• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World TGS 2017 Trailer

Less rendered footage is a big boost when it's on home consoles. Also, having way more detailed facial animations really pushed it beyond what the handhelds do. They have always had nice but simplistic cutscenes, so it's nice to See something a bit more updated and fleshed out.

Amen.

On another note, it'd be nice to get more information about some of the monsters. My initial concern that there'd be too few new monsters has been quelled. The only returning monsters I've seen so far are Rathalos, Diablos and Barroth, with 11(?) brand new species shown off. I'm wondering if they can hit a count of 30 monsters. That would be the sweet spot.

Ridley327

I do expect that this will probably wind up as one of the easier mainline installments, but like anything Monster Hunter, it all comes down to the end-game content, especially once we know about how they're going to handle G-rank content when the time comes to start introducing that element to the players.

Toxi

Banned
Amen.

On another note, it'd be nice to get more information about some of the monsters. My initial concern that there'd be too few new monsters has been quelled. The only returning monsters I've seen so far are Rathalos, Diablos and Barroth, with 11(?) brand new species shown off. I'm wondering if they can hit a count of 30 monsters. That would be the sweet spot.
Rathian had been confirmed too.

D.Lo

It does legitimately look like it has achieved what the series has been trying to invoke for years. I've tried and haven't been able to get into several previous entries.

Fuck you Campcom I might actually try this...

Boogiepop

Okay, this trailer largely quelled my concerns about monster design. Still think the initial batch they showed off look waaaaaaaay too generic and bland for the series, but the new ones glimpsed here looked plenty on point for me. So now I guess all I'll be waiting on is a halfway decent monster count (IE I'm not expecting them to hit the numbers of the 3DS games (much as that drop is going to sting, logical as it may be), but... not sure I could really put up with, say, returning to a Tri level of large Monsters to fight.)

Syril

MatureRepentantHyrax.gif

I can't believe they made a Honduran White Bat wyvern.
640px-Ectophylla_alba_Costa_Rica.jpg

Wasn't interested before as I've never played a Monster Hunter game previously, but the emphasis on the story might be the thing that gets me to give it a shot.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Okay, this trailer largely quelled my concerns about monster design. Still think the initial batch they showed off look waaaaaaaay too generic and bland for the series, but the new ones glimpsed here looked plenty on point for me. So now I guess all I'll be waiting on is a halfway decent monster count (IE I'm not expecting them to hit the numbers of the 3DS games (much as that drop is going to sting, logical as it may be), but... not sure I could really put up with, say, returning to a Tri level of large Monsters to fight.)
At the very least I hope that they at least hit Monster Hunter Generations numbers in terms of Monster count because outside of the current version of Monster Hunter Frontier and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate they often don't brrak the gold standard that was set by Monster Hunter Freedom Unite of:

# Small Monsters: 23
# Large Monsters: 58
# Total Monsters: 81

Kinsei

Banned
At the very least I hope that they at least hit Monster Hunter Generations numbers in terms of Monster count because outside of the current version of Monster Hunter Frontier and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate they often don't brrak the gold standard that was set by Monster Hunter Freedom Unite of:

We're not going to get 73 large monsters at launch. We'll be lucky to even get 30.

The 4th gen opener had

September 14, 2013
# Small Monsters: 20
# Large Monsters: 51
# Total Monsters: 71

So I am optimistic they will match or beat these numbers for MHW

I say 50 Large monsters minimum

they have had 4 years and are using a familiar engine. I have to imagine they have been working efficiently

We're not going to get 73 large monsters at launch. We'll be lucky to even get 30.

4th gen had 71 at the outset. Base MH4 was huge and they have already said this is the largest game they have ever made

I dont get the pessimism here. All the evidence so far and precedent from 4th gen point the other direction as far as content volume

Ridley327

We're not getting a G-rank sized roster, which is what that game was. Hell, we're not going to get a vanilla MH4-sized roster, which was damn near G-rank sized itself.

Raide

Amen.

Does the puffy bat thing look more like a winter/Arctic zone map or something else? I saw what looked like jellyfish floating around and thought it was underwater haha.

We can expect at least a few more per zone for a volcano, frozen, swamp style area right?

We're not getting a G-rank sized roster, which is what that game was. Hell, we're not going to get a vanilla MH4-sized roster, which was damn near G-rank sized itself.

What makes you say that?

we have 4 games in a row with huge content volumes

AGAIN

- Main team with massive effort
- Important generational title
- 4 years in
- Familiar engine (so not starting from scratch)
- Dev commentary claiming size of game is largest they have ever done

Im leaning more towards content being closer to MH4 than MHTri

You guys are off the mark here

Ridley327

4th gen had 71 at the outset. Base MH4 was huge and they have already said this is the largest game they have ever made

I dont get the pessimism here. All the evidence so far and precedent from 4th gen point the other direction as far as content volume
4th gen had a lot, and I mean a lot, of returning monsters to bolster the roster. If I'm not mistaken, 4th gen overall has added the fewest new monsters thus far of the gens, so a lot of the heavy lifting was done by the returning crew with whatever new moves they got. Considering the quality we've seen of the returning monsters thus far, I have extreme doubts that they were able to do that for another 40 some-odd returning monsters to be able to ship with the game in January.

You can still make "the largest game ever" and have it mean something very different from the initial roster count. The seamless zones, voice acting and cutscenes alone are more than enough to make that true.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Please no Rathian. I'll be happy if I never have to hunt another goddamn Rathian again.
I hunted them so much they're probably extinct by now ;_;

The "story" is going to be complete shit. Please bookmark this post, save me the trouble of telling you "told you so" whenever this comes out:

Told you so!
lol, I believe you. I hope we can keep the VA in Japanese.

I want this game so bad

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Oh right no G Rank....hmmmmm welp they better at least match the Monster Count from Monster Hunter Freedom

# Small Monsters: 13
# Large Monsters: 31
# Total Monsters: 44

I really don't want to run into another Monster Hunter Tri scenario with a paltry amount of content because they were unable to asset flip Monster from previous titles.

JP_

Banned

Maybe lizard kecha armor is bottom row 3rd from right? We also finally saw monster for armor top 3rd from left.

edit: bottom 2nd from left looks like the new white armor we saw in this trailer (which I assume is from the new insect dragon thing) -- maybe they come in pairs and there's white and blue versions.

Raide

Please no Rathian. I'll be happy if I never have to hunt another goddamn Rathian again.

lol, I believe you. I hope we can keep the VA in Japanese.

I want this game so bad

If we have Rathalos, we have Rathian. It's the KFC Bargain bucket of MH.

One thing I would love to see is having juvenile versions of each monster. We see the mini Jagras ones, so it would be cool to see a family of Jho's roaming the fields.

Ridley327

Oh right no G Rank....hmmmmm welp they better at least match the Monster Count from Monster Hunter Freedom

# Small Monsters: 13
# Large Monsters: 31
# Total Monsters: 44

I really don't want to run into another Monster Hunter Tri scenario with a paltry amount of content because they were unable to asset flip Monster from previous titles.

I've maintained that a ~40 monster count would be perfect for the initial release: plenty of content to get through for players of all walks of life, but not too initially overwhelming for those who want a more solid goal to work to.

Syril

Rathians can never be hunted to extinction. For every one that's killed, another one gets away to breed with a Kut-Ku.

Raide

I might have to give this a try. I've never really played a Monster Hunter game, but this looks quite enticing.

Well, it is a perfect time to jump in. Classic MH feel but with plenty of QoL improvements to help new players adjust to the curve. MH GAF will be hunting!

Pejo

Looks phenomenal. I don't know if it's just the story CG or what, but it looks like they bumped up the saturation of the colors a bit too, which was my only complaint previously.

Can't wait!

Xion_Stellar

Rathalos and Rathian are the goddamned mascots of the series. They're as safe as Ryu and Ken.
That's fine and all but I hope we also get new variants for them because Pink Rathian, Gold Rathian, Azure Rathalos and Silver Rathalos are often way too safe picks for the rooster.

Accessibility is not difficulty.

It can be.

I hear ya

And difficulty has been a constant debate for the series for awhile now.

With each generation the game gets better and some things get easier or harder

So i have no idea where the sliding scale ends up on MHW but i have to imagine the hardest challenges will be at the endgame as usual

though at least there are a ton of new monsters so at the very least youll have to learn a few new tricks along the way

I'm happy they aren't taking styles. Fuck styles.

But yeah it should be pretty tough near the end. Gen was so easy. I solo'd the online component and I am hardly great at this series comparatively. I couldn't get close to that in MH4U.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It can be.

What people are talking about is more the fact that there have been a ton of quality of life improvements for nearly every facet of the game, some that have been long over do and some that are just common sense. They have really stream lined a lot of elements and I mean that in the best way possible and things like a hopefully better story mode should help ease new players into the swing of things, pun intended.

It can be.

I'm happy they aren't taking styles. Fuck styles.

But yeah it should be pretty tough near the end. Gen was so easy. I solo'd the online component and I am hardly great at this series comparatively. I couldn't get close to that in MH4U.
The person talking about accessibility wasn't though. They were talking more about the game being less obtuse overall.

A game being bad at explaining mechanics and being grindy doesn't mean the games hard, it's just inaccessible. Monster Hunter has been improving on stuff like that with every entry. The gameplay is always going to be solid.

Pila

Gen doesn't have G rank (unless you're talking about the JPN only XX?) while 4U has a meaty G rank. That's the hard part to solo.

Xion_Stellar

I doubt very much that we'll see the game ship with any subspecies.
We will see when the game comes out because Capcom not asset flipping is like saying the sun doesn't exist it would be much too easy to color a Rathian Pink and a Rathalos Blue in order to create "more" content and did you forget Jyuratodus? That's clearly a Lavasioth subspecie.

This is going to be my first MH, and each time I see something new I need it more and more. Unfortunately it comes out too soon after Ni No Kuni 2 so it will probably sit on my shelf for a bit, but I am pumped for it!

Ridley327

We will see when the game comes out because Capcom not asset flipping is like saying the sun doesn't exist it would be much too easy to color a Rathian Pink and a Rathalos Blue in order to create "more" content and did you forget Jyuratodus? That's clearly a Lavasioth subspecie.

Only in appearance, really. What little we've seen of it in action doesn't really move like any of the Plesioth derivatives.

What people are talking about is more the fact that there have been a ton of quality of life improvements for nearly every facet of the game, some that have been long over do and some that are just common sense. They have really stream lined a lot of elements and I mean that in the best way possible and things like a hopefully better story mode should help ease new players into the swing of things, pun intended.

I mean I said as much. But what I was talking to him about I clarified as "okay but lets talk about it from someone who played the last 4 releases". It's kind of assumed that I meant as someone already in the series.

Gen doesn't have G rank (unless you're talking about the JPN only XX?) while 4U has a meaty G rank. That's the hard part to solo.

I agree to an extent. But high rank 4U is still way more difficult than high rank Gen. G rank 4U was difficult though I agree.

Them adding in a story the way they are this time around is a good idea. Doing something a little more substantial with AAA quality to back it up will really help new and casual players get through the single player. Text boxes about helping the towns folk for 4 ranks doesn't really help people get through it all or even care to get through it. A guided narrative type story is definitely the way to go.

Fistwell

Tri's plodding hours of gathering mushrooms and cooking meat are okay but a story with effort put into it is offensive. Yeah, sure.

Oh please. I'm curious what you'd expect a 'good' story for an MH game to be.

It'll be the same old 'monster threatens, beat it up, oh shit there's an even bigger monster'. And that's fine, MH should stay simple and lighthearted.
We're saying the same thing. MH is about "go beat that monster up." It's never done anything interesting in terms of story-telling that I'm aware of. A 'good' MH story (to me) is one that does not get in the way of what the game is about. Hunting monsters.

Top Bottom