• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Final Fantasy VIII coming to Steam?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Interesting, but it won't change that the FFVIII port is fucking terrible.

I love the game on PS1, though. Junction system is exploitable blah blah blah fuck you. That's what makes it awesome. First disc of that game is still some of the best RPGing ever.

Yuripaw

Banned
Why only put FFVIII on steam, but not FFVII? =/ I seriously hate FFVIII, and would much rather have a better FF game...

Karuto

Added in 2010 http://www.rpgsite.net/articles/294-final-fantasy-vii-and-viii-are-on-steam--but-will-likely-never-see-release

MormaPope

Banned
Why only put FFVIII on steam, but not FFVII? =/ I seriously hate FFVIII, and would much rather have a better FF game...

Why does XBLA not have FF VII, FF VIII, or FF IX? Square Enix is sorta poopy when it comes to releasing older Final Fantasy's, besides the PSN/iOS releases.

FF Tactics in HD with achievements? Instant buy.

But didn't they already say they didn't want to put Final Fantasy VII, which has already been ported to Windows 7 for several months now, on Steam. And instead draw people to their Square Enix store.

Foolish move, but that's what the people on twitter speaking for them seem to have said. Or at least, that it isn't planned to be on Steam. Which is likely market speak for "we don't want to give a share to Valve. We want to compete with Valve". Which is silly because they cannot and they have far too tiny of a library and a shoddy store to do that. Also, The Last Remnant and the Eidos library already being on Steam.

But hey, again, for whatever reason, they already said "no plans" for Final Fantasy VII.

Also, Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII have been in the Steam database for a while now. So this data might be old.

iavi

Square decided to make their own fucking Steam just for 7.

Think it's pretty safe to say that if this comes, that FF7 entry in the Steam database that lays dormant will come along.

Squeenix probably wanted to leverage the 7 name for their shop for a bit, but I doubt that was as profitable as hoped.

Other than the super angsty squall and the bizarre twist in the story, this game was a quite a bit of fun.

I will spent 20+ hours playing triple triad next time I play it...

I thought the draw system was interesting, and the monsters leveling up along with you made the game interesting (if you didn't completely abuse the draw/junction system).

There's no way they're going to put one and not the other on Steam.

If this is new data at all and not some old data dug up that Square changed their mind in putting through, then it should be a fairly strong sign that Final Fantasy VII will be coming to Steam.

Takao

Banned
Why does XBLA not have FF VII, FF VIII, or FF IX? Square Enix is sorta poopy when it comes to releasing older Final Fantasy's, besides the PSN/iOS releases.

FF VII PC has existed for like 15 years.

FF VII (VIII, and IX) Xbox anything does not exist.

Kariodude

Banned

Your post is confusing since VIII is vastly superior to VII. /opinions

But I doubt this is true or they would have put VII on Steam. I do wonder why achievements come up for games that aren't coming to Steam though.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
FFVIII? Really? IMO, it's the series at its lowest. Terriible cast (Squall and Rinoa make me sick) and story... I think I had more fun playing Triple Triad than FFVIII itself :(

Yuripaw

Banned

Well...that part's different. These PC versions of FFVII and VIII already existed in some form. Just like the PSN versions of the FF games did. They're basically ISOs on PSN...no extra work needed other than making sure they're compatible with the emulators. A xbla version of those games would require reprogramming, and reworking them to be playable on new hardware.

I agree, it'd be a great idea if they were on XBLA...but Square-enix is kinda stupid, and lazy..soo..

Storm360

Achievements must be fairly recent, I checked within minutes of the App ID being updated (around 15 hours ago) and there was nothing on the achievement side

MormaPope

Banned
Well...that part's different. These PC versions of FFVII and VIII already existed in some form. Just like the PSN versions of the FF games did. They're basically ISOs on PSN...no extra work needed other than making sure they're compatible with the emulators. A xbla version of those games would require reprogramming, and reworking them to be playable on new hardware.

I agree, it'd be a great idea if they were on XBLA...but Square-enix is kinda stupid, and lazy..soo..

I already knew that FF VII and FF VIII were on PC, it just makes no sense why they've skipped both Steam and XBLA for so long. And you're also right that it would take some effort for them to run on the 360, but how strenuous of a process that is, is pretty unknown.

Castlevania SOTN seemed to be easy to port over, and it was pretty successful in the early days of XBLA. Putting work into a FF VII port for XBLA would pay off well, for how much work they would have to put into the XBLA version.

Top Bottom