• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Halo 3 PC Rumors - Microsoft/Frankie denying still

Status
Not open for further replies.

watership

Then could you please tell us what the hell is going on?

There's evidence directly conflicting with what you're saying here. So what's the deal? If you're going to side-step the PR and tell us straight up it's not happening, then why does Halo 3 keep showing up in places it shouldn't?

Sheesh. You guys should really take a step back and worry about Halo 3 PC, when or if you hear it announced. Not some random keystokes entered into some .ini file. Everyone seems to lose their shit when so many groups and companies can just add lines of text into their software with the name of the product. If I ran steam or any other vendor , I'd fuck everyone's shit up daily with random trolls in control files.

profile Area="UDX" Usage="Halo4" Notes="making neogaf go crazy"
profile Area="UDX" Usage="Banjo Vs Kratos: Friends 4 Life" Notes="This is 100 percent true because it's a txt line in our drivers"

Now that the hype has since long settled, was Halo 3 actually anywhere as near as good as people said it was?

Yes, my favorite multiplayer game this gen.

So I guess it's not happening. Frankie is just the messenger, I don't blame him. And he's not the douchey messenger like the one from 300, he's more like Samuel L. Jackson trying to be the shepard in Pulp Fiction. "In this case it's the latter, motha fucka!"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dammit, I got so excited. Games like GoW 2-3 and Halo 3 have the potential to look pretty damn good. It's a shame MS hates PC gamers.

I wouldn't consider the bubble burst just yet. Considering how he danced around Halo: CEA, Frankie pointing to Microsoft's "no plans" statement and claiming it's an outright denial strikes me as just him setting himself up to say at a later date, "News to me! I certainly didn't firmly deny the port!"

Demon Ice

Banned
Now that the hype has since long settled, was Halo 3 actually anywhere as near as good as people said it was?

I thought it was great. Definitely better than 2's, and I'd give it the edge over 4's as well. Had a ton of epic "Halo" moments, massive scale on quite a few of the battles (fighting 2 Scarabs at once was amazing), only major misstep IMO was the 'Cortana' level.

Halo 2 was held back by aging Xbox tech and had too disjointed of a campaign, and Halo 4 was COD-level linear.

derFeef

Sheesh. You guys should really take a step back and worry about Halo 3 PC, when or if you hear it announced. Not some random keystokes entered into some .ini file. Everyone seems to lose their shit when so many groups and companies can just add lines of text into their software with the name of the product. If I ran steam or any other vendor , I'd fuck everyone's shit up daily with random trolls in control files.

profile Area="UDX" Usage="Banjo Vs Kratos: Friends 4 Life" Notes="This is 100 percent true because it's a txt line in our drivers"

You would not have a job for very long, then.

Grief.exe

Would you put your job on the line for a simple troll? You would be accountable when journalists call your boss asking questions.

Doing something like this does not happen at a major corporation, especially since you can piss your partners off very easily with something like this.

EDIT: Beaten by derFeef

But the argument is these 'random keystokes entered into some .ini file' have showed up a couple times now.
Once in the steam registry.
and once in AMD's drivers.

Taken by themselves is usually good indicators a game is coming to PC, but both of them together is pretty hard to ignore.

I wouldn't consider the bubble burst just yet. Considering how he danced around Halo: CEA, Frankie pointing to Microsoft's statement and claiming it's an outright denial strikes me as just him setting himself to say at a later date, "News to me! I certainly didn't firmly deny the port!"

Agreed, no one has flat out denied anything.

Really, both Microsoft and Frankie have been sidestepping the issue, the constant 'denials' almost give me more hope.

wwm0nkey

And this is exactly why you dont.

Demon Ice

Banned
Why exactly is your excitement deflating?

Didn't he just outright deny it? Unless it's a different studio handling the port...

Give it to Nixxes! DX11 features!! Haha

I wouldn't consider the bubble burst just yet. Considering how he danced around Halo: CEA, Frankie pointing to Microsoft's "no plans" statement and claiming it's an outright denial strikes me as just him setting himself up to say at a later date, "News to me! I certainly didn't firmly deny the port!"

Perhaps. I shall remain cautiously optimistic.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
YES. Give it to me. Always wanted to play Halo 3, loved the first but only heard bad things about the sequel. I wonder what triggered Microsoft anyway? The success of Alan Wake? (which broke even on release day)

Grief.exe

Halo 1-3 were all so amazing.

I enjoyed ODST as well, would be awesome if they included Halo 3 + its 'expansion pack' all in one release.

Firefight is similar to Killing Floor, would be great for co-op with friends.

IHaveIce

Banned
there's a difference between carefully couching and outright denial. This is the latter.

SO you say a 100% NO!? There will be no Halo 3 on steam for at least 4 years? can you confirm this?

Well disappointing, so we don't get a good mp Halo it seems in the next time

Miker

YES. Give it to me. Always wanted to play Halo 3, loved the first but only heard bad things about the sequel. I wonder what triggered Microsoft anyway? The success of Alan Wake? (which broke even on release day)

Remedy self-published Alan Wake though, so I don't think that has any bearing on this.

To this day, it's my favorite Halo campaign, despite a couple of weak levels. I've lost count of how many times we've completed it on coop. In terms of scope, it does a number of things Reach and 4 didn't do.

Grief.exe

Question for Halo GAF

How would Halo play with a mouse and keyboard?

If everyone is that much more accurate and is capable of faster aiming, but the movement speed stays at the same lumbering pace.

I feel like a decent Sniper could lock down the map easily.

I watched this video of Halo 1 PC and I can see what people are talking about with the bad netcode.
There are a couple shots in there where he is way in front of his target and he registers a hit. I can see him actually miss a couple times because he is trying to anticipate the netcode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhiFTKxHDg

Odds are pretty good that he'd know what's Microsoft's Halo plans are. The question is whether he'll comment directly on this AMD find.

Yes, however as an employee of 343 it's possible that 343 doesn't have any plans of releasing Halo 1-3 on the PC. That doesn't mean another studio doesn't have plans.

He works for 343 bro lol

But still I think its just weird to have it pop up on the Steam DB and then now a month after have drivers for it pop up on AMD.

See above.

Question for Halo GAF

If everyone is that much more accurate and is capable of faster aiming, but the movement speed stays at the same lumbering pace.

M/K all day every day.

Given how much I suck at FPS MP it would not make that much of a difference.

Like I said. It all depends on the Aim Assist.

wwm0nkey

Question for Halo GAF

I watched this video of Halo 1 PC and I can see what people are talking about with the bad netcode.
There are a couple shots in there where he is way in front of his target and he registers a hit. I can see him actually miss a couple times because he is trying to anticipate the netcode.

You get descoped when shot at.

IHaveIce

Banned
Question for Halo GAF

You mean with Aim assist disabled of course right? Mouse and keyboard will probably be at a advantage, depends on the aim assist for the controller input.

With aim assist the mouse and keyboard is uber broken, I saw a video how somebody played on the xbox with an xmb connecter( I believe that is how it is called) he destroyed everybody, it was almost like an aim bot.

there's a difference between carefully couching and outright denial. This is the latter.

RuYH0.gif

The whole situation is strange. I'm assuming it was planned at some point in the last year or so but got scrapped. It's just weird that its entry in the Steam Database was updated recently, and now this.

Oh well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Remedy self-published Alan Wake though, so I don't think that has any bearing on this.

I know they self published. Doesn't change the fact that old 360 ports can do well on PC, which is the point I was trying to make :)

Shadders

Yes, however as an employee of 343 it's possible that 343 doesn't have any plans of releasing Halo 1-3 on the PC. That doesn't mean another studio doesn't have plans.

See above.

Stinkles is the Franchise Director for Halo, it's really unlikely that it'd be in development and he not know about it. Presumably he'd have had to sign off on it.

BUT, I still think it's happening, these denials are one thing, but there's too much smoke now for there to be no fire.

Oh man, this would be awesome.

If I had one request it would be that they port it to the nextbox as well. But Halo 3 on PC+ mods would be amazing..

iavi

RuYH0.gif

The whole situation is strange. I'm assuming it was planned at some point in the last year or so but got scrapped. It's just weird that its entry in the Steam Database was updated recently, and now this.

Oh well.

The driver mentions showed up in the Catalyst 13.3 beta, which was released only days ago, and isn't even done. If it was an old, old build that's no longer being worked on, it should have shown up in some form a LONG time ago.

wwm0nkey

For controller support? Many players will give up on it because they won't hit any shots like they used to on the other Halo games.

I think Halo 2 only has it when you have your controller in it has auto aim.

Due to that and the horrible KB+M controls using a controller is the way to go in Halo 2 PC

Demon Ice

Banned
Question for Halo GAF

Yeah, sniping was almost painfully easy with a mouse + keyboard. At least there's no console style aim assistance, but the movement speed / lack of scope sway combined with brightly colored targets make things pretty simple.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think Halo 2 only has it when you have your controller in it has auto aim.

Due to that and the horrible KB+M controls using a controller is the way to go in Halo 2 PC

Yep, that is how I meant it. Controller will have aim assist, KB/M should have none, than it would depend how strong the aim assist for the controller is to say which one would be clearly better.

Halo 2 Vista .. oh god, if you moved the mouse too fast my fps dropped so hard.

Grief.exe

As much as I want this to be true, he's the franchise director IIRC. If that guy isn't in the loop, no one is.

His exact quote was, 'as far as we are concerned..'

Halo 3 port would not be developed in house by 343i, they are working on Halo 5 and supporting Halo 4.

The port is being done by another company, much like Halo 1 PC and AoE II HD. As far as 343 is concerned, there is no Halo 3 port.

Its PR speak, meaning nothing. Not an outright denial.

Halo 3 port would not be developed in house by 343i, they are working on Halo 5 and supporting Halo 4.

The port is being done by another company, much like Halo 1 PC and AoE II HD. As far as 343 is concerned, there is no Halo 3 port.

This.

We need to be strong.

Grief.exe

There aren't many other outlandish ones left over besides KOF and Halo series

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (Duke Nukem 3D+) Released
Super House of Dead Ninjas Released
Dyad Official
Retro/Grade Official
Angry Birds Space Released
La-Mulana Official. Test App has achivements
The Splatters
Octodad: Dadliest Catch Beta
Fez Official. Test App has achivements
LucasArts Test App
Fast and Furious 6 Test App has achivements
Lococycle
Yogventures!
Hardware
Hardware (Demo)
Cut the Rope
Shadow Warrior Complete
Hardware (VIP)
Hardware (Internal)
THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII
Resident Evil: Revelations Official. Test App has achivements
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH
THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH
Quantum Conundrum 2
Halo 3
Halo 2
Halo: Combat Evolved
The Witness
Angry Birds Seasons
Second Life

Might as well just make Fez official, just showed up in the Steam Store

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224760/

Shadders

Ooooh I get it.

It's not coming to PC, but it is coming to Steam.

The next Xbox will not have backwards compatibility, but will support Steam. These games will be on Steam, but only playable on the Next Xbox.

Waaghals

Maybe this has something to do with bC on nextbox. Isnt it going to be AMD gpu?

It's a driver profile for AMD based cards.
Drivers are made to ease the OS' interaction with many the hundred different graphic cards.
Consoles do not use drivers, at least not in the conventional sense, because there is only one kind of GPU in the X720.

So it has to pc-related.

Wasn't his exact quote "Steam thing is bunk as far as our stuff is concerned anyway". I assume they would count the Halo franchise as their "stuff".

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47300963&postcount=12245

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom