• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

redcrayon

Thanks for this, will look into it. Is Affinity worthwhile for Lance users because I see a lot of people say the Tigrex line is good which is 25% affinity i think?
Can't say I've used it much- I'm sticking with the self-sharpening Harmah lance (Seregios) for now as it's got a bit of blue sharpness. Affinity is always good though- that's why I take the expert skill.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I've been using the sergios switch axe the whole game and now that I'm ready to start making sets for other weapons, I can't get used to having to use whetstones to sharpen again.

Poking around HR3 and about to do Village Urgent 5. Decided I wanted a Lagiacrus set after already fighting him four times between guild and village. Nice set...but will park it momentarily given fire weak armor wouldn't seem wise against Glavenus or the Raths lol. The Iodrome-sourced armor still serves well enough for fire res and/or negate poison.

redcrayon

Cephadrome. Why. Ugh. I hate this dumb sand shark.
Heh, I fought him twice for keenbones this afternoon, I hate the way he spends half the battle under the sand, popping up to either charge at you or fire projectiles. It's a pretty boring hunt as when he's standing up, outside of his hip check he's an easy mark.

Mupod

would you believe cephadrome used to be way worse, and spent much more time in the sand?

and yet he was still nowhere near as bad as Plesioth.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
would you believe cephadrome used to be way worse, and spent much more time in the sand?

I remember Cephadrome took me a week to beat when I was younger and playing MH1. Almost made me quit.

Then I fought a Plesioth. That made me quit.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a savage jho quest this time around or do we have to just farm a million regular jho and hope to get lucky?

edit - found the unlock conditions

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Also, can anyone tell me if the Black Armor and Black Armor S sets are attainable right now? Can't find where to get those Black Pieces on Kiranico

tuffy

I've never fought Plesioth in a game where I haven't been able to dive in and tangle with him underwater, so this is a new experience for me. But although the crazy underwater Normal lv. 3 shot ricochets are a thing of the past, Pierce shots still wreck him pretty fast.

RedFury

Haha I remember Grank plesioth from Unite...OP. He could OHK you with a hip check with a hit box the size of a mach truck. You had to perfect evade through. I learned invulnerability frames because of him.

I've been using the sergios switch axe the whole game and now that I'm ready to start making sets for other weapons, I can't get used to having to use whetstones to sharpen again.

Would you recommend that over the Pretrified lv 5?

Also, what's a good SA armor set? I'm still rocking my Attack (L) mutt set with KutKu and other pieces.

jorgejjvr

It's a full replacement meant to be installed in the unit. But the stick (the part you want) pops off super easy. Just a little force straight up and the actual stick will come off. And then you can place it in the 3DS c-stick spot with just a little push. I did this the other day and it took all of 2 minutes for the full replacement. And honestly I won't be replacing the c-stick as this works so much better.

Should I rip it off straight from the new 3ds top with a screwdriver, or un screw everything? If this works as well as i think it does, i dont think i will be going back.

And I don't know if I want to risk un-screwing and messing that much with the system

jorgejjvr

There are not enough Keys per rank... People are just interested in those few Keys...

im doing those first, to get to the end

but by the end i intend on going back and doing other quests for a challenge

For example, the hunt-aton of 4-5 monsters, hyper monsters, and deviants

Hopefully gaf is down for that

Pejo

im doing those first, to get to the end

but by the end i intend on going back and doing other quests for a challenge

For example, the hunt-aton of 4-5 monsters, hyper monsters, and deviants

Hopefully gaf is down for that

But if you make it to the end and then do these quests, you're going to have overleveled armor and weapons and it won't be a challenge at all.

Rappy

Also, can anyone tell me if the Black Armor and Black Armor S sets are attainable right now? Can't find where to get those Black Pieces on Kiranico

Black Pieces are mined from the giant sword in the Pokke Village area. Need to complete the request/progress in village quests to gain access.

Pejo

Are there any games on PC that compare to this? Are God Eater or Toukiden Kiwami decent?

Toukiden is a lot of fun, if you can look past the bad performance on PC. I put a good 80 hours into it even with all the BS I had to go through to make it run normally. There's a big emphasis on part breaking, and some of the weapons are really fun to use.

Haven't played God Eater yet, but I have it pre-ordered.

jorgejjvr

But if you make it to the end and then do these quests, you're going to have overleveled armor and weapons and it won't be a challenge at all.

Well, I am hearing some deviant are legit hard.

And that some hypermonsters can one/two shot kill you. So hopefully, the challenge will remain. We can also hunt in pair of only 2s and see how it goes.

That being said, I am hoping hyper monsters are as hard as I hear.

Is there anything harder than those?

Lastly, multiple monsters (4-5) can still be an endurance test

they better be. I can count on one hand the number of GAF members willing to get shit done

I am more than down! I got my urgent on HR 7 (the skeleton, alien, squid thing). And I believe it is end game after that

So i feel pretty good to go against the biggest and harder monsters this game has to offer

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member
Should I rip it off straight from the new 3ds top with a screwdriver, or un screw everything? If this works as well as i think it does, i dont think i will be going back.

And I don't know if I want to risk un-screwing and messing that much with the system

No need to open it up at all. You can use a small flat head to pull the rubber up. It's not hard. There are two spots where it connects in the 3DS. This can be pulled out without much hassle. And then the PSP stick just slots right in.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Would you recommend that over the Pretrified lv 5?

Also, what's a good SA armor set? I'm still rocking my Attack (L) mutt set with KutKu and other pieces.
Honestly I haven't really tried anything else. I'm rolling a specific, really strong setup with the sergios switch axe, silverwind narga armor, and energy charge III + demon riot III hunter arts.

Power phial gives you 1.2x damage in sword mode
Demon riot III gives you 1.2x damage in sword mode
Critical up gives you 1.4x damage for critical hits
Energy charge gives you 30% affinity and instantly fills the sword gauge, allowing you to maintain demon riot for the duration of the hunt

You basically get a base affinity of 80% on the weapon with the above setup (I've got weakness exploit charmed/gemmed in to reach 100% when hitting weak spots) and essentially an overall 2x (1.2 * 1.2 * 1.4) damage multiplier that persists from when demon riot III is charged all the way to the end of the hunt.

ohlawd

I am more than down! I got my urgent on HR 7 (the skeleton, alien, squid thing). And I believe it is end game after that

So i feel pretty good to go against the biggest and harder monsters this game has to offer
we'll see. just got to HR6. I'll probably do the gathering and prowler quests alone again then get a GAF member or two to help with small monsters and large non-keys

Finnroth

Is it just me or is it somewhat crazy how often Monsters run away now? Like, it's near impossible to capture them because they leave the second you arrive.

PokéKong

Is it just me or is it somewhat crazy how often Monsters run away now? Like, it's near impossible to capture them because they leave the second you arrive.

I definitely noticed this right away back in the demo. I didnt't play it as much, but it seemed like this was much worse back in 3, then hardly a problem in 4. But of course this game is all about incorporating stuff from the whole series including the flawed and bland stuff so it makes sense.

Is there some pro trick to remedy this? Does some item also function as an anti-dung bomb?

I also feel like monsters do indeed run more and also have more resistance to getting knocked over the old fashioned way (possibly because aerial style takes that territory now?), conclusion is that the monsters have beefed up their leg strength.

ChrisD

Just checked for curiosity's sake after quitting my session, and I have 100k in Points, 200k in Zenny. I've made a load of stuff, too. At least, in comparison to how I usually play, I have. Have full sets of BuJaBuJaBu, Gammoth, Mizutsune, Pokke and Yukumo Gal, Nargacuga, and Astalos. Got a few goofy things as well, like a Larinoth head. Also have a dozen Hammers, half a dozen Charge Blades, and a few extra Bone and Iron Hammers upgraded to whatever the highest level is that I can do right now.

Is it more expensive for High Rank stuff? Or am I just not making nearly as much Gear as most people?

Tendo

Heh, I fought him twice for keenbones this afternoon, I hate the way he spends half the battle under the sand, popping up to either charge at you or fire projectiles. It's a pretty boring hunt as when he's standing up, outside of his hip check he's an easy mark.

That was the worst part. I was never really in fear of dying, Just waiting forever for it to pop up so I could smash it in the legs. Stamina oil for my SnS ended up being nice because near the end he'd stay up longer standing there drooling. Stupid dumb sand shark thing.

People need to get the fuck away from always using the same goddamn weapons.

Like, why am I playing with other HR 60+ that only use the hellbalde blast? What are you spending time grinding for if not to build other shit? Target some damn weakness

I'm almost at the point where I have a set for every type of monster.

Fandangox

a7khNXm.png

Gonna farm Hellblade Glavenus for a bit.

ID: 03-3072-0093-8356

Quote for PW

If anyone that joins also has a deviant Hellblade Glavenus permit we will take turns in leveling it up (mine is 3)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Doing two hyper monster hunt-a-thons that I need to unlock savage jho if anyone wants to help
57 1789 7573 1223

Sacrifice 20 damage for 10% crit and 1 weapon slot, surely that cant be right. ,
Depends on the weapon. Switch axe gets 10% and 2 slots for a loss of 10 damage. Since all of the deviant sets have no armor slots on the armor itself, one or two weapon slots can make or break activating an extra skill, even with god charms.

For crit based builds like the one I posted above, the closer you can get to 100% affinity the better, and 10% is significant. Also they generally have a better sharpness profile.

Cerity

Are there any games on PC that compare to this? Are God Eater or Toukiden Kiwami decent?

Toukiden is pretty.... underwhelming. Monsters feel nothing like the monsters in MH and combat is pretty generic action. It's a nice intro to the crafting/grind in MH but completely misses the point of what makes MH so good.

Pretty similar case with God Eater (at least the one I played on PSP), but at least it had a cool bullet system thing and sort of tried to do it's own thing. I'll be picking up GE2 whenever it comes out on steam but not expecting much out of it.

Gaz_RB

Anyone wanna hop in and help with My HR1 Urgent?

Room is 59-8633-3029-4005

Thanks in advance for dealing with how much I suck.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anyone wanna hop in and help with My HR1 Urgent?

Room is 59-8633-3029-4005

Thanks in advance for dealing with how much I suck.

Haha, so close to surviving the entire fight!

Beats

anyone want to help me take down a few silver rathalos and gold rathian? Need some scales for a Fire LBG.

38-8222-8551-4072
Pass: 1234

Top Bottom