• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Shengar

Yesssssssss beat the Master's Challenge.
I used 6 Mega Pots, 6 Smoke Bombs, 2 Dung Bombs, 1 Max Potion, 3 Traps, 4 Steaks, 3 Nulberries and 7 Farcasters with 8 min to go.

I was really bleh in the beginning since Diablos saw me pretty early on before I could down Seregios. While dancing around to put the fence up, it eventually went Apex and I wasn't able to use my traps to get some damage in so I thought I was screwed. I eventually downed Seregios and allowed Jhobro to kill Diablos for some 25 odd minutes. My cats served as the perfect decoy as they got pinned by Jho, allowing me to trip him and kill his Apex. I went on to Paralyze-Trap-Trap-Trap-Fail Trap Combination-Paralyze to kill him.

Happy Days. :3
From the paralyze part, I assume you used your trusty Naja LS and Regios X set then?

KhyneAF.jpg

Are there more housekeepers, because I'll be counting on other people to see what they say.
I want Guild Sweetheart as my housekeeper.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
From the paralyze part, I assume you used your trusty Naja LS and Regios X set then?

I want Guild Sweetheart as my housekeeper.
Sadly, I've sidelined my Regios set for only fights against Gog and Mohran because I have it with Artillery God. I frequent a Honed Blade/Status +2/HG Earplugs set with my Naja LS now since it's more useful to my teammates. I miss the beauty of Regios though.

I got a soft spot for Guild Sweetheart too since 3U was my first time.

shuusin

Neo Member
I'm playing solo and I've done almost all the 6* quests that I have, but I still can't unlock Advanced: Order of Magnitude which is a key quest, what gives?

Tom_Cody

I'm playing solo and I've done almost all the 6* quests that I have, but I still can't unlock Advanced: Order of Magnitude which is a key quest, what gives?
AFAIK all of the "Advanced" missions appear randomly. You need to have fulfilled the prerequisites in order to have the chance for them to appear, but they aren't there all the time.

This was an issue for me when I was trying to farm Shagaru Magala parts for his bow. The mission would only appear some of the time, so I would have to alternate with other missions.

You can game this by starting/completing gathering missions or even entering the intro mission and immediately delivering meat that you have brought with you.

I hope this solves your problem.

Tom_Cody

I just ran into my first bow that requires the Awaken skill before its element can be used. Lovely. So now this useless until I can get to caravan 9 and craft decorations with FreeElement I guess?

Related question: When I was trying to figure that out, I noticed the attack/element numbers on some of my various bows are different colors. Red, Blue, or White. What does this indicate? I couldn't find anything on kiranico about this and when I tried to google the question I just got result related to sharpness, which obviously isn't relevant to bows.

ConmanIX

Just completed the final Scroll Quest, 'Monster Hunter!' with two friends. It was so stressful, but damn, it felt good to succeed.

Tom_Cody

One more question:

I'm just starting to get the hang of selecting the right bow for each given monster (I had asked some questions on here about damage/element calculation a few days ago), but I'm stumped when it comes to using Blast and Poison. I (sort of) get how the damage is calculated, but I don't know when I should use my Blast bow versus other types of bows with other strengths.

redcrayon

Is there a list somewhere of what each monster is vulnerable to? It would have been great if your hunter notes updated once you had found and exploited a weakness for the first time.

Tom_Cody

Is there a list somewhere of what each monster is vulnerable to? It would have been great if your hunter notes updated once you had found and exploited a weakness for the first time.
This is your best bet:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/monster

The higher the number, the greater the weakness to the element / damage type.

If you click around on a few monsters, you will see that there is rarely one clear specific elemental weakness. The game tends to give you a few good options for whatever weapons you have available to you at any given time.

Also, keep in mind that elemental matters much more on high attack rate weapons versus (high damage) low attack rate weapons. For the latter, raw is more important.

I just have to say, poking bloated Zamtrios with a lance is hilarious and a hoot.

Anyway, been playing pretty slowly but making progress. Beat Gore in both Village and Gathering Hall quests. Game is great.

I have a question about Najarala though. How do you escape the coil attack? I think there's a little gap at the end of its tail, but it's only open for like a second. I'm really slow about getting through it with gunlance. Is there any way to block it?

Leezard

I finally got my Black Gravios Pallium, which allowed me to finish my Gravios Gigacannon set. It's almost full Grand Amagi, but I manage to get something extra out of it thanks to the kaiser guards.

Grand Amagi Jingasa
Grand Amagi Muneate
Kaiser Guards X
Grand Amagi Koshiate
Grand Amagi Hakama
-----------------
+6 Evade Dist OOO
-----------------

Ruthlessness
Evade extender
Pierce up
Trajectory
Recoil down +1

I just have to say, poking bloated Zamtrios with a lance is hilarious and a hoot.

Anyway, been playing pretty slowly but making progress. Beat Gore in both Village and Gathering Hall quests. Game is great.

I have a question about Najarala though. How do you escape the coil attack? I think there's a little gap at the end of its tail, but it's only open for like a second. I'm really slow about getting through it with gunlance. Is there any way to block it?

Move your weapon away, do a superman dive through the tail.

Are you talking about when he wraps around you, trapping you?
I always follow his head. He leaves a little gap to the side of his head. Make sure you sheathe your weapon so you can run. He'll roll up around you, and shift 3 (maybe 2, maybe 4, but I think 3) times before he actually attacks you.
I can't stand fighting Najarala. It's such an awkward fight.

Yrael

Finally got around to doing the HR3 urgent - I solo'd it and managed to slay Dah'ren Mohran instead of repelling it. I guess it's only a low rank monster, rather than high rank.

redcrayon

This is your best bet:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/monster

The higher the number, the greater the weakness to the element / damage type.

If you click around on a few monsters, you will see that there is rarely one clear specific elemental weakness. The game tends to give you a few good options for whatever weapons you have available to you at any given time.

Also, keep in mind that elemental matters much more on high attack rate weapons versus (high damage) low attack rate weapons. For the latter, raw is more important.

Thanks man. What does a lance count as? When I was playing Tri, I used to go for a status effect (poison/stun) over elemental damage, and not worry too much if I had slightly less raw damage than another lance that had neither.

redcrayon

This one is also a good, easy, quick-sheet for you.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q2mmE1kNresl_oVEw0MbTFNt2WENJHtzRXGpPPR1COY/edit#gid=0
It's quicker to find basic resistances, and all monsters link to Kiranico if you need to look any further.
Much appreciated, thanks!

In other news I got that sword from doing all the scaredy-cat quests, is it worth learning S&S to benefit from it, and can it be upgraded?

I'm at G1 rank/caravan 10 with a healthy selection of rarity 7/8 lances, but was just thinking about branching out into some other weapons.

Much appreciated, thanks!

In other news I got that sword from doing all the scaredy-cat quests, is it worth learning S&S to benefit from it, and can it be upgraded?

I'm at G1 rank/caravan 10 with a healthy selection of rarity 7/8 lances, but was just thinking about branching out into some other weapons.

Eh, it's an OK Sword, but the only way to make it useful is to awaken it to utilize Blast. It maxes out at 7* Rarity, so if you don't already have an armor set with Awaken, I would only use it as a Fashion Hunter weapon. I'm a SnS user, and I passed on it.

redcrayon

Eh, it's an OK Sword, but the only way to make it useful is to awaken it to utilize Blast. It maxes out at 7* Rarity, so if you don't already have an armor set with Awaken, I would only use it as a Fashion Hunter weapon. I'm a SnS user, and I passed on it.
Ah, I might just leave it then. In every rpg going I seem to end up with a rack full of legendary weapons that some tribe has been worshipping for generations, but isn't quite as good as the other kit I bought from two towns down the road.

What I'm looking for next is an armour set that includes guard-up at G-rank. Does Gravios still have that? My high-rank Black Gravios gear is a bit weak now. After two-hundred talismans, I was kinda hoping I'd find one with a meaty guard-up bonus by now.

Tom_Cody

Thanks man. What does a lance count as? When I was playing Tri, I used to go for a status effect (poison/stun) over elemental damage, and not worry too much if I had slightly less raw damage than another lance that had neither.
I don't use the lance but, as I understand it, Raw should be much more important than Element for you. It has to do with motion values:
http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/92814625497/mh4-understanding-motion-values

Basically, Raw damage is relatively more important for slow weapons (and thus Element is less important) since the the animation speed actually factors into the damage calculation. "Fast" attacking weapons (low motion value) get relatively more out of elemental damage.

jorgejjvr

The Monster Hunter version of "Why, why, why!?"

-Why did they make Dah'ren Mohran swim sideways?
-Why does deviljho dig without any limbs for propulsion?
-Why does Monoblos sometimes drop hearts as shinies?
-Why can you get more than one Gypceros head from a single Gypceros?
-Why are Jaggis the only bird wyverns with genders?
-Why is Dalamadur not a snake wyvern, and Akantor/Ukanlos not brute wyverns?
-Why do Tigrex roars hurt, but not the roars from Dalamadur?
-Why is Nerscylla so shy?
-Why is Rajang so powerful?
-Why does wearing Seregios's sharp scales as armor not make you bleed?

That's all I have for now but if you can add on to it, I'd love to see what you guys come up with!

-Alternis

The Monster Hunter version of "Why, why, why!?"

-Why did they make Dah'ren Mohran swim sideways?
-Why does deviljho dig without any limps for propulsion?
-Why does Monoblos sometimes drop hearts as shinies?
-Why can you get more than one Gypceros head from a single Gypceros?
-Why are Jaggis the only bird wyverns with genders?
-Why is Dalamadur not a snake wyvern, and Akantor/Ukanlos not brute wyverns?
-Why do Tigrex roars hurt, but not the roars from Dalamadur?
-Why is Nerscylla so shy?
-Why is Rajang so powerful?
-Why does wearing Seregios's sharp scales as armor not make you bleed?

That's all I have for now but if you can add on to it, I'd love to see what you guys come up with!

-Alternis

-Why am I so vain that I have to flex after everything I do?
-Why does carving a tail not always yield a tail?
-If Deviljho has to constantly eat, how does he survive? Does he not sleep?
-Why are all monsters hollow?

Valus

-Why is Fatalis (an ancient dragon) stupid enough to fight hunters on the ground?
-Why does Gravios fart from its back and stomach?
-Why isn't Tigrex a tiger?
-Why don't Seltas rebel against their abusive queen?
-Why don't Kelbi die?
-Why are small monsters so mentally challenged?
-Why does Chameleos like Max Potions so much?

Ah, I might just leave it then. In every rpg going I seem to end up with a rack full of legendary weapons that some tribe has been worshipping for generations, but isn't quite as good as the other kit I bought from two towns down the road.

What I'm looking for next is an armour set that includes guard-up at G-rank. Does Gravios still have that? My high-rank Black Gravios gear is a bit weak now. After two-hundred talismans, I was kinda hoping I'd find one with a meaty guard-up bonus by now.
I would actually recommend the Lavasioth set once you can trade parts to make it. It may only have 6 gem slots but it has both recovery speed +2 and my new favorite skill stalwart which is a mix of guard boost and stamina recovery up. Only downside is you get taunt and flame aura which will lure every konchu within 100 miles to roll into your shield :p

Rawk Hawk

Anyone interesting in some HR7? Trying to unlock wycoon trades for Kushala parts, but need a key and urgent before I can unlock the Kushala fight.

Room 66-0996-2890-2916

ilium

I finally got my Black Gravios Pallium, which allowed me to finish my Gravios Gigacannon set. It's almost full Grand Amagi, but I manage to get something extra out of it thanks to the kaiser guards.

Grand Amagi Jingasa
Grand Amagi Muneate
Kaiser Guards X
Grand Amagi Koshiate
Grand Amagi Hakama
-----------------
+6 Evade Dist OOO
-----------------

Ruthlessness
Evade extender
Pierce up
Trajectory
Recoil down +1

Exactly the set I finished yesterday. So much fun pumping bullets into huge enemies like Gog!

Tom_Cody

I just ran into my first bow that requires the Awaken skill before its element can be used. Lovely. So now this useless until I can get to caravan 9 and craft decorations with FreeElement I guess?

Related question: When I was trying to figure that out, I noticed the attack/element numbers on some of my various bows are different colors. Red, Blue, or White. What does this indicate? I couldn't find anything on kiranico about this and when I tried to google the question I just got result related to sharpness, which obviously isn't relevant to bows.
Anyone?

jorgejjvr

The colors symbolize whether the bow you're looking at has stronger,worse,ore equal elemental attack.I believe blue is more and red is less. Also,it would probably be best to get armor with the awaken skill unless you have a tailsman to help you get it much easier. You need Alatreon parts to make those jewels.

-Alternis

Tom_Cody

IIRC, Blue means it has a higher value than what you're using, red means it's lower and white is normal.

The colors symbolize whether the bow you're looking at has stronger,worse,ore equal elemental attack.I believe blue is more and red is less. Also,it would probably be best to get armor with the awaken skill unless you have a tailsman to help you get it much easier. You need Alatreon parts to make those jewels.

-Alternis
Hmm, I think you guys are right. I'll test this out the next time I have the game on. I had the Verzweiflung equipped and that was the only one indicating white.

Regarding getting Awaken through armor, it looks like I will still have to be most of the way through High rank before these will become available.

Right now I only have one bow that needs it, so I'll just keep this in mind in general as I continue to progress through the game.

ilium

Hmm, I think you guys are right. I'll test this out the next time I have the game on. I had the Verzweiflung equipped and that was the only one indicating white.

Regarding getting Awaken through armor, it looks like I will still have to be most of the way through High rank before these will become available.

Right now I only have one bow that needs it, so I'll just keep this in mind in general as I continue to progress through the game.

Don't worry too much about bows with awakening. I don't think it's really worth it, other skills are way more important for bow..

Can someone explain to me how damage type works? Or where can I learn about it?
I'm watching Gaijin Hunter's Weapon Tutorials and has laid out the attack damage (ie: 20, 15 stun, 10 exhaust). I suppose what I want to know is, do the monsters have a 'stun' and 'exhaust' gauge?

Tigrex also has stripes! Also, I hope you're having fun in the higher ranks (presumably). I'm taking a break until my new 3DS arrives.

Why would the tigrex be a tiger? lol
It's a mix. It's Tigerannosaurus Rex. lol
I also considered Narga Caruga a panther version of the tigrex.

Top Bottom