• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the bow you want to use. I use the Seregios one which lacks a third charge and needs the Loading skill to be competent. Fast Charge and Marathon Runner for more attacks. Evade Extender is really nice; totally noticed it against Akantor, being able to roll away in 1 go. In a perfect world, I'd give up Evasion, but I need to get better, and I'm not sure if it's possible to get a set with normal up at my current talisman state when I don't have Barrage Earrings.

Thanks. I actually meant just explain the points per piece (I noticed you had Lagi helm) but I was kinda vague. I like every skill in your set besides maybe marathon runner, because I don't mind hauling dash juices around if it means I can put in a more damage oriented skill.

Edit: You ninja'ed my message with your edit :p.

Is there any bonuses/advantages for having all your armor be the same type?

Full sets generally have multiple skills that will activate together and usually one negative skill.

At end game a lot of people mix pieces from different sets in ways where the skill points from each piece add toward the same skills, and that's generally how you'll get the most top tier skills activating all at once.

Skills don't activate until you have +10 or -10 points into them. Look in your status menu to see what I'm talking about.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Thanks. I actually meant just explain the points per piece (I noticed you had Lagi helm) but I was kinda vague. I like every skill in your set besides maybe marathon runner, because I don't mind hauling dash juices around if it means I can put in a more damage oriented skill.

Edit: You ninja'ed my message with your edit :p.
Oh, it's just the full standard Kuhsala gunner set minus the hat which was indeed the Lagi hat. My talisman really isn't that special with Loading +5 and three slots; if you can get Loading and another used skill it'll probably be better. I use the Lagi hat because it gives loading when Kuhsala does not.

In the end (with gems),
Hat - 3 Evade Dist, 2 Fast Charge, 2 Loading
Top - 4 Evasion, 3 Evade Dist, 1 Fast Charge, 1 Loading
Glove - 2 Evasion, 2 Stamina, 2 Fast Charge
Bottom - 2 Evasion, 4 Stamina, 2 Fast Charge, 2 Loading
Shoe - 2 Evasion, 4 Stamina, 3 Fast Charge
Talisman - 4 Evade Dist, 5 Loading

Just use Athena's ASS?

Oh, it's just the full standard Kuhsala gunner set minus the hat which was indeed the Lagi hat. My talisman really isn't that special with Loading +5 and three slots; if you can get Loading and another used skill it'll probably be better. I use the Lagi hat because it gives loading when Kuhsala does not.

In the end (with gems),
Hat - 3 Evade Dist, 2 Fast Charge, 2 Loading
Top - 4 Evasion, 3 Evade Dist, 1 Fast Charge, 1 Loading
Glove - 2 Evasion, 2 Stamina, 2 Fast Charge
Bottom - 2 Evasion, 4 Stamina, 2 Fast Charge, 2 Loading
Shoe - 2 Evasion, 4 Stamina, 3 Fast Charge
Talisman - 4 Evade Dist, 5 Loading

Just use Athena's ASS?

Yeah, I'm on my phone. I'm currently visiting my parents and don't have access to a computer. Appreciate the help.

I think I was right yesterday btw, the Kecha Helmet/Cap can both be equipped by Blademasters or Gunner

Which begs the question, aside from aesthetics, why would you choose the cap?

Last Night we killed a Rathalos with a random group. I am HR1 so I don't have the quest, but I only need 3 shells to forge a new weapon. How do I get to kill ratholos for those shells again ?

Ken

Last Night we killed a Rathalos with a random group. I am HR1 so I don't have the quest, but I only need 3 shells to forge a new weapon. How do I get to kill ratholos for those shells again ?

Join a room and hope someone else posts it, or get to that quest yourself.

redcrayon

Caravan Azure Rath quest, both Seregios and Azure Rath decided to fight over who was going to maul me first. I had no idea which of them was beneath the cliff I was standing on, as all i could see was a flurry of wings and spikes. I jumped down into the scrap, pulling Rath to the ground with a critical lance strike to the face, before taking Seregios' spikes on my shield and than staggering him with a counter while Rath limped off, fleeing for his life.

I did all this while holding a giant shark and a no-swimming sign as my 'lance' and 'shield' of choice.

I have better weapons, but man it felt awesome. I love the silliness of monster hunter sometimes. The cut scene where my hunter was trying to hide while having an 8-foot sharq strapped to his back was hilarious.

upandaway

Made a set for high rank just now, a Velociprey S that gets me Attack Up XL, Detect and Halve Stun. with no weapon slots, or replace XL with L + C skill with a weapon slot. No clue what C skill to use though so I'm just rolling with the XL.

I'll try to get this to carry me up to G rank, we'll see though.

Does damage on Elder Dragons still carry over if you repel them instead of killing them? I know that's what happened in MHFU but I have no idea if it still works like that in MH4U.

Volcynika

So I unlocked HR6, so at least in multi I can start working on the Rath Soul set. Kinda want to push forward a bit in single player to be able to do it there too. Though I need to get some materials for weapon upgrades, my elemental weapon set needs to be more powerful!

Pretty much played all day for decorations and when I finally got everything it turns out that there's a mistake in Athena's ASS. It says the Miralis helm has 3 in unshakable when it only has 2. Got 9 in unshakable just sitting there now ;_;

Shengar

Does damage on Elder Dragons still carry over if you repel them instead of killing them? I know that's what happened in MHFU but I have no idea if it still works like that in MH4U.
It's carried over except for the Mohrans (yes, all Jhen must be killed in one round for the carves or else they start fresh anew).

Made a set for high rank just now, a Velociprey S that gets me Attack Up XL, Detect and Halve Stun. with no weapon slots, or replace XL with L + C skill with a weapon slot. No clue what C skill to use though so I'm just rolling with the XL.

I'll try to get this to carry me up to G rank, we'll see though.
There are gaffers who done that before, you'll be fine panda :3
Not quite sure how I ended up farming Rathalos and got 5 rubies and 2 mantles. Though I'm not sure if I want to make X or go Soul Z again.
Rath Soul Z is always the answer.

tuffy

Thanks to a lucky mantle drop, I've managed to forge the Furious Gravecannon+ for all my short-term normal shot needs. Unfortunately, good G rank Normal Up suits are in short supply. But I've worked out that by combining the Seregios Cap, Brachy Chest and Coat, and A. Rathalos Arms and Legs, I can get:
  • Critical Eye +1
  • Normal Up
  • Challenger +2
  • Evade Extender
It also winds up with +20 fire resistance and no big negative resistances. Since I've got all the rarest parts already, I'll just need to farm a few Pounder+es, A.Rath Lashes and whatnot in order to finish it up.

Mzo

It's physically painful to watch a greatsword user fight without sheathing or charging

67b.jpg

Tried to finish up caravan low rank quests and ended up fighting some unexpected elder dragons. Teostra beat my ass; first time I carted in this game. Came back for serious with items, sleep herbs for the supply knives and some bombs and took him out with no deaths.

Huge spike in difficulty up to Rajang, then pathetic again when you start proper caravan high rank. Kind of weird!

It's carried over except for the Mohrans (yes, all Jhen must be killed in one round for the carves or else they start fresh anew).

Great, thanks. I was doing Chameleos with a friend last night and while he ended up limping off we weren't quite able to kill him before the timer ran out.

Volcynika

Can anyone give me a starting point as far as gems for weapon slots? I use dual blades and have a handful of my elemental weapons that have slots, I'm just not sure what the ideal way to go for gems for them are.

Can anyone give me a starting point as far as gems for weapon slots? I use dual blades and have a handful of my elemental weapons that have slots, I'm just not sure what the ideal way to go for gems for them are.

Whatever matches your armor skills, in Monster Hunter you only benefit from skills when you have 10 or more points in them.

Shengar

You could try to gem in skulls that one point short from activation or enhance an active one. Like for example, Rath Soul have critical +2 IIRC. With 3 slots weapon, ypu could gem in a Expert Jewel 3 and improve it to Critical Eye+3.

Mupod

alright, lots of time to play tonight, just need to make it through work. First order of business is 3 kushala hardhorns then I'll go from there. Need to figure out a pierce set.

squall23

What's the difference between the Elemental skill and specific element skills like Fire Atk?

Is it just Elemental covers all 5 normal elements while Fire Atk only increases fire but with greater stat gains?

Shiina

What's the difference between the Elemental skill and specific element skills like Fire Atk?

Is it just Elemental covers all 5 normal elements while Fire Atk only increases fire but with greater stat gains?

The numbers could be outdated but Element Atk Up increases elemental damage by x1.1 and X Atk Up increases the elemental damage by x1.05+40 / x1.1+60 / x.1.15+90.

bobohoro

The numbers could be outdated but Element Atk Up increases elemental damage by x1.1 and X Atk Up increases the elemental damage by x1.05+40 / x1.1+60 / x.1.15+90.

Should still apply in MH4U I think. Also they seem to stack.

Right now I'm working on getting a nice Fire Atk set with my +6 FireAtk/+9 Expert charm, deciding between Rath X and Rath Soul Z Armour.

Wtih Rath X I can get something like:
AtkUp (XL)
FireAtk +3
CritEye +2
Recovery Down

Rath Soul Z would allow for:
Crit God
CritElement
FireAtk +1
HGE
Health -10

and maybe Razor Sharp or upping FireAtk or gemming out negative Health.

I'll start with Rath X since I'm only one Lash away and work on Soul Z later. Both armours look like fun. :D

Leezard

Holy cow. This + rapid firing Flaming Shot just sounds.... oh man, so good. SO GOOD. Could even go Full-Rath and use the Searulean Firebath (Rathling Gun line)
My fire lbg set looks similar, it has

Fire atk+3
Attack up (m)
Fleet feet
Evasion +1

Slightly more defensive, which is useful for a gunner.

It is
Rath x
Sororal
Rath x
Torso up
Sororal

You could probably get something better with some narga x.

w00zey

So the game is really starting to click for me...yay!! The biggest thing I've noticed is that I don't have to race through a battle. Taking my time has me probably beating them faster but definitely losing less health and just having a way easier time. I do have a question though as I work my way through.

I'm looking at some barroth pieces that have a +3 to attack and I'm wondering if the +3 is totally negated until I get +10 attack?

ilium

So the game is really starting to click for me...yay!! The biggest thing I've noticed is that I don't have to race through a battle. Taking my time has me probably beating them faster but definitely losing less health and just having a way easier time. I do have a question though as I work my way through.

I'm looking at some barroth pieces that have a +3 to attack and I'm wondering if the +3 is totally negated until I get +10 attack?

You need to have at least +10 in a skill to activate it.

for Attack Up the skill thresholds look like this for example:

Attack Up (XL +25 Massively increases Attack.
Attack Up (L) +20 Greatly increases Attack.
Attack Up (M) +15 Increases Attack.
Attack Up (S) +10 Slightly increases Attack.
Attack Down (S) -10 Slightly decreases Attack.
Attack Down (M) -15 Decreases Attack.
Attack Down (L) -20 Greatly decreases Attack.

That's correct! Once you get +10 attack, you'll get Attack Up (s). Every +5 after that will increment you up to (M) (L) & (XL).
Now, that one piece of armor has +3 attack, but usually the other armor pieces in a set also have a bit of that same skill. So, when you put the set together, you'll probably be at +10 or higher.

Before I start trying to farm for this bastard's quest, does anyone have a Kirin quest they can send me? I'll help farm it/other monsters/whatever, though I'm only HR at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom