• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Even if someone joins my quest and carts, I'm still glad they joined something I wanted to do. Admittedly I tend to shower everyone with lifepowder to make sure the quest succeeds. I've got hundreds of it after production-linung the wycoon for the materials, even given handfuls of it to people in the gathering hall before :D

People like you are awesome. Just want to point that out. It's like having a Palico in an online quest that heals when I actually need it.

How can some people be G2 but only HR 30-35? Even if you do just the key quests, wouldn't that put you higher?

I ask because I just did some Azure Rath runs, and got 2 people at HR32 and one at HR42. All three carted once within 5 minutes (ugh). Is that pretty common online with pugs? I usually get better luck than that.

So I made a gimmicky gunlance set using a mix of Seltas X and Z plus a charm I got that's handicraft +4 and loading +7. With it I get artillery expert, load up, sharpness +1 and guard boost.

So I made a gimmicky gunlance set using a mix of Seltas X and Z plus a charm I got that's handicraft +4 and loading +7. With it I get artillery expert, load up, sharpness +1 and guard boost.

That's pretty awesome! I may steal that set idea - I've been dabbling with Gunlance, and wouldn't mind a good set.

That's pretty awesome! I may steal that set idea - I've been dabbling with Gunlance, and wouldn't mind a good set.
Well if you do the mix is XZXZZ. I used the Z greaves since it gives more or less the same skills as X but has 1 more gem slot which means you don't need a weapon slot.

Just did my first multiplayer quest, HR2 now :D

One thing I don't really understand is what's shared between players. Obviously the Supply Box is shared. But is there a limited number of carves/gathers to go around? Also, carts are shared right? So if one player carts 3 times in one quest, the group fails?

Prisoner

One thing I don't really understand is what's shared between players. Obviously the Supply Box is shared. But is there a limited number of carves/gathers to go around? Also, carts are shared right? So if one player carts 3 times in one quest, the group fails?

Congrats on HR2!

Carves aren't shared, each player will get as many carves as in single player.

And yes, carts are shared.

Everybody gets the same amount of carves online or not unless you have a skill that allows you to get one extra (carving master from armor skills and felyne carver hi from the canteen)

Think I'm gonna make the Nerscylla sword, since it has 10% Affinity and I don't feel I'm getting much from my current weapon's Poison.

The set with the pumpkin head looks awesome. Would be cool if you could pay to transfer equipment stats to other equipment.

I've always struggled with how damage works in this game.

I'm playing Hunting Horn, finally got to G rank with my friends, and now I'm not sure what to use weapon wise.

I made a Sforzando+ horn last night, my first G rank material weapon with 1144 raw and blue sharpness. So if I'm fighting say, Gold Rathian who is weak to Thunder, is it better to use that weapon for its high raw or use my Despot's Thunderclap with 832 raw and 340 Thunder?

Shengar

I've always struggled with how damage works in this game.

I'm playing Hunting Horn, finally got to G rank with my friends, and now I'm not sure what to use weapon wise.

I made a Sforzando+ horn last night, my first G rank material weapon with 1144 raw and blue sharpness. So if I'm fighting say, Gold Rathian who is weak to Thunder, is it better to use that weapon for its high raw or use my Despot's Thunderclap with 832 raw and 340 Thunder?
If the monster have weakness to an element and you have a weapon with a corresponding element, you should go with elemental damage. Remember though that it'll be more effective to hit a specific body part that most susceptible to it.

redcrayon

People like you are awesome. Just want to point that out. It's like having a Palico in an online quest that heals when I actually need it.
I have it set up as one of my touchscreen shortcuts. :D

I look at it that I don't have much time to play online so it's worth it purely to make the most of my time, but it's made me a lot of friends too. People always seem happy to help with my urgents after I've shepherded a team through theirs.

upandaway

Went into a capture Monoblos quest, not realizing it's capture. I proceeded to put down my one supply-box trap and have it run away immediately after.

It's been 20 minutes so far of me circling around it, waiting either for my cat to put down a trap or for another supply trap to come in. I have 10 minutes left in the quest. Not giving up yet, dang it.

I GOT IT

CATS CAME THROUGH

Iryx

Anyone interested in doing the final scroll quest, Advanced: Monster Hunter?

Last quest I need to do and I'll be done with all non-dlc quests.

If the monster have weakness to an element and you have a weapon with a corresponding element, you should go with elemental damage. Remember though that it'll be more effective to hit a specific body part that most susceptible to it.
So 300 more element on a weapon is better than 300 more raw, if the monster is weak to said element?

832raw + 340thun is stronger than 1144raw against Gold Rathian?

Ragus

Banned
Can you explain multiplayer to me? I'm 20 hours into singleplayer and today I want to start playing with my friend who is going to buy MH4 today. Lets say, that I want to play with him.

a)Can I progress through all his quests from singleplayer with him?
c)Are we limited to HR quests or something like that?
d)Can we only do special, multiplayer quests which have no connection to SP?

I would love to do all quests up to 4 stars with him so that he can catch up to me. Basically, can we do singleplayer campaing together?

ilium

Can you explain multiplayer to me? I'm 20 hours into singleplayer and today I want to start playing with my friend who is going to buy MH4 today. Lets say, that I want to play with him.

a)Can I progress through all his quests from singleplayer with him?
c)Are we limited to HR quests or something like that?
d)Can we only do special, multiplayer quests which have no connection to SP?

I would love to do all quests up to 4 stars with him so that he can catch up to me. Basically, can we do singleplayer campaing together?

Singleplayer and Multiplayer quests are seperate from one another.

ilium

I see, thanks. I see those quests marked as HR. Would my friend have to gear up in SP before doing those with me?

HR means Hunter Rank in this case. High rank quests start at HR6 i think.
You can carry him to your HR pretty easily by simply doing his keys and urgents with him. But he still needs to play the SP to unlock certain important things.

Anteo

I see, thanks. I see those quests marked as HR. Would my friend have to gear up in SP before doing those with me?

The multiplayer quests follow the same progresion as the single player: Generally, there is one HR for every 2 Caravan ranks and you will find similar quest in each other, so HR 1 will have Great Jaggi, Tetsucabra and the like.
He should be fine as long as he defeats the first Great Jaggi in the SP.

Also some improvements to the food can only be acquired by playing multi, and some SP quest will only unlock after you get to a certain HR so you too should be playing Multiplayer if posible

HR means Hunter Rank in this case. High rank quests start at HR6 i think.
You can carry him to your HR pretty easily by simply doing his keys and urgents with him. But he still needs to play the SP to unlock certain important things.

HR4

Ragus

Banned
The thing is, I haven't touched Hunter Rank yet, so we would both start from scratch when it comes to Multtiplayer.

Thank you for your help :)

Mzo

The thing is, I haven't touched Hunter Rank yet, so we would both start from scratch when it comes to Multtiplayer.

Thank you for your help :)

Hunter Rank just refers to your level in the multiplayer. You can differentiate between single player and multi by saying Caravan or Guild Quests.

The way you rank up is by completing a few quests that are considered Key Quests (though it's not labeled in-game, there are many lists online) and then taking on the Urgent quest as a test. If your gear and skill are decent, you can progress through the ranks really, really quickly.

There are three tiers of difficulty (more or less): Low Rank, High Rank, and G Rank. High Rank starts at HR4 and G Rank starts after HR 7, when your rank limit is unlocked and all the points you've accumulated questing suddenly factor into your rank and blow it up into the double digits.

You fight some of the same monsters in Low Rank, High Rank, and G Rank, but they drop different materials. The armors you make in High Rank make everything in Low Rank obsolete, and ditto for G Rank (mostly). It's a huge waste of time to go crazy farming for equipment in Low Rank or High Rank when you're a few fights away from making way better gear out of like, bnahabra or rhenoplos parts.

I tend to focus on improving weapons and just make whatever armor I have parts for lying around if I feel I'm taking too much damage; I'd suggest doing that for your friend.

Ventara

So I just started playing this on my new N3DS, and I'm enjoying it. I was a little worried because I played the PSP one a few years back and I did feel it was kinda slow, and I've read a bunch of comments about how the game takes 20-50 hours for it to "click" (wtf? I don't have time like that). And the 3D is nice. Not sure if it's because of the difference between my OG 3DS and this new system, but I usually just ignore 3D, though now I might actually use it in this game. I'm still getting used to the C-stick though. It feels weird using it, though I hope to get used to it soon, or at least by the time Xenoblade hits.

Anyways, any tips for a newcomer to this game/series?

redcrayon

So I just started playing this on my new N3DS, and I'm enjoying it. I was a little worried because I played the PSP one a few years back and I did feel it was kinda slow, and I've read a bunch of comments about how the game takes 20-50 hours for it to "click" (wtf? I don't have time like that). And the 3D is nice. Not sure if it's because of the difference between my OG 3DS and this new system, but I usually just ignore 3D, though now I might actually use it in this game. I'm still getting used to the C-stick though. It feels weird using it, though I hope to get used to it soon, or at least by the time Xenoblade hits.

Anyways, any tips for a newcomer to this game/series?
Try the caravan campaign first, especially learning the basics- weapon combos, making a potion, cooking a steak, catching a fish, trapping a monster, buying and upgrading armour, that kind of thing. The online community is great at helping you kill stuff quickly, but really you should know that stuff first, rather than expect people to teach you stuff that you can learn on your own time. Once you can beat a large creature on your own, that's the time to go online, where you'll learn even faster but not be a total liability. At that point, being online will help you progress through the game really fast, but if you jump online first, while other hunters will be doing much of the damage, you won't have much opportunity to learn the 'tells' of each beast yourself as the other players will be beating the basic creatures senseless. Also, there are plenty of upgrades only available in the caravan campaign.

There is a tutorial quest for every weapon- try one, and if the weapon doesn't click, try another until one does. If you are a total newcomer, you might find some of the weapons, particularly the simpler melee ones, easier than others, but it's worth giving most of them a shot.

You don't just need to stick to one weapon either. It's good to learn one at the start, but later on it'll be worth experimenting with something that your current weapon struggles with. For example, a crushing weapon (hammer/GS) if you usually use a cutting one. Experience with other weapons, even if you rarely use them, is never time wasted, as it will help you understand what other players online are trying to do- you'll know when they are charging their attacks, when to get out of their way, or when they are most vulnerable.

Ventara

Try the caravan campaign first, especially learning the basics- weapon combos, making a potion, cooking a steak, catching a fish, trapping a monster, buying and upgrading armour, that kind of thing. The online community is great but really you should know that stuff first, rather than expect people to teach you stuff that you can learn on your own time. Once you can beat a large creature on your own, that's the time to go online, where you'll learn even faster but not be a total liability. At that point, being online will help you progress through the game really fast, but if you jump online first, while other hunters will be doing much of the damage, you won't have much opportunity to learn the 'tells' of each beast yourself as the other players will be beating the basic creatures senseless.

There is a tutorial quest for every weapon- try one, and if the weapon doesn't click, try another until one does. If you are a total newcomer, you might find some of the weapons, particularly the simpler melee ones, easier than others.

Thanks for the pointers. Yeah, right now, I'm just using the knife and shield, which seems to be working out fine, but I'll do the tutorials for the other weapons to get a feel for them.

Anyways, during a mushroom quest, I came across a Wyvern Egg, but it seems I can't place it into my bag. Should I leave it for now or is it worth hauling back to camp?

redcrayon

Thanks for the pointers. Yeah, right now, I'm just using the knife and shield, which seems to be working out fine, but I'll do the tutorials for the other weapons to get a feel for them.

Anyways, during a mushroom quest, I came across a Wyvern Egg, but it seems I can't place it into my bag. Should I leave it for now or is it worth hauling back to camp?
Leave it for now- there are specific quests for delivering eggs later on.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm starting to feel like having three different GS and three different hammers are only serving to slow me down.

I may ditch one weapon type altogether.

Pierate

Does anyone have a high rank yian garuga guild quest they could share? I'm in need of materials but no luck finding one so far

redcrayon

I'm starting to feel like having three different GS and three different hammers are only serving to slow me down
I've got about 18 lances :D

Ultimately you don't know what upgrade materials you'll gain first, so I find it takes the grind out of the game- I keep a wide variety of weapons and just upgrade them as soon as I can, without looking to upgrade anything specific. The monsters are so varied that the advantages of pouring your time into grinding out an upgrade path seems slight compared to enjoying the variety of weapons. My favourite lance is a giant shark paired with a no-swimming sign, and it isn't the most powerful (in terms of raw damage) by a long way. My second favourite is a giant crab claw on a stick, neither are what I would have chosen if I'd have looked at a table of 'best' options.

kinggroin

Banned
I've got about 18 lances :D

Ultimately you don't know what upgrade materials you'll gain first, so I find it takes the grind out of the game- I keep a wide variety of weapons and just upgrade them as soon as I can, without looking to upgrade anything specific. The monsters are so varied that the advantages of pouring your time into grinding out an upgrade path seems slight compared to enjoying the variety of weapons. My favourite lance is a giant shark paired with a no-swimming sign, and it isn't the most powerful (in terms of raw damage) by a long way. My second favourite is a giant crab claw on a stick, neither are what I would have chosen if I'd have looked at a table of 'best' options.

Fair enough. I don't know...there's always this thought of "better get to the end first asap, worry about smelling the flowers after" mentality because I'm not sure how the longevity of the community will be. Maybe I should just relax and do the same you're doing.

Top Bottom