• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More evidence Guerrilla Games developing open world RPG?

Dark_castle

I would really like a modern day Open World RPG.

There are really too few of that. Something like "The Secret World" in Singleplayer.

Our current times are really underutilized in RPGs. The only series that is still doing it is basically Persona and that has also a lot to do with why I like it so much. It would be great to see a western RPG that does it.

Final Fantasy XV. Though it's not completely open.

You're elves and dragons style RPG is a bit hackneyed but god damn I would buy one by GG in an instant.

Not that I think they'll do that.... treading on Bethesda's toes a bit. Still, I would love to see them do something that was a real change from killzone. Something without guns and rubble. I can only imagine what a first person, open world hack and slash would look like.

http://www.ps3blog.net/2010/12/27/guerrilla-games-new-ip-a-aaa-fps-with-fantasy-elements/

Yeah, it will have fantasy elements.

I'm hoping for something like project offset personally

Okay, those are very blatant. We know they were at least working on a game with fantasy elements. Sounds like it is not Killzone, and I think that is the right choice. They have basically been a Killzone studio apart from that awesome Vietnam game (cough cough). Better if they branch out.

Dinda

Final Fantasy XV. Though it's not completely open.

There are various reasons I'm sceptical about FF XV even though i'm a Final Fantasy Fan, but that's another story.

FFXV may be set in a world that more resembles our modern world, but i would still absolutely classify it as a Fantasy Setting.

Alpha Protocol is another example for a great Modern Day RPG. That game with the technical quality of a Killzone and more time to polish would be fantastic.

How many peoplere in the GG team?

I ask simply because a game like this could be a massive undertaking and if its a small team we might not see it till 2015 or later :\

Dinda

I ask simply because a game like this could be a massive undertaking and if its a small team we might not see it till 2015 or later :\

I don't know, but as far as i know the rumor that they are working on a RPG is pretty old, so they might already work on that since quite some time.

Dark_castle

There are various reasons I'm sceptical about FF XV even though i'm a Final Fantasy Fan, but that's another story.

FFXV may be set in a world that more resembles our modern world, but i would still absolutely classify it as a Fantasy Setting.

Alpha Protocol is another example for a great Modern Day RPG. That game with the technical quality of a Killzone and more time to polish would be fantastic.

It's pseudo-reality I suppose, just like Parasite Eve, SMT, Persona and Shadow Hearts series.

Pistolero

Regardless of the team size, there won't possibly be a new IP release from them before 2015...

smr00

Banned
Finally... a GG game which may potentially feature a decent story.
Which is crazy to me because on paper the KZ series seems amazing but once you start playing them it's like wow this is some extremely mediocre ass writing and storytelling.

Which is also a bummer because i genuinely like the whole space nazi helghan empire and all this backstory and extrasolar war and all this stuff if done right could of been so, so good.

wizzbang

Banned
I haven't played Shadow Fall yet but I actually like the KZ franchise :/ It's awful in the right ways. - Combat is solid as fuck and graphics tip top, story is ......... I don't know if it's laughable but .... well I don't play it for the story.

Corto

Ok. This is starting to get interesting. Starting. I'm still a bit wary if one lead writer is enough though. Like Gearbox with the buyout of Homeworld (that they now lend to the Hardware folks, fortunately) these specialized genres (strategy, open world RPG) need solid foundations and a GG open world RPG will hopefully have a budget high enough to hire people knowledgeable and experienced enough to build those. A good start indeed.

I haven't played Shadow Fall yet but I actually like the KZ franchise :/ It's awful in the right ways. - Combat is solid as fuck and graphics tip top, story is ......... I don't know if it's laughable but .... well I don't play it for the story.

I agree...there are very few games I play for the story alone, because...yeah, big budget games don't tend to have very good stories. Even KZ 2 had pretty much a non-entity of a story. Mind you stuff like Halo isn't that much better. Master Chief is pretty cornball.

Seems like Sony are snapping up good people at the moment to improve their already great first party offerings. Really looking forward to seeing what GG and NDs are gonna gonna get up to.

Yeah, it was the only thing I could find for studio size though

Going off LinkedIn ( granted, not everyone put up their details there )

There's 36 staff members based in UK.
18 based in Cambridge, directly with the Cambridge team. Another 18 spread throughout UK, and based off their listing, are either supporting Cambridge or the main Netherlands team.

200 staff members based in Netherlands, which is the core GG team.

Dusky

Sounds about right.

"Sony Cambridge (24: The Game, Primal, GhostHunter) lost 20 members of staff, almost a quarter of the workforce based there"

So about 80 or so at Guerrilla Cambridge, and GG would be at 100 plus most likely.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/report-axe-falls-sony-uk-staff/

Going off LinkedIn ( granted, not everyone put up their details there )

There's 36 staff members based in UK.
18 based in Cambridge, directly with the Cambridge team. Another 18 spread throughout UK, and based off their listing, are either supporting Cambridge or the main Netherlands team.

200 staff members based in Netherlands, which is the core GG team.

Q7JgoMM.jpg

https://twitter.com/StevenTerHeide1/status/300506403272003584

Good news. Just wish they'd hired some good writers about 4 years ago. If the game is well into production I'm not sure how much his talents are going to help. He'd probably be tasked with fixing whatever terrible story Steven Ter Heide or whoever has written.

wizzbang

Banned
I agree...there are very few games I play for the story alone, because...yeah, big budget games don't tend to have very good stories. Even KZ 2 had pretty much a non-entity of a story. Mind you stuff like Halo isn't that much better. Master Chief is pretty cornball.

We agree and disagree then. I'm fucking huge on story / single player - it's all I care about. I also agree, I think Halo is over rated tripe. At least KZ doesn't take itself seriously, I'm apparently meant to think Master Cheif is actually cool seemingly (whut?)

I digress though, Uncharted, Last of Us, Journey, Heavy Rain, Heavenly Sword - these all have relatively decent stories (yes Journey does) without an MP focus.
SP for life - KZ is a nice meat and potatoes shooter for me, I'd miss it.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'd be a bit surprised if it's the open world RPG Guerrilla might be developing that has the fantasy elements they hinted at. I think that is/was a different project.

As much as I love the Killzone games (Mercenary is my current addiction, at least until my PS4 and Shadow Fall turn up) it is the right time for Guerilla to move away from the property.

A whole new genre is certainly something I would like to see them try to attempt, if it leads to some fresh ideas (and hopefully a decent story this time?!) then I'll be over the moon. They have certainly shown they have potential when it comes to the FPS market, I hope that translates into something greater when approaching something different.

The one time they made a game that wasn't an FPS, it was fucking awesome and very unique, so I'm hyped

Especially for an RPG. Their art and music is top tier, so even if they don't nail the gameplay, this could be awesome. Tons of my favorite RPGs are favorites because of things other than the mechanics.

Is this the writer for Killzone: Shadow Fall or no? If yes, then... that's bad.

Edit: hired back in September of this year, so no then. That's a good sign, they needed a better writer pronto.

Zen

Banned
Thanks for the find. Had no idea GG core team was that large. Should be able to fit two teams with that number pretty easily.

Well the core Guerilla actually have two teams, that's how Killzone Shadow Fall and their other RPG project happened. Cambridge is their sister/support studio (that presumably still helps out with tech for all of SCEWWS) and they've got a single team (responsible for Mercenary and probably working on something else now for Vita).

Guerrilla are, and have always been, a tech-driven studio, with art a close second. They need better actual game designers, has long been my opinion. Then they'll have the potential to really create something astonishing. But they haven't made a game that's above mediocre yet (though haven't played Shadow Fall).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Fallout New Vegas writer?! This sounds amazing already.

Shengar

When I read "lead writer of Obsidian" I though of Chris Avellone
I almost died from an heart attack
Then it turned not to be him
Fuck
But still lead writer of New Vegas is great, looking forward for this game

foxtrot3d

Banned
When I read "lead writer of Obsidian" I though of Chris Avellone
I almost died from an heart attack
Then it turned not to be him
Fuck
But still lead writer of New Vegas is great, looking forward for this game

That would be terrible news, we need Chris at Obsidian he's why the company is still awesome. I don't wanna see him leave there anytime soon. However, a lead writer from Obsidian does give me hope for this new GG IP, I can't wait to see what they do with an RPG they've wasted too much time on the KZ franchise.

Shengar

That would be terrible news, we need Chris at Obsidian he's why the company is still awesome. I don't wanna see him leave there anytime soon. However, a lead writer from Obsidian does give me hope for this new GG IP, I can't wait to see what they do with an RPG they've wasted too much time on the KZ franchise.

I know, I know. That (near) heart attack comes from mixed reaction to what I read. Glad in the end it wasn't him, but one his co-worker. I expected Gonzales to have similar artistic vision of video games with Avellone :)

Aaron

ummm... wouldn't hiring a quality writer like John Gonzales adjust your expectations a bit- or did you completely skip the OP?
I don't remember any of the story from New Vegas and I did every last quest. None of the DLC though. A few of the characters were decent, but in terms of story it was Obsidian's weakest effort.

Top Bottom