• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More evidence Guerrilla Games developing open world RPG?

I am glad they're getting the chance to work on a fresh IP without any baggage.

I've wondered how many of Killzone's repeated shortcomings (story, to a degree scenario/level design) have stemmed from an inability to find talent attracted to the IP.

I genuinely liked the world created in Killzone. I just hate modern FPS games.

GG have the tech and people to make something amazing here.

I think the opposite. GG have great tech people and zero talent for making games with a vision. KZ had some mildly interesting elements, but was aggressively dumb and cliched. What makes you think an open world from GG won't just rehash a bunch of tired Medieval tropes and focus on how pretty the world is?

BadAss2961

Why is story suddenly a major point of criticism when it comes to Killzone? A very small number of exceptions aside, the stories in FPS are all throwaway trash.

Anyway, I can't wait to see this project. Hopefully a new IP. Killzone is solid, at times fantastic. But something about it will always have the media keeping it underrated.

sublimit

Banned
I hope it's third person and i'd prefer the setting to be Fantasy.Or if it's Sci-Fi i hope the art direction is more like Destiny or Hawken than Mass Effect.

Sotha_Sil

Gonzales is one of Obsidian's best guys. Sucks for Obsidian to see him go, but Guerilla needs all the help it can get in this department.

I don't know about you guys, but this a big deal for me.

This is a mega deal for me. I loved the story in New Vegas, the Mr. House mystery kept me intrigued up until the moment you
meet him

I always thought Guerilla's storytelling was very poor, especially Killzone 3 (the story and dialogue ruined it entirely for me). They now have in-house writing talent, that is a valuable asset.

cametall

Maybe he was hired to actually include a story worth caring about in a GG game.

And this is from someone who likes the KZ series.

It will look great but play badly. You heard it here first!

Eh, Guerilla may not be innovative in terms of gameplay design, but their gameplay have always been solid.

What they're weak at is storytelling as well as level/game design, occasionally. They're a bit too inconsistent with the latter.

Derrick01

Banned
If GG is going to make an open world RPG, or any RPG for that matter, they need as many people with RPG experience as possible so I'm ok with this. Guerrilla's core team can't write for shit if the past Killzones (and reactions toward Shadow Fall) are any indication.

Now they need to hire some RPG gameplay designers too.

Showaddy

GG really do need all the help they can get when it comes to writing their stories and designing their characters, fair play to them they actually try but God they're terrible at it.

Edit: If they really are making a open world fantasy game I really hope it's in the vein of Borderlands where the main focus is on the gameplay and they keep the story and characters as simple as possible. Minimal dialogue would be great as well...

GG really do need all the help they can get when it comes to writing their stories and designing their characters, fair play to them they actually try but God they're terrible at it.

I think Guerilla would be pretty good at designing medieval armour... their Helghast design aesthetic translates very well into the FF Judge-style designs.

But characters, yeah.

Both them and SSM are rumored to be making open world RPGs

I hope SSM rumored game is Zelda based so that we could get a SciFi distopian game from GG and a fantasy from SSM

Showaddy

That's seems to be what we're getting though the devs are the other way round. GG seem to be doing a fantasy game and SSM are doing a Sci-Fi game.

He is the new lead writer too...

Hope GG you have received it!
That's seems to be what we're getting though the devs are the other way round. GG seem to be doing a fantasy game and SSM are doing a Sci-Fi game.
Either or would be fine it is just that those two studious are experts in their art style of their respected genres I just assumed they would just do what they are good at

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This makes me far more excited for a potential RPG from them. A lackluster story is forgivable in a shooter but not in an RPG. This is a big hire for them. Hopefully they have enough time for this project to cook. GG are at their best when they don't have to rush.

monlo

I would love to see a new direction for these guys. Writing is so important and I personally think their games lacked it.

stevil

Not to long ago there was an interview in a Dutch magazine with them and they said they were busy with a new IP. According to the magazine they walked past a room where the windows where blinded with papers, according to the guerrilla guy there a small group was busy with a new IP something totally different than Killzone. Since it was a small group I would say it will take a while before it will come out

sn00zer

So.

A MediEvil RPG?

MediEvil has the perfect backdrop to be an open world RPG.

Don't even play man.... not cool.....
Series would be ripe though for a coop hack n slash adventure game

- J - D -

I hope it's a futuristic rpg. I mentioned something similar in the KZ SF OT, but I want to be able to explore a city like Vekta City in a more involved manner, even if its not completely open world.

If these rumors pan out and the games turn out well, the PS4 could become the open world Rpg console much as the Xbox 360 was the shooter console last gen.

The thing I always wondered was: They have 200 guys at their main studio. And not one of them can write? I mean if I worked there and read the script for one of the Killzone games I would just go up to one of the producers and give him my own take on the story. It would probably be better.

drproton

I'd love to see what else their environment artists can do.

On the gameplay side, I enjoyed the feeling of power that came from using the OWL judiciously, especially on my second playthrough. It was similar to the feeling of playing the first Crysis game, but not nearly as open. Unfortunately the game was quite easy if you did learn to use your abilities effectively.

It seems with this pickup, the weakest part of their creative process can be addressed.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Pleasebegood pleasebegood pleasebegood pleasebegood...

I'm kind of down for whatever they do as far as setting/location design stuff is concerned but i will say that I was kind of getting into the idea of a GG fantasy themed game with the proper attention to physics/momentum/melee strike reactions all animated in glorious 1080 glory ...

Certain elements of their melee system would already look great as a "Rogue" type character assassination animations. Make the broadsword cut through/throw mother fuckers across the room.

But really.. whatever they come up with i'm hyped for. Will be great to see GG outside of their usual mold.

i-Lo

I just hope it isn't "fantasy" wrpg. I am absolutely gutted by the scarcity of worthwhile sci-fi WRPGs. So I hope it's the latter.

The thing I always wondered was: They have 200 guys at their main studio. And not one of them can write? I mean if I worked there and read the script for one of the Killzone games I would just go up to one of the producers and give him my own take on the story. It would probably be better.

That has always puzzled me too. Maybe the studio is not so democratic and there are only a couple of strong minded individuals who do the decision making, so no-one rocks the boat. The staff are probably internally thinking "God this story is crap" but it's not worth upsetting the boss over it.

People will always hate on GG even though they made the best MP shooter last gen and so far have the best this gen.

Agreed dude. Fack this stupid train of hate. KZ2 and Shadowfall are wonderful multiplayer games with endless replay value. The story in the new one is nowhere near as bad as people are saying. 98% of FPS games have a total shit story worse than KZSF even and I have about played them all. While a little vacant SF ain't even that bad it just doesn't do anything oscar worthy as if any videogame ever has.

That has always puzzled me too. Maybe the studio is not so democratic and there are only a couple of strong minded individuals who do the decision making, so no-one rocks the boat. The staff are probably internally thinking "God this story is crap" but it's not worth upsetting the boss over it.

Writing is a talent in games that more people need to get into. I am myself, as a poet nearing to get published, very interested in this prospect in my later 30s. The problem: most writers in games come from industry hook-ups and they are without a word almost all fucking terrible writers available for cheap.

There are usually one or two competent pieces of writing in videogames per yer. There is never even anything close to resembling a great novel or oscar film which is sad but it will improve. Hell, there isn't even anything like P. K. Dick or writing of that kind of inconsistent and slightly gamey caliber with an edge. Videogame writing is just pure horseshit.

BUT the time is near when this industry starts adopting more and more hollywood type schemes where writers become more prolific and needed to sell the vision which is now possible through the power of the new consoles.

GG is like Crytek. They need to hire talent to put those skills to good use.

True but we need to convince these industry suits that hiring only in their own industry is the problem or nothing will change.

As long as they see brofist COD morons and tweens adopting the story with glee--they don't as much anymore but still in droves--we aren't going to see a ton of change.

I do think it is quite irresponsible of game companies to slack on writing though. It's something that HAS to improve if these games ever want to be taken seriously. It's why I respect people like Cage despite his shortcomings. At least he is trying.

Xenon

I'm excited about what they can do with their graphic engine. I am a little skeptical about everything else. Just please don't let it be set in the Killzone universe.

Mentok

Banned
Our current times are really underutilized in RPGs. The only series that is still doing it is basically Persona and that has also a lot to do with why I like it so much. It would be great to see a western RPG that does it.

I agree with this 100%. Part of my excitement for P5 stems from it's potential setting. I hope this will be something fresh too. If this and the ND space game rumour turn out true, the PS4 will have some great new IPs coming out (hell, may even get me to buy a new console).

Top Bottom