• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

brinstar

As I best understand it: a certain poster accurately teased the MH World reveal, name, and meltdown from it not being quite what fans wanted. In the aftermath of Nintendo's spotlight people began wondering about XXs prospects, and he popped in again to shoot down hope, claiming that Capcom had no plans for XX's localization.

People are taking that word as gospel and assuming the absolute worst. I don't know if this poster has additional credibility, or if people are assuming the worst, or if its cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria. But that's the gist of it from what I understand.

He didn't tease meltdowns because of it not being what fans wanted, he teased meltdowns because it's not on Nintendo, and now I guess that makes sense bc he also knew XX isn't getting localized, meaning Nintendo users in the west get nothing.

As I best understand it: a certain poster accurately teased the MH World reveal, name, and meltdown from it not being quite what fans wanted. In the aftermath of Nintendo's spotlight people began wondering about XXs prospects, and he popped in again to shoot down hope, claiming that Capcom had no plans for XX's localization.

People are taking that word as gospel and assuming the absolute worst. I don't know if this poster has additional credibility, or if people are assuming the worst, or if its cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria. But that's the gist of it from what I understand.

absolute worst would be XX cancelled on switch. MHXX can be bought by any switch due to the region free eshop so yeah... im going to get it anyways :)

We live in a world where Nintendo is publishing Skyrim and MoHun consistently sells around a million+ copies.

I wouldn't worry too much about the game being localized. Probably by Nintendo.

He didn't tease meltdowns because of it not being what fans wanted, he teased meltdowns because it's not on Nintendo, and now I guess that makes sense bc he also knew XX isn't getting localized, meaning Nintendo users in the west get nothing.

I think it's important though, and thank you for correcting me, to remember that people leaking stuff have a position within the company and while that gives them access to details, it doesn't necessarily give them accessing to everything. It's entirely possible Plans for XX just haven't hit his sphere of influence, be it because the project hasn't revved up yet for localization, or perhaps they don't have announcement plans ready yet, or whatever. I still think it's way too early to automatically assume doom and gloom.

absolute worst would be XX cancelled on switch. MHXX can be bought by any switch due to the region free eshop so yeah... im going to get it anyways :)

Nah absolute worst is Capcom travels back in time to convince themselves to never make the franchise in the first place. :p

brinstar

I think it's important though, and thank you for correcting me, to remember that people leaking stuff have a position within the company and while that gives them access to details, it doesn't necessarily give them accessing to everything. It's entirely possible Plans for XX just haven't hit his sphere of influence, be it because the project hasn't revved up yet for localization, or perhaps they don't have announcement plans ready yet, or whatever. I still think it's way too early to automatically assume doom and gloom.

Yeah, here's hoping. I'm excited for World too but I need my portable MH man

Thoraxes

The optimist in me says that there is no way Stories is coming here and XX doesn't.

The pessimist in me says Capcom.

Nintendo is publishing MH Stories in the west. But yeah, it would be bizarre to localize that when the opportunity cost for an XX release overseas seems like a much more sure thing than Stories.

Nintendo is publishing MH Stories in the west. But yeah, it would be bizarre to localize that when the opportunity cost for an XX release overseas seems like a much more sure thing than Stories.

Especially since E3 has shown that the 3DS in 2017 isn't as dire in terms of software as you would have guessed.

Belker

I put 100 hours into MH on the Wii. I even bought joypad and the Wii Speak to use with it.

I would have played more, but the group I was with outlevelled me and I couldn't join their hunts. That's my big problem with the game; I hope these versions allow for difficulty scaling in some way, so people who can't level together and still play together.

jackal27

Banned
This apparently. Not sure how reliable of a source it is though.
That would be the absolute dumbest shit. You essentially already translated the game once for crying out loud and you have an established user base on Nintendo consoles. The last could of games sold very well here as well. What is there to lose??

Bendo

That would be the absolute dumbest shit. You essentially already translated the game once for crying out loud and you have an established user base on Nintendo consoles. The last could of games sold very well here as well. What is there to lose??
MonHun World sales. Considering its likely not going to sell a whole lot in Japan they need focused marketing in the West to drive interest and sales. They can always localize XX later if need be.

This apparently. Not sure how reliable of a source it is though.

That's one way to fuck over your customer base. I wonder what's going to be left of Capcom in 5 years. They've been wrong with Dead Rising and Street Fighter. RE7 sales did not meet expectations. Now they're jeopardizing their main cashcow, MonHun... Do they really think they can stand up against AssCreed or Horizon?

That's one way to fuck over your customer base. I wonder what's going to be left of Capcom in 5 years. They've been wrong with Dead Rising and Street Fighter. Now they're jeopardizing their main brand, MonHun... Do they really think they can stand up against AssCreed or Horizon?

Capcom: "I know what our fans want!"

giphy.gif

Kysen

Presumably the Japanese copy would still connect to the Japanese servers no matter where you are in the world. But the latency is guaranteed to be pretty bad if you live far from Japan.
I live in the UK and latency has never been a problem with any of the 3DS MH games. I only own the JP versions.

Prophane33

I live in the UK and latency has never been a problem with any of the 3DS MH games. I only own the JP versions.

I live on the East coast of the US and am seconding this. Never had a big issue with lag. I've played 2 of the last 3 MonHun games in Japanese and it's very likely that I'm going to end up playing XX that way too.

jackal27

Banned
MonHun World sales. Considering its likely not going to sell a whole lot in Japan they need focused marketing in the West to drive interest and sales. They can always localize XX later if need be.
How does that make any sense? Especially when Monster Hunter World is so far down the road and XX is right here??

jackal27

Banned
To play devil's advocate: It's possible they don't have the localization resources to spare.
This would make more sense to me. Still, the game was already localized once and I can't imagine what else would be eating up the small amount of resources required to localize it.

Effect

Monster Hunter is NOT a game one wants to play in a language you can not understand. Especially one you haven't played before. If you've mastered a game in your language already that's another story but XX is new, new content, etc. Simpy getting it off the eShop is not a good option. An option but no way a good one that should be recommended.

XX not being localized was always a real possibility. I always thought it wouldn't. I still stand by my feeling from last night. F Capcom.

wrowa

How does that make any sense? Especially when Monster Hunter World is so far down the road and XX is right here??

MHW is slated for Early 2018, that's not really that far down the road.

Still, incredibly disappointing. I was certain we'd get MHXX in the west this year and now it seems uncertain whether we'll get it at all. Didn't think we'd end up at this point again after Capcom seemed very satisfied by Generations' sales. Oh well.

El Odio

Banned
Still gonna hope for a localization announcement during the treehouse be it tomorrow or Thursday. If not that's a damn good way to kill any goodwill towards your fans.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Still gonna hope for a localization announcement during the treehouse be it tomorrow or Thursday. If not that's a damn good way to kill any goodwill towards your fans.

I am totally buying Stories at the end of the year but I would love to have confirmation about XX localization for spring 18 by Nintendo

Monster Hunter is NOT a game one wants to play in a language you can not understand. Especially one you haven't played before. If you've mastered a game in your language already that's another story but XX is new, new content, etc. Simpy getting it off the eShop is not a good option. An option but no way a good one that should be recommended.

XX not being localized was always a real possibility. I always thought it wouldn't. I still stand by my feeling from last night. F Capcom.
i was talking about myself. i played tri and 4 in japanese. ill be fine

jackal27

Banned
Yup. And we're a fanbase that has been through some
shit.

I have a PS4 and I may buy Monster Hunter World (if it's worth buying), but why should that affect the more traditional game that is exclusive to Nintendo consoles?

heringer

It's one of the few games I know that it's completely playable in another language. It's not ideal, but as far as import friendly games go, you can't do much better than this.

If you NEVER played Monster Hunter before, that's another story.

Noty a good option, but still the only option. I'm importing it, hoping that my few remnants of japanese studies from some years ago will help me.

Kyoufu

I'm not fluent in Japanese but 95% of my MH playtime has been with the JP versions. They're action games so they're easy to play. Then again some people just can't deal with non-native language games so I wouldn't recommend importing any game to them.

Lelou

i don't get why they had worked for 6-7 years on the western mh fanbase.
For what?
Throw everything away?

All the efforts made by both ninty and capcom seems to made just an army of angry fans over this few hours...
And i think it will become even more worse over the months

EDarkness

I have a PS4 and I may buy Monster Hunter World (if it's worth buying), but why should that affect the more traditional game that is exclusive to Nintendo consoles?

Because the goal would be to get people to buy MH: World primarily and someone who buys XX might like that game, but not the other. If everyone is playing under the same game, then the base isn't split and they get to keep making their HD Monster Hunter. It may not even matter if you're a fan and if you're gonna buy it on the PS4, because with the sheer size of the install base of all three platforms (PS4, XBO, PC), if you don't buy there may be plenty others who will. Losing some fans is tough, but I wouldn't doubt that they're banking on those fans migrating, because they may be more fans of the game, then systems. Sucks for Nintendo fans who want XX, but install base wise, they're a small group.

Nerazar

It will get localized at some point. But I don't know whether that's before or after the release of MH:W. That's my speculation, because it wouldn't make sense for them not to do it.

YBdisk

The game released in march and over half has already been translated with Generations. This has to come to the west. It doesn't make any sense not to.

Top Bottom