• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS announced, launching March 18, 2017 in Japan

R0ckman

I think the rumor is BS, but Capcom seems like they are looking at ways to expand on the series reach to a wider audience, I'd say it may evolve into more dragon's dogma like combat if they go that route though. They were looking at things like showing enemy health and stamina from the surveys I've taken as well as expanding on felynes which they obviously have done now making them fully playable.

The average westerner is going to think the "powered up" animation after eating or drinking is stupid. And to an extent I can see where they are coming from. Its almost laughingly rudiculous. I just kind of had a wake up call to it when a monster was literally on the complete opposite end on the map and in the time it took me to finish a complete potion drinking animation the monster was able to change its targetting to me and run across the map to attack me before finishing my animation.

There's a lot of stuff in the game that could be considered rough but just evolved with the series overtime.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So there's a 4chan rumour from a guy who called XX a few hours before the reveal.

He states MH5 is being developed for PS4
Sony have paid to not have it on the Switch
Will take on open world gameplay and make it more incline to Western appeal, getting rid of the timer and missions.
The MHPortable series will continue on the Switch, and sticks to the current formula

Sounds like a heaping pile of the old bullshit to me, but take it as you'd like. It's 4chan after all.

lol

L Thammy

The average westerner is going to think the "powered up" animation after eating or drinking is stupid.

There's a lot of stuff in the game that could be considered rough but just evolved with the series overtime.

Maybe I'm naive, but somehow I don't think that the "monster punishes you if you try to drink a healing potion while standing in front of it" thing was just something that Capcom did by accident.

The true Double Cross right here.

THE TRUE MONSTER HUNTER STARTS HERE

javadoze

So there's a 4chan rumour from a guy who called XX a few hours before the reveal.

Will take on open world gameplay and make it more incline to Western appeal, getting rid of the timer and missions.
The MHPortable series will continue on the Switch, and sticks to the current formula

Sounds like a heaping pile of the old bullshit to me, but take it as you'd like. It's 4chan after all.

Yep. Super doubtful with this detail.

The devs in interviews are very insistent on keeping series elements like the timer, missions, and segmented areas.

This would've been my cue not give it any spotlight

Akiller

I Wonder what is his Gaf name.

Ridley327

The devs in interviews are very insistent on keeping series elements like the timer, missions, and segmented areas.

On top of that, Toukiden 2's dazzling failure is sure to make every other hunting action franchise think twice about supporting console gamers first.

Yeah, not sure what the point of doing that would be when you could simply apply that gameplay to more Dragon's Dogma. Although this is the same company that turned the RE franchise into action games :/

The part of the rumor about Sony paying for MH but Capcom still making MHP for Nintendo doesn't make a lick of sense either. How would that help Sony and hurt Nintendo exactly?

KingBroly

Banned

This is like a repeat of MH4 being announced for 3DS. That was bullshit too.

R0ckman

Yeah, not sure what the point of doing that would be when you could simply apply that gameplay to more Dragon's Dogma. Although this is the same company that turned the RE franchise into action games :/

The part of the rumor about Sony paying for MH but Capcom still making MHP for Nintendo doesn't make a lick of sense either. How would that help Sony and hurt Nintendo exactly?

They originally considered Monster Hunter an action game though.

R0ckman

Maybe I'm naive, but somehow I don't think that the "monster punishes you if you try to drink a healing potion while standing in front of it" thing was just something that Capcom did by accident.

THE TRUE MONSTER HUNTER STARTS HERE

I don't consider being on the complete opposite end of the map in front of it. Not only that but I'd argue that unless the monster is paintballed its worse to run off the map to heal then run back in. I cant see what its doing and a lot of times it SEEMS like the Monster just randomly spams the entrance while you come back in.

le.phat

It's been this way for a while now. Why it's wearing you down now I'm not sure.

Overstimulation i guess. I go deep into these games. These fast releases really underline the grindy nature of these games. Especially since i "get" all the established monster types, and the fact that this is again on the 3DS instantly makes the game feel overly familiar and really tempers my expectations in terms of being blown away.

I'm just ready for a true evolution of the game at this point.

Maxinas

So in other words. Sony paid for no real monster hunter game, but a half-assed attempt of one?

tumblr_inline_o30k6grKnG1rfnlv2_500.jpg

Overstimulation i guess. I go deep into these games. These fast releases really underline the grindy nature of these games. Especially since i "get" all the established monster types, and the fact that this is again on the 3DS instantly makes the game feel overly familiar and really tempers my expectations in terms of being blown away.

I'm just ready for a true evolution of the game at this point.

I definitely feel as though with Generations, and now this, they're stretching the current framework as far as it can go. I love MH, but I'm not sure that I'd be able to stay interested in a similar game post-XX. Generations feels like everything the series has been working towards over the past 10 years smashed into one glorious package.

Another numbered title needs to shake up the formula, in my opinion. Definitely agree, as I'm starting to feel burnt out.

xviper

i'll never play a MH on the 3ds again after MHG, so addictive that i can't stop playing and because of that i got a headache for 2 days

they MUST release MH on consoles because this series deserves much more love

TI82

Banned
I hope that rumor is true because I would play the shit out of that. Maybe it's what happened to Deep Down?

Edit: Even seems similar to Dragons Dogma which was fantastic

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

It is a heaping pile of bullshit. Main reason why is since Capcom already decided to go and put Frontier on the PS4 also, they are not going to fuck that up by throwing a wrench into the userbase by releasing an new main line game on the system.

Its why we dont have a Dragons Dogma 2. Because the dumbshits went and made Dragons Dogma Online instead...

Kyoufu

It is a heaping pile of bullshit. Main reason why is since Capcom already decided to go and put Frontier on the PS4 also, they are not going to fuck that up by throwing a wrench into the userbase by releasing an new main line game on the system.

Its why we dont have a Dragons Dogma 2. Because the dumbshits went and made Dragons Dogma Online instead...

lol, Frontier Z has no bearing on what does or doesn't come to PS4 from the MH franchise.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they're doing with MH5. Hopefully any additions they make are fun unlike underwater combat in 3 and monster riding in 4.

Nibel

This makes sense for several reasons:
- Monster Hunter on consoles always have been bigger than on handhelds
- Street Fighter V is proof that being exclusive to the PS4 actually pays off for Capcom
- The MonHun franchise is strong in Japan but stronger in the west which makes the shift to homeconsoles plausible
- The huge userbase they've built on the 3DS which is attached to the mainline series and jumping towards the Switch in the future would probably understand why they would have to play the Portable series and not object because in general the Japanese are very polite

Kinda excited for this!

georly

- Street Fighter V is proof that being exclusive to the PS4 actually pays off for Capcom
- The MonHun franchise is strong in Japan but stronger in the west which makes the shift to homeconsoles plausible
- The huge userbase they've built on the 3DS which is attached to the mainline series and jumping towards the Switch in the future would probably understand why they would have to play the Portable series and not object because in general the Japanese are very polite

Kinda excited for this!

Best post on gaf today, deserves more recognition

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Kinda excited for this!
Lol well written nibel

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Kinda excited for this!

hnb.gif

Kinda excited for this!

Had the rumor simply been that Capcom wanted to diversify the franchise a bit with a more action oriented game on PS4 then it would have made perfect sense, especially in light of MHS just coming out, but a rumor that involves Sony paying Capcom for exclusivity of a game that would be Monster Hunter in name only while Nintendo keeps the traditional game makes this rumor fanfiction.

What do you expect to happen? They wipped up an eShop app to do a similar thing with MH3U on 3DS/WiiU.

Dammit. I meant CANT transfer.

I mean, if we CANT transfer our save data to the Switch version, I'm going to be really pissed. I don't have time our energy to go through all the quests and awards again, I just want to focus on the new content.

Called what exactly? The dumb XX name? It being a MHX expansion?

Kinda excited for this!
😂

Aswitch

Not sure if this is new but i saw that you can cancel into hunter arts now? in the trailer it showed the guy doing what looks to be an evade hunter art->dash cancel->and then go into a great sword hunter art I don't remember being able to do that in generations at least. Either that or i was wasn't playing good enough. But good god this game is just screaming to be on the nintendo switch. I think games like this and pokemon that are a HUGE timesucks really benefit from the switch's functionality of being able to go portable as well as being a home console. Also going by the cartridge slot on the switch, it could possibly be backwards compatible with the 3ds? Definitely would be a guaranteed day one buy for me if this is a launch title.

Kinda excited for this!

You don't believe this.

This is too fuckin good

Top Bottom