• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

Oregano

Nintendo at least recognizes how important the franchise is for their hardware, especially in Japan. It's mutually beneficial to continue whatever partnership exists. They're not going to be reactionary children throwing a fit like they've been wronged. We're long past the dark days of Yamauchi.

If we're going to talk about Capcom not giving a shit about fans/customers, Nintendo ditching the franchise would be a much bigger blow.

Oh I agree there's no point being spiteful but it kind of fails to be mutually beneficial when the most important release is now skipping your platform. Publishing MH Stories probably isn't doing much for Nintendo now. I mean if Capcom aren't going to abandon their Japanese portable fanbase it won't matter if they don't get special treatment from Nintendo like they have in the past.

Effect

When did they announce generations? Was it before X launched in japan?

Just looked it up.

X was announced in May 2015 and released in November 2015
Generations was announced in March 2016 and released July 2016
XX was announced in Oct 2016 and released March 2017
XX Switch was announced May 2017
World was announced June 2017

If the Switch in general was getting an announcement or just in the west it would be around this time now. This is in the range of time after the last release when the next entry would be announced or the localization would be announced.

So nothing new for the Switch instead of a port from a game released last year. Instead the brand new game goes to other systems. Then nothing in the west for the Switch or 3DS when this is the time that announcement would have come. Due to World there is no reason to expect that announcement to come either. So Capcom was and will be simply milking the 3DS and Switch customer base with XX now that we know World exist. The sales of these 3DS games going to the development of this brand new game for other systems.

HeeHo

I am not understanding the hysteria at all. I consider myself a pretty big fan of this series and to me the situation is:

- we're getting a PS4 version of MH with an obviously bigger budget for visuals. it still looks pretty early to me considering not many attacks were shown. I own a PS4 so I'm really happy they are giving this a shot

- Double Cross exists and was recently announced but we didn't hear anything from Capcom or Nintendo about it being localized. An insider commented that Capcom stated 'they have no plans to' at the moment. Which has been said by a lot of Japanese game companies before the games actually come over. We already got Generations, saying there are 'no plans to at the moment' is not the same as saying it will never happen, plus the perfect financial sense it makes to bring it here on a popular new system and I'm pretty sure everything is okay.

For me as an MH fan, I am getting 2 console versions of Monster Hunter at some point. I really enjoyed MH3U on Wii U. Way more than on the handhelds personally. This is a dream come true for me.

I personally want Double Cross a little more right now because I think MH Worlds looks a bit unfinished at the moment. I'm not worried about it though. For some comparing it to the MHP3rd situation, could the PSP weaker sales in the U,S. and the rate of piracy have something to do with that?

Lelou

I doubt Nintendo is all that interested in burning bridges.

Well, if you may take it as a reply.. The nintendo e3 presentaition speak alone.
Other than that, the leaks mentioned that "Nintendo, make a step back after they knew about the """secret""" agreement of sony and capcom to this new game.
I still don't get, why they are localizing mh stories, but we will probably see it on the next months.

EDarkness

Do you work for Capcom?

I don't, but their actions over the last few years paint a picture. You don't think they'd make an HD version of their game that a lot of people have been asking for, that is also multi-platform, with a simultaneous worldwide release priority over an up-rezed port of a SD game on a system with a fraction of the install base of the others? They seem to be going all in on HD Monster Hunter. It's not like they haven't left communities in the past, either. Those who want to play their game will follow to where it goes next.

You keep saying excitement, I see that, skepticism, and divisiveness. Not sure why you think everyone is somehow gungho about a console HD game. Like, all of us who preferred this as a marquee LAN series are less than thrilled.

I see a lot of excitement on my Twitter feed. Friends are excited. Some want to try for the first time. Some are happy about not having to buy a NS to play, etc. Just my general observations while going to different forums and social media.

yurinka

Isn't that basically a confirmation in PR-speak? :)
Yes. Sounds as potentially flagged by Capcom PR as controversial topic.

This means Capcom PR told them to reply this exact sentence when asked for this because Capcom PR thought it was an important topic because they will announce the localization very soon or maybe they won't localize it at all.

Hattori

Banned
with Pokemon on the way, Capcom will come around. Sony probably money hatted release exclusivity but I bet the next MH will be back to form.

4chan rumor never lies.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Honestly, I still believe Nintendo is bringing this to the West (so, that would fit with Capcom not getting involved with it); otherwise, the Friday release in Japan wouldn't make any sense at all. Fyi, games in Japan are usually released on Thursdays and Saturdays, depending on the game's relevance. The most recent exceptions have been represented by Nintendo's latest releases on Switch + Ultra Street Fighter II (due to Nintendo publishing it in Europe, I suppose).

Effect

Well, if you may take it as a reply.. The nintendo e3 presentaition speak alone.
Other than that, the leaks mentioned that "Nintendo, make a step back after they knew about the """secret""" agreement of sony and capcom to this new game.
I still don't get, why they are localizing mh stories, but we will probably see it on the next months.

I actually don't understand why they agreed to published Monster Hunter Stories in the first place. That game "failed" in Japan. Monster Hunter land. It's going to fail in the west. That's not hyperbole either. It's a waste of resources. If Nintendo knew about Capcom moving the series off their system I wonder if they still would have made that deal. Unless they didn't know at the time and found out after. Maybe that's why there is no push at all by Nintendo. There was the announcement and it completely dropped off the radar after that. That game is suppose to be released this Fall in the US and Europe. I guess if it turns out people can't find copies in stores easily and we don't get a release date until very late then Nintendo is just pushing it out the door and washing their hands of it.

I don't, but their actions over the last few years paint a picture. You don't think they'd make an HD version of their game that a lot of people have been asking for, that is also multi-platform, with a simultaneous worldwide release priority over an up-rezed port of a SD game on a system with a fraction of the install base of the others?

More than half of XX is already localized. This game could already be out on 3DS given its release date in Japan.

They seem to be going all in on HD Monster Hunter. It's not like they haven't left communities in the past, either. Those who want to play their game will follow to where it goes next.

You're literally just saying "get the fuck over it hahaha".

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I see a lot of excitement on my Twitter feed. Friends are excited. Some want to try for the first time. Some are happy about not having to buy a NS to play, etc. Just my general observations while going to different forums and social media.

Yeah your twitter impressions dont mean anything. Stop referencing these as actual proof.

TheOasis

This GIF sums up the reaction in this thread:

ezgif.com-gif-maker8ba8f.gif

Lelou

I actually don't understand why they agreed to published Monster Hunter Stories in the first place. That game "failed" in Japan. Monster Hunter land. It's going to fail in the west. That's not hyperbole either. It's a waste of resources. If Nintendo knew about Capcom moving the series off their system I wonder if they still would have made that deal. Unless they didn't know at the time and found out after. Maybe that's why there is no push at all by Nintendo. There was the announcement and it completely dropped off the radar after that. That game is suppose to be released this Fall in the US and Europe. I guess if it turns out people can't find copies in stores easily and we don't get a release date until very late then Nintendo is just pushing it out the door and washing their hands of it.

From what the leaks said, nintendo didn't knew about the deal until later moments, when everythink was alread set.
But like you i don't get why they choose to publish a title that fail even in his homeland..

Chindogg

Let's all relax guys.

I'm sure Capcom's not going to all of a sudden drop support of a rising portable in the Switch. We'll just get two Monster Hunters. That's a good thing.

It's a good thing if you speak Japanese from the looks of things, otherwise you're shit out of luck.

日本語お話します。

But seriously, we have a couple days of Treehouse left. I don't think Capcom's going to leave money on the table like that.

Oregano

Let's all relax guys.

I'm sure Capcom's not going to all of a sudden drop support of a rising portable in the Switch. We'll just get two Monster Hunters. That's a good thing.

It's a good thing if you speak Japanese from the looks of things, otherwise you're shit out of luck.

Lelou

Sadly is what is really happening.
But i really don't get how so big companies could lack of prospective and they can't even understand what their communities are aiming for..

We have internet, it's 2017 right?

Rncewind

some people are tripping to hard on acid here with nintendo should burning bridges to third partys (sounds like a good plan, especially if you have so much third party support in the first place like nintendo) or shit talking other games.

You need to grow up

13ruce

Banned
Worlds probably will come to Switch aswell especially if they want to sell it in Japan.

Pure console MH games do pretty crappy there.

EDarkness

More than half of XX is already localized. This game could already be out on 3DS given its release date in Japan.

That doesn't mean anything. Full, finished games get canned or go unreleased for lots of reasons.

You're literally just saying "get the fuck over it hahaha".

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

You and I agree. I think the whole situation sucks ass. They should do right by their fans and localize the game for NS users. However, having worked at a game company under a famous game developer at one point in time, I can tell you that a lot of times these guys aren't thinking about us and will do what they want to push whatever agenda upper management wants. That's just how it is. Sometimes logic doesn't even factor into it.

Yeah your twitter impressions dont mean anything. Stop referencing these as actual proof.

Aren't we speculating in this thread? Who said anything about fact? None of use know the real reasons, we can only go off of the information we have and try to go from there. No point in getting all upset about it. The bottom line at the moment is that the current rumor we have is that MS XX isn't getting localized and isn't in the cards. Capcom is pushing MH: World pretty hard right now and it seems they're hedging their bets. Take from what what you will.

DooMAGE

some people are tripping to hard on acid here with nintendo should burning bridges to third partys (sounds like a good plan, especially if you have so much third party support in the first place like nintendo) or shit talking other games.

You need to grow up

I think you should do some research about MH games on west before shitposting here.

Man, this thread is actually way more entertaining than the Worlds thread.

So uh, when is the change.org page going up?
I thought we were past that. T___________________T

Fucking Capcom.

I'm legit ANGRY at them. I took MHXX for granted. Thought it would be a sure fire for them, I wasn't even worried. Never thought we would be in this situation again, not after the success of MH3U, MH4U AND MHG.

uQpJf9g.gif

Apharmd

My biggest issue is that I love portables now. I had a PSP, it was okay but the game that made me love portables and spent literally four hundred hours was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. It was so goddamn good and convenient to play with other people that I could not imagine MH back on a console. Switch to me felt perfect for MH pickup and play with other players, and to be given World instead? Felt like Capcom tossed me to the side chasing the fruit of AAA profits.

Rncewind

I think you should do some research about MH games on west before shitposting here.

im playing MH since PS2 days thank you. Btw. how does this even remotly relate to what i wrote? Its childish behaivor

edit:

hope monster hunter stories tanks in the west

It will be easy to find switches since ppl are re-selling due to the monster Hunter fiasco.

oh you are that guy...

talking about shit posting

Alex

I want both. If World is something that's being done internally and taken seriously, then I def want it but it is highly perturbing to skip out on the localization of XX in the process, especially when World isn't until 2018.

I mean because Capcom has such a huge glut of games to publish in the west the rest of the year.

That doesn't mean anything. Full games get canned or go unreleased for lots of reasons.

You original point was emphasizing what would make sense to promote but the game is already deeply localized. It's not a bunch of effort or attention to give your fanbase the rest of the content. Localizing Generations vanilla gave the implication the expansion would come. We always get the complete versions, not the expansions.

You and I agree. I think the whole situation sucks ass. They should do right by their fans and localize the game for NS users. However, having worked at a game company under a famous game developer at one point in time, I can tell you that a lot of times these guys aren't thinking about us and will do what they want to push whatever agenda upper management wants. That's just how it is. Sometimes logic doesn't even factor into it.

Which is why I asked if you work for Capcom because you really seem to be down with the decision. Anyway.

Oregano

I'd be disappointed if it didn't.

Hell, I'm tempted to make it myself just to concentrate the salt into a single place on the internet.

Jesus, wanting Capcom to release an existing game which is already mostly localised is not fucking salt. Silly posts about Nintendo banishing the franchise don't have anything to do with Capcom being shit.

Rncewind

Jesus, wanting Capcom to release an existing game which is already mostly localised is not fucking salt. Silly posts about Nintendo banishing the franchise don't have anything to do with Capcom being shit.

yeah some one should clear this thread maybe alot of dumb stuff is getting throwed left and right

My biggest issue is that I love portables now. I had a PSP, it was okay but the game that made me love portables and spent literally four hundred hours was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. It was so goddamn good and convenient to play with other people that I could not imagine MH back on a console. Switch to me felt perfect for MH pickup and play with other players, and to be given World instead? Felt like Capcom tossed me to the side chasing the fruit of AAA profits.

Same.
I'm already sure I won't be playing anywhere as much on PC / PS4.

Yeah I'm not liking the implication that we're silly salty fanboys. It was a game I was looking forward to, I'm not a platform warrior and I have no malice towards worlds and will buy that too. It's genuinely disappointing if it doesn't get localised.

DooMAGE

Street fighter 2 as a launch game for Switch tells enough. This is the kind of support Capcom Will give. Just scraps, and MHW to even XBOX but Switch and lack MHXX is the west is the nail in the coffin.

EDarkness

You original point was emphasizing what would make sense to promote but the game is already deeply localized. It's not a bunch of effort or attention to give your fanbase the rest of the content. Localizing Generations vanilla gave the implication the expansion would come. We always get the complete versions, not the expansions.

I was saying that it doesn't matter what the status of that game is in the west, because it will still take resources to port over and whatever those resources are may not be worth it with a game they're more excited to get behind. My theory is simple...out with the old, in with the new. Why spend the resources when they could easily not worry about it and focus on getting Monster Hunter World out. Those who don't like it will drop off, but there's a possibility that losing those players may be a small thing when looking at the bigger picture and a substantially higher install base.

Which is why I asked if you work for Capcom because you really seem to be down with the decision. Anyway.

I'm only trying to make sense of it all based on what we know and what the rumor said. The rumor is turing out to be quite interesting and fairly accurate. Sony gets Monster Hunter all by themselves in Japan for a while and the side effect of that is that Capcom may not localize MH XX and that's good for them since they wouldn't have any other competition on that front. Pretty crazy when you think about it.

Of course this narrative can change at any time and I'm curious if the new rumor about Capcom not planning on localizing is true. I guess we'll see in the next couple of days.

lyrick

I guess it's time to either wait out whatever the fuck capcpcom is doing or learn enough kanji to get through the august release.

I wanted the opportunity to play MonHun on the couch when the opportunity presented itself, not be forced to only play MonHun on the couch.

So MonHun GAF what's the best learn to read Japanese site?

It's not salt to want a game to be localized.
Yeah I'm not liking the implication that we're silly salty fanboys. It was a game I was looking forward to, I'm not a platform warrior and I have no malice towards worlds and will buy that too. It's genuinely disappointing if it doesn't get localised.

Oh, I completely agree with all of you. If I actually cared about MHXX after seeing MHW and it being everything I wanted, I'd be disappointed too. Wouldn't be salt at all.

However, there's disappointment, and then there's this:

After the move of capcom, if i was nintendo, i would probably just get rid completly of this franchise from my consoles.
Because if they leak were completly true, capcom really don't care at all about the community, the gamers, and the company with they are making business.

Something here is really stinky..

This is salt. Pure and simple.

Effect

Street fighter 2 as a launch game for Switch tells enough. This is the kind of support Capcom Will give. Just scraps, and MHW to even XBOX but Switch and lack MHXX is the west is the nail in the coffin.

That's the conclusion I'm coming to right now.

If that's the case then I have the older games and will have to find something to replace it. Assuming Nintendo doesn't end up offering something to fill the void on the Switch in the coming months/years.

I took for granted that Monster Hunter was going to be a stable franchise on the Switch for Nintendo and customers/fans. Clearly that's not the case it seems.

Top Bottom