• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories coming to the west this Fall

I gave up hope on this coming out. This is the only Monster Hunter that I wanted. Will most likely be one of the last games I get for my 3DS.

HeeHo

Getting this for sure. I hardly play my 3DS anymore but I love how this game has armor sets and is turn-based (right?).

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sweet been waiting for them to announce that they were localizing the game.

I will be sure to pick it up as I have been asking for a Monster Hunter RPG.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh cool. Did japanese GAF ever say whether this was good or not? I love Monster Hunter games, but wasn't sure this would be worth it.

NeonZ

This game was lovely. Really happy it is being localized!

Put some 50 hours into it. Was especially surprised at how good the story was. Don't let the awful anime fool you, I dropped it at around episode 12 because it was so terrible and they ruined the best parts of the game's story and even Navirou's character. He was my favorite in the game but the anime just butchered him :/

Zelda DLC is really great too. I made a video of the gameplay, it's pretty much the closest we'll get to a new 3D Zelda game on 3DS lol

Is the Zelda content very late game like in MH4U?

TheOasis

Before this announcement, I thought that this game could of been a victim of being released too late in the 3DS lifespan for capcom to consider bringing it to the west. I'm not sure whether I'll play it but it's great that this game is finally getting localized.

I hope MHXX is brought to the west too,
alongside a HD Switch version of it.

NewGame

Banned
I don't understand the point of this game, some sort of anime gentrification? MH for the kiddy babes? Capcpom?

Just going to wait for MHXX like the majority.

Did they say whether or not the Amiibos for this game are coming out too? Not sure what they do, but I remember seeing them in Japan, and thought they looked awesome, but were kinda big and I had a lot of stuff I was bringing back home already.

watershed

Banned
Game looks great but my 3ds is retired at this point. I'm glad it's coming west though, and hopefully this means more capcom games to come.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Did they say whether or not the Amiibos for this game are coming out too? Not sure what they do, but I remember seeing them in Japan, and thought they looked awesome, but were kinda big and I had a lot of stuff I was bringing back home already.

The logo is on the box so it's likely. They didn't announce it yet though.

It would be weird if they didn't come over.

Tiktaalik

Very cool surprise. I thought this game looked interesting when it was first announced for Japan.

So Japan GAF where are you? Is this game worth a look?

kubus

Is the Zelda content very late game like in MH4U?
Some parts of it, yes. For the sword iirc you have to win an online multiplayer battle so it depends on luck, I guess. if you get matched with someone who only just got out of the tutorial, you can get it early and it's a decent sword.

Epona and the outfit have to be obtained by clearing a tournament mode which is impossible if you aren't high leveled and/or highly skilled.

I think the Majora's mask is unlocked by clearing a sidequest which wasn't too difficult iirc but I was already halfway the story.

Very surprised to see this get announced for the west. Definitely far more invested in my Switch at this point, but I guess my 3DS will be going in my Switch case's extra pouch for a little while.

Pretty excited for this. I don't know why some of you guys thought it wasn't coming over here though. Seemed like only a matter of time to me. Kinda surprising that they didn't mention the amiibo support though. I wonder if the amiibo will arrive on the same day that the game launches. Hopefully it isn't exclusive to a certain retailer.

This is now a MHXX thread.

Carry on XD

Out.
Generations paled in comparison to the KING 4U, if not for the novelty of playing XX/G2 with dual sticks on a TV on Switch then they can keep it.

Pretty excited for this. I don't know why some of you guys thought it wasn't coming over here though.

It bombed in Japan after a long development, manga, anime and amiibo line.
Many considered the whole project dead at that moment.

Now this is the new Hunter Hunter game that I would actually buy, so I'm glad it's being localized.

Its spinoff nature makes it fresh, and the game looks intriguing. Loved and played the hell out of MH4U, but I don't really need more of the same so soon.

I have to wonder about those Amiibo. If the boxes are anything to go by as well as these being announced by Capcom themselves:

MonsterHunterStories-Amiibo-1024x411.jpg

amiibo%2Bmonster%2Bhunter.jpg

These Amiibo are third-party releases by Capcom. Coming after Shovel Knight which was the first.

latest

Capcom is indeed risk averse but considering Amiibos are identical across regions they could just take and unsold Japanese inventory and sell it in the West. They should be some considering the poor performance of MH: Stories in Japan.

tuffy

It bombed in Japan after a long development, manga, anime and amiibo line.
Many considered the whole project dead at that moment.
But that doesn't make sense. The development is done and those costs are already sunk. The only reason not to bring it over is if Capcom feels it'd do so poorly that it wouldn't make back the one-time cost of localization, which apparently isn't the case here.

Mupod

Never understood the hate it got simply for not being a traditional MH game, but I didn't see much discussion about it after it was released.

I find the MH universe fascinating on its own and also I want have a pet Nargacuga so that works out. Very likely I'll pick it up.

Also when I saw it has Amiibos I felt like someone walked over my grave. I don't want to go down that dark path, but it's MH...

Top Bottom