• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Now I feel like I'm racing to the end of the game. ~178 hours, HR72, G1 Permit.

I'm getting worried the end of the game is approaching and I won't have a reason to keep pushing for new weapons and armors.
The end game is all about getting the ultimate weapons, AFAIK with the level 140 Guild Quest stuff, though that might not be as interesting.

Are you guys sure that ALL of the Guild Hall quests are scaled to 2.5 players? It seems like when I'm offline and attempt the Guild Hall solo, the monsters fall just as quickly as in the Caravan.

Then I created an online room that nobody joined, so I said fuck it and I ran a quest anyway. Then it seemed like the monster had more HP.

I think the increased HP is only when you're online...

Are you guys sure that ALL of the Guild Hall quests are scaled to 2.5 players? It seems like when I'm offline and attempt the Guild Hall solo, the monsters fall just as quickly as in the Caravan.

Then I created an online room that nobody joined, so I said fuck it and I ran a quest anyway. Then it seemed like the monster had more HP.

Monsters in Guild Hall quests are scaled to 1 player if you're playing alone, though I'm pretty sure the HP is still higher than in Caravan quests (at least I'm assuming that's the case, it was that way in Tri).

Faiz

Monsters in Guild Hall quests are scaled to 1 player if you're playing alone, though I'm pretty sure the HP is still higher than in Caravan quests (at least I'm assuming that's the case, it was that way in Tri).

I kinda didn't want to say anything to contradict people because I don't know for sure and it's completely anecdotal... But that's been my experience today. I've been doing the HR 6 key quests solo and stuff is dropping just as fast as it does in caravan. It's made me question the common wisdom that nothing scales at all ever.

In MHFU I never even tried to the multiplayer content, and in Tri/3U I only did the multiplayer content with my wife, never solo. I've always believed that the multiplayer content was scaled for more people, period. Today's experience has me questioning that.

In regards to Guild Quests. I have a level 11 Kirin quest, and I'm G1. Can I effectively level it all the way up to 125 straight from where I am now?
It has a Bow/Bowgun preference, which I like, and I don't know if I'll be able to find another one like it.

Unicorn

The end game is all about getting the ultimate weapons, AFAIK with the level 140 Guild Quest stuff, though that might not be as interesting.

I'm really hoping 140 GQs are bullshit hard, like G+ to warrant the additional "grind." The GQ limit is frustrating though, yet requires community, so kind of cool

tuffy

I kinda didn't want to say anything to contradict people because I don't know for sure and it's completely anecdotal... But that's been my experience today. I've been doing the HR 6 key quests solo and stuff is dropping just as fast as it does in caravan. It's made me question the common wisdom that nothing scales at all ever.
I believe the idea is that monsters in the multiplayer Guild area don't scale whether one person takes the quest or multiple people take the quest. But those in the single-player Guild area do effectively have less health, though still more than in the Caravan area.

I'm tempted to confirm this again later by comparing the number of shots it takes to bring down something simple, like low rank Rathian.

Unicorn

In regards to Guild Quests. I have a level 11 Kirin quest, and I'm G1. Can I effectively level it all the way up to 125 straight from where I am now?
It has a Bow/Bowgun preference, which I like, and I don't know if I'll be able to find another one like it.

at 86 it requires g3 permit.

I'm wondering that too since my own is lance/gunlance and that's my main.

Airan

I have experienced the real hell of Monster Hunter. It is a lv140 dual Yian Garuga GQ.

You thought Rajang and Teostra were full of horseshit? Try an instant rushdown which takes off 120 out of 150 hp even with 750~ def. Then try a poison flip which does just enough to make you think you can survive and take an antidote. Then try to take the antidote while they both smell blood and proceed to target you, and you only, until you die in a hail of beaks and screams and wonder why you ever wanted to make any armor set with Garuga X in it.

You'd think that after 10 years they'd adjust the instant rushdown attacks to have some windup but nope. They're retardedly powerful and you can't see them coming ever, especially when melee'ing.

Leezard

Yes you can. You'll need to get G3 along the way, but you can always level it high.

Thanks guys. Looks like I need to get to G3.
Speaking of Kirin, that guy is cool as hell but really squirmy and seems to take forever to die. Any strategies to speed up a Kirin run?

I'm really hoping 140 GQs are bullshit hard, like G+ to warrant the additional "grind." The GQ limit is frustrating though, yet requires community, so kind of cool

They are, especially since the best rewards comes from monsters like Rajang which are exceptionally painful.

Also, the fact that the itemless Chamelios quest has a short time limit is incredibly lame. I thought I could knock it out as a solo but it takes too long.

cavefishes

Neo Member

Monster health does not change based on the amount of players in an online or offline room. There is a static multiplier that gets added to the monster's HP if you're playing online content, even if you're playing that content offline. It was the same in 3U, and with level appropriate gear Gathering Hall monsters will take longer. If you're using G-rank gear on HR monsters or HR gear on LR monsters you won't notice as much of a difference.

Online content is definitely still solo-able if you're competent, but it's balanced for multiple players.

Faiz

I believe the idea is that monsters in the multiplayer Guild area don't scale whether one person takes the quest or multiple people take the quest. But those in the single-player Guild area do effectively have less health, though still more than in the Caravan area.

I'm tempted to confirm this again later by comparing the number of shots it takes to bring down something simple, like low rank Rathian.

Awesome. This has really improved my outlook for g rank seeing as there's no good time for me to play online for the foreseeable future.

Monster health does not change based on the amount of players in an online or offline room. There is a static multiplier that gets added to the monster's HP if you're playing online content, even if you're playing that content offline. It was the same in 3U, and with level appropriate gear Gathering Hall monsters will take longer. If you're using G-rank gear on HR monsters or HR gear on LR monsters you won't notice as much of a difference.

Online content is definitely still solo-able if you're competent, but it's balanced for multiple players.

Weird. I'm using rarity 4 gear, upgraded fully with Advanced Armor Spheres (I don't seem to have easy access to Hard Armor Spheres yet), in HR4 offline and Caravan 8*, and the monsters seem to take about the same amount of time either way.

Valus

My friend sent his DS to Japan two weeks ago to get it modded with this recording device or something. Finds out he won't be getting it back till like mid April so he ups and decides to get the MM 3DS bundle. Then he's gonna have Nintendo send the info to the new DS so he can get his games and such.

What's silly is that he's all butthurt that I'm now G3 while he's still G1. Saying that he's gonna have to solo/PUG his way to G3 because he doesn't want to be carried. As if being G3 suddenly means one can easily carry people in G1-G2. And he's just so adamant about it, it's kind of ridiculous.

Ken

Is Juju melding the best way to "farm" charms? Currently I set 2 requests (can only afford that at the moment), do Steak Your Ground twice without saving, check the results and if I don't see anything I like, restart the game. The whole cycle takes about 2 minutes and nets around 7-10 charms.

No. Just make a charm farm set and farm that G2 quest instead. Done properly you can possibly score up to 10 Enduring Charms a run which can take 5~8 minutes.

If you really want efficiency you could set Juju melding and claim your talismans after 3 charm runs.

I tried the Juju meld reset thing once and it was terrible. You get like 3~5 enduring at best for 4 minutes of not playing the game.

Unless you really loved getting smashed by RNG I would not recommend this end game to anyone that enjoys fun. On top of only getting 2~4 Beshackled pieces a run, at best, you have to hope that it's rare10 and that the randomized stats are actually worthwhile (raw, sharpness, element/status, affinity, defense bonus are all randomized within a range or set numbers). You can upgrade relics a limited number of times though to get their non-cap values to their max range though so I guess that's nice, though what stat is upgraded is random too if multiple.

They're hard but not stupid unfair hard. The frustrating thing is, again, the actual relics themselves. It's a nice way to extend playtime but I would do 140 GQs more as a thing to do than for relics. It's a fun way to see which pug triple carts at least.

Unicorn

They are, especially since the best rewards comes from monsters like Rajang which are exceptionally painful.

Also, the fact that the itemless Chamelios quest has a short time limit is incredibly lame. I thought I could knock it out as a solo but it takes too long.

There are reward tiers tied to monsters as well as GQ level?

Ken

There are reward tiers tied to monsters as well as GQ level?

Monster determines the weapon skin you get. Supposedly harder/Elder Dragon types yield more Beshackled than your random 140 Velo but I haven't done enough 140 Velo to say for sure.

Monster determines the weapon skin you get. Supposedly harder/Elder Dragon types yield more Beshackled than your random 140 Velo but I haven't done enough 140 Velo to say for sure.

I usually got 2-4 Beshackled weapons IIRC from 140 Velo/Rajang Guild Quests. I've gotten some great weapons from them, but man you get some of the ugliest skins.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Someone teach me the secret to ammo inventory upkeep.

Always do the cat's fishing mini-game every three quests, you'll need fish for a lot of the ammo. Buy the ammo available at the stores over making it. It'll save you resources and time. Buying it when it's on sale in huge bulk will help a ton.

I always carry bombs on me and a lot of my sets (running one with Speed Setup and Bomb Boost) I bring materials to make a lot of bombs, so that's even more fishing and upkeep.

Ken

Always do the cat's fishing mini-game every three quests, you'll need fish for a lot of the ammo. Buy the ammo available at the stores over making it. It'll save you resources and time. Buying it when it's on sale in huge bulk will help a ton.

I always carry bombs on me and a lot of my sets (running one with Speed Setup and Bomb Boost) I bring materials to make a lot of bombs, so that's even more fishing and upkeep.

I do this for bow coatings already but I only use power and close coatings rather than 500 different types of bullets that every BG seems to load.

You guys keep a notebook of ammo to fill up on?

Beats

I do this for bow coatings already but I only use power and close coatings rather than 500 different types of bullets that every BG seems to load.

I just make separate item sets for each bowgun I use. When the shop is on sale just buy a bunch of everything.

Prototype

Gonna start another room unless someone is already running one. Just looking for a turns room.

Edit nvrmnd. Will be grinding 140GQs.

tuffy

Item sets to the rescue! HBGs are pretty easy. That's just normal 2/3, pierce 1/2/3, paint, tranq and wyvern fire (because why not). It's just enough to fill the gunner's pouch 8 spots and leaves some room for ammo combines in the main pouch.

For LBGs I'd want to put together a specific set for each element with the right combines, and probably another item set for status gunning.

I'm not super sure. I assume you only gain mount strike if you see the yellow flash. Anything else is a normal attack or deflected?
It makes a tiny tiny white spark.

Oh well, either way this just cements that I reallllly need to get the professor quests done.

Ken

It makes a tiny tiny white spark.

Oh well, either way this just cements that I reallllly need to get the professor quests done.

That's just the bounce spark since aerial attacks don't have a bounce animation, I think.

Even if it counted as mount strike it'd probably be a negligible amount. I guess someone would have to test by trying to mount an apex by only hitting the armored spots lol.

kinggroin

Banned
Hey bros, any recommendation for best armor to go along with hammer usage? I know I want fast charge to start. I'm about to hit G rank, so I'm fine farming anything from there.

Any tips for Pink Rathian solo? It seems like any time she even touches me it's a hit. The most frustrating is when she just nicks me with her toe and I fall over. There seems to be no tell for that running toe nick attack.

Top Bottom