• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Series |OT| of endless grinding fun

I sadly no longer own a Wii but I do own a copy of Monster Hunter Tri, would it be better to try to emulate it on my PC? (AMD Phenom II X4 B60 @ 3.3Ghz, ATI Radeon HD 6770, 8GB DDR3 RAM) or to purchase MHP3rd to play on my PSP Go (along with english patch)

I could also get MHP3rd HD version, but I'm worrying that I'll get to a point where I'll be stuck with language later into the game, my PS3 is also wireless. :(

Wazzim

Banned
MHTri on Dolphin or MHP3rd with patch are both good ways to experience Monster Hunter. I'd just play on Dolphin for now if I were you, you have the game anyway so why not?

Does Dolphin allow the game to go online?
It did not last time I checked.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Also I played the demo again, killed Jaggi on my first try but with less than 5 minutes left. Need to get better. :p

Hi! I'm on Freedom Unite and Portable 3rd via Ad Hoc Party from time to time!

PM me if you want to exchange PSN IDs. I'm in Japan but it's nice to speak English every now and then.

I want my Sword Saint Pierce in 3rd so I am looking for group training help.

Thanks in advance!

-Sanae

Also I played the demo again, killed Jaggi on my first try but with less than 5 minutes left. Need to get better. :p

Sadly, no.

It's a shame as without the Korean version of Frontier still being available and with my PS3 hooked up by wireless I am pretty much screwed playing Monster Hunter online with people.

MightyKAC

Just recently dug up my Wii and my copy of MHtri as well.

Wonder if my character still exists and if there's still a playing community.

The Lamp

I'm interested in getting into MH but I'm not sure where would be good to start. I'm guessing MH3, but since the 3DS version came out in Japan, I think I might want to wait for that. But when does it come out in NA?

And I'm guessing we don't know anything about MH4 yet besides the debut trailer?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Getting better! Been playing the demo more and I can beat Jaggi in just over 10 minutes. Getting a lot more comfortable with the controls on the CC Pro. And I'm actually using the second analog stick well! I normally ignore it in just about every game.

I'm also getting a lot better at using rolls, managing health/potions, sheathing/unsheathing, and dodge slicing. The only thing I'm unsure about is the spirit bar -- I mix R liberally into my attacks and I get that red powerup effect for a second, which is good I think, but I obviously haven't drilled down into it very deeply.

The whole item crafting part is also something that is impenetrable for me right now, but that's because it's not in the demo. Is progression pretty straightforward? I don't need to print out a graph or something for my weapons do I?

Time to try Qurupeco. :p I think I only took him down once like a year ago. Actually, I don't know if I've ever taken him down... Well, that will be what I do before I buy the full game.

Edit- Couldn't take him down in the time limit. I thought I was really close though. =/ I broke his beak or whatever.

Edit 2- Can someone help me with the Long Sword's combos? It's tough trying to find info on the net about it. So far, this is what I have:

Unsheathed
X - Vertical slice
A - Forward thrust
A->X - Vertical thrust (can be repeated indefinitely)
X+A - Dodge slash (breaks any combo) (can be combined with left analog stick)
R+X+A - Draw into spirit combo (requires spirit)​

Sheathed
R+X+A - Quick draw​

-> means one button press, release, then another button press. + means pressing all those buttons at the exact same time.

It's video capturing upscaled to 720p. Looks pretty blurry on 720p to be honest, Dolphin doesn't support WFC in the slightest because Wii Connect 24 is incredibly complicated thus it'll be a while before it happens.
That was merely upscaled to 720p? Looks so much better than my ghetto settings
of 480i on a large-ass screen :lol

Edit 2- Can someone help me with the Long Sword's combos? It's tough trying to find info on the net about it. So far, this is what I have:

Unsheathed
X - Vertical slice
A - Forward thrust
A->X - Vertical thrust (can be repeated indefinitely)
X+A - Dodge slash (breaks any combo) (can be combined with left analog stick)
R+X+A - Draw into spirit combo (requires spirit)​

Sheathed
R+X+A - Quick draw​

-> means one button press, release, then another button press. + means pressing all those buttons at the exact same time.
Looks about right except you only need to press R for the spirit combo if you're unsheathed.

Just chain one thrust with two vertical slices over and over to build up your bar. Use the dodge slash to cancel and reposition if you sense an attack coming your way. Then, spam dat spirit combo at every opportunity*. /longswording101

Once you've hit a monster with your spirit finisher for the first time, your gauge will glow white and you'll have a small attack boost. This buff remains until you cart or until you upgrade your gauge to a higher color tier. Land another spirit finisher with your white gauge filled and the gauge turns yellow, which gives a medium attack boost. This glow disappears altogether if you don't keep your gauge filled by attacking continuously. You reach the red glow if you land a finisher with your yellow gauge filled. The goal is to keep your gauge at this level since it gives the largest attack buff. You have to keep landing the spirit finisher to keep the gauge from depleting though. If it falls under a certain level, you start back at square one (no glow).

*knowing when to use this is key since you still take damage from minor monster attacks even if you don't get knocked back; you also should be considerate of others if you're hunting in a group :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Looks about right except you only need to press R for the spirit combo if you're unsheathed.

Right and also I found out that the infinite combo is X->X->A (repeated.) That's why I couldn't do it before.

Just chain one thrust with two vertical slices over and over to build up your bar. Use the dodge slash to cancel and reposition if you sense an attack coming your way. Then, spam dat spirit combo at every opportunity*. /longswording101

I still need to get better about dodge slashing. Right now I just roll everywhere since it seems like dodge slashing takes really long to go through.

Once you've hit a monster with your spirit finisher for the first time, your gauge will glow white and you'll have a small attack boost. This buff remains until you cart or until you upgrade your gauge to a higher color tier. Land another spirit finisher with your white gauge filled and the gauge turns yellow, which gives a medium attack boost. This glow disappears altogether if you don't keep your gauge filled by attacking continuously. You reach the red glow if you land a finisher with your yellow gauge filled. The goal is to keep your gauge at this level since it gives the largest attack buff. You have to keep landing the spirit finisher to keep the gauge from depleting though. If it falls under a certain level, you start back at square one (no glow).

OK. Thanks for explaining the gauge stuff, I was still fuzzy on all that.

*knowing when to use this is key since you still take damage from minor monster attacks even if you don't get knocked back; you also should be considerate of others if you're hunting in a group :p

That's what I hear. Thanks. :)

Sort want to try control type 2 (attack with right analog stick) but I feel really comfortable with that acting as camera control now...

Wazzim

Banned
Infinite combo is pretty useless with the new Spirit combo in MH3 onwards (IMO). Merely good for filling up the spirit gauge when the monster is down.
I use the 'dodge slash' a lot in higher rank quests. It helps keeping the momentum (and gauge full) and can trip some over after a few attacks, opening up for some spirit combo action.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah I've found it still pretty hard to keep going... I'll keep trying to work dodge slash into things. I just failed again at Qurupeco (I think this is like the sixth or seventh time), and I'm getting better... if I had five more minutes, or even two more I probably would have killed it by now. But you pros here can probably off it in less than five minutes I bet. :p

Still can't beat it in 20 minutes. :/ Thinking of just changing weapons.

Is this the demo disc? That thing was my introduction to Monster Hunter too. I played the hell out of it until I was able to kill both the Jaggi and the Pecco. Then I played it until I could take them both down in a single hunt (when Pecco summons Jaggi). Keep at it, it's definitely doable, though I think I did have to use a heavier weapon because the sword and shield just wasn't doing damage fast enough.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is this the demo disc? That thing was my introduction to Monster Hunter too. I played the hell out of it until I was able to kill both the Jaggi and the Pecco. Then I played it until I could take them both down in a single hunt (when Pecco summons Jaggi). Keep at it, it's definitely doable, though I think I did have to use a heavier weapon because the sword and shield just wasn't doing damage fast enough.

That's the idea, beat them both before buying the actual game.

I was actually thinking of switching to Sword and Shield from Long Sword... Maybe I'll try a heavier weapon...

Khory, Jason, Lance: Good hunts. Bummer that Khory got D/C on that last quest. Also, I accidentally hit quit too quickly before Jason's friend request came through so you might have to send it again next time. :/

Never played the demo. What are your options in terms of gear (armor, weapons, etc.)?

Khory, Jason, Lance: Good hunts. Bummer that Khory got D/C on that last quest. Also, I accidentally hit quit too quickly before Jason's friend request came through so you might have to send it again next time. :/

Tell me about it. My connection didn't go down but the snowstorm here seems to have brought the internet to its knees. I'm operating at dial-up speeds. Too much instability to reconnect. Bummer indeed.

Well, if you chose longsword solely because it looks cool, it might not be the weapon for you. If you're comfortable with it then there's no reason to change, really.

The choice is yours, in the end. If you're still going through longsword though, maybe this video might give you some insight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10d28-xy0ZY&feature=youtu.be

Mind you, I'm not good at this game, and I play using lance normally. So it won't be hard to top this video once you get going.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You jerk, I was looking up videos like that the other day. Why is it unlisted? :p

Edit- Oh you just recorded it. Lol. Sorry.

You jerk, I was looking up videos like that the other day. Why is it unlisted? :p

Edit- Oh you just recorded it. Lol. Sorry.

lol, I usually only make my videos for friends on my MSN list, if anything. And just for you, I busted out my MH3 demo and beat up qurupeco for you.

Well I have complete faith in your ability to beat qurupeco, might take a bit of practice but I'm sure you can do it. I might be the wrong person to ask, but I can try to answer any questions if you have them and get you through at least qurupeco. Otherwise, watching the video should help. At the very least, it will teach you how to take an explosion in the face multiple times.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
On my first try since watching your vid I did it! I have finally conquered the MH Tri demo. It was close though, less than 5 minutes and the bastard kept flying away when it was low on health. I'm sure I only had seconds left.

Man, feels so good. According to the demo though it's only 3/5 on difficulty.
KuGsj.gif
So it'll be a long long time before I'm even decent.

Orayn

Things get easier without the time limit and when you follow a more natural progression of missions, since you won't just be dropped in and expected to perform.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Things get easier without the time limit and when you follow a more natural progression of missions, since you won't just be dropped in and expected to perform.

Oh really? That gives me hope.

Time to buy the full game! Anyone here use WiiSpeak? I probably won't get it.

Orayn

WiiSpeak is pretty much extinct now and no one really used it in the first place.

EDIT: Get a cheap USB keyboard if your console/TV setup allows one to be used. Lots of people type online.

Yeah, Wii Speak is a no, but keyboard is a must. Any usb board will do.

I recommend this one, though you might try and find it cheaper. It's what I bought when it was on sale for $15.00. Sweet little keyboard, and despite what the packaging might say, it's compatible with any usb device, not just the Wii.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D1HCF6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

On my first try since watching your vid I did it! I have finally conquered the MH Tri demo. It was close though, less than 5 minutes and the bastard kept flying away when it was low on health. I'm sure I only had seconds left.

Man, feels so good. According to the demo though it's only 3/5 on difficulty.
KuGsj.gif
So it'll be a long long time before I'm even decent.

Hey congrats, you're probably more than ready for the actual game. You might want to familiarize yourself with one of the other weapons though, I think it takes a little while until you can craft a long sword, well past the point at which you fight qurupeco actually.

And the recommendation's been made already, but a USB keyboard is recommended. I personally use msn and occasionally skype to communicate with the people I play with.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, Wii Speak is a no, but keyboard is a must. Any usb board will do.

I recommend this one, though you might try and find it cheaper. It's what I bought when it was on sale for $15.00. Sweet little keyboard, and despite what the packaging might say, it's compatible with any usb device, not just the Wii.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D1HCF6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Would a wireless USB keyboard work? Probably not...

Hey congrats, you're probably more than ready for the actual game. You might want to familiarize yourself with one of the other weapons though, I think it takes a little while until you can craft a long sword, well past the point at which you fight qurupeco actually.

And the recommendation's been made already, but a USB keyboard is recommended. I personally use msn and occasionally skype to communicate with the people I play with.

Do you have a particular weapon to recommend? I think the Switch Axe is cool, but I know that it's the most badly used noob weapon (along with the Long Sword, lol.)

Would a wireless USB keyboard work? Probably not...

Do you have a particular weapon to recommend? I think the Switch Axe is cool, but I know that it's the most badly used noob weapon (along with the Long Sword, lol.)

Almost any wireless keyboard will work. I usually transfer my Dinovo edge to my wii if I need to communicate in-game with certain people, and strangers.

As for your starting weapon, any one will work. They're all fairly balanced so there's nothing you can really go wrong with. Sword/Shield will have a harder time with qurupeco for sure because of its range and lower damage. In terms of simplicity, my opinion is that hammer is the easiest weapon to get into. It definitely lacks range though. Switch axe might work out for you if you're comfortable with dodging on longsword...I don't think it's immediately craftable offline, but you can just go online to craft it if you nabbed all the materials offline.
My only suggestion is that you enjoy the weapon enough to use it. Nothing's less fun than using a weapon you're not into at all, but at the same time dying's not exactly everyone's idea of fun either. Just find something that feels right and go with it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cool, thanks for all the advice. Might be a bit before I buy it but I have the money ready.

Orayn

I'd like to put Greatsword forward as my recommendation for a starting weapon. It's slow, but very fun to use and does a good job of teaching you the fundamentals. Definitely try them all, just make sure you give Greatsword a shot. :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol, Peco summoned what I assume is the Rathian. Totally owned me, I died to many times the timer didn't have to run out. Had fun trying to score some hits and learn its attacks, though. I assume in the real game I'd be able to handle it better (outside the Peco quest.)

Rathian is brutal, demo or not. I find it's a pretty big tripping point for most people I play with, as well as the monster after that. For the demo though, might as well throw poo at the Rathian and hope it goes away, or throw the sonic bomb and hope you make it in time to stop qurupeco from calling it.

If you've got the money though, you should get the game soon. Every monster you kill in the demo could be killed in the actual game, and over there you'd be carving parts towards making your next piece of armor or weapon.

Rathian really isn't too bad. By the time you get a proper quest to hunt her, you'd have already beaten the monster that gives new players fits and the lessons you learn in that fight should help you a lot against Rathian.

Fighting both Peco and Ian by yourself is a bit of a pain though, especially as a new player. Focus on Peco and you risk Ian laying the hurt on you with those fireballs. Focus on Ian and Peco will buff both of them with its dances.

As a side note, the arena is a great place to learn new weapons since you don't have to spend the resources to make a weapon that you may or may not like.

Rathian really isn't too bad. By the time you get a proper quest to hunt her, you'd have already beaten the monster that gives new players fits and the lessons you learn in that fight should help you a lot against Rathian.

Did...I get the order wrong? I thought that boss came after Rathian. Guess it's been a while since I looked at the boss order lol

Forgot to mention that the game gives you sword/shield and greatsword to start off with in offline mode I think, so if you want to go the cheap route you can get away with upgrading those weapons slightly until you get to your longsword.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Did...I get the order wrong? I thought that boss came after Rathian. Guess it's been a while since I looked at the boss order lol

Forgot to mention that the game gives you sword/shield and greatsword to start off with in offline mode I think, so if you want to go the cheap route you can get away with upgrading those weapons slightly until you get to your longsword.

Ah, which is what I'll probably do. Great Sword, since it was already recommended.

Ordered my copy of Tri from Amazon! How am I going to juggle MH and SWTOR?

Just imagine if Gray was hitting in a few months. Your life would be forfeit.

Peru

It's nice to see even more new players. I started my Monster Hunter journey late last year and I'm currently at the 2nd (and real) encounter with Lagiacrus. He's fine, what I really hate is the tundra with the creepy crawly Gigginox.

Anyway it's become something of a favorite franchise in only one game and a few months. I echo the sentiments on weapons: go with what feels good. I know the lance is a superior weapon for several of the encounters, but I just don't like it, so I don't use it. Great Sword and Longsword, on the other hand, feel godly.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I got my copy!

"New" from GameStop even though they had to get the disk behind the counter, it had THREE price stickers on it, and the case is beat to hell (with what looks like another price sticker peeled off the spine.) But even though that all sucks what really matters is the game. Not at home but I might hop online tonight if anyone feels like helping a total noob out. :)

I got my copy!

"New" from GameStop even though they had to get the disk behind the counter, it had THREE price stickers on it, and the case is beat to hell (with what looks like another price sticker peeled off the spine.) But even though that all sucks what really matters is the game. Not at home but I might hop online tonight if anyone feels like helping a total noob out. :)

Fantastic news, save for the whole gamestop bs, ridiculous that they can sell something like that new. Honestly, the only way you could do any worse than gamestop is if you were unlucky enough on ebay and someone dropped a stinker in the case before mailing it to you.

I won't be home till later in the night, and still have to work the next day but I'll have a couple hours to play. I'll probably be ready around 9:30pm, and the time now is...12:20pm when I'm making this post, so yeah.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fantastic news, save for the whole gamestop bs, ridiculous that they can sell something like that new. Honestly, the only way you could do any worse than gamestop is if you were unlucky enough on ebay and someone dropped a stinker in the case before mailing it to you.

Honestly I'm seriously considering buying a replacement case. I'm not Huelen-levels of case-crazy, but this one is seriously in bad shape.

I won't be home till later in the night, and still have to work the next day but I'll have a couple hours to play. I'll probably be ready around 9:30pm, and the time now is...12:20pm when I'm making this post, so yeah.

That's... 11:30 for me, I don't know if I'll be up that late but we'll see.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it from GS? Because it's under $20 on Amazon and I'm pretty sure I've seen it $19.99 new in various B+M stores.

Post your code in the topic whenever you get online. I still think you should wade through the offline tutorial first. If nothing else, the offline tutorial will bore to death once you've gotten a taste of how fun the online multiplayer is. And you can't avoid the offline section since there's a offline only monster that gives out parts for very useful equipment.

Top Bottom