• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Final Fantasy VIII coming to Steam?

Jea Song

Did the right thing
I don't get why FF8 gets so much crap. I think it's because it followed 7.

It has a great story and the best soundtrack I think in the series. The gameplay is classic final fantasy with a very deep if not confusing junction system.

While not my favorite final fantasy ( that goes to 10) it's certainly deserves a lot more praise and frankly I do believe 7 is over rated. I own this game on every platform it's been released on and will snatch this possible steam version in a second.

EMT0

Banned
I'm frankly amazed that I didn't see itshappening.gif in this thread. But, yay, more games on Steam, always a good thing.

It has a great story
For the first disc, yeah.

After that it becomes a little on the weak side. And easily weaker than Final Fantasy VII.

I don't think that Final Fantasy VIII deserves to be outright hated, and rarely it is. But I honestly think it is the weakest entry of its generation.

Would I buy it if it were on Steam? Oh, in a heartbeat.

This was the first FF game I played so I never (and still haven't) got into arguments over how different it is compared to other FF games. I still love the soundtrack, one of my all-time personal favorites.

- Find the White SeeD ship!

I hope that's an achievement even though it's part of the main story. That stuff was HARD. I have this on my Vita now, so I'm not super worried.

Chemo

One of the best final fantasy games there is. Truly worthy.

Wow, couldn't disagree more. VIII is basically tied with X and XIII as some bottom-of-the-barrel bullshit to me.

That said, I am glad it has its audience, it would truly be a waste if everyone hated it like I do.

The setting and world in FF VII is why I loved it so much, pretty modern in most ways but plenty of environments also felt like they were from an older era.

Besides that the cast of characters is really diverse, combat is simple but extremely satisfying, and some of the story bits/set pieces were amazing. Really felt like a grand adventure around the world.

A point that others seem to be missing here:

FFVII/VIII/IX are literally just ps1 .iso dumps running on ps3 via a ps1 software emulator built for ps3 (and psp/psv) by Sony for the "PS1 Classics" line. It was literally the laziest way to re-release those games, with any and all "work" involved having pretty much only to do with re-licensing the games (and licensing issues are also the reason why many ps1 games haven't been re-released on PSN). Obviously, SE can't just drop a ps1 .iso on XBL, and they seem to have no interest in porting the games (if they're gonna do that, might as well do a proper remake like FFT: War of the Lions for PSP).

Rinoa

Replaying now and right at the end of disk 1. Going to be sad because damn, it is definitely the best part of the game.. feels like they went half assed on the rest.

Lulubop

It has a great story and the best soundtrack I think in the series. The gameplay is classic final fantasy with a very deep if not confusing junction system.

While not my favorite final fantasy ( that goes to 10) it's certainly deserves a lot more praise and frankly I do believe 7 is over rated. I own this game on every platform it's been released on and will snatch this possible steam version in a second.

The rest is debatable, though I agree on the music. However the game-play is incredibly broken in more ways than one. Junctions, Enemies leveling, the limit breaks, weapon creation, drawing, etc it's a mess.

Jindujun

Neo Member

It gets all the crap it gets simply due to the fact that it deviates from the standard formula in really really bad ways.
Drawing magic, scaling enemies, 1000 XP to level up no matter what level and the list goes on

rataven

VIII drives me crazy. It's my least favorite FF game by a wide margin, with my absolute most favorite mini-game. I want to play Triple Triad again so badly, but I cannot deal with Squall and his crew of horrible friends. At least there's Quistis. And Laguna.

I don't know why they haven't spun TT off into it's own iOS game. Such a missed opportunity. Instead we get All the Bravest nonsense.

Whoever decided to add the "Random" rule in Triple Triad (which the people at Selphie's school use) should be put down. First time playing through that game, couldn't figure out how to get rid of that rule. Granted, I was 10 or 11.

Aeana

Why the worst mainline 3D Final Fantasy game, tied with XIII?

I realize others have said this, but... I want to reiterate this. The story's a nightmare to end all nightmares, and the gameplay's a broken mess.

Where's XII?
Because FF8 already has a PC version, and has had one for over a decade. FF12 does not.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
VIII drives me crazy. It's my least favorite FF game by a wide margin, with my absolute most favorite mini-game. I want to play Triple Triad again so badly, but I cannot deal with Squall and his crew of horrible friends. At least there's Quistis. And Laguna.

I don't know why they haven't spun TT off into it's own iOS game. Such a missed opportunity. Instead we get All the Bravest nonsense.

Ahh man I would love that -.-'''

I remember being so mad square never integrated tetramaster with FF11 so I could play while waiting for xp parties :/

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wow, couldn't disagree more. VIII is basically tied with X and XIII as some bottom-of-the-barrel bullshit to me.

That said, I am glad it has its audience, it would truly be a waste if everyone hated it like I do.

You are already wrong.

The only FFs that have polarizing receptions are VIII and XIII (I did enjoy XIII but I won't dismiss the polarizing reception). You can toss in XII if you want though.

ZoddGutts

Expect it doesn't. The characters weren't likable either expect for Laguna.

It gets all the crap it gets simply due to the fact that it deviates from the standard formula in really really bad ways.
Drawing magic, scaling enemies, 1000 XP to level up no matter what level and the list goes on
Also this:
http://squallsdead.com/

Aside from being a silly theory, it is pretty much the best negative review of the Final Fantasy VIII story I've ever found on the internet.

Based on an idea by duckroll
... neogaf? I had no idea you were so prolific.

Grief.exe

FFVII's database entry has been updated pretty consistently lately as well.

No achievements for that one though.

Not just a rumor, Final Fantasy VIII is effectively coming to steam.

Any info on this? I haven't seen anything official outside of the Steam database.

Listings in the Steam DB have all but been official announcements as of late. Of course, FF7 and 8 have been in the DB for years.

Not just a rumor, Final Fantasy VIII is effectively coming to steam.
If you're right, I'm sure as heck going to enjoy more jRPGs being on Steam.

Maybe if this does well enough they'll port other Final Fantasy games like Final Fantasy IX to the PC.

CronoShot

Obligatory

2EAAg.jpg

Everyone remember. Squall is not an "emo".

He is just a seriously unempathetic douchebag.

God, would it kill that guy to show some sort of sympathy, empathy, or emotion?
He's what I imagine what most internet trolls are like in real life. Minus being remotely cool in any way.

FaintDeftone

I'm surprised so many people are praising this game. Sure it's better than the modern FF crap we have now, but it is still not that great of a game. The draw system ruined this game for me.

DR2K

Banned
Starting with the best one? Nice.

I'm surprised so many people are praising this game. Sure it's better than the modern FF crap we have now, but it is still not that great of a game. The draw system ruined this game for me.

Here's the beauty about FF8, you could play and complete the game with barely any drawing. Thanks to the god like card game, and the ability to turn cards into magic.

Zeal

Banned
FF8 has always been one of the best. Even when the game received massive fanboy backlash, I always supported it. Characters, setting, story and junctioning system were ALL awesome, not to mention the amazing soundtrack. I think most were mad that it was a more serious take on FF without all the moe googoo shit.

Playing this all the way through tomorrow.

Come on...FFVIII? What about FFVII and FFIX.
If Final Fantasy VIII is coming to Steam, Final Fantasy VII is likely coming first. Final Fantasy VII has already been ported from Windows 95 to Windows 7, and this looks like a piece of evidence that Final Fantasy VIII is following suit.

Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII would have to sell well on the PC for them to consider porting it to the PC. Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII already have PC versions while Final Fantasy IX does not. In fact the reason Final Fantasy IX does not have a PC version is because the previous Final Fantasy PC titles did not sell well.

Which is understandable, because they were horrible ports. But still. If you want to see something like IX on the PC at all, you're going to have to hope the other Final Fantasy PC titles do well.

I seem to remember this version being kind of shitty back in the day.

The FFVII port was pretty good (aside from the insane keyboard controls), but I could just be misremembering that because I kind of just don't like FFVIII anyway. I think the models looked better or something.

Terra

If Final Fantasy VIII is coming to Steam, Final Fantasy VII is likely coming first. Final Fantasy VII has already been ported from Windows 95 to Windows 7, and this looks like a piece of evidence that Final Fantasy VIII is following suit.

Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII would have to sell well on the PC for them to consider porting it to the PC. Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII already have PC versions while Final Fantasy IX does not. In fact the reason Final Fantasy IX does not have a PC version is because the previous Final Fantasy PC titles did not sell well.

Which is understandable, because they were horrible ports. But still. If you want to see something like IX on the PC at all, you're going to have to hope the other Final Fantasy PC titles do well.

Yeah. I really hope that FF7 makes it first, or at the same time. Makes no sense otherwise. I will buy it day 1, but think I'll skip FF8.

ari

Banned
Ff8 is awesome. Get that skipping recommendation shit out of here.

This and 12 are my favorites by far.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Everyone remember. Squall is not an "emo".

He is just a seriously unempathetic douchebag.

God, would it kill that guy to show some sort of sympathy, empathy, or emotion?
He's what I imagine what most internet trolls are like in real life. Minus being remotely cool in any way.

He's not unempathetic. He just really, really, REALLY doesn't want to experience the pain of loss again, so he just doesn't open up to anyone. Ever. (Until Rinoa comes along).

neoism

It was my first day one FF game. I watched my cousin play FF7 when it first came out..... and didn't play it til about 5 months before FF8's release, then I got SO2 as my first jrpg ever. lol Loooved that summer.... FF8 was amazing, didn't even know til buying it on PSN the funnest way to play is low level. I leveled everyone to 100 my first and only time through back in the day.... having it on my PSP though not sure if I'd buy it again unless a mod sense would happen. I seen FF7 modded a few days ago it looks amazing.

Pooya

I think it's a sequence where the pop ups disappear one by one, before the other one does. So she had probably said something else before the 'dying'-part to wich is being answered to.

Rinoa doesn't say anything in that scene, she's in coma or something. Squall doesn't say that either, this is the part where they are totally in love :p

He's not unempathetic. He just really, really, REALLY doesn't want to experience the pain of loss again, so he just doesn't open up to anyone. Ever. (Until Rinoa comes along)
Yes, I know of that development. Still, the degree in which he takes it just seems ridiculous.

Anyway, thinking about this game does remind me I'm interested in playing it on Steam.

Clearly I don't remember every part in the game so perfectly. Since it has been so long. I don't even remember that the photoshopped scene is the one in which
Rinoa practically goes into a coma over being possessed by Ultimecia. Or whatever the heck that was supposed to be.

Which is funny, because I just replayed this game start to finish about 2 years ago via emulators on max settings. Like most 3D PlayStation games with emulators, it looks fairly pretty. And show you what a lot of anti-aliasing on low polygons can do. And shows how overrated graphics are in games today. At 1080p with huge AA settings and other beautifies on, even the crudest polygonal games on the PlayStation will look every bit as gorgeous as they need to be to make me happy.

Aesthetics are far more important that graphics. And even the most simple textures will look attractive if the settings are turned to max and beautified.

My second favourite Final Fantasy. Behind only FFXII.

Going by total play-time.

FF6 (It was literally the only game I owned for about a year or so...and Secret of Mana too)
FF12 (two 70+ hour play-throughs)
FF8 (Three play-throughs)
FF5(Several)
FF7(Twice)
FF4(A few)
FF10(Once)
FF9( .99th of a playthrough...Yeah I quit at the last save-point)
FF1(Several..but that game is like 7 hours long)
FF3(Once)
FF13(10 hours? Couldn't take anymore)
FF2(I'll never finish this piece of shit)

Top Bottom