• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Halo 3 PC Rumors - Microsoft/Frankie denying still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Wasn't his exact quote "Steam thing is bunk as far as our stuff is concerned anyway". I assume they would count the Halo franchise as their "stuff".

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47300963&postcount=12245

'His stuff' refers to 343.

343 would not be working on the port, so it isn't 'his stuff'

Just PR speak, doesn't mean anything.

I'm calling 3rd party on this one. Gearbox again?

Most definitely.

I wonder if its Hidden Path again.

Deadbeat

Banned
What was the stuff they said for AoE 2 before it came to steam? Because it could be an interesting parallel.

I think if MS is intelligent they will release it during Steam's Summer Sale.

legacyzero

Banned
I'm also willing to bet MS is saving this baby for the Durango showing.

"Here's how we're making things awesome-er on PC!"

*announces Halo and Gears Trilogies in steam.*

:p

The driver mentions showed up in the Catalyst 13.3 beta, which was released only days ago, and isn't even done. If it was an old, old build that's no longer being worked on, it should have shown up in some form a LONG time ago.

Yeah, it just makes it even stranger. I'd love to stay positive, but Frankie outright denying the port just made my hype die. He could easily have ignored the thread after MS made an official statement.

I dunno, I'd love it if people in this thread are correct but I'm not gonna get my hopes up anymore.

Grief.exe

Yeah, it just makes it even stranger. I'd love to stay positive, but Frankie outright denying the port just made my hype die. He could easily have ignored the thread after MS made an official statement.

I dunno, I'd love it if people in this thread are correct but I'm not gonna get my hopes up anymore.

DON'T BELIEVE FRANKIE'S LIES

HALO 3: BELIEVE

Despite their recently acquired reputation with Alien: Coloniel Marines, I really would love to see Gearbox handling Halo 3 PC.

Halo PC and Custom Edition were handled by them and needless to say, they were great ports that ran on a wide range of hardware and were pretty damn superior to the Xbox version. Especially Custom Edition, which easily rivals the amount of hours I spent on Halo 2 with Xbox Live, the custom maps that the community made were amazing.

Regardless, I just want to play a version of Halo 3 PC's online that's alive again, it's easily the best in the series by far and I would love for it to have a port that gives it the justice that it deserves, especially if it runs on a wide range of hardware.

Exuro

Hidden Path is my choice. CS:GO was pretty solid and AoE II HD has lots of Steamworks support. A fully featured Steamworks version of Halo 3 would be pretty amazing.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Halo Triology coming to Steam?

I played the second one but I felt that it didn't mean anything. Would love to see them all released on Steam. Would buy all of them.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Despite their recently acquired reputation with Alien: Coloniel Marines, I really would love to see Gearbox handling Halo 3 PC.

Halo PC and Custom Edition were handled by them and needless to say, they were great ports that ran on a wide range of hardware and were pretty damn superior to the Xbox version. Especially Custom Edition, which easily rivals the amount of hours I spent on Halo 2 with Xbox Live, the custom maps that the community made were amazing.

Regardless, I just want to play a version of Halo 3 PC's online that's alive again, it's easily the best in the series by far and I would love for it to have a port that gives it the justice that it deserves, especially if it runs on a wide range of hardware.

Fuck that, it would be a complete waste of money. We have seen some incredible fucking ports come out of Squeenix/Eidos/Capcom/Sega and they didn't have to blow a load on a full size dev house.

Alan Wake went to a miniscule dev for the PC port and it was phenomenal work top-to-bottom. And they made a return on the investment in 48 hours.

Grief.exe

Or could mean that at one point it was coming to Steam, but its not anymore. That doesn't mean the port doesn't exist though.

This is a valid argument.

Usually a registry entry means a game was planned to come to Steam at one point, that development could be abandoned at one point though.

FFVII and FFVIII are the most famous of these, added to the registry a long time ago, and abandoned. Recently, this has picked up and even FFVIII has achievements now.

So a release of Halo 3 could have been planned, but then ultimately abandoned.

I would argue that Microsoft's strategy toward the PC has had a fundamental shift recently.

Dropping of GFWL entirely, publishing exlusive indie ports to Steam under Steamworks, publishing their old back catalog to Steamwork (AoE II, RoN, etc).

As has been point out the driver information is brand new, something that was dropped would have shown up last year.

And this is the counter argument.

Why have we seen test drivers appear?
Why has the registry entry continually been updated?

IHaveIce

Banned
Using 2 times "currently" already sounds weird.

Also "no plans" was also said about AOE.

But funny how this rumour business works, bad rumours about the Durango will likely be true like it seems.

Good rumours like Halo PC ports will be shot down lol.

Karl2177

A lot of the Halo PC patches were done by Roger Wolfson at Bungie.

deleted

Next up, Gears 2 and 3? Or is there a specific reason that the first one was ported but not the others?

The first one was ported while MS was pushing a paid GFWL. Game came late and supported a ridiculous service. That sure killed Epics/MS interest and further ports.

I'm in 'team real' btw. MS is sitting on a goldmine of old assets - PC gaming is strongest during the transition period during console generations, piracy is far less a concern since steam sales are a thing and Age of Empires II HD with Steamworks proves that they are considering weird ideas and embracing steam.
Add to that MS Flight simulator showing up in the steam registry and stuff. There will be a few surprising announcements from MS regarding PC this year is my guess. If Halo 3 works out for them they could open the floodgates of old ports, without harming the 360 whatsoever and providing some sort of BC for their legacy titles.

Grief.exe

Using 2 times "currently" already sounds weird.

Also "no plans" was also said about AOE.

But funny how this rumour business works, bad rumours about the Durango will likely be true like it seems.

Good rumours like Halo PC ports will be shot down lol.

Do you have a source for 'currently no plans for AoE II?'

That continued statement by Microsoft could almost seem like a confirmation.

I need to speak to myself from 2007 to try and get hyped for this... Seriously, I was a fan of Halo 3 on the 360 back then, but is this really a big deal now? Am I missing something?

It's a driver profile for AMD based cards.
Drivers are made to ease the OS' interaction with many the hundred different graphic cards.
Consoles do not use drivers, at least not in the conventional sense, because there is only one kind of GPU in the X720.

So it has to pc-related.

Figured I was wrong, thanks for giving an informed response. Expected to be made to look like an idiot, I love it when gaming GAF surprises.

I need to speak to myself from 2007 to try and get hyped for this... Seriously, I was a fan of Halo 3 on the 360 back then, but is this really a big deal now? Am I missing something?

Considering PS3 owners can play it on a PC it would be a big deal to those who never owned 360.

wwm0nkey

Halo: Reach was not very good thanks to bloom and movement and Halo 4 added soooo much clutter on something that is great at its base. Halo 3 was really the last great Halo game to some people.

Grief.exe

• Further proof of GFWL dying.
  • Could be a sign of things to come, Microsoft has a great catalog of PC franchises that aren't available for download.
  • Modern Halo game coming to PC, Halo 2 was somewhat broken, Halo 1 is very old and has poor netcode.
  • Halo is awesome, would be great with M/KB, Workshop, dedicated servers, no mouse acceleration

GrizzNKev

Banned
Sheesh. You guys should really take a step back and worry about Halo 3 PC, when or if you hear it announced. Not some random keystokes entered into some .ini file. Everyone seems to lose their shit when so many groups and companies can just add lines of text into their software with the name of the product. If I ran steam or any other vendor , I'd fuck everyone's shit up daily with random trolls in control files.

profile Area="UDX" Usage="Halo4" Notes="making neogaf go crazy"
profile Area="UDX" Usage="Banjo Vs Kratos: Friends 4 Life" Notes="This is 100 percent true because it's a txt line in our drivers"

Dear goodness, silly old me. Oh my.

My apologies for being a ravenous Halo fanboy who would give anything to have his favorite game of all time on his favorite platform.

Should I not ask real questions to the person capable of answering them?

Really though, I'm betting on this just being Frankie doing his job. It's just how Mircosoft is. They're going to consistently deny the existence of something until they've officially announced it. They don't tease or hint.

Sponge

Banned
Lots of Microsoft games seem to be rumored/coming to Steam lately!

FEZ was finally confirmed, and now this is brought up again. I guess that's not lots, though.

I pray Microsoft keeps doing this with some of their other XBLA titles. Not to sound like I'm begging, but I'd kill to have Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie on my PC. (Especially since I can't get Tooie's multiplayer to work on an emulator).

Grief.exe

Lots of Microsoft games seem to be rumored/coming to Steam lately!

FEZ was finally confirmed, and now this is brought up again. I guess that's not lots, though.

I pray Microsoft keeps doing this with some of their other XBLA titles. Not to sound like I'm begging, but I'd kill to have Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie on my PC. (Especially since I can't get Tooie's multiplayer to work on an emulator).

Fez was officially put up on Steam today

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224760

orznge

Banned
Sheesh. You guys should really take a step back and worry about Halo 3 PC, when or if you hear it announced. Not some random keystokes entered into some .ini file. Everyone seems to lose their shit when so many groups and companies can just add lines of text into their software with the name of the product. If I ran steam or any other vendor , I'd fuck everyone's shit up daily with random trolls in control files.

profile Area="UDX" Usage="Halo4" Notes="making neogaf go crazy"
profile Area="UDX" Usage="Banjo Vs Kratos: Friends 4 Life" Notes="This is 100 percent true because it's a txt line in our drivers"

lol how about you bet your account on it to prove to us that you believe what you're saying

Grief.exe

lol how about you bet your account on it to prove to us that you believe what you're saying

No one would bet their career for a troll attempt.

You would be held accountable when journalists and partners start calling asking for explanations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom