok. One way to tell is if they ask whats going on, and dont just run straight for the quest desk.

jgkspsx

Hi. Sorry to interrupt. Speaking as somebody without much time to spend on this, is it something good for casual play on WFC with friends if you don't put lots of hours into it alone?

vazel said:
Oh wow really, fan service to internet forums?

Well a GAFfer is a member of the Localization team for the game so its not that surprising :lol

Alex said:

If anyone needs Rathian help, let me know, I'd love to get some more shots in at a plate without blazing through the offline. Or anything really, I'm just holding back in that tier until I get a plate, have everything else cleared.... just workin on the plate.... for about 4 days now...

Wait, you still haven't got that plate yet??

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
How so? Through charms/talismans?

So far I've made sets because they seem to be the only way to get worthwhile skills. I have found talismans but 99% of them are for semi-useless skills like Fishing. Is there a secret to armor skills I'm missing?

Also, that calculator looks like something I would really love, if only I could read it :(.
Yap, through charms/talismans. I will post up the charm list soon, so you can use it for reference.

slaughterking said:
I love Numbingbird -- every weapon should look like a flower.

bise4lemc2naivkpc.jpg
What skills did you activate? Interesting combi..

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Another Question: Is the FastCharge skill worth pursuing? I use Long Swords almost exclusively and if I could fill up my spirit bar with only a few swipes I think it would really help. The problem I have is that faster monsters don't stay still long enough for me to get enough hits to fill it.
'FastCharge' is a Group A skill, which means high level skill. Compatible with Great Sword/Long Sword/Slash Axe/Hammer.

Pancho said:
Fuck! Do I need to break Lagiacrus Horns in order to have a dim chance to get them in the rewards?! Ive killed him and captured him quite a few times and the bastard won't drop that single Horn in order to make my lagiacrus helm >;(
Yes, you must break its horn in order to get them.

blackflag said:
What's everyone's opinion on negative affinity. For example which of these is better

Assault Axe + = 810 180par damage -20%affin

or

Rough Edge = 702 150drg 0%affin

Not sure which would end up being better.
Both are about the same but it also depends on which monster you are fighting and their weaknesses. Most weapons will end up with 2 version, one with higher attack power with neg/zero affinity or one with higher affinity/lower attack. It all depends on your playing style and your armor combination on which you would like to choose. If you are a 'safe' player, you will usually go for one with higher attack power, as for risk taker, you will choose the one with higher affinity as affinity attack are random.

Look at it this way:
High Attack Power - Constant Damage, no risk involve
High Affinity - Random damage but with affinity attack you can dealt more damage than the high attack version

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Should i try to keep green sharpness up as much as i can against the big monsters? I don't know how big of a difference it makes... before i waste 5-6 whetstones per fight. :lol Barroth sure is scary the first time when it charges you at full speed. Now i gotta kill him a few more times for a better Great Sword. D:

Bisnic said:
Should i try to keep green sharpness up as much as i can against the big monsters? I don't know how big of a difference it makes... before i waste 5-6 whetstones per fight. :lol Barroth sure is scary the first time when it charges you at full speed. Now i gotta kill him a few more times for a better Great Sword. D:

You really should with the tougher guys. With great swords, you are going to impact the monster all over the place meaning you need that sharpness in order to avoid bouncing off. With smaller more pinpoint weapons like SnS, you can hit exactly where you know it will do the most damage and/or not bounce so you have more leeway.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, ever so slightly burned out on MH3 at the moment, so I'm going to take a couple days leave and play some Super Street Fighter IV. Then it's off to the High Rank quests I go!

Luigiv

Ok it's confirmed, Aus Hunters will be able to play with Euro Hunters! Just saw Euro Gaffer volmer online (Also if you're reading this volmer, apologies for disconnecting, I didn't do it on purpose).

d0c_zaius

Ridley327 said:

Its not an oversight. Its quite intentional and been this way for every monster hunters title since the first. It makes sense to me why they wouldnt want everyone to get credit for an urgent.

dsister44

ok that was a frickin epic gaming. started off Hr 14, met up with some gaffers online.

we sucked, we'd all managed to pass barroth but now rathian was kicking our butts. But as the hours past, we became more experienced, more patient, more skilled, we started gelling as a team.

suddenly we were awesome. In a single night we went through and complete all the 2* quests. Rathians, Gobals, great baggis, barroths, all fell before the mighty blades of PAL Gaf + friends.

eventually, it wasn't letting me rank up anymore and we were forced into undertaking the urgent quest and faced our greatest foe yet, the Lagiacrus.

our brave team ( down to 3) undertook this great task and ventured into the deep. Things didn't start off too well, we weren't getting too many hits but we were surviving and least. we watchted its attack patterns and started getting better and better. it wasn't until we drove it onto the land that the real pwnage started. We were all over, rolling, dodging, blocking, slicing doing a ton of damage without it being able to hit us. Firt we paralysed it, then we wounded his chest, then we cut his tail off, then we put him to sleep at which point I set off a ring of large bombs around its head. Eventually he tried limping off back to his cave but we persued him, keeping up our relentless assault. When it got there, Lav distracted it, whilst Selenae set up a trap, once it was caught I threw 2 tranq bombs and the best was ours.

It was an intense fight. 3* quests, our gaming pride, Selenae's tasty lootz, so much was at stake but we managed to pull it off.

Faust, Selenae, Lav, Rol, half of you probably won't read this but your frickin amazing and i can't wait to do some more runs together :D

volmer

Luigiv said:
Ok it's confirmed, Aus Hunters will be able to play with Euro Hunters! Just saw Euro Gaffer volmer online (Also if you're reading this volmer, apologies for disconnecting, I didn't do it on purpose).
Yay, and no problem. :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
botticus said:
Saw schuelma pop in the city during our last failed hunt, sorry!

No problem..I'm so bad you probably want to avoid me for the time being...

*can't wait for the weekend so I can devote many hours offline so I don't embarrass myself again*

Hiltz

Thanks for the tip. I'll try fishing out Gobul next time.

- Captured a Barroth in a sand trap and killed another one.
- Upgraded to a Barroth Switch Axe (looks awesome).
- I hate those little Jaggis ! Their so annoying. I was fighting Barroth and was trying to use a wetstone but those little bastards kept hitting me before I could finish.

Teknoman

jgkspsx said:
Hi. Sorry to interrupt. Speaking as somebody without much time to spend on this, is it something good for casual play on WFC with friends if you don't put lots of hours into it alone?

Possibly...quests dont take that long to finish.

botticus

schuelma said:

*can't wait for the weekend so I can devote many hours offline so I don't embarrass myself again*
:lol You don't know who you're talking to.

Thanks a lot for helping with that Jaggi quest, Alex. Got a ridiculous amount of loot. 2 heads, 2 beaks from Qurupeco, yet another Rook Charm.

I got so sick of trying to find a party to beat Barroth with and get HR9 that I killed him solo. I made 10 Mega Potions and bought 10 normal ones and I beat him with a little under 5 minutes left. x_x

Boney

Banned
Ok just played the first time online. This game is even more awesome!

PounchEnvy said:
I was playing with you right? Didn't get to friend you :p.
Figuring this online business is going to take me a while, but playing with gaffers is sooo cool.
K' signing off to bed, I have class early tommorrow.

Poyunch

schuelma said:

It's fine. I almost made a teammate lose the quest when I died two times straight after you left. It's cool. I do suggest trying to get better armor if you can. It makes everything easier.

L00P

Holy shit I actually like the water battles :lol

I haven't jumped online yet, but single-player alone is great! I'm taking my sweet time getting all the armors available to me so far. Not making any other weapons, though. I'm kicking ass with the lance!

Hiltz

Yeah, I'm also really enjoying the single player mode which is kind of surprising given how the franchise is really all about the multiplayer.

Tenbatsu

L00P said:
Holy shit I actually like the water battles :lol

I haven't jumped online yet, but single-player alone is great! I'm taking my sweet time getting all the armors available to me so far. Not making any other weapons, though. I'm kicking ass with the lance!
Me too:D

For underwater battles, dodging up and down is the key.

Top Bottom