• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Halo 3 PC Rumors - Microsoft/Frankie denying still

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocSeuss

This means nothing if I can't change the FOV. It's fucking sickening in H3 on Xbox (expected), playing with that same FOV at my desk would make me puke my fucking innards out.

Flawless Widescreen or Widescreen Fixer should handle it if nobody else does.

Well, it'd be stupid for Microsoft not to implement modding. Modding's the reason for the success of many PC games, like Minecraft, or any Valve game.

I'm not sure it would be stupid when it comes to one of the best-selling video game franchises on the planet, but yeah, it'd perform a lot better if they included a MP mode.

I mean Halo 3 is already 6 years old, I read a thread the other day on GAF about how 'Uncharted 2 holds up surprisingly well!'

Uncharted 2 came out in late 2009...

To be fair, Uncharted 2 gets old pretty fast. :p

GavinGT

Banned
Well that's what Steamworks is though.

Is it? All those non-Valve games appear to just be making use of features like matchmaking, automatic game updates, downloadable content, and server-side save and setting storage. And none of the literature says anything about such a stipulation.

Loading a game up on GFWL and having Steam pop up in the background to handle certain features is quite different from effectively giving the customer two copies of a game. It's not like they're including a second code you can just give away to a friend.

Grief.exe

Is it? All those non-Valve games appear to just be making use of features like matchmaking, automatic game updates, downloadable content, and server-side save and setting storage. And none of the literature says anything about such a stipulation.

Loading a game up on GFWL and having Steam pop up in the background to handle certain features is quite different from effectively giving the customer two copies of a game. It's not like they're including a second code you can just give away to a friend.

Well it depends.

Some games use Steam-Features (The Witcher 2, Max Payne 3, Batman: AC), but they aren't Steamworks

And some games are actually Steamworks (Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 6, Dishonored).

Steamworks games can be bought on places like Amazon, GMG, Gamersgate, or even the developers website. No profit goes to Valve from these sales and they are automatically activated on Steam. This is technically the definition of Steamworks.

Steamworks on PS3 would lose publishers money. They would sell a copy on PS3, then that copy would be activated on Steam, without any more money being exchanged.

Take this example, someone buys Bioshock Infinite on PS3, they decide they are tired of the poor framerate, low resolution, and muddy textures, they turn around and activate that product on Steam.
2K just lost a potential sale.

Again, public corporation tend to shy away from absolutely anything that would affect their bottom line.

GavinGT

Banned
Well it depends.

Some games use Steam-Features (The Witcher 2, Max Payne 3, Batman: AC), but they aren't Steamworks

And some games are actually Steamworks (Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 6, Dishonored).

Steamworks games can be bought on places like Amazon, GMG, Gamersgate, or even the developers website. No profit goes to Valve from these sales and they are automatically activated on Steam. This is technically the definition of Steamworks.

Steamworks on PS3 would lose publishers money. They would sell a copy on PS3, then that copy would be activated on Steam, without any more money being exchanged.

Take this example, someone buys Bioshock Infinite on PS3, they decide they are tired of the poor framerate, low resolution, and muddy textures, they turn around and activate that product on Steam.
2K just lost a potential sale.

Again, public corporation tend to shy away from absolutely anything that would affect their bottom line.

I would think they could set up some sort of partial Steam activation wherein users can still make use of Steamworks features but without actually having the game playable through Steam independently.

The missing part there is steam coming on the 720 as well. They have already covered most of their BC needs already with these three games, and a new Call of Duty at launch will take care of the rest.

Would explain this move plus the Sony early reveal if they got wind of it.

[tinfoil hat]Xbox 720 IS the Valve Steambox[/tinfoil hat]

Grief.exe

I really feel like I need to go ahead and make a general PC gaming thread, because there's a lot of this miscellaneous stuff that people would find super useful. I worry that it would run into megathread territory, though.

Ya thats the only problem.

Questions can usually go into Steam thread or build a PC thread and they will be answered though.

DocSeuss

Ya thats the only problem.

Questions can usually go into Steam thread or build a PC thread and they will be answered though.

It's more like the "what kind of games should I get?" "my game isn't working because I didn't know about verifying steam caches" "why do I get a headache when playing valve games?" kind of thing. It's not like we have a thread that tells people how to fix FOV problems or anything.

I think I can pull it off, and provide a link to all the other threads (screenshot, downsampling, 3D, build a pc, laptop gaf, etc), but I'm not positive.

Syriel

Wasn't impressed with the game on 360, but a PC release could be much improved and breathe some life into the multiplayer.

They should let Epic bring the rest of the Gears series while they're at it.

I expect this to drop as a HD collection on PC after the next generation of consoles have launched.

Microsoft won't do it while the Xbox 360 is a viable platform, but once the new consoles are out and sales have dropped off both a "Halo Franchise" collection and a "Gears Franchise" collection would be quite attractive for PC releases, especially for Gears.

Polish up the development builds, add a spiffy PC front end, expose all of the console options in nice menus and you're done. It could be assigned to a junior team and flipped around with minimal resources.

Not releases is likely very much a business decision rather than a technical one.

Grief.exe

I expect this to drop as a HD collection on PC after the next generation of consoles have launched.

Microsoft won't do it while the Xbox 360 is a viable platform, but once the new consoles are out and sales have dropped off both a "Halo Franchise" collection and a "Gears Franchise" collection would be quite attractive for PC releases, especially for Gears.

Polish up the development builds, add a spiffy PC front end, expose all of the console options in nice menus and you're done. It could be assigned to a junior team and flipped around with minimal resources.

Not releases is likely very much a business decision rather than a technical one.

Plus it wouldn't exactly be difficult to port to the next Xbox once it is on PC. Both are running x86/x64

Grief.exe

Just got the KOF XIII achivements

{
"game": {
"gameName": "ValveTestApp222940",
"gameVersion": "13",
"availableGameStats": {
"stats": [
{
"name": "stat_1",
"defaultvalue": 0,
"displayName": "STAS_1"
},
{
"name": "stat_3",
"displayName": "STAS_3"
},
{
"name": "AverageSpeed",
"displayName": "TIME"
}
]
"achievements": [
{
"name": "NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_2_0",
"displayName": "NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_2_0",
"hidden": 0,
"description": "NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_2_0",
"icon": "http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/apps/222940/f89ccb7e2810a014e9cb1bbe377eeedf6de913a7.jpg",
"icongray": "http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/apps/222940/d26903a3b969bd2305b68b03108c03dff6d4d4ca.jpg"
},
{
"name": "NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_2_1",
"displayName": "NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_2_1",
"hidden": 0,
"description": "NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_2_1",
"icon": "http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/apps/222940/",
"icongray": "http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/apps/222940/"
}
]

}
}
}

Looks like the list is becoming more and more true.

TrantaLocked

Neo Member
I would play the hell out of Halo 3 on PC. I grew up with Halo and I had the most fun with multiplayer in 3.

Here is what I want to see happen:

Valve uses steam to turn Halo 3 PC into a massive hype train. Front page banner, reasonable price, pre-order bonuses, such as free copies of Halo 1/2, and new PC-only features such as mod support, full HD textures, and bonus maps from newer Halo games. Get as many people on the train and we will have a huge community playing Halo 3 on steam. It would be beautiful.

Kibbles

Yeah, it just makes it even stranger. I'd love to stay positive, but Frankie outright denying the port just made my hype die. He could easily have ignored the thread after MS made an official statement.

I dunno, I'd love it if people in this thread are correct but I'm not gonna get my hopes up anymore.

He said as far as 343i is concerned, it's likely outsourced. Unless I missed another denial post.

S0N0S

Despite the denials, I'm still confident that Halo game(s) are coming to Steam. I suppose they still don't know if they'll release what they have, but why would you have entries in the Steam database if you weren't actively developing ports?

Seems to me they might well be stirring up for some kind of "Halo 3 HD" for the next Xbox and it just makes sense to release it across more platforms given the new system is likely to be even more like a PC than generations passed.
CookTrain! Welcome to GAF, man.

Here's hoping for a good Halo 3 port that isn't 8-exclusive.

Grief.exe

grief where did you see crimson skies?

Hasn't shown up on the database or anything, I was just mentioning amazing MGS franchises that have the potential to release on PC.

Hmm. It left things open, but it feels closer to denial territory.

Lately, Microsoft's answer of, 'we currently have no plans' is almost a confirmation.

Happened with Halo 1: CEA
Happened with AoE II HD
Happening again with Halo 3

It remains to be seen, but this is definitely a side step and not a flat out denial, even if you ignore Microsoft's past answers.

mcliftblah.gif

Believe

I'm so pleased this looks like it's going to pan out. At a high resolution free from jaggies, I think this will actually look surprisingly decent.

Halo 3 is a lot of fun, and will probably be one of my go to shooters when I don't feel like taking things too seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom