• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They have. With the release of XX the only notable third gen omissions are Qurupeco and Gobul.

That's a slight on my friend Wroggi.

Also Baggi!

Wroggi and Quadrepco are basically my favorite monsters in gen 3. Instead the games post 3U are filled with the shitty dromes that no one likes.

Kinsei

Banned
That's a slight on my friend Wroggi.

Also Baggi!

Wroggi and Quadrepco are basically my favorite monsters in gen 3. Instead the games post 3U are filled with the shitty dromes that no one likes.

I kinda prefer the raptor dromes because they sell the pack hunter thing way more than the Great ---gii's. Cephadrome and Bulldrome should disappear from the entire series though. I don't think anyone likes those two.

Camjo-Z

Can't wait to play Monster Hunter on an actual controller again.

and on my big screen!

This is the biggest selling point for me TBH. MH4U is great but my hands start feeling a little cramped after long sessions. Playing MH with the Switch pro controller is going to be amazing.

Khezu and Gravios are the worst monsters in the history of history. Just the most unfun fights ever. Please remove and never ever return to. Gigginox though, one of the best fights in gen 3.

Camjo-Z

Awesome electric beast > weird poison thing that thinks laying eggs in the middle of a fight is a good battle tactic

SeppOCE

How accessible are the Monster Hunter games in Japanese? Because if we have to wait a long time for the English translation I'll just import this.

Uhhh....
I know it's nitpicking, but why is "Nintendo Switch Ver." Part of the logo? Is ugly and consumers will understand it's the switch version when they are holding the Nintendo Switch case.

HeeHo

Awesome electric beast > weird poison thing that thinks laying eggs in the middle of a fight is a good battle tactic

It can get pretty zany fighting two or more. Khezu also gives plenty of opportunities to adept dodge which makes it kind of fun and easy to beat up.

PokéKong

All the giant chicken body shape monsters feel like the awkward middle stage evolution between fighting 'dromes and getting to fight an actual big cool monster, having to fight a Khezu as much as you do in 4U and Gen felt like it never pays off because you never leveled up to face the equivalent big bro.

Dipship31

I think I'll wait for the first full fledged sequel on Switch. It's awesome that's it now in higher res with better control options, but I played so much of MH4U that I started to feel burned out on Generations. Feels like I'd be pumped to have this, would play for a bit, and realize it's essentially the same game I've already pumped 150+ hours into.

PKrockin

I'm sorry, but all of the first generation monsters are just garbage. Every concept from rock monsters to burrowing monsters to flying monsters were shoved on the same body type along with all the same moves every other monster has. There's no variety and the designs generally look terrible. 3rd gen did all of them better. I would be fine if all the first generation monsters disappear forever. The only decent ones are the Raths and Diablos after their 3rd gen redesigns.

It's truly amazing how much better this series got over time. From map design to weapons to music, even similar concepts like tornado spam were executed so much better done by Sand Barioth than Kushala. The only thing I can think of that I like most from pre-3rd gen is Pokke Village.

Kyoufu

Is the Generations community still active on 3DS? How's the community in general? Friendly or elitist?

To answer my own question, let's just say I prefer playing with JP players for the most part.

The players I've encountered need to go watch gaijinhunter's online etiquette video.

Kureransu

Uhhh....
I know it's nitpicking, but why is "Nintendo Switch Ver." Part of the logo? Is ugly and consumers will understand it's the switch version when they are holding the Nintendo Switch case.

It probably won't be labeled as that in the states, especially since it didn't come out over here on 3DS.

It may be to avoid confusion to the ignorant since the carts are similar in size. I don't think they needed to be so literal with the title, but you can blame nintendo with the Smash for... games lol

Syril

Uhhh....
Probably because it was released later than the 3DS one to call attention to the fact that it's a new release. 3U on the Wii U over there was similarly labeled "HD ver." to differentiate, but there wasn't a need for that over here because both versions came out simultaneously.

Uhhh....

lol, reminds me of Tekken Tag Tournament 2's WiiU Edition branding. So tacky.

Haunted

livestreammhxx90jzd.jpg
Well, let's not kid ourselves.

If I had told people these screens were from 3 Ultimate on WiiU (a 2012 HD port of a 2009 game), no one would've bat an eye.

I know we're all bigtime MonHun whores here, but it makes me sad that Capcom will most likely get away with this again.

edit: actually, people would've noticed it isn't, because the HUD in these is much blurrier and low res compared to back then. I'd laugh if it wasn't so depressing.

MattAces

If I had told people these screens were from 3 Ultimate on WiiU (a 2012 HD port of a 2009 game), no one would've bat an eye.

I know we're all bigtime MonHun whores here, but it makes me sad that Capcom will most likely get away with this again.

edit: actually, people would've noticed it isn't, because the HUD in these is much blurrier and low res compared to back then. I'd laugh if it wasn't so depressing.

Still buying it because that is how desperate I am for an actual Monster Hunter on TV in the recent years. I really wish they would just spend the effort to make a next gen MH. Even the freaking MH Online is a hundred time better looking, the one with Cry Engine.

20151203052733a0e9od5cksezm3vr.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

M2.jpg

20151216050040a0ea2o9kvf7le6bm.jpg

aed0dc5bd8e808c670c282d75ab8fd63651.jpg

Shengar

I'm sorry, but all of the first generation monsters are just garbage. Every concept from rock monsters to burrowing monsters to flying monsters were shoved on the same body type along with all the same moves every other monster has. There's no variety and the designs generally look terrible. 3rd gen did all of them better. I would be fine if all the first generation monsters disappear forever. The only decent ones are the Raths and Diablos after their 3rd gen redesigns.

It's truly amazing how much better this series got over time. From map design to weapons to music, even similar concepts like tornado spam were executed so much better done by Sand Barioth than Kushala. The only thing I can think of that I like most from pre-3rd gen is Pokke Village.

+1
Though they should keep Garuga as it is as reminder how horrible the monsters were in the past.

spiritfox

Maybe you guys should wait for a game actually designed for the system instead of a quick port of a 3DS game before talking about graphics.

Mengetsu

Still buying it because that is how desperate I am for an actual Monster Hunter on TV in the recent years. I really wish they would just spend the effort to make a next gen MH. Even the freaking MH Online is a hundred time better looking, the one with Cry Engine.

20151203052733a0e9od5cksezm3vr.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

M2.jpg

Wow looks amazing...

Rncewind

Maybe you guys should wait for a game actually designed for the system instead of a quick port of a 3DS game before talking about graphics.

why, is this gonna make the graphics better for this game retroactivly, that this thread is about, and capcom wants me to buy?

I dont get this post

MattAces

Why? They are releasing a game for Switch, I don't see the problem of discussing the graphics. Nobody said anything about the graphic is bad because of how underpowered Switch is, people are just discussing the "quick port" graphic looks underwhelming.

Pachimari

I'm gonna buy this and give it another chance. Never really got much into Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate to begin with. Am I right in saying this is all about levelling up your weapons, to take out these monsters, and that you can team up with 3 other people online?

Does XX play exactly like the mainline games, or did they pay more attention to the action in this one? What is different compared to the numbered titles?

MouldyK

Can someone make some comparison shots from 3U as didn't that have this area? It might help lol.

Ridley327

I'm gonna buy this and give it another chance. Never really got much into Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate to begin with. Am I right in saying this is all about levelling up your weapons, to take out these monsters, and that you can team up with 3 other people online?

Does XX play exactly like the mainline games, or did they pay more attention to the action in this one? What is different compared to the numbered titles?

The big thing they added were styles for your player. You can pick one of now six styles that augment your combat capabilities, which range from bigger attacks to more dodge-friendly mechanics and even now with a kind of on-field alchemy to use items against monsters. It's added on top of the normal style of play for the series, rather than completely reinventing the wheel. Think along the terms of Devil May Cry 3's Style system: each one still plays rather similarly to one another, but they get a different bag of tools for the flourishes.

Other than that, it's got more QOL improvements, including a much-needed overhaul to understanding how weapon damage and upgrade paths are shown to the player, plus the usual new monsters and subspecies to bring the roster to an almost ludicrous amount of content to enjoy.

spiritfox

why, is this gonna make the graphics better for this game retroactivly, that this thread is about, and capcom wants me to buy?

I dont get this post

Why? They are releasing a game for Switch, I don't see the problem of discussing the graphics. Nobody said anything about the graphic is bad because of how underpowered Switch is, people are just discussing the "quick port" graphic looks underwhelming.

I was referring to the post with screens from MHO. Of course a port of a handheld game is not going to have graphics that good. I feel like expectations were a little too high for this port.

Rncewind

I was referring to the post with screens from MHO. Of course a port of a handheld game is not going to have graphics that good. I feel like expectations were a little too high for this port.

so i guess capcom wants only the price of a old handheld game for this then?

*looks at japan pre orders* seems not to be case =/ so yeah

Gorgeous screens. Isn't it rumored that we'll see MH5 on PS4/Switch? That would be incredible...

spiritfox

That's the point, still doesn't justify the fact that we shouldn't talk about the graphics right?

Well it was bad phrasing on my part. My bad.

I still don't think you should compare a handheld port to a PC exclusive game, even if it's for a more powerful system now. They could have done some filtering to make it less PS2-era though.

MattAces

Well it was bad phrasing on my part. My bad.

I still don't think you should compare a handheld port to a PC exclusive game, even if it's for a more powerful system now. They could have done some filtering to make it less PS2-era though.

Hmm, maybe I just have a higher expectation if the game was handled by the main studio since MHO was not by the main team.

Top Bottom