• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

Kinsei

Banned
It is funny to hear some of this irrational anger from people who are either younger or haven't been gaming very long.

Major franchises have jumped across platforms since the beginning of video games. It's just one of those things you have to deal with, and it's also why you don't buy systems assuming that follow-up titles will stick to the same platform.

Of course. I mean, the Monster Hunter series never recovered back when it switched from Sony to Nintendo, right?

It's not that the Switch isn;t getting a new MH game, it's that they're not bothering to bring out the one that already exists. This sucks as much as it did when P3rd didn't come over.

It's not happening.

So, unless Nintendo decides to localize and publish it themselves, it's unlikely to ever leave Japan. I mean, unless you want to import it or download the Japanese version from the eShop.

MatrixMan is not a reliable source.

XX is obviously coming over in some way, the grand majority of text is already localized . It's probably a sheduling conflict with Stories coming later this year and world coming in early 2018.

It's not that the Switch isn;t getting a new MH game, it's that they're not bothering to bring out the one that already exists. This sucks as much as it did when P3rd didn't come over.

In some ways, it sucks even more, because at least Capcom could use the excuse back in 2011 that PSP was no longer viable in the west.

EDarkness

You seem to have grand expectations for World in Japan. It's not going to sell much past a million units.

I don't have any grand expectations, but I do think they will promote the shit out of the game, and a pretty Monster Hunter does have a chance to get people excited about the series again. *shrug* I do think this is where Capcom is going to put the most effort into pushing Monster Hunter World. Sony will help with this as well. Could very well be a win-win for both of them...or a loss and a split franchise fanbase. I guess we'll see.

I don't have any grand expectations, but I do think they will promote the shit out of the game, and a pretty Monster Hunter does have a chance to get people excited about the series again.

The game is going to decline in total sales from 4 + 4U Western release. Whatever this "excite fans" stuff is about I don't really get where you are getting it from.

I do think this is where Capcom is going to put the most effort into pushing Monster Hunter World. Sony will help with this as well. Could very well be a win-win for both of them...or a loss and a split franchise fanbase. I guess we'll see.

I think multiplat MH is a good idea. I just don't get Capcom's goal here.

Foffy

Banned

XX is obviously coming over in some way, the grand majority of text is already localized . It's probably a sheduling conflict with Stories coming later this year and Worlds coming in early 2018.

W-who do we believe?! ;_;

Sophia

It seems rather odd not to release XX. Didn't Generations do pretty well in the west, even if it wasn't as good as MH4U?

XX is obviously coming over in some way, the grand majority of text is already localized . It's probably a sheduling conflict with Stories coming later this year and world coming in early 2018.
Do you actually know this? Do you have inside knowledge? Because if so thank god. Still, how did Matrix get so much right if he doesn't know anything?

At the moment Matrix is more reliable than your speculation.

W-who do we believe?! ;_;

Believe in cold, hard cash.

Modern Capcom is all about small investments, modest size returns and being risk averse (RE 7 notwithstanding).

The localization should cost peanuts compared to what a normal MH localization would cost and it would easily do a cool million on a hot system like the switch.

They just don't want to cannibalize Stories' or World's sales (especially World's sales as that's probaly a big deal for them). 3 MH games would just be too much in the span of like 6 months.
Do you actually know this? Because if so thank god. Still, how did Matrix get so much right if he doesn't know anything?

I don't know anything, but it's pretty easy to read the situation imo.
Capcom are penny pinchers who absolutely wouldn't let this opportunity slide to sell something attractive to the west. It's just logical that they want all eyes on World to get that off the ground first (and sell Generations Ultimate or whatever, later when the Switch is more established).

Believe in cold, hard cash.

Modern Capcom is all about small investments, modest size returns and being risk averse (RE 7 notwithstanding).

The localization should cost peanuts compared to what a normal MH localization would cost and it would easily do a cool million on a hot system like the switch.

They just don't want to cannibalize Stories' or World's sales (especially World's sales as that's probaly a big deal for them). 3 MH games would just be too much in the span of like 6 months.

It's certainly possible the game could come to the west in, like, a year from now. But I don't see it happening. It'll probably be a hard sell after World has launched and Generations will be two years old at that point.

Oregano

MatrixMan is legit, Capcom are dumb. News at 11.

I'm not going to start complaining about this not coming westward until I'm absolutely sure it isn't coming westward. So far I've seen nothing that would indicate it coming or not coming, and the fact that the bulk of the translation is already done on account of it being an expansion to Generations seems to lend credence to the idea that this is a likely easy get for Capcom to bring over.

But like I said, this is Capcom we're talking about, and Capcom wouldn't be Capcom without fucking up a bunch of sure things. Who knows?

No localisation announcement of this is my biggest disappointment of E3.

Maybe Capcom shows up with a surprise on one of the Treehouse streams....?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm not going to start complaining about this not coming westward until I'm absolutely sure it isn't coming westward. So far I've seen nothing that would indicate it coming or not coming, and the fact that the bulk of the translation is already done on account of it being an expansion to Generations seems to lend credence to the idea that this is a likely easy get for Capcom to bring over.

But like I said, this is Capcom we're talking about, and Capcom wouldn't be Capcom without fucking up a bunch of sure things. Who knows?

The dream is dead, it's all Battlefield Jurassic from now on.

Shiggy

For that he is not reliable he seems to get a lot right in terms of Monster Hunter info...

The dream is dead, it's all Battlefield Jurassic from now on.

Eh, I wouldn't totally give up. People thought that DQ7 and 8 weren't going to be announced for localization last E3 only for them to end up on the Treehouse stream later on in the week. Plus, DQ in the west is way more niche than MH is.

Idk, all I'm saying is I wouldn't fully throw in the towel until it's all said and done.

hope monster hunter stories tanks in the west
Oh you don't need to be Nostradamus to see that that's gonna flop.

NoKisum

So I was right. I knew World would happen over XX. Say what you want about your personal preferences, but Capcom is aware that majority of fans want new textures on a 1080p/4K (I think it'll be pro enhanced? Correct me if I'm wrong) TV over a port on a 720p device.

Shame, because I was really looking forward to playing XX with friends. But they would've wanted the shininess of World anyway, so I guess the point is moot.

depward

Oh I'm not begging, I'm full on bitching now. FUCK.
Oh yeah, same here.

I'm somehow, in some way, just hanging on to a sliver of hope. We haven't seen Yuri or SocksyBear (EU MH community dude) say outright: "We have no plans of localizing and releasing XX Switch in the West." All I've seen is just radio silence...

EDarkness

The game is going to decline in total sales from 4 + 4U Western release. Whatever this "excite fans" stuff is about I don't really get where you are getting it from.

The buzz for Monster Hunter World has been positive and Monster Hunter players finally getting a real HD version of the game is gonna get people to take notice and probably buy the game even though they normally wouldn't. Japanese reaction seems pretty good and anecdotally friends of mine are already talking about it's good that they don't have to buy a NS in order to get a prettier version of the game. I think they're going to do quite well with this. Now, how well subsequent versions sell is another matter entirely, but right now they can ride this hype wave to try to get more fans of the series.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The buzz for Monster Hunter World has been positive and Monster Hunter players finally getting a real HD version of the game is gonna get people to take notice and probably buy the game even though they normally wouldn't. Japanese reaction seems pretty good and anecdotally friends of mine are already talking about it's good that they don't have to buy a NS in order to get a prettier version of the game. I think they're going to do quite well with this. Now, how well subsequent versions sell is another matter entirely, but right now they can ride this hype wave to try to get more fans of the series.

So, I take they already own a PS4?

It's not going to sell much past a million in Japan. So we'll see how much the game can rack up in the West. If this doesn't decline from 4 +4U Western (since the west never got vanilla 4) I would be shocked. If this sold more than Generations I would be shocked. 3 million is not a small amount of units in the West.

I'll be baffled if they don't bring this over. All that work cultivating what has become a very enthusiastic and loyal fanbase, for what? If they expect those people to all buy Monster Hunter World instead, they're in for a rude awakening. Casuals aren't going to pick up the slack either.

The hell is wrong with people in this thread, people are just losing it. What happened?

As I best understand it: a certain poster accurately teased the MH World reveal, name, and meltdown from it not being quite what fans wanted. In the aftermath of Nintendo's spotlight people began wondering about XXs prospects, and he popped in again to shoot down hope, claiming that Capcom had no plans for XX's localization.

People are taking that word as gospel and assuming the absolute worst. I don't know if this poster has additional credibility, or if people are assuming the worst, or if its cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria. But that's the gist of it from what I understand.

Calm Mind

There is hype for this game? Where?

Top Bottom