• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More hints that AMD is building Nintendo NX’s processor (VentureBeat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that BC is the most important feature if Nintendo is going third party. First I must say that I seriously doubt that Nintendo is going to bother developing for Xbox one or ps4. Android devices iPad and iPhone gives enough market scope without loosing much freedom. I can see Nintendo flirting with steamos as well but in this last case it is more wishful thinking than reasoning, but who knows.

If they are going to develop for other platform it makes sense for them to have a very special device that can play every Nintendo game possible. A sort of sanctuary of Nintendo in a tablet or box format that can play current and old games alike.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think that BC is the most important feature if Nintendo is going third party. First I must say that I seriously doubt that Nintendo is going to bother developing for Xbox one or ps4. Android devices iPad and iPhone gives enough market scope without loosing much freedom. I can see Nintendo flirting with steamos as well but in this last case it is more wishful thinking than reasoning, but who knows.

If they are going to develop for other platform it makes sense for them to have a very special device that can play every Nintendo game possible. A sort of sanctuary of Nintendo in a tablet or box format that can play current and old games alike.

"This is a thread about next Nintendo hardware.

A clear sign they're going third party!"

Sorry, but wat.

I don't think they are going third party like Sega but they definitely are going to flirt with android and ios. Which is sort of 1st and 3rd party.

Nintendo won't ditch BC. Iwata believed in having ONE console at home, specially in Japan, where space is so fucking expensive. You can go back to the Wii reveal to see his reasoning. Is it possible for Nintendo to not have completely explicit Hardware BC but do some engineering trick ala MS to pull it off? Like having a very custom CPU that turns itself into something kindof PowerPC and then doing software tricks to compensate?

Also, the gamepad is not an issue, they would take the same route as with the nunchuck.

Wtf is this shit?

DooMAGE

You are trying to derail this thread too hard :p

I was always under the impression that both systems would have a shared hardware architecture, like iPhone and iPad, so I still think two ARM chips from Qualcomm is more likely than one x86 and one ARM. Something like a Snapdragon 615 for the NX handheld, and a Snapdragon 820 for the NX box.

AMD working on both x86 and ARM designs makes sense, mind, but some things don't sit right in the piece. The piece is seemingly obsessed with backwards compatibility, yet Nintendo isn't focused on Wii and Wii U backwards compatibility next generation. Iwata even said NX will "start from zero" when referring to whether Nintendo will continue to support Wii U and 3DS once the system is out of the door. It's clear the NX *platform* and the hardware that will utilise it (including QOL) is a big departure from what has come before it.

It also claims that Nintendo made the switch to x86 this generation, but Wii U is PowerPC and so are all the games on it, unless they have some insider information that suggests Nintendo is making x86 versions of all internally developed games.

SerTapTap

This is the time to kill bc. If they switch to x86 they can keep bc forevermore without having a shitty weird architecture ever again. I REALLY hope that's part of why both competing consoles are x86.

Don't really believe the general accuracy of any articles like this though .

mrklaw

MrArseFace
APU - good
x86 - good

Do AMD have a history of low power devices? They seem a good choice for a home console but I don't know about handheld

Larogue

If they want cross compatibility with handled and console they have to go with ARM.

But if they going to add x86 to the console in addition to ARM that console would be freaking expensive.

So I think they would either go with ARM on both. Or somehow would be able to emulate/run the handled ARM games with an x86 only console.

greg400

Banned

incredulous.gif

maxcriden

Question about BC. Is it possible to just do virtual console for all prior Nintendo systems and not allow any disc based VC without needing antiquated or extraordinarily complex chip architecture?

Mpl90

Considering the whole talk of "incorporating Wii U" so home and handheld consoles are like brothers, the family concept, I'm expecting the next handheld to have enough power to display Wii U-like visuals on a 540p 5"-max screen, with less polygons and better effects due to more modern components. Maybe even a bit more than that. What would that equal to in terms of Gflops, indicatively?

ecosse_011172

I really think that this idea of people feeling "cheated" to an extent that they wouldn't buy the next machine would be limited to about 20 people.

I'm not sure how there would be BC, I can't imagine Nintendo paying for an extra chip purely for hardware BC nor the machine to be powerful enouigh for sw emulation.

LewieP

Question about BC. Is it possible to just do virtual console for all prior Nintendo systems and not allow any disc based VC without needing antiquated or extraordinarily complex chip architecture?

The technical hurdles to play GC/Wii/Wii U software are pretty much the same whether they are off a disc or downloaded.

Of course if for some reason they could get downloaded software to work but no disc based software to work, they could do something along the lines of what MS are doing with 360 BC on the Xbox One, where you download the game again, and just use the disc for authentication.

Although that would be very un-Nintendo.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's more than what I thought. If the NX handheld is around 64GFlops like speculated how much of a graphical improvement over the Vita will it have?

In principle not that much. But Nintendo being Nintendo, they should be able to do a lot with less.

What he said. Screen resolution has a play in that as well. If they go with more resolution than the Vita (which may or may not be too likely knowing Nintendo and wanting to keep costs down), then IQ can suffer on more demanding games if they make them lower than native rez.

It will all come down to art design, which they excel at with their own games.

Considering the whole talk of "incorporating Wii U" so home and handheld consoles are like brothers, the family concept, I'm expecting the next handheld to have enough power to display Wii U-like visuals on a 540p 5"-max screen, with less polygons and better effects due to more modern components. Maybe even a bit more than that. What would that equal to in terms of Gflops, indicatively?

I would guess around 60-70GFlops, maybe a hair more. A good comparison would be the Vita vs. PS3 (Vita has 51.2GFlops).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-vs-ps-vita-face-off

Crono27

My head hurts..... what..

Nachtmaer

APU - good
x86 - good

Do AMD have a history of low power devices? They seem a good choice for a home console but I don't know about handheld

They had/have their cat cores which were are low power Atom-like processors designed for like ultrabooks and tablets. Y'know, the same ones that are in the PS4 and Xbox One. Although they use two blocks of Jaguar quad cores stuck together. They're also working on K12 which is ARM based, but that hasn't showed up in any recent roadmaps. It probably got delayed (indefinitely) to focus on Zen (x86) which supposedly can scale down to low power form factors.

I really think that this idea of people feeling "cheated" to an extent that they wouldn't buy the next machine would be limited to about 20 people.

I'm not sure how there would be BC, I can't imagine Nintendo paying for an extra chip purely for hardware BC nor the machine to be powerful enouigh for sw emulation.

If there is no BC, why has Iwata previously gone on record saying that the next console would absorb the Wii U architecture.

Mpl90

What he said. Screen resolution has a play in that as well. If they go with more resolution than the Vita (which may or may not be too likely knowing Nintendo and wanting to keep costs down), then IQ can suffer on more demanding games if they make them lower than native rez.

It will all come down to art design, which they excel at with their own games.

I would guess around 60-70GFlops, maybe a hair more. A good comparison would be the Vita vs. PS3 (Vita has 51.2GFlops).

Now that I think about it, what were Wii and Wii U GFlops?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
If there is no BC, why has Iwata previously gone on record saying that the next console would absorb the Wii U architecture.

The translation, might be implying that the console and hand held might also interact like the Wii U and GamePad? Wii U backwards compatibility makes zero sense. It's convoluted and barren.

hesido

AMD has been making processors and/or GPU's for Wii, WiiU, Xbox360, XboxOne, PS4, totalling a million billion sales yet it's somehow in a struggle. I'm beginning to think they are selling those chips at a 76 cents profit. (That's not percent, just cents)

That's more than what I thought. If the NX handheld is around 64GFlops like speculated how much of a graphical improvement over the Vita will it have?

The PowerVR Series 6 GPU in the two year old iPhone 5s, (the GX6430) is quoted for 76.8 GFLOPs over here.

That was a generational leap above what the Vita offered (Series 5, SGX-543), which Anandtech quoted as 38.4 GFLOPS for what was in 2012's iPad 3. Though as some have pointed out, Vita's was clocked higher, but Series 5 still has a less modern featureset.

Anyway, Nintendo were meant to be in talks with PowerVR for NX and I'd love to see something from Series 6 "Rogue" or Series 7 in NX. A newer version of this could be in the NX console. It's a beast. And the handheld could have something similar to the GX6430/GX6450 in the iPhone 5s/iPhone 6 and still be a generation ahead of Vita.

But I'm thinking that if Nintendo does go all-in on ARM on both handheld and console, it'll be Qualcomm that they partner with, so that'll mean an Adreno GPU.

They had/have their cat cores which were are low power Atom-like processors designed for like ultrabooks and tablets. Y'know, the same ones that are in the PS4 and Xbox One. Although they use two blocks of Jaguar quad cores stuck together. They're also working on K12 which is ARM based, but that hasn't showed up in any recent roadmaps. It probably got delayed (indefinitely) to focus on Zen (x86) which supposedly can scale down to low power form factors.

I wonder if AMD dropped the ARM X86 hybrid because Nintendo snapped it up

Mpl90

N64 SGI RCP 62.5 MHz 0.1~0.2 GFlops
GameCube Flipper 162 MHz 8 GFlops
Wii ATI HollyWood 243 MHz 12 GFlops
Wii U ATI RV770 550 MHz 352 GFlops

Thanks. Are we sure it's 352 for Wii U? I remember it was 176GFlops.
Btw, using this just for fun

NDS ARM946E-S (CPU) 67 MHz 0.6 GFlops

Console:handheld ratio - 13.33

N3DS PICA 200 200 MHz 4.8 GFlops

Console:handheld ratio - 2.5

Now, Wii U is indeed a gigantic jump compared to Wii (29.33). Applying a similar jump from 3DS to NX handheld, it'd be 141GFlops. But it's true that such a huge jump should increase the console:handheld ratio. At the same time, mobile tech development exploded in the past few years, so I don't think the ratio would increase that much. So...around between 85 to 95 GFlops?

ecosse_011172

I missed that quote, I can only imagine that they'll stick with Power PC then.
It wouldn't be Nintendo to switch to x86 and have the Wii U APU in there too, even Sony ditched that not long after the PS3 launch.

Neff

I'm not sure backward compatibility would be guaranteed, given the Wii U's small install base it might be a good time to start fresh.

If NX can run Wii U games, then it's because they'll want to get sales out of solid Wii U software which was limited by a small install base, like GC/Wii. I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few NX-tooled ports.

This is also worth keeping in mind, assuming NX does replace Wii U.

nuclear-propaganda.jpg

Fanfiction.com needs an own section for console war fiction.

Rodin

The article is not flawless, but i think it's pretty safe to assume they went with AMD. It always was, since that AMD executive said they had a contract for a 2016 console.

Strange article, but it has been assumed AMD will do the NX platform. Big chance it's ARM based. No powerpc, no x86 if they want a unified platform.

Also the quote about "absorbing the WiiU architecture" could still mean "eshop/miiverse/NNID", or even keeping the SDK/API close to how it is on WiiU.
Ugh, please no. SDK/API on the Wii U were awful. They need Vulkan for the latter.

There is no official flop spec, but it can probably be estimated to around 40-50 Gflops or more due to it being clocked 100mhz higher than the SGX543MP4 part used in phones or iPads at the time.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502898

Edit: found this, so I guess my estimate was close on the high end...

http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

For Comparison:

N64 SGI RCP 62.5 MHz 0.1~0.2 GFlops
Mmm i honestly sense bullshit from this website. I read everywhere that the PS Vita is 38GFLOPs, this site reports it at 51 and the Wii U at 352, when we know for sure it's 176.
Thanks. Are we sure it's 352 for Wii U? I remember it was 176GFlops.
Btw, using this just for fun

NDS ARM946E-S (CPU) 67 MHz 0.6 GFlops

Console:handheld ratio - 13.33

N3DS PICA 200 200 MHz 4.8 GFlops

Console:handheld ratio - 2.5

Now, Wii U is indeed a gigantic jump compared to Wii (29.33). Applying a similar jump from 3DS to NX handheld, it'd be 141GFlops. But it's true that such a huge jump should increase the console:handheld ratio. At the same time, mobile tech development exploded in the past few years, so I don't think the ratio would increase that much. So...around between 85 to 95 GFlops?
Ironically, 141GFLOPs (well, 140.8) was my best case scenario lol

I think it will (or at least, should) be around 100 (2CU, 128ALU at 400MHZ), for a number of reasons.

1) 64GFLOPs is too low for graphics similar to the Wii U, even at 540p. The typical hardware evolution of Nintendo handheld devices has always brought similar graphics to the previous home console, and there's currently no reason to believe that especially this gen they would break that
2) Mobile games are increasing their complexity and 64 is lower than the 3 years old iPhone 5S. If Nintendo wants mobile games to run properly on their console, even on the medium-long term, they can't go lower than that
3) If the home console is around 800GFLOPs-1TFLOP, a 64GFLOPs part in the handheld would be too much lower for a unified development environment

Maybe if we look back at the WUSTs i'm being too much optimistic, but while i don't think NX will be as powerful as the current gen consoles, i don't see a reason to believe they'll go super low with specs only because they did it with the WiiU. Circumstances are not the same, so for now i'm sticking with a more positive attitude :p

It wouldn't be Nintendo to switch to x86 and have the Wii U APU in there too, even Sony ditched that not long after the PS3 launch.

For context the full response in the Investor Q&A reads (my bold for emphasis of particular points of interest):

Iwata said:
Last year Nintendo reorganized its R&D divisions and integrated the handheld device and home console development teams into one division under Mr. Takeda. Previously, our handheld video game devices and home video game consoles had to be developed separately as the technological requirements of each system, whether it was battery-powered or connected to a power supply, differed greatly, leading to completely different architectures and, hence, divergent methods of software development. However, because of vast technological advances, it became possible to achieve a fair degree of architectural integration. We discussed this point, and we ultimately concluded that it was the right time to integrate the two teams.

For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

I don't read any of that as suggesting PowerPC is likely in NX (whether it's handheld, home or a multi-form platform).

The reference to the iOS smart devices is interesting.

Some people reading a hybrid system into that statement but Iwata clearly talked from a developer point of view that streamlining various different systems is the key future of the NX platforms.

maxcriden

The technical hurdles to play GC/Wii/Wii U software are pretty much the same whether they are off a disc or downloaded.

Of course if for some reason they could get downloaded software to work but no disc based software to work, they could do something along the lines of what MS are doing with 360 BC on the Xbox One, where you download the game again, and just use the disc for authentication.

Although that would be very un-Nintendo.

I appreciate the info. Thank you, Lewis.

Given Nintendo's affinity for backwards compatibility and the lower userbase of the Wii U, I could see Nintendo feeling that NX popularity could help drive sales for the Wii U back catalog (primarily digitally at that point).

The reference to the iOS smart devices is interesting.

Some people reading a hybrid system into that statement but Iwata clearly talked from a developer point of view that streamlining various different systems is the key future of the NX platforms.

Yup. It's why the constant suggestions that Nintendo should make a "hybrid" home/handheld - "It should be a powerful handheld that docks with a station that makes it EVEN MORE POWERFUL at home!" - are frustrating. There's no suggestion that that's where they're aiming, and the few public mentions suggest the opposite: they're looking toward a family of systems (iPhone/iPad etc.) built around either a common architecture or a common dev environment, presumably with the intention of either being able to easily share games across platforms (so no more Smash 3DS/Wii U situations) or being able to release one game that hits multiple scaled platforms. It also lets them release more hardware versions for more markets if they can easily scale software across a range of devices.

E-phonk

Banned
Like i said:
Also the quote about "absorbing the WiiU architecture" could still mean "eshop/miiverse/NNID", or even keeping the SDK/API close to how it is on WiiU. Doesn't have to imply BC or powerPC compatibility in any way.

If NX is a platform, that would also mean BC from console to handheld, things like that have never happened before and don't seem plausible.

Nope, powerpc is dead, and certainly not optimised for mobile/handhelds. ARM makes the most sense.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'd much rather them continue to ignore those business smarts and invest in new games rather than remasters. Not sure why you would want them to go with the less consumer-friendly option.

Because it tends to tie you architecturally to outdated tech when you implemented it on a hardware level, as would be necessary in this case. That has happened to the Wii U.

Moreover, the rather common hate for remakes is completely baffling to me. Remakes are great in every respect: they give more people the opportunity to play great games, they refine technically troubled games, they are completely optional for people who already played the original version, they are cheap to develop and can be outsourced to other developers, and they make the developer some easy money that, contrary to the popular opinion that remakes steal resources from new games, helps them to develop new and expensive games. Everybody wins! Especially Nintendo, which had to eat up losses in the recent past.

Oregano

How do you know Capcom sees it that way or not? They've had plenty of opportunities to bring Monster Hunter 3 and 4 to Vita. They could easily bring X and Stories to another platform besides 3DS. It seems they like having the mainline series on one platform.

With regards to the percentages, I was just throwing numbers around. Nothing really serious. Though I believe the NX portable version of MH5 would do better than a Vita version. It would certainly do better than any home console SKU. I'm not seeing Vita as a viable platform in late 2017, even in Japan. And handheld MH is always going to dwarf console MH in sales.

I think being 3DS only had much more to do with the support Nintendo was willing to give it, especially in the west. Nintendo is notoriously unwilling to support multiplatform games/franchises.

Mpl90

I think being 3DS only had much more to do with the support Nintendo was willing to give it, especially in the west. Nintendo is notoriously unwilling to support multiplatform games/franchises.

While that's historically (mostly) true, Skylanders seems like a major shift in that sense.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Mmm i honestly sense bullshit from this website. I read everywhere that the PS Vita is 38GFLOPs

The stock GPU is 38 (used in an iPad 3 I believe). The PS4 part has a "+" at the end of the part with a little custom work as well as 100mhz more (400 vs 300) bringing it up to 51.

I do not think the GFlops are that low on the Wii U, because that would have it lower than the PS360 which it is not. Several sights have it all in the same 352 range.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1903/wii-u-gpu.html

Rodin

The stock GPU is 38 (used in an iPad 3 I believe). The PS4 part has a "+" at the end of the part with a little custom work as well as 100mhz more (400 vs 300) bringing it up to 51.

I do not think the GFlops are that low on the Wii U, because that would have it lower than the PS360 which it is not.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1903/wii-u-gpu.html

The Wii U GPU architecture is much, much more efficient than what's in PS360, so it can do more with less.

About the PS Vita, i guess it's possible. When i looked it up because i didn't know the number i always found 38GFLOPs, but the +100MHZ thing makes sense.

Do we have a thread about the disastrous Q2 results of AMD?
http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=RssLanding&cat=news&id=2068551
... :(

They really need this contract, hopefully they got the portable too, and they really need these things to sell well. We all need AMD to stay in the market in full force.

Yup. It's why the constant suggestions that Nintendo should make a "hybrid" home/handheld - "It should be a powerful handheld that docks with a station that makes it EVEN MORE POWERFUL at home!" - are frustrating. There's no suggestion that that's where they're aiming, and the few public mentions suggest the opposite: they're looking toward a family of systems (iPhone/iPad etc.) built around either a common architecture or a common dev environment, presumably with the intention of either being able to easily share games across platforms (so no more Smash 3DS/Wii U situations) or being able to release one game that hits multiple scaled platforms. It also lets them release more hardware versions for more markets if they can easily scale software across a range of devices.

Exactly. And it'll make sense when we see the hardware on the platform. Like iPhone and iPad, we've seen developers either target just one (X-COM, Steamworld Heist and Pokémon Trading Card Game are or were iPad-only), or both, with optimisations being made to suit the different form factors.

And making it very low-cost for developers to code for both platforms should make the dream of buying once, owning on everything a reality, much like it is on iOS. Right now you don't see universal purchases across all games on, say, PS, because it costs some developers an awful lot to make separate Vita or PS3 versions of a game.

deadlast

So what kind of x86 power would be required to emulate the Powerpc in the wii u? Just curious, since I don't know anything about emulation.

reKon

Banned
Well, I need that BC because I don't have space in my entertainment center set up for a Wii U and NX. This is the problem I'm having with my PS4 and PS3. The games already run so well on the, Wii U and look good that I don't know I'd care about a remasters. It's going to be annoying if they don't decide to remaster the one game I want.

I wish Nintendo didn't fuck up so badly with the Wii U. It truly has great games.

PS4, PS3, Nintendo Wii U, Ninendo NX, and HTPC/gaming PC is too much and messy.

If they price the Wii U lower before Nintendo NX release, then I may bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom