• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Series |OT| of endless grinding fun

LProtag

Sounds good, I'll try to pick it up sometime. Anything else really required/nice to have besides a CC Pro (not that it's really required, but I know people suggest them for it) which I already have?

Ken

InsertNameHere said:
Sounds good, I'll try to pick it up sometime. Anything else really required/nice to have besides a CC Pro (not that it's really required, but I know people suggest them for it) which I already have?
A cheap USB keyboard would be nice to have going online.

Stormfell

Neo Member
Zeouterlimits said:
Just borrowed Monster Hunter Tri with the intention of checking out this crazy world, so if anyone wants to play with a newbie at some point. Going to try it on my own for a while first, so I don't completely embarrass myself with a crew.

Any tips/advice is appreciated too.

I am said person who will hopefully succeed in indoctrinating Zouter into the wonderful and frustrating world of MH. I love that game so much. Recently started playing portable 3rd with the english patch. Can't wait for the 3ds ones (if they get released in EU)

Ken said:
Perhaps in the future, when US Tri players are going online they should post what room they are in so people can join even without adding them as friends.
My bad. Left the thread after my last post. Probably should've waited for a response lol.

I tend to jump from room to room so it's usually better to message/warp. Player search means you don't have to add me to find me. But next time I'll see if there's somebody responding first.

Wazzim said:
Do you Tri players want to suggest a standard room to make it easier for people to jump in? (I'll put it in the OP)
Good idea since the previous GAF room got nixed by Capcom when they downsized their server capacity.

Ken

I'm online if anyone wants to play. Currently in a random room with people but someone else can make a new room and I'll join.

LProtag

So after doing a little research it seems that Tri is where the US players are going to be until the 3DS stuff comes out around here? I know there won't be like, a huge community, but I assume it'll be somewhat stable?

Might pick the game up soon with some credit I have.

Ken

InsertNameHere said:
So after doing a little research it seems that Tri is where the US players are going to be until the 3DS stuff comes out around here? I know there won't be like, a huge community, but I assume it'll be somewhat stable?

Might pick the game up soon with some credit I have.
I'll keep playing Tri as long as people still are on it, at least until Tri G releases. I would much prefer playing Portable 3rd online but I lack a PS3 and it seems the majority of Portable players are in Europe.

I come on regularly on Fridays and sometimes the weekend. I'll make the Open server Valor 1 City Gate 40 my first stop. Otherwise, just do a search for Khory (you don't need to friend me to find me). I'm most commonly found on Friday around 8:00pm central or 1:00pm central on Saturday.

Xane

Zeouterlimits said:
Just borrowed Monster Hunter Tri with the intention of checking out this crazy world, so if anyone wants to play with a newbie at some point. Going to try it on my own for a while first, so I don't completely embarrass myself with a crew.

Any tips/advice is appreciated too.
I wouldn't reccomend starting with SnS (Sword and Shield), it might be easier for the first few quests and you might be able to hunt down Great Jaggi, but it will get needlessy hard when you start encountering Lagiacrus.

So I'd suggest going down the route of the Great Sword first. It is alot slower than SnS and it might seem like you don't do as much damage at first, but every hit with the GS does about as much damage as 5+ hits with the SnS. You don't need to use the charge attack much in the beginning, so if it ends up being too hard, don't worry about it yet. You'll get more proficient with the weapon as time passes.

Ken

Xane said:
I wouldn't reccomend starting with SnS (Sword and Shield), it might be easier for the first few quests and you might be able to hunt down Great Jaggi, but it will get needlessy hard when you start encountering Lagiacrus.

So I'd suggest going down the route of the Great Sword first. It is alot slower than SnS and it might seem like you don't do as much damage at first, but every hit with the GS does about as much damage as 5+ hits with the SnS. You don't need to use the charge attack much in the beginning, so if it ends up being too hard, don't worry about it yet. You'll get more proficient with the weapon as time passes.
I'd recommend a Lance as a starting weapon. Great Sword kind of requires the player to know the monster's move set to know when it's safe to run in for a charge attack, while the Lance's shield helps greatly with keeping players alive and close to the monster while its triple stab puts out decent damage.

Xane

Ken said:
I'd recommend a Lance as a starting weapon. Great Sword kind of requires the player to know the monster's move set to know when it's safe to run in for a charge attack, while the Lance's shield helps greatly with keeping players alive and close to the monster while its triple stab puts out decent damage.
The lance isn't a beginner weapon either. It rips you out of any mobility, which might be a bit hard for new hunters. Also, the lance is the only weapon where it's not possible to roll and the jump is completely different.
Also, if you're starting with the offline singleplayer experience, you're basicly limited to start with either the SnS or the GS.

I did fine with the S&S until I could make a switchaxe. The S&S is weak but you can still take down monsters up to Lagi. Supplement with traps and bombs to shave off time.

Xane said:
The lance isn't a beginner weapon either. It rips you out of any mobility, which might be a bit hard for new hunters. Also, the lance is the only weapon where it's not possible to roll and the jump is completely different.
Also, if you're starting with the offline singleplayer experience, you're basicly limited to start with either the SnS or the GS.
Righto, shall switch to the GS, thank you for the tips :)

Xane said:
Shouldn't take too much grinding to buy a basic lance or basic hammer from the armory girl.

All weapons have a learning curve to them. Biggest issue with going through the main game with SnS only is that it's so dependent on elemental damage. For a while, you're kinda stuck with the Royal Ludroth SnS line for element. Which, as pointed out, makes fights against stuff like Lagi especially long and drawn out.

OK, tomorrow I am going to buy the game :D

need some advice! thx Tri community!

1. Should I really get a CC Pro?
I don't have money :(

2. What percentage of the game is multi, what percentage single? can I solo the game? Should I do so?
I am not sure, but I believe it is similar to Diablo? That is, you may solo the whole game, but you can also tag along with people and do the whole game? or does it have a main campaign that is made to be solo, and the rest of the game are quests, etc, to be done multi?

And if I should play online, how much latency is OK? my latency is really high, like 200ms.

3. Is there a specific class that I should start with? or any specific build for starters? I am totally new to the game! does it come with a good manual or in-game training?

any other random advice will be really appreciated!

---
another (really) somewhat important question. How relaxed is the community? I had been playing DoTA for several years before I quit, as it had become a source of stress itself, people took the game TOO seriously! and the competition was fierce. Is this so as well?

Xane

walking fiend said:
I started using the Wiimote and I got the hang out of it quickly.
However, as soon as I got my hands on a CC Pro, I never looked back.
The game just feels right with a CC Pro, it's worth it.

walking fiend said:
2. What percentage of the game is multi, what percentage single? can I solo the game? Should I do so?
I am not sure, but I believe it is similar to Diablo? That is, you may solo the whole game, but you can also tag along with people and do the whole game? or does it have a main campaign that is made to be solo, and the rest of the game are quests, etc, to be done multi?

And if I should play online, how much latency is OK? my latency is really high, like 200ms.
The singleplayer and multiplayer components are cleverly divided.
In offline mode, you are a lonely hunter helping out a small fishing village with their "monster problem".
It starts off as a tutorial and thus helps you getting the hang out of Monster Hunter in general.
Beware though, as the collecting and fetch quests might get a bit tedious at first, but you don't really need to do them right away to advance through the campaign.
In fact, most of the quest are skippable and you can do them later on.
Here's a list of all the village quests of the singleplayer component of MHTri. Only those marked as "Key Quest" are essential for progressing the story.

Also, there are some exclusive content both in offline and online mode. Offline is the only mode where you can encounter Ceadeus. Online has Jhen and Alatreon as exclusive monsters and has also a wider variety of quests coupled with the Hunter Rank (HR) leveling system.
Offline mode also gives you access to the farm, which makes "farming" some of the essential crafting items way easier and convenient (Honey!).

Latency isn't as big of a problem in Monster Hunter Tri, as all actions are more or less client-side like in Mario Kart Wii.

walking fiend said:
3. Is there a specific class that I should start with? or any specific build for starters? I am totally new to the game! does it come with a good manual or in-game training?
There are no "classes" per se but weapons you can choose from and get more proficient with them. In the beginning of the offline mode, you are limited to the Sword and Shield (SnD) and the Great Sword (GS). The offline mode starts off as a tutorial itself, so I would highly recommend you starting with it.

If you need more in-depth information, go visit the Monster Hunter Tri Wikia Page.
It has everything you'd ever wish for regarding MHTri.

Sorry for the bad writing, it's already friggin' late. I don't even know why I'm still up.

walking fiend said:
OK, tomorrow I am going to buy the game :D

need some advice! thx Tri community!

I don't have money :(

It is not necessary. You should be fine with the Remote+Nunchuck

walking fiend said:

The multiplayer and single player are separate. There's a large and pretty robust single player game that follows a basic story. Offline, the only multiplayer is the Arena, where you use preset equipment. I think this is just 2 player. Online is the major multiplayer component. You can hunt with up to 4 other people, and if you really want to, you can hunt alone. It's also free. This is strictly hunting quests, there is no story.

walking fiend said:

Someone else will have to answer this

walking fiend said:

any other random advice will be really appreciated!

Sword and Shield is the basic beginner weapon. Take a look at some recent previous posts talking about this.

walking fiend said:
---
another (really) somewhat important question. How relaxed is the community? I had been playing DoTA for several years before I quit, as it had become a source of stress itself, people took the game TOO seriously! and the competition was fierce. Is this so as well?

Well, you can always run into the oddball, but for the most part it's really relaxed. You run around with ridiculous gear and kill big things. There's no plot, no leveling up, and characters can't hurt each other, though they can interfere with each other. Mostly it's about killing monsters to collect drops to build gear to kill monsters. Objectives are shallow, but it's really fun and the monsters behave pretty dynamically. I've killed the same beasties a hundred times and they still can take me out if I'm not on my toes or unlucky. A failed quest usually results in every one your team screaming "Revenge shall be ours!" and off we go again....either that or some twerp rage quits and you find a better group.

Ken

Xane said:
To each his own I suppose.

I found that trying to evade out of monster attacks I've never seen before to be pretty tough, whereas having a shield to bring up instantly and block most attacks was handy.

No idea on the starting weapons for the single player as it's been awhile since I started a new game in Tri, but Portable 3rd let's you start out with all the weapon types in your storage.

I'm sure most of MonHun GAF is friendly, so if you need an online party to hunt with just post in the thread.

Thank you for your thorough answers! I hit sleep and after a few hours will get the game, and will get CC later if I felt like it, as it seems to be cheap anyway. I'll share my impression after some days, but I already think I'll enjoy hunting me some monsters, specially now that I know the game has tutorial and probably is going to be newbie friendly.

LProtag

Just got the game, I'll put up my info when I get into it a bit. Going to try to get used to offline for a bit first.

I finally beat Gobul. Twice. First I farmed Barroth for his armor and killed Gobul with the Flint hammer. I barely got him (10 minutes left, no continues, no potions left) because even though the Flint Hammer has fire element, it fucking sucks. Later I farmed Barroth some more and upgraded my switchaxe and owned Gobul in about 10 minutes. Feels good man. I was really frustrated with the game and didn't want to play it, but now I'm hooked again. I'm really having problems with the random DCs online though. I tried every router config and port opening scheme. It's always the same thing. I's either my ISP or MH's netcode.

Ken

Oni Link 666 said:
I finally beat Gobul. Twice. First I farmed Barroth for his armor and killed Gobul with the Flint hammer. I barely got him (10 minutes left, no continues, no potions left) because even though the Flint Hammer has fire element, it fucking sucks. Later I farmed Barroth some more and upgraded my switchaxe and owned Gobul in about 10 minutes. Feels good man. I was really frustrated with the game and didn't want to play it, but now I'm hooked again. I'm really having problems with the random DCs online though. I tried every router config and port opening scheme. It's always the same thing. I's either my ISP or MH's netcode.
It's probably your router.

In my third year apartment, we had three Wiis connected to one wireless router. During hunts, one of us would always randomly disconnect. Now that I'm in a different apartment with a different router, I very rarely disconnect.

Ken said:
It's probably your router.

In my third year apartment, we had three Wiis connected to one wireless router. During hunts, one of us would always randomly disconnect. Now that I'm in a different apartment with a different router, I very rarely disconnect.

What kind of router do you use?

Ken said:
No idea then. Hopefully someone more knowledgable on the subject can help.

I think I might have found the culprit. I think it's my 3rd party Wii LAN adapter. I'm connecting through wi-fi right now and haven't DCed in over an hour.

Something weird I found out while troubleshooting was that the Wii wouldn't connect when I hooked it up straight to the cable modem. Is that supposed to be like that?

I got that LAN adapter because I thought it would be better for Mario Kart and Smash Bros than wireless. I guess it wasn't helping anything at all.

K, guys. I bought the game as I said, and, and... I can't let go of it!
I don't have much free time, I am not home much in fact, so can't really play that much, but my whole experience has been really satisfying, satisfying is the best word that describes my feeling from slashing monsters and this animal cruelty. And I haven't experienced online yet, and believe what I understand of the single player and game mechanism is very shallow as ewll.

Now, I have some noobie's questions:

1. I can't change my equipments unless I go back to my room, right?
2. In order to get Klexi guts (or whatever those fish that swim in the ice-sand are named, lvl2 quest) I have to stun them and then extract the guts?
3. How the hell can I stun with my great sword? They just die! (I use wiimote)

thx!

Ken

walking fiend said:
I don't have much free time, I am not home much in fact, so can't really play that much, but my whole experience has been really satisfying, satisfying is the best word that describes my feeling from slashing monsters and this animal cruelty. And I haven't experienced online yet, and believe what I understand of the single player and game mechanism is very shallow as ewll.

Now, I have some noobie's questions:

2. In order to get Klexi guts (or whatever those fish that swim in the ice-sand are named, lvl2 quest) I have to stun them and then extract the guts?

thx!
1. Can only change weapons in your room/chest outside of quests.
2. don't remember. I think you can kill them to get monster guts. The quest gives you bombs to get them out of the sand.
3. Not sure what button it is on a Wiimote.

walking fiend said:

I don't know what ewll means, but single player is tons of fun and not really all that different from the online part.

That's right.

You have to kill things to get guts for those monster guts quests. Stunning stuff with your shield does sometimes get you quest items faster or just different loot. A shield stun that allows you to loot is basically the same thing as a kill.

I use a CC Pro, but tapping X for your second combo hit will make you do a sort of sword side slam that stuns sometimes. You can't really count on it though. If you really want to stun something, use a sword and shield and shield bash. I highly recommend a sword and shield for the sand fish. They're too quick.

Oni Link 666 said:
I don't know what ewll means, but single player is tons of fun and not really all that different from the online part.
My bad, I mean that I don't understand the game mechanism yet to fully enjoy even the single player, but yet it is very fun, like:

2. don't remember. I think you can kill them to get monster guts. The quest gives you bombs to get them out of the sand.
thx, so that's what the sonic bombs are for! I had to chase them from one area to the other before the time ran out :D on a side note, since the name of the area had sand in it, I just took the cold drink as I thought its going to be really hot, wondered why there's a hot drink as well lol

You have to kill things to get guts for those monster guts quests. Stunning stuff with your shield does sometimes get you quest items faster or just different loot. A shield stun that allows you to loot is basically the same thing as a kill.
I don't know, I just get sharp teeth when I kill them and loot them :(

I use a CC Pro, but tapping X for your second combo hit will make you do a sort of sword side slam that stuns sometimes. You can't really count on it though. If you really want to stun something, use a sword and shield and shield bash. I highly recommend a sword and shield for the sand fish. They're too quick.
That's what I think I should do, its possible to use great sword, I killed dozens of them, but it wasn't really fun and you knew it wasn't meant to be done like this.

btw, game looks GOOD! didn't thought Wii could pull off something like this.

Ken

The desert area has a night and day time version. At night, you'll need hot drink in the desert area and during the day, cold drinks.

Ken

DeaconKnowledge said:
Just got to level 30 and I need some competent hunters to take on Jhen. Will anybody be on 2 hours from this post?

Not a fan of Jhen but I can be on to help.

Ken

walking fiend said:
What do you mean by level 30? The character levels up? 0_0

Hunter Rank. It's for the online mode. Clearing quests gives points which go to your hunter rank. Getting your hunter rank up certain points opens up an urgent quest for you to clear which opens up the next set of quests.

Top Bottom