• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Online (Capcom/Tencent, CryEngine 3) officially announced

Cerity

asdfjkl;

Im throwing money at the screen, why isn't this coming faster.

No translation doesn't particularly bother me, I played MHFO without knowing a lick of Korean and I will probably do the same with this provided there isn't a region of lock of sorts.

Man, I re-watched again and now I'm mad. This level of graphic fidelity should have been in mainline MH already. Fans deserve better graphics than the ugly ass MH4. Fucking shame on you, Capcom.

http://mho.qq.com/main.shtml
that's the official site

translating somethings from http://games.qq.com/a/20130418/000160.htm

after reading the link from OP again, there's a line that says "to let the millions of chinese hunters experience the hunting world in an internet game".... so maybe it's meant to be chinese only... really really really hope that's not the case ; ;
i don't even mind not localizing the game since i understand chinese, i just hope there's no IP block
Thanks,updated

Airan

I like this. Definitely Frontier 2.0 with some new attacks and mechanics (jet ski ocean hunting???) but hoping it paves the way for more HD Mon Hun! It does feel very lifeless until the end where the MH theme kicks in, unlike the bombastic MH4 trailer. They need a better trailer maker.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Man, I re-watched again and now I'm mad. This level of graphic fidelity should have been in mainline MH already. Fans deserve better graphics than the ugly ass MH4. Fucking shame on you, Capcom.
I'd take a monster hunter that looks like MH4 over this abomination any day.

Gloam

Dare I say that it looks too fast paced? I mean, I suppose we won't really know until it's released. Trailer probably wants to make it look all flashy too.

Eteric Rice

So this is a different team making this?

If so, I think I'll stick to the handheld ones. I'm not a fan of games changing teams.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh my god. A MonHun that doesnt look like total shit. Oh MY GOD.

Now watch it be region locked to JPN and never localised. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~

Kurod

Banned
What the hell? A giant beaver monster?

The gameplay looks a bit wanting. Shame the mainline MonHun games will likely never look this good graphically.

jimmypython

how Ironic.........A spinoff MMO for Chinese market has this level of HD graphics while the mainline games (including the upcoming mothership MMO MHFG) look like sh*t

I'm just glad to see Cryengine getting used over Unreal simply for the sake of diversity.

That said this is clearly aimed at mid-range (or what will be considered mid-range once the next generation of consoles hits), it's disappointing seeing some of those ground textures.

Also 24 players seems counter intuitive to Monster Hunters ideology. Still think it'll do well since Monster Hunter is pretty popular and this seems like the next logical step.

Haunted

Monster Hunter in Cryengine 3.
tumblr_m19d6xrqKq1rqfbiro1_400.gif

Chinese MMO by TenCent
bryanno2dffnv.gif

This is the best day of my worst nightmare.

Haunted

It's clear that implementing HD assets does expose some of the more janky animation work and necessitate updates in other areas to maintain the cohesive look that saves Capcom's MH games from looking like complete shit despite still using PS2-era quality assets in 2013.

I still don't get why this is tolerated.
Seriously. Everyone knows Japanese is moonspeak, not Chinese.

VariantX

Even if true, the "real MH team" needs to wake up and smell the coffee. They are becoming dinosaurs and are about to go extinct if they don't step of their game.

Nope, they don't have to do a thing but what they're already doing because they're banking like crazy even in the face of better looking competitors.

It's clear that implementing HD assets does expose some of the more janky animation work and necessitate updates in other areas to maintain the cohesive look that saves Capcom's MH games from looking like complete shit despite still using PS2-era quality assets.
Pretty sure Rathian doesn't move like that in the mainline games or even Frontier. Some of these replies, I swear...

Haunted

Pretty sure Rathian doesn't move like that in the mainline games or even Frontier. Some of these replies, I swear...
I'm not saying they're re-using the animations from the MH games, I'm saying Tencent's own animations trying to ape those of the mainline games - specifically created to mesh well with the fidelity of those models - don't look up to snuff here. As others have said, they look "off".

That said, I'm sure Capcom's own animations wouldn't hold up either if they were to update the monster and environment assets (and only the assets) to Panty Raid levels.

Peru

Even if true, the "real MH team" needs to wake up and smell the coffee. They are becoming dinosaurs and are about to go extinct if they don't step of their game.

This is the real moonspeak. What's your strategy? They've chosen the 3DS, the most popular console in MH's main market by far, as their lead platform. The 3DS does not support HD graphics. Thus main MH games are not HD MH games. It's simple and logical.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So Kotaku made a fool of GAF? Not Vita as first reported though, but samey screens.
No, gaf fooled itself with its arrogance and superficiality typical of who thinks of being always right, always the best and the others are always shit.
Kotaku is kotaku, but those screens(vita apart obviously) were clearly true.
I hope this serves as a lesson, i don't want to be in a blindly arrogant gaf.

Wynnebeck

Banned
This is the real moonspeak. What's your strategy? They've chosen the 3DS, the most popular console in MH's main market by far, as their lead platform. The 3DS does not support HD graphics. Thus main MH games are not HD MH games. It's simple and logical.

Pretty sure no 3DS MH has beaten the numbers of MH3 from PSP but ok.

No, gaf fooled itself with its arrogance and superficiality typical of who thinks of being always right, always the best and the others are always shit.
Kotaku is kotaku, but those screens(vita apart obviously) were clearly true.
I hope this serves as a lesson, i don't want to be in a blindly arrogant gaf.

Kotaku claimed it was a Vita title. They posted it as such.
Kotaku don't lose any credibility, but gain none either.

Top Bottom