• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

yami4ct

After the MH World announcement and the massive feelings of disappointment over it, the prospect of suddenly going potentially 3-4 years without a mainline MH game+localization closes in on you pretty fast.

If they don't bring over XX, and if (when) World fails here they could easily just stop localizing them for the west all together.

How welcoming is monster hunter to a newbie. Considering jumping into the series with this entry I've heard there's a considerable time investment needed to get remotely good.

I went and looked up Japan announcements vs Western localization announcements for the past couple games.

MH4 was announced Oct 2014 for Japan and not till January 2015 for the West.
MH Generations was announced in May 2015 and then not till March 2016 for the West. Sure this is an expansion, but there's still localization to do and it hasn't even been a month guys. Calm down.

The game could become less appealing for their western audience after the next big thing is already released.

Maybe? But it's not like the two games are competing on the same platform. I imagine there's more than enough room for both in their market share.

E3 isn't over yet, guys.
I'm not saying to expect something during Treehouse but still.

Also has a Monster Hunter for a Nintendo system ever been announced on E3?

Monster hunter World looks 100 times better than this...

I'm sorry to tell you, but this thread isn't about Monster Hunter World.

E3 isn't over yet, guys.
I'm not saying to expect something during Treehouse but still.

Also has a Monster Hunter for a Nintendo system ever been announced on E3?

I'm sorry to tell you, but this thread isn't about Monster Hunter World.

I couldn't find when Tri or 3 Ultimate was announced, but both 4 and Generations weren't if the dates I found were right.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe? But it's not like the two games are competing on the same platform. I imagine there's more than enough room for both in their market share.

The MH base on the west is (relative) small, but dedicated. The 3DS localizations were modest suceses. IDK if there's enough room for both if MHW fails to capture a bigger market.

For example, me: I don't currently own a Switch, but will probably get one by the end of the year. If MHXX doesn't get localized before MHW, I will probably just be waiting for a Steam sale of MHW for my MH fix, instead of getting both games, which I would very likely do if it released this year, for example.

And if the PC version of World version is delayed significantly, I won't be paying full price for it. :/

Juraash

I have played more than enough MH to figure out an import version if I had to. I'd just like them to say it's coming before XX drops in Japan.

If they can announce a new 2D Metroid for 3DS off of the Spotlight, they an announce an XX port. Not saying it's a sure thing, but I'm expecting it to happen.

ggx2ac

What I expect:

(Thread title)

Capcom will determine localising Monster Hunter XX for Switch in the west from sales of Monster Hunter Stories for 3DS

Kinsei

Banned
I have played more than enough MH to figure out an import version if I had to. I'd just like them to say it's coming before XX drops in Japan.

Same (I even did it with P3rd). It's going to suck not being able to import my Gen character and being forced to start from the beginning though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How welcoming is monster hunter to a newbie. Considering jumping into the series with this entry I've heard there's a considerable time investment needed to get remotely good.

It's very welcoming, just pretty sluggish in the early hours due to lots of somewhat forced tutorial quests before you you can start doing the hunts proper.

I mean on one hand, the game must teach you to properly craft and gather as they are core to game design, on the other gamers and media critics are so fickle and ADD that it gets a rough reputation due to impatience and misinformation/naivete that has propagated throughout gaming culture. (Though this has been curbed quite a bit by western consumers lately)

It is a massive game, one that could easily last hundreds of hours over a very long-term by design. It's also one of the most satisfying and thrilling co-op experiences available.

Fiendcode

The MH base on the west is (relative) small, but dedicated. The 3DS localizations were modest suceses. IDK if there's enough room for both if MHW fails to capture a bigger market.
Modest successes is putting it mildly. MH4U did 1.5m and Generations did 900k in the west.

ggx2ac

So Switch players don't even get MHXX?

Urrghhh fuck off Capcom!😠

I listed it as a scenario: number 4 in this post.

I had a feeling it would happen because I couldn't see Capcom USA or Capcom wanting to bother localising Monster Hunter XX when they are focusing on Monster Hunter World but fucking over the fan base Nintendo built for Capcom in the west?

Capcom: Not my problem.

Yeah don't get your hopes up. As far as I know Capcom have no plans to localise it so we have to pray that Nintendo steps in and helps bring it across.

As I feared.

I have a feeling that after Stories, Monster Hunter won't be seeing life on a Nintendo platform in the west for a long time .

tuffy

As I understand it, Nintendo was doing a lot to help promote Monster Hunter in the West. So Nintendo deciding not to spend time promoting XX in their E3 presentation makes sense in light of current events - even if, by some miracle, it does come over at some point.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I listed it as a scenario: number 4 in this post.

I had a feeling it would happen because I couldn't see Capcom USA or Capcom wanting to bother localising Monster Hunter XX when they are focusing on Monster Hunter World but fucking over the fan base Nintendo built for Capcom in the west?

Capcom: Not my problem.

This will backfire, so is their problem.

boiled goose

good with gravy
As I understand it, Nintendo was doing a lot to help promote Monster Hunter in the West. So Nintendo deciding not to spend time promoting XX in their E3 presentation makes sense in light of current events - even if, by some miracle, it does come over at some point.

Maybe mhw is a betrayalton after all. :p

That's kind of what I was thinking. Why promote the brand anymore if the next new entry is skipping your system?

If we don't hear about localization soon after release, I'll just download it from the JP eshop. Price isn't too bad. I'm sure Gaijin Hunter will be doing his usual guides.

Meesh

If XX doesn't get localized I can't remember worse news/speculation during an E3, ever. I'm holding out hope....

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
And when MHW fails to sell better than 4U... :/

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Way too early to say that and probably unlikely. There has to be a reason World isn't simply being called MH5 right?

Because Capcom doesn't know what its doing. Kill the brand on the Switch, "Want MH? Go get a Ps4", then release the next game on the Switch? I see them doing that, but It will cost them sales.

Kinsei

Banned
Way too early to say that and probably unlikely. There has to be a reason World isn't simply being called MH5 right?

Hopefully, the two series 4chan rumor pans out. Pretty much the best timeline.

The two series thing is pretty much confirmed. The thing is will we get the portable games? The lack of a XX announcement doesn't bode well for that.

ggx2ac

The two series thing is pretty much confirmed. The thing is will we get the portable games? The lack of a XX announcement doesn't bode well for that.

You know how Dragon's Dogma Online is only a thing in Japan because Capcom catered it to the Japanese audience?

Same will happen for Monster Hunter games on Switch, which means we'll not get them in the west because Monster Hunter World is what they'll prioritise to bring in sales from the west.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Will Nintendo help to bring them over? I don't see Nity being as enthusiast with the brand as before.

Same will happen for Monster Hunter games on Switch, which means we'll not get them in the west because Monster Hunter World is what they prioritise to bring in sales from the west.
And I don't really see World selling that much better than 4U either.

EDarkness

There is no guarantee that the "portable" games will get released overseas. So yeah, they may make them for Japan, but they'll ONLY be for Japan. How is that a good scenario? They're going to put a lot of resources into Monster Hunter World apparently since it's releasing everywhere simultaneously. Monster Hunter Portable is only on the NS and unless that install base gets huge, the combination of the Xbox, PC, PS4 install bases will be higher. This was used as a rationale to skip the Wii during the Wii/PS3/360 days. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same here.

It's entirely possible Capcom will keep Switch MH titles in Japan and push World and its sequels in the west.

At the very least, I don't expect XX will ever leave Japan.

You know how Dragon's Dogma Online is only a thing in Japan because Capcom catered it to the Japanese audience?

Same will happen for Monster Hunter games on Switch, which means we'll not get them in the west because Monster Hunter World is what they'll prioritise to bring in sales from the west.

Yep. This is what I expect.

The only way we'll get future Switch MH entries in the west is if World tanks or Nintendo publishes the games.

I really do not want the timeline where Capcom stops giving us traditional Monster Hunter because of some weird idea that only the spin-off is allowed to come to the west.

That's not the Monster Hunter I waited for.

The way Capcom has been going with the Switch I dont see how you would conclude otherwise. The games on the 3DS have been good sellers. Switch is a brand new platform and you already ported the game. Not localizing it while Monster Hunter World gets a simultaneous worldwide date says they dont care abput the Switch.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It makes little sense to me to not release a game that's already largely localized on a platform doing insanely well in the West.

But it is Capcom afterall.

Juraash

Same (I even did it with P3rd). It's going to suck not being able to import my Gen character and being forced to start from the beginning though.

It would, especially since I felt like Gen was a bit of a slog. But I'm 99% sure we've done hunts together before, and we can totally get an import version group running through stuff quickly if we had to.

Kinsei

Banned
It would, especially since I felt like Gen was a bit of a slog. But I'm 99% sure we've done hunts together before, and we can totally get an import version group running through stuff quickly if we had to.

Yeah, that's true. Blasting through low & high rank to reach G rank shouldn't take too long in a group if we focus on key quests.

Juraash

Yeah, that's true. Blasting through low & high rank to reach G rank shouldn't take too long in a group if we focus on key quests.

Exactly, with a focus to push to G and the discord server to help coordinate a bit better we could be at the new stuff in no time. All I need is confirmation one way or the other about it being localised. At least Switch being region free gives us options if Capcom doesn't.

Kinsei

Banned
Should I buy this or World? I have never played Monster Hunter.

World will most definitely be a better jumping on point as it's actively trying to attract a new audience. From a quality perspective I can't really say until they show videos that properly represent the gameplay of World.

kaioshade

Should I buy this or World? I have never played Monster Hunter.

There has been no announcement yet if XX will be localized. And there is very little information about World to make a decision yet. I would wait a month or so for more information about both titles to come out.

ryechu

Probably cause it really isn't coming.
The focus will be Monster Hunter World.

the focus is clearly on mhw, but you really think its not coming? they are going through the effort to retool the textures, and half of the localization is done by virtue of it being an expansion of mhx. the only way it doesnt get localized is if sony bought western exclusivity.

Top Bottom