• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS announced, launching March 18, 2017 in Japan

Nibel

The only reason I don't want to post a thread about the rumor is that I don't know how long before the MH direct it appeared.

1477622794517.jpg

It's not my screen capture, so it's not my time zone, which is fairly close to Japan.

I just like the bit where it says huge internal strife at Capcom.

If that guy really guessed the name right, then that rumor probably has some merit.

EDIT: someone should make a thread if this is all true, it would be a pretty big rumor that has evidence behind it.

After having read the actual post and not having found any inconsistencies, I agree that there should be a thread for this

I also don't know how to make them, so it would be nice if someone else could do that

ohlawd

"Changing the combat in MH5 for the Western audience."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

true that

what a bunch of shit. willingly dumbing down the combat (because that's what it sounds like to me) for the west? naw fam

it's Capcom tho. they might just go ahead and pull this shit with MH5

I really hope that 4Chan leak is horse shit

but who knows

Ive been clamoring for MH to spread to everything anyways so MH PS4 is pretty exciting

I want to see it on damn near everything

Kyoufu

Well Capcom stated they won't have any software for Switch at launch at today's investor meeting it seems. However they can always have a staggered release I guess..

Like I said before, they're better off working on their next big release while Switch's install base increases.

This is why big IPs are rarely launch titles and in this case, a transitional period for Monster Hunter which is going from 240p to 720p+ with a significant boost in graphical fidelity you really can't expect them to put resources into remasters that have very limited selling power. It just doesn't make sense.

Like I said before, they're better off working on their next big release while Switch's install base increases.

This is why big IPs are rarely launch titles.

Yeah buts its an annual franchise

I dont see any reason why they wouldnt push a cross gen port of MHXX on the thing

Kyoufu

Yeah buts its an annual franchise

I dont see any reason why they wouldnt push a cross gen port of MHXX on the thing

And your annual MH release for 2017 is MHXX. :)

I wouldn't rule out a port or something to serve as a starting point maybe later in the year but I think they're better off serving 3DS in 2017 with MHXX and then MH5 for PS4/Switch in 2018.

They should collab with Guerilla Games on a full-blown "Monster Hunter" game. GG can handle the tech, and as a tie-in with "Horizon," feature a robo-dino or two. Do it, Sony!

They should collab with Guerilla Games on a full-blown "Monster Hunter" game. GG can handle the tech, and as a tie-in with "Horizon," feature a robo-dino or two. Do it, Sony!

Capcom has the people, the resources and the skill to make a different kind of Monster Hunter game to compete in the high end HD, open world space

Dragons Dogma is damn close to what a new age MH game could look like.. kind of?

And of course you have the iteration on all the MMOs including the New Frontier and MHO

They have this weird diversity in their development strategies that hasnt quite bled into the Core series

Maybe that 4Chan rumor is real and maybe it isnt but if it was real I would only see it as a net positive to the growth of the series as a whole

Ridley327

So let me get this straight: Sony is desperate for more Japanese sales, and yet they paid Capcom to make a hunting action game that specifically caters to the west.

Who else read that out loud and not laugh uncontrollably?

true that

what a bunch of shit. willingly dumbing down the combat (because that's what it sounds like to me) for the west? naw fam

it's Capcom tho. they might just go ahead and pull this shit with MH5

Didn't they already dumb everything down in MH4U, then even more in MHG? Dumbing it down for that 3DS base.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well Capcom stated they won't have any software for Switch at launch at today's investor meeting it seems. However they can always have a staggered release I guess..

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link for this?

Since that one is actually news, I'd like to break off a thread.

Zoon

So let me get this straight: Sony is desperate for more Japanese sales, and yet they paid Capcom to make a hunting action game that specifically caters to the west.

Who else read that out loud and not laugh uncontrollably?
The rumor doesn't make sense. Didn't capcom say that the 3ds games sold surprisingly well in the west?

They did say that?

Oh damn

No Switch version confirmed then i suppose.... Dreamstompers scored on this one

Sounds like that person called the name of it, not the existence of the title, which was obvious to begin with. Either way, I don't see why a PS4 MH game is out of the question. Crazier things have happened. If the DQXI reveal has taught me anything, it's that NIntendo fans shouldn't be so keen to make assumptions based on historical 3DS releases and sales. Fun times ahead.

I'm speaking on this rumor specifically, not that Monster Hunter won't ever arrive on new platforms.

The rumor claims Monster Hunter 5 is being paid for by Sony to help their chances in Japan....but it's being designed with the west in mind.

This doesn't make sense.

One thing is for sure though....when speaking of Japan, Sony needs Monster Hunter a lot more than Nintendo...so I really could see them going in hard at the negotiating table.

Ridley327

Didn't they already dumb everything down in MH4U, then even more in MHG? Dumbing it down for that 3DS base.

Hardly. MH4U arguably made shit way more complicated than it needed to be in the endgame with how apex monster hunting works, and MHG tried to fix that somewhat with how deviant monsters work. The combat is deeper than ever, though MHG made some setups more viable and noob-friendly than others.

Depth is not an issue at all, believe me.

So according to the rumor, would portable for Switch be an entirely separate game or a chunked version version of MH5 with the traditional structure?

Switch not getting a version with the new mechanics would be a tragedy.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link for this?

Since that one is actually news, I'd like to break off a thread.

We already went over this in this thread and I posted about it in the Media Create thread. Quoting myself from there

I asked crinale for the source of that claim, and it's this tweet from WSJ's Mochizuki

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791882098185424896

He also translated what's in that tweet, so we don't have to rely on sketchy Google Translation's stuff

Their fiscal year budget plan (ends March 2017 I assume) does not have Switch softwware at this moment. They also said they are willing to put effort towards that platform.

Given the wording, it really looks like something that, assuming something gets announced on January 12th and comes out by March 2017, can be edited for the next Capcom's Financial Release and Investor Meeting, coming weeks after the Switch's presentation.

So, not as definitive as it could sound from crinale's previous message, I would say it's not even a news deserving its own thread, since it's just "not including Switch games in our FY forecasts for now", which means that can change once stuff is announced, and not a "We won't have titles for Switch's launch" kind of statement. Also, I believe people should read this and NOT the original message, in order to avoid confusion / drama of any kind.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That MH5 news seems thread worthy - didnt expect Sony to have the money to secure MH5 exclusively. Weird that Nintendo would let that happen...then again who knows what Capcoms goals are with the IP.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Are you guys seriously thinking that MH5 "leak" is real? That is one of the most fake things I've seen out of something, MH isn't going back to Sony, making it open world and removing the timers wouldn't even be MH, it'd just be a different IP all-together.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We already went over this in this thread and I posted about it in the Media Create thread. Quoting myself from there

So, not as definitive as it could sound from crinale's previous message, I would say it's not even a news deserving its own thread, since it's just "not including Switch games in our FY forecasts for now", which means that can change once stuff is announced, and not a "We won't have titles for Switch's launch" kind of statement. Also, I believe people should read this and NOT the original message, in order to avoid confusion / drama of any kind.

Oh, I'm not even going to bother for that. It's normal for a company to exclude revenue from a platform they're not 100% guaranteed will be out in the fiscal year (nor guaranteed how much it will even sell). Thanks.

Kyoufu

Are you guys seriously thinking that MH5 "leak" is real? That is one of the most fake things I've seen out of something, MH isn't going back to Sony, making it open world and removing the timers wouldn't even be MH, it'd just be a different IP all-together.

I don't think anyone here believes the latter portions of that rumour.

tuffy

That MH5 news seems thread worthy - didnt expect Sony to have the money to secure MH5 exclusively. Weird that Nintendo would let that happen...then again who knows what Capcoms goals are with the IP.
Except it's not really "news" - it's just some unconfirmed rumor that doesn't make much sense for a number of reasons that have already been mentioned.

d+pad

I find it bizarre that so many people are assuming the 4chan "leak" to be real based on such flimsy evidence. Granted, Sony fans have jumped on *every* "MH is coming to PSP/Vita/PS3/PS4" rumor that has appeared in the last number of years, so I guess it should've been expected :|

Ridley327

I find it bizarre that so many people are assuming the 4chan "leak" to be real based on such flimsy evidence. Granted, Sony fans have jumped on *every* "MH is coming to PSP/Vita/PS3/PS4" rumor that has appeared in the last number of years, so I guess it should've been expected :|

If only the series got this much support from western Sony fans back when it was on Sony hardware!

Man, I really want this to come to the US. I was considering getting Monster Hunter Generations during the Target sale coming up this next week or during Black Friday, but I think I will wait to see if this superior version will be released here.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Except it's not really "news" - it's just some unconfirmed rumor that doesn't make much sense for a number of reasons that have already been mentioned.

I know its just a rumor - but i would rather have a dedicated thread than this MH XX thread being all about a potential MH5 for PS4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I know its just a rumor - but i would rather have a dedicated thread than this MH XX thread being all about a potential MH5 for PS4.

This is a good point.

If people want to keep discussing the rumor, break it off to a different thread so this can be about XxX_MonsterHunter_XxX.

If people don't find it worthwhile, we should just move on.

d+pad

If only the series got this much support from western Sony fans back when it was on Sony hardware!

Exactly :| At any rate, let's be honest here: for a lot of western gamers, Monster Hunter is just a game they want on "their system" because it means their system will sell boatloads in Japan. And this goes for Nintendo and MS fans as well as Sony ones. So I understand the interest/drama. Still, these "rumors"--which hardly ever pan out--get tiresome over time...

This makes sense for several reasons:
- Monster Hunter on consoles always have been bigger than on handhelds
- Street Fighter V is proof that being exclusive to the PS4 actually pays off for Capcom
- The MonHun franchise is strong in Japan but stronger in the west which makes the shift to homeconsoles plausible
- The huge userbase they've built on the 3DS which is attached to the mainline series and jumping towards the Switch in the future would probably understand why they would have to play the Portable series and not object because in general the Japanese are very polite

Kinda excited for this!
I love this post.

Syril

Speaking of MHS... If you care about MH you should watch the anime.

I just watched episode 3 and HOLY SHIT.
dNAsFpr.png
Is the anime a different story than the game? Sometimes these tie-in series use the same story that the game does, and I don't want to already know what happens in the game before it even comes out here.

Is the anime a different story than the game? Sometimes these tie-in series use the same story that the game does, and I don't want to already know what happens in the game before it even comes out here.
I got my copy in the mail some days ago but I haven't had the time to play it yet.

But yeah, I believe both anime and game share the same story. Don't know for sure though.

Maxinas

- Street Fighter V is proof that being exclusive to the PS4 actually pays off for Capcom
- The MonHun franchise is strong in Japan but stronger in the west which makes the shift to homeconsoles plausible
- The huge userbase they've built on the 3DS which is attached to the mainline series and jumping towards the Switch in the future would probably understand why they would have to play the Portable series and not object because in general the Japanese are very polite

Kinda excited for this!

Great post.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Kinda excited for this!

A+++

Eolz

Back on XX though. If there's no Switch port in the launch window, when would you see one happen realistically without bothering the fanbase? Fall 2017?
I don't really see Capcom making the series jump to this platform directly with 5...

Top Bottom