• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Toxi

Banned
That hype story was unknown to me. I merely quoted GaijinHunter because he makes thorough analysis of the gameplay of the franchise and has given us a lot of useful advices and guides (both in text and video format). I have yet to read that some of his work was inaccurate.
He once called MH4 Yian-Garuga's hit boxes fair.

Granted, his contributions to the community are so awesome I don't really care if he's occasionally a bit of a fanboy.

Granted, his contributions to the community are so awesome I don't really care if he's occasionally a bit of a fanboy.

Yup, he helps alot of new people get started with monster hunter.
I always just re direct people to his weapon tutorials when they are starting the game.

Raxious

Aight guys, I need your help:

I currently own a 3DS XL, but will get that New 3DS XL MHG edition. I also got myself a new 32GB micro SDHC to put into it. Now I'm wondering how the hell the system transfer works with a system that already has a game pre-installed, and still needs it's SDHC card changed.

Been looking on the internet but I get tons of different ways and I'm unsure as to which I ought to follow.

Squishy3

I currently own a 3DS XL, but will get that New 3DS XL MHG edition. I also got myself a new 32GB micro SDHC to put into it. Now I'm wondering how the hell the system transfer works with a system that already has a game pre-installed, and still needs it's SDHC card changed.

Been looking on the internet but I get tons of different ways and I'm unsure as to which I ought to follow.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Qe...bKw0MINsSHg6XNRQ/viewform?edit_requested=true

Follow this when you have the system in your hands. Make sure you don't create an account on the new system or basically don't touch anything except starting the transfer process. Read everything over multiple times to make sure you follow the directions specifically and select the options appropiate to your situation.

I followed this guide when I got my 4U 3DS and it worked out totally fine.
Where are you buying it from? I'm pretty sure the MHG 3DS does NOT come with the game.

Says on the page here.
Edit: Guess it doesn't come with the game, so that part's nil I guess.

CrazyHal

Some people actually complained to me that the hold-to-gather mechanic made the game even more casual lol

If there comes a day when the drop rate for rare materials like plates and rubies is increased, those same people will argue that the game is now "shorter and less bang for your buck".

Where are you buying it from? I'm pretty sure the MHG 3DS does NOT come with the game.

Says on the page here.

lol why would anyone complain about holding a button to gather

as if it took skill to repeatedly press A, oh the horror now gathering for rathalos shit and kelbi ass cheeks is gonna take slightly less effort

come on now

Toxi

Banned
And don't forget the ability, with a single menu choice, to remove all decorations from any gear/weapons in your inventory.

Finally.
Fucking finally. It's infuriating having to scan though my gear for decorations, especially with relics in 4U.
For every person asking for tedium to be removed, you have a random fan swearing that it "adds to the experience."
Dude, you want Monster Hunter to be Dragon's Dogma with a new coat of paint. Why are you even in this thread?

Man, I haven't bought a handheld since the DS Lite. I died a little inside skipping Monster Hunter 4 since I enjoyed 3 Ultimate so much, but another Monster Hunter? Just can't do it.

I'm totally ignorant about handhelds. If I'm gonna spend 100+ hours on this, is it playable on a much cheaper 2DS or should I just get the (new?) 3DS (xl?)?

Kinsei

Banned
Man, I haven't bought a handheld since the DS Lite. I died a little inside skipping Monster Hunter 4 since I enjoyed 3 Ultimate so much, but another Monster Hunter? Just can't do it.

I'm totally ignorant about handhelds. If I'm gonna spend 100+ hours on this, is it playable on a much cheaper 2DS or should I just get the (new?) 3DS (xl?)?

The 2DS doesn't have a second nub for camera control. It'll be harder on the 2DS, but still playable. I spent hundreds of hours on 3U on the old 3DS and even the water combat was playable.

PokéKong

Are there any standout music tracks in the hubs for this game? And does this game do a better job at being efficient with its hubs?

Having only played a little 3U and a lot of 4U, I have to say it seemed somewhat pointless how 4U had so many villages when they all serve the exact same functions. Val Habar really impressed me when I started, it felt like the most perfect hub for Monster Hunter, it looked like a beautiful fleshed out living town and yet its layout was perfect and efficient for gameplay, from the entry point you can practically see every point of interest at once due to its downward tunnel design and balanced composure. And then as you progress through the little story you hop to these different towns that are not arranged remotely as conveniently and look pretty drab and simplistic by comparison, I was confused at first, I thought maybe these were returning towns showing up for fan service but apparently not. I'm in G rank now and am pretty disappointed that I'll be spending most my time in the Elder Hall, some cold empty regal throne room with low tempo boring music with nothing but a creepy giant dude staring at you.

Also, is it generally agreed 3 has better music than 4?

Squishy3

PokéKong;209998020 said:
Are there any standout music tracks in the hubs for this game? And does this game do a better job at being efficient with its hubs?

Having only played a little 3U and a lot of 4U, I have to say it seemed somewhat pointless how 4U had so many villages when they all serve the exact same functions. Val Habar really impressed me when I started, it felt like the most perfect hub for Monster Hunter, it looked like a beautiful fleshed out living town and yet its layout was perfect and efficient for gameplay, from the entry point you can practically see every point of interest at once due to its downward tunnel design and balanced composure. And then as you progress through the little story you hop to these different towns that are not arranged remotely as conveniently and look pretty drab and simplistic by comparison, I was confused at first, I thought maybe these were returning towns showing up for fan service but apparently not. I'm in G rank now and am pretty disappointed that I'll be spending most my time in the Elder Hall, some cold empty regal throne room with low tempo boring music with nothing but a creepy giant dude staring at you.

Also, is it generally agreed 3 has better music than 4?
This one's basically a greatest hits, so each new town you go to is one from a previous game and there's a rearranged version of that town's music. See: My "I'M COMIN HOME" post below, which contains a link to the town music from Freedom Unite. The original track for comparison.

I sunk 150+ ours into 4U without a second stick and didn't think twice about it.

I am, however, buying the Circle Pad Pro for this release.

The 2DS doesn't have a second nub for camera control. It'll be harder on the 2DS, but still playable. I spent hundreds of hours on 3U on the old 3DS and even the water combat was playable.
Thanks or the tip; forgot about the "nub." Not much else interests me on 3DS since I'm weirdly picky, so I might just go the 2DS route.

I sunk 150+ ours into 4U without a second stick and didn't think twice about it.

I am, however, buying the Circle Pad Pro for this release.
All righty, more evidence I could get by without the second stick. Thanks!

PKrockin

I love that Pokke Village returned. With the best village no longer being exclusive to Freedom Unite, I no longer have any reason whatsoever to revisit that terrible game.

Kinsei

Banned
I think I'm gonna go to bed soon and set my alarm for midnight. Hopefully it releases at midnight for those of us in NA too.

PokéKong

The last major game I bought a digital version of at launch was ACNL, and if I remember correctly it went live a few hours before midnight since I'm on the west side.

Squishy3

I love that Pokke Village returned. With the best village no longer being exclusive to Freedom Unite, I no longer have any reason whatsoever to revisit that terrible game.
It's still the Monster Hunter I've logged the most hours into.

Ad-hoc party with GameFAQs folks was too good.

Getting excited for other folks to get it so I can jump online!

isCC6B6.gif

Mupod

More then 10 years later and they finally made gathering/carving less tedious?

WHAT THE HELL TOOK THEM SO LONG!? Has silly has this sound, this is one of the biggest improvements in the franchise's history.

it's kind of funny how they have something huge like this in damn near every game. As a gunner I feel like most people didn't appreciate how massively important item loadouts are, and if I remember correctly we didn't even have gear loadouts before 3U. Then you go back a bit further and there's stuff like in-box combining etc.

VandalD

it's kind of funny how they have something huge like this in damn near every game. As a gunner I feel like most people didn't appreciate how massively important item loadouts are, and if I remember correctly we didn't even have gear loadouts before 3U. Then you go back a bit further and there's stuff like in-box combining etc.
Item sets in 4U were a great addition. Just not having to manually store your carves between hunts is a good time saver. Also appreciated the field pouch that came with 4U.

More then 10 years later and they finally made gathering/carving less tedious?

WHAT THE HELL TOOK THEM SO LONG!? Has silly has this sound, this is one of the biggest improvements in the franchise's history.

Watch them take ten more years to increase the item/armor storage size :>

Scrawnton

Question about the game: I bought every MH since 3 on Wii and I love playing them online up until G Rank. For some reason I always find it harder to find people online who want to do the exact monsters I am on and it became too much of a hassle to try ranking up.

I read that this game gets rid of the G Rank. Does this game have a more accessible way to reaching the endgame in online play?

ohlawd

Are we SURE it's dropping at midnight? I don't think I'll have the energy to play it that late, but I definitely want to have it downloaded and installed.

I can say with confidence we ain't getting a midnight launch. lemme dream ok, I edited the post now so no one else ask.

Top Bottom