• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Final Fantasy VIII coming to Steam?

Spongebob

Banned
Best music, setting, and art direction.

Worst everything else.

5.jpg
No.
Terrible looking gaming tbh. FF VII and IX hold up much better IMO.

One of the best final fantasy games there is. Truly worthy.
Absolutely hated it, but hey, tastes are tastes I guess.
Eh, it is easily the worst Final Fantasy of that generation for me.

It wasn't just that I liked old, anime Square Enix better. But my criticisms of Final Fantasy VIII are largely the same as the ones mentioned in the SquallDies theory website. The story of the first disc of Final Fantasy VIII is a pretty solid political conflict. And while the post disc one story isn't without merits, there are too many cheap plot twists and devices that simply feel uncanny and jarring.

It's overall decent enough, however, and there are various interesting activities to take part in. If one is in the mood for Japanese live action school drama meets fantasy RPG Final Fantasy VIII can satisfied an itch. But it is easily the worst for me of the generation while Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy Tactics are easily the first and second best.

That being said, worst does not mean "not worth playing". It does have many things going for it and it does scratch an itch for many people. Again, it makes me feel like I'm watching a Japanese school drama but with a Final Fantasy flair. Final Fantasy VIII could easily be a j-drama in many ways. A rather generic and somewhat mediocre schoolkid j-drama, but a j-drama nonetheless.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
  • Draw 100 Magic
  • Found Obel Lake's secret
  • SeeD First Salary payment
  • Unlock GF: Diablos
  • Unlock GF: Ifrit
  • Unlock GF: Quezacotl
  • Unlock GF: Shiva
  • Unlock GF: Siren

Is that it? Or just the first "disc?" Seems rather easy to 100% unless this is still a work in progress?

Anyway, I'd rebuy it for the achievements if it wasn't the crap PC port it was in the 90's. Which, going by FF7's "re-release," is most likely what is going to happen: crap PC port re-released.

Honestly, if Square (and other companies) could add the achievement code to the PSN versions of their stuff, I'd probably bend over backwards collecting them all. No joke. T_T

Yes.

Terrible looking gaming tbh.

Now? Yes. 1999? No.

FF VII and IX hold up much better IMO.

Hahahahahaha, no they haven't. FF7 is N64-launch era blocky graphics and looks just as bad as FF8. FF9 is a stretch but the art-design kinda aged it as bad as FF8. None of them look good now a days but FF8's art direction was MILES ahead of either of those titles in 1998-2001.

Seda

Some fun .....uh....set pieces?

And perhaps an amusing game to exploit the junction system.

And thats about it.

GAMERG0D

• Draw 100 Magic
  • Found Obel Lake's secret
  • SeeD First Salary payment
  • Unlock GF: Diablos
  • Unlock GF: Ifrit
  • Unlock GF: Quezacotl
  • Unlock GF: Shiva
  • Unlock GF: Siren

Is that it? Or just the first "disc?" Seems rather easy to 100% unless this is still a work in progress?
You'd think there would be an achievement for clearing the first disc. I bet they're just testing the achievements before adding more. All of those can be obtained in the first disc anyway.

RedSwirl

Makes sense maybe. I heard that Square Enix did try to get FFVII on Steam (long before they re-released it themselves), but couldn't get through cert because they couldn't get it stable on Windows Vista or 7. VIII did have a PC version but I don't know if it fared any better than VII's.

Don't now why they don't just give the two games to GOG.

Comet

Shocked that it's only VIII. If it were VIII and IX that would lead me to believe that maybe there's some deal with a remake or a reworked version of FFVII. Man, one could hope.

They've received updates recently.
Then I guess Square changed their mind. They've gone from "no plans" to evidence of plans.

I'm glad they've changed their mind. The Square website is always changing and unreliable(changes are good, but with Square it is confusing and often a downgrade as much as an upgrade). And has far too small of a library to really entice people. Steam will get them much better exposure.

Final Fantasy VII in 2013 is not Minecraft. People will not flock to their store just for a copy.

Maybe if they had as much of a presence on the PC as Blizzard, yes. But they don't.

MormaPope

Banned
The setting and world in FF VII is why I loved it so much, pretty modern in most ways but plenty of environments also felt like they were from an older era.

Besides that the cast of characters is really diverse, combat is simple but extremely satisfying, and some of the story bits/set pieces were amazing. Really felt like a grand adventure around the world.

Karuto

Really?

Couldn't Square Enix port over the PC version or would that still be no good?

You're trying to build a case for effort to be put into remaking old Japanese PlayStation Final Fantasy games for an Xbox console where many of the console owners either don't have memories of those games or those who do own a PlayStation console as well. It doesn't seem like they would go to that much effort. Just my opinion, anyway.

Steam is seriously missing some FF love. Just put them all on there Square. 1 through 9. We'll let you ignore the rest if you want to say it's too hard.

suzu

I loved FFVIII. It's definitely worth playing.

The only thing I found awful was Draw and maybe the last disc. lol.

MormaPope

Banned
You're trying to build a case for effort to be put into remaking old Japanese PlayStation Final Fantasy games for an Xbox console where many of the console owners either don't have memories of those games or those who do own a PlayStation console as well. It doesn't seem like they would go to that much effort. Just my opinion, anyway.

That's a pretty big assumption, Castlevania SOTN did extremely well on XBLA and the audience range for that franchise is a lot smaller than FF's.

For how little they possibly would have to do for the XBLA version, they could make pretty easy money.

Spongebob

Banned
Excuse me, what?

You think that FF7 holds up better than FF8?

I don't...I can't...

I mean, FF7 is my favorite game of all time and even I can't go that far.
For me personally even though VIII's graphics are more advanced, VII's artstyle makes it more visually appealing.

GAMERG0D

That's a pretty big assumption, Castlevania SOTN did extremely well on XBLA and the audience range for that franchise is a lot smaller than FF's.

For how little they possibly would have to do for the XBLA version, they could make pretty easy money.
A big thing that would hamper the release is the size restriction on XBLA. I'm not sure how it compares to VIII's size though.

Karuto

You must also remember that by releasing on PSN, that allowed it to be playing on both the PS3 and the PSP. They had a hell of a lot more money selling it that way than on the Xbox 360 which has always been on life support in Japan. Could happen someday, but I don't think even Microsoft cares enough to assist Square Enix in pursuing that.

Jawmuncher

I loved FFVIII. It's definitely worth playing.

The only thing I found awful was Draw and maybe the last disc. lol.

Honestly if they game didn't have the Draw system I would love it just as much as 7 and 9.
Its definitely either a love it or hate it system.

With that said personally Square who seems to be making a big effort into getting into the PC scene. Should go and just start slowly releasing all the FF games on PC. 1-8 wouldn't be hard for them to do and with the success of those, they can decide whether to delve into the rest. I'm assuming that it would be purely profit, but then again they'd probably need to use outside studios or else we'd be dealing with a FFXHD situation.

I played through FFVII for the first time a year or so ago, and I enjoyed it for the most part. That prompted me to try to get into FFVIII, and I just couldn't make it past like 2 hours. Squall is a horrible lead character, almost all of the side characters are bad, the "emo" vibe to everything is a bit repellent, the game looked uglier than FFVII due to the art direction, and the music was more boring. I was hoping Spoony would play through the entire game just so I could see what the game was about, because I know I'll never get through it. It is a slog.

Excuse me, what?

I don't...I can't...

There's nothing strange about this claim at all. I find Final Fantasy VII so overrated that I practically loathe it. It is utterly unworthy of having established the jRPG genre.

But Final Fantasy VII easily has a better written story than Final Fantasy VIII. Not to mention the combat system is better because Final Fantasy VIII actively discourages non-melee combat.

Final Fantasy VII is just a better game. That doesn't mean that Final Fantasy VII is a horrible game or that Final Fantasy VII is a truly terrific game. Final Fantasy VII is a better game, and that is coming from someone who doesn't really like Final Fantasy VII much at all.

Mupod

FF7's PC port introduced me to bad ports. It's just horrific.

I heard tales of 8's being even worse but I can't even imagine how. 8's still my favorite FF but man I feel no need to play that anymore since I already put so much time into that damn game the hours timer reset on me.

MormaPope

Banned
A big thing that would hamper the release is the size restriction on XBLA. I'm not sure how it compares to VIII's size though.

Uh, that stopped being an issue a long time ago. There are plenty of XBLA games that are 2 GB's, PS1 discs hold about 500/600 Megabytes I believe. So a three or four disc game wouldn't be an issue.

You must also remember that by releasing on PSN, that allowed it to be playing on both the PS3 and the PSP. They had a hell of a lot more money selling it that way than on the Xbox 360 which has always been on life support in Japan. Could happen someday, but I don't think even Microsoft cares enough to assist Square Enix in pursuing that.

Plenty of FF sales are from North America/Europe, it just seems like a no brainer that XBLA would get Final Fantasy titles eventually.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Excuse me, what?

I don't...I can't...

The only thing that holds up in FFVII is probably Gold Saucer and Midgar.

It seems like after FFXIII released (and failed) on the Xbox 360, Microsoft stopped caring about JRPGs.

Aeana

I like FF8 a lot, but I don't like the PC version.
I think people who are of the type who played it once at release and hated it and haven't tried it since should give it another shot, though. I liked it a lot more on subsequent playthroughs when I tried harder to learn about how all of the systems work.

It seems like after FFXIII released (and failed) on the Xbox 360, Microsoft stopped caring about JRPGs.
No way can FF13 be considered a failure on 360.

MormaPope

Banned

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon getting lukewarm reception probably had a hand in their apathy. FF XIII-2 did pretty bad sales wise on both the PS3 and 360, so maybe their apathy wasn't for the worst.

Onto judging the game as a port and how much I want it.

I kept meaning to buy it but didn't want to because I didn't want to have one more store on the internet to keep up with for buying a game, the Square Enix store. I kept meaning to, but I just didn't feel like it. I would have ended up writing a private google doc just listing the information of my purchase and I wanted to spend my money on other games, so I just never got around to it.

That is, the Final Fantasy VII for Square Store edition. Just too much hassle for me at first. Didn't want to log in, didn't want to keep up with the purchase. Didn't trust the store to allow me to download the game again easily or log-in again easily. Actually wanted to, but didn't get around to it.

I want it, though. As far as updates are concerned it lacks anti-aliasing options and the smoothers you get when playing it on emulators so in vanilla it easily looks inferior to playing it on ePSXe on high settings. That being said, it does have 1080p and easily is a better port than the original PC port, and the PlayStation Network port.

I'd easily rather play this port than the horrible looking PlayStation Network port with one terrible shader. Easily the best PC port of this game so far. I've heard of no issues with the game and it is generally friendly. And any anti-aliasing issue can easily be fixed with mods or downsampling or things like that I'm sure. Of which there's loads of mods for this game, so it is good knowing that there's finally a decent PC port very compatible with Windows 7. And with mods I will note that it looks even better than ePSXe, enough though vanilla Windows 7 VII looks worse than on ePSXe with max settings. It's worth picking up.

I still haven't bought it yet on the Square store, but I'll easily pick it up the first day it is available on the Steam store.

My favorite Final Fantasy, and quite literally my favorite videogame of all time. I will never get tired of the game and will certainly be buying if it ever arrives on Steam. FF VIII has almost an infinite amount of ways to play it. Sure, it can easily be broken but the amount of freedom of playstyles is quite daring. You almost have to discover how to play the game yourself by reading the information logs, doing tests, etc.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
No way can FF13 be considered a failure on 360.

I think fail is too strong a word. More like it didn't overtake the PS3 version (and the PS3 version outperforming it by a good number).

randomkid

I straight up had no idea this game was hated by so many until I started reading GAF in 2005. I guess I was reading magazines less when the game came out and somehow missed all the outrage. To be honest, the fury is still a bit confusing to me. I really liked it!

Top Bottom