• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More evidence Guerrilla Games developing open world RPG?

i-Lo

What about kill zone RPG?

While this may present itself as an opportunity to flesh out the actual lore, it may end up diluting the franchise. Plus, I do not fully trust them to do justice to a franchise filled with such potential for they have failed to do so over the last two whole generations just because they might delve into a new genre.

Truth be told, after The Last of Us, which alongside Fallout New Vegas, Planescape Torment, Beyond Two Souls, The Witcher series, have tried to elevate the story telling prowess and maturity of the medium, it's hard to go back to the devs of KZ expecting a great story when the best they have done (according to multiple reviews) with KZSF is mediocre one.

Still, the inclusion of an Obsidian member gives me hope. However, as aforementioned, I really hope it's not in the fantasy genre (which I think is a cop out).

What about kill zone RPG?

If they were going to work on a new type of game in the KZ universe, I'd rather they worked on a squad-based first person strategy (a mix of Republic Commando and Band of Brothers).

But yeah, I agree with Derrick: it's better if they go for a new IP. Take something that looks like Deus Ex and marry it with a Fallout-type RPG. Bonus point if they make it scary like System Shock.

I'd love them to stay semi-sci-fi.

I mean I love fantasy too, but I really love what they are able to do with the sci-fi aesthetic in Killzone.

Or... Like historic would really bowl me over, but I'm not holding my breath.

Almighty

I am always interested in more RPGs, but I will keep my expectations low. Not trying to take a jab at Guerrilla Games(I am not very familiar with most of their work), it's just that there are only a few developers who have proven they can make good RPGs.

UNCMark

Banned
After playing Shadow Fall, my expectations are low. Horrible story, but what's worse is that it has some of the most idiotic game design I've seen in quite awhile.

After playing Shadow Fall, my expectations are low. Horrible story, but what's worse is that it has some of the most idiotic game design I've seen in quite awhile.

I haven't played Shadow Fall, but I have played their previous games, and while I wouldn't call their design "idiotic", I would agree that they need not only a good writer (which it seems like they have one now) but a proper game director/designer.

GG definitely needs help creating an interesting world, telling a good story and creating memorable characters. Hiring this guy is a start in that direction but they need to do much more. I lost some faith in them after playing Shadow Fall.

Banned
It's sounding like destiny or fallout. I'd rather a third person open world game but it's sounding interesting.

UNCMark

Banned
I haven't played Shadow Fall, but I have played their previous games, and while I wouldn't call their design "idiotic", I would agree that they need not only a good writer (which it seems like they have one now) but a proper game director/designer.

Play Shadow Fall first and then we can talk about the design decisions I'm referring to (for example pretty much all of chapter 8 is god-awful). The entire game vacillates between middling shooter (sorry, but the AI is atrocious) and just outright stupid gameplay decisions that appear to have been created to break up the monotony of the shooting, and for the most part fail miserably. Graphically its quite nice.

It could always be connected to the world of Killzone without sharing the name. They show way too much excellence in vehicle design to go to waste, but the story of Killzone has been thoroughly mediocre through and through.

See above, UNCMark knows what's up. Shadowfall delivers on absolutely none of the promise of increased variety and variability in battles and goes to add shitty non-shooting segments to the mix. A very poor showing in their single player. Multiplayer is still butter, but it does lack a variety I would have liked... but everyone else hates vehicles.

It was a launch game I guess. There's so much going against them being any good. I am not surprised Killzone isn't that great. None of the launch games are really.

But there has to be a whole new creative team behind this IP, because they've been hiring for it for years. It's not the Killzone bunch.

I wouldn't mind seeing a darksun RPG kind of like fallout

Dark_Sun_-_Shattered_Lands_Coverart.png

Sorry for the bump but looking at GG recent job postings

I am guessing those dino creatures and other animals rumours are kinda true

https://twitter.com/guerrilla_jobs
Senior Creature Animator

Description
Guerrilla is looking for a senior in-game creature animator with extensive experience animating animal movement and behavior. As the successful candidate, you will create real-time animalistic movement with a focus on quality and realism, while co-operating with game designers and programmers to fulfill tasks according to the production plan.

Also maybe some Co-op involved?

Regular/Senior Designer

Description
We’re looking for a regular/senior designer with systems, mechanics, level, online, multiplayer or coop experience to work on our unannounced new IP. You’ll be part of a small team tasked with creating ground-breaking, innovative gameplay.

Coop Multiplayer? So maybe loot rpg ala diablo or borderlands? I was hoping it's more single player rpg like skyrim or mass effect. :(

yeah Co-op seems odd to me

I can see it being a jump in thing like Diablo/Destiny

I just hope the game doesn't require to be online

Edit: I think this online aspect could be thread worthy... maybe so I'll make one

Fbh

Good to know that they are trying to get a decent writing team.
Now get some new gameplay design talent and we are set.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Dinosaurs are so completely underutilized in gaming. They could be an awesome backbone for pretty much any genre.

They have even more utility than zombies. And you wouldn't have to deal with "oh wow another zombie game blah blah". Actually the opposite, as the dino-fever caused by those BF3-4 rumors demonstrate.

Revive Dino Crisis, people would flip. Add dinos to any shooter. It is automatically better. Substituent dinosaurs for any animal or enemy in any game and it's automatically better.

Do the thought experiment. It's demonstrably true.

Top Bottom