• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hey bros, any recommendation for best armor to go along with hammer usage? I know I want fast charge to start. I'm about to hit G rank, so I'm fine farming anything from there.

Note; Coming from a long time Hammer user that switch to Gunlance and SnS in 4U for a different experience.

Fastcharge isn't quite as useful as you might think. If the set happens to have it, then that's fine, but you're going to be getting to the second stage of the charge pretty quickly for that dashing uppercut. Compared to say receiving more raw damage, earplugs and other skills, it's very low on the priority list. And unless they've buffed KO King (another skill you might be tempted to get), you'll probably want to avoid it. The odds are the extra KO damage won't result in another KO during the fight. Or if it does it's because it's dragging on forever and you could have used Stamina Thief, or Attack buff instead.

Tetsucabra X looks to be the best early G rank hammer set. It gives you a nice Defense boost, Stamina Drain, and Sharpener. The only problem with it is you have three slots to work with, so you won't be able to gem in too much.

Najarala is another set to consider. High grade earplugs are great for a Hammer, allowing you critical time to get those head shots in while the monster roars, Tenderizer is good for smashing heads and Tranquilzr is good all around for farming monsters.

Evasion is a good ability to go for in terms of your Talisman / Gem. It's super useful for Hammer, as you'll need those extra frames to roll out of the way because you have no other way to guard. You can even roll through some shorter monster roars, negating the need for earplugs if you master it.

Marathon Runner is a useful ability to have because it will help you keep your charge as you move around for longer. You can obviously bypass this by using Dash / Mega Dash juice as well. Or making a good Hunting Horn friend. :p

If you have a good Destroyer talisman, it can be a great choice. All the other skills you might want, Challenger, Sharpness +1, etc, will probably be too tough to get at the beginning of G rank.

Hope this helps a bit.

For the tl;dr crowd, or just a quick reference:

March 28 & 29 @ Six Flags Magic Mountain
April 3-5 @ WonderCon 2015
April 11 @ Capcom U.S.A. office

Oh nice, I will be attending Wonder Con next weekend. Can't wait!

I'm definitely heading to Wondercon too on Saturday, maybe Friday if I leave work early enough.

I'd be all about going to Six Flags for that Goliath reskin, but I'm not sure.
six-flags-old-man-o.gif

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I do this for bow coatings already but I only use power and close coatings rather than 500 different types of bullets that every BG seems to load.

You guys keep a notebook of ammo to fill up on?

I make an item set for each one of my main LBG. Even though I tend to focus on 2-3 types per gun, I will bring generally everything the gun can shoot as long as it fits into the gunner pouch. If I'm shooting any status, I'll generally bring along books and items to make more of those status bullets as well. I generally have 3-4 slots free in the end. I don't bring things like Paintballs, Tranq Bombs or Whetstones as a gunner, so I have lots of room to carry stuff.

PKrockin

Any tips for Pink Rathian solo? It seems like any time she even touches me it's a hit. The most frustrating is when she just nicks me with her toe and I fall over. There seems to be no tell for that running toe nick attack.
You're going to love Yian Garuga.

Pink Rathian always backflips after doing that midair reposition to your side. Then I think she always lands. Get some hits on her tail when she's flying or release a charge attack on her face the moment she lands. Flash bomb the hell out of her but stay away from her front while she's blind lest you get firebitten. In general dodge to her right while in front of her since the fire bite has more range to her left. If she charges you and then stops quickly and turns quickly to you again she's going to charge you two more times.

Wolfe

Hey bros, any recommendation for best armor to go along with hammer usage? I know I want fast charge to start. I'm about to hit G rank, so I'm fine farming anything from there.

I personally never got into fast charge with hammer but maybe I just never used it enough to get used to the difference. For hammer I'm always big on evasion and stamina skills. If you're up for farming skyemeralds then the Narga G set is a great starter point as it gives evasion +2 and evade distance I think. Zinogre Z and Kushala X are two more good options imo.

OmegaZero

So Athena's ASS is telling me that my Evasion +5 OO- talisman is red or something when I entered it in. Does that mean anything in particular?

Any tips for Pink Rathian solo? It seems like any time she even touches me it's a hit. The most frustrating is when she just nicks me with her toe and I fall over. There seems to be no tell for that running toe nick attack.

Might be late but:
Never run to your right when she's grounded, you risk being fire bitten.
When she turns towards you, she will likely charge at you, prepare for a flip, or fireball if you are far enough. Expect these and position yourself/end your combos so that you can dodge more easily.

Flash bomb her out of the air if you can, but save one and a pitfall trap for when she's exhausted. If you pitfall her when she's tired, she will stay in the trap far longer than usual, and then you can flash bomb her out of the air when she leaves the trap to get even more time to wail on her.

PrankT

I use hunting horn a lot, which is similar in some ways to the hammer. I used Tetsucabra Z Helm/Mail/Braces/Faulds and Tetsucabra X Legs for torso up. Decorate for HG Earplugs and Evasion+ (or focus if you really want it) and whatever charm you have and you are good to go until G2, where you can get the Regios set. G3 is where you can get a lot of great options.

Might be late but:
Never run to your right when she's grounded, you risk being fire bitten.
When she turns towards you, she will likely charge at you, prepare for a flip, or fireball if you are far enough. Expect these and position yourself/end your combos so that you can dodge more easily.

Flash bomb her out of the air if you can, but save one and a pitfall trap for when she's exhausted. If you pitfall her when she's tired, she will stay in the trap far longer than usual, and then you can flash bomb her out of the air when she leaves the trap to get even more time to wail on her.

Thanks for the tips. I will try again later tonight. She just hits like a truck. I think my Def is around 250. Sufficient?

OmegaZero

Thanks for the tips. I will try again later tonight. She just hits like a truck. I think my Def is around 250. Sufficient?

Hmm, my defense was a bit higher then 300 when I fought her but as long as you play defensively, you should be okay. One method is to run outside the area to heal and sharpen/antidote, or run back to camp and sleep to recover full health and remove ailments/blights.

EDIT: I mean, you have like 50 minutes to kill most large monsters, there's no rush. Just take advantage of whatever safe openings you can find and she'll be dead before you know it.

EDIT2: Something I didn't mention is that she'll will also start her tailflip without turning around sometimes, but since there's a tell it's not too hard to predict and avoid. Just watch the way she tenses when she growls: if she shifts her weight to one leg, it'll be a sweeping flip but if not, then she'll just do the Rathian tail flip.

kinggroin

Banned
Note; Coming from a long time Hammer user that switch to Gunlance and SnS in 4U for a different experience.

Fastcharge isn't quite as useful as you might think. If the set happens to have it, then that's fine, but you're going to be getting to the second stage of the charge pretty quickly for that dashing uppercut. Compared to say receiving more raw damage, earplugs and other skills, it's very low on the priority list. And unless they've buffed KO King (another skill you might be tempted to get), you'll probably want to avoid it. The odds are the extra KO damage won't result in another KO during the fight. Or if it does it's because it's dragging on forever and you could have used Stamina Thief, or Attack buff instead.

Tetsucabra X looks to be the best early G rank hammer set. It gives you a nice Defense boost, Stamina Drain, and Sharpener. The only problem with it is you have three slots to work with, so you won't be able to gem in too much.

Najarala is another set to consider. High grade earplugs are great for a Hammer, allowing you critical time to get those head shots in while the monster roars, Tenderizer is good for smashing heads and Tranquilzr is good all around for farming monsters.

Evasion is a good ability to go for in terms of your Talisman / Gem. It's super useful for Hammer, as you'll need those extra frames to roll out of the way because you have no other way to guard. You can even roll through some shorter monster roars, negating the need for earplugs if you master it.

Marathon Runner is a useful ability to have because it will help you keep your charge as you move around for longer. You can obviously bypass this by using Dash / Mega Dash juice as well. Or making a good Hunting Horn friend. :p

If you have a good Destroyer talisman, it can be a great choice. All the other skills you might want, Challenger, Sharpness +1, etc, will probably be too tough to get at the beginning of G rank.

Hope this helps a bit.

I personally never got into fast charge with hammer but maybe I just never used it enough to get used to the difference. For hammer I'm always big on evasion and stamina skills. If you're up for farming skyemeralds then the Narga G set is a great starter point as it gives evasion +2 and evade distance I think. Zinogre Z and Kushala X are two more good options imo.

I use hunting horn a lot, which is similar in some ways to the hammer. I used Tetsucabra Z Helm/Mail/Braces/Faulds and Tetsucabra X Legs for torso up. Decorate for HG Earplugs and Evasion+ (or focus if you really want it) and whatever charm you have and you are good to go until G2, where you can get the Regios set. G3 is where you can get a lot of great options.

Whoa. Thanks. Thank you so very much!!! I've got work to do.

Getting into High Rank solo and I'm really loving where the game is going. I just wish I wasn't always so poor. I spent a few hours farming lesser monsters to get my current set. It's a mix with a poncho for health and regen.

Just got a Rare 8 1200 Raw, 550 Water, White Sharpness (Sharpness +1 brings to Purple), -25% affinity Greatsword. Is there any way I can gauge how good rustshard drops I get are compared to what I can potentially get? Google has been unhelpful.

Valus

Anyone up for HR7 non-key quests? For completion purposes? I'll be doing them for awhile, let me know and I'll post a room.

I hunted G Rank Azure Rathalos 3 times and got 4 rubies, 2 mantles and finished the Armor completely. Today's a good day! But now I want to finish my Sergio Hunting Horn.

Anyone up to help me grind double Sergio? Need the Lens.

Hall ID: 65-3136-4964-9541

Edit: randoms it is lol

Shengar

I hunted G Rank Azure Rathalos 3 times and got 4 rubies, 2 mantles and finished the Armor completely. Today's a good day! But now I want to finish my Sergio Hunting Horn.

Anyone up to help me grind double Sergio? Need the Lens.

Hall ID: 65-3136-4964-9541

Edit: randoms it is lol
Want to help, but I'm in class :(

Just got a Rare 8 1200 Raw, 550 Water, White Sharpness (Sharpness +1 brings to Purple), -25% affinity Greatsword. Is there any way I can gauge how good rustshard drops I get are compared to what I can potentially get? Google has been unhelpful.
I realized that I could just upgrade it fully and not save to look at the results. The Raw damage didn't go up, only the affinity did so I should probably just sell this weapon.

Alicia, Artemis and Sassy, you guys are amazing! We went from B. Gravios(who's actually not too bad a guy, ended up giving me a couple lrg wyvern gems) all the way to gog with little resistance. I appreciate it immensely, and am now too mentally exhausted to even look at my 3ds, lol.

So, i ask the rest of you... now what?

Juraash

Really hoping to hit crown status this weekend. Have barely touched anything in G3. Made an attempt at soloing Teostra since I seemed to have the easiest time with him and it went....not real great lol.

Did go back and clean up single player. Did Caravaneer's Challenge which was kinda fun. The armor pigment is super silly, but it might be fun with armors that get have big sections that change.

Kinda want to build one of the Rajang sets cause it looks cool, but blehhhhhh, he's an ass. Also guess I should get on the rest of the quests for the drive. That seems like a somewhat unpleasant experience.

Yrael

Brute Tigrex is just...blah. That ridiculous super roar. I managed not to faint, but it was a close call on a couple of occasions.

Getting into High Rank solo and I'm really loving where the game is going. I just wish I wasn't always so poor. I spent a few hours farming lesser monsters to get my current set. It's a mix with a poncho for health and regen.

I find it useful to keep a supply of Might Seeds being produced at the Wyporium for funds.

I find it useful to keep a supply of Might Seeds being produced at the Wyporium for funds.
I used to do this until about towards the end of High Rank where the money you get off of it is less impressive. Instead I get most of my money going through my inventory and selling about half of each easily obtained mat (but not rarer stuff that is obviously valuable and would still be used for later equipment)

PrankT

Made a room to do just about anything in. 24-3740-2141-3413, pass 1111.

I still have a lot of canteen and wycoon stuff that needs to get done.

PrankT

So, why did I just choose apex deviljo as my first arena match, and why did I not know it's available for multiplayer? But I got the win!

Shengar

I've search video for Master's Test run, and most of them, even the stylish bomber, used weapon with blast element namely Crimson Fatalis or Teostra weapon. I should make that Crimson Fatalis lance then.

tm24

Speaking of Arena matches. As long as you finish them, you get a coin right? Ranks just determine if you roll another item reward slot right?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yesssssssss beat the Master's Challenge.
I used 6 Mega Pots, 6 Smoke Bombs, 2 Dung Bombs, 1 Max Potion, 3 Traps, 4 Steaks, 3 Nulberries and 7 Farcasters with 8 min to go.

I was really bleh in the beginning since Diablos saw me pretty early on before I could down Seregios. While dancing around to put the fence up, it eventually went Apex and I wasn't able to use my traps to get some damage in so I thought I was screwed. I eventually downed Seregios and allowed Jhobro to kill Diablos for some 25 odd minutes. My cats served as the perfect decoy as they got pinned by Jho, allowing me to trip him and kill his Apex. I went on to Paralyze-Trap-Trap-Trap-Fail Trap Combination-Paralyze to kill him.

Happy Days. :3

KhyneAF.jpg

Are there more housekeepers, because I'll be counting on other people to see what they say.

Speaking of Arena matches. As long as you finish them, you get a coin right? Ranks just determine if you roll another item reward slot right?

you can get double or triple coins if you A or S it. I think! But getting C rank was always like 1 coin, but the few times I A ranked I got two or more coins.

Top Bottom