• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Mass Effect 3 details [Planet Aesthetics Detailed, Verdict On Space Battles]

Ezalc

Mattdaddy said:
I have a hard time believing Jack was a more popular romance option than Miranda or Tali. I hope they aren't confusing the "romance option" with the "Hit it with a crowbar option".

Fixed.

I also don't believe that people didn't pic Miranda for dat ass.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I don't get why Ashley's so popular... she's kind of a bitch. Was there anything specific in the first game that endeared you people to her?

It seems that people like her and dislike her for pretty much the same reason.

I think that people who dislike her, hate her for what I'll call "role-playing reasons". Her prejudice, in the real world, would be highly annoying and most good people try to disassociate from those who have bigoted attitudes. So if you just judged her as you would judge anyone else, it makes sense that you would dislike Ashley. Fair enough.

I notice that the people that like her, tend to appreciate the overall character, and care that went into making her a believable person within the universe. A lot of people wouldn't trust aliens and would be more concerned about how their own species was progressing. A lot of people with bigoted attitudes actually have a complex about their own abilities, as Ashley does, as a result of her family name being tarnished. A lot of religious people are defensive over their beliefs.

"She's kind of a bitch" doesn't mean that she wasn't a well developed character. It just means she had a difficult personality (Although I sorta feel like this has been overstated).

She's also one of the only characters that, in my eyes, has any real reason to romance (male) Shepard. Liara is more interested in the marker than Shepard himself. Tali falls in love with you for no reason at all. Miranda thinks she's better than everyone and probably wouldn't be interested in some space marine. I like Jacks character, but, she wants to be with Mr. Superman Shepard? C'mon.

This doesn't get into the fact that she simply tells you more about herself than anyone else. You find out about her family and sister, you know about at least one of her hobbies (Poetry), she tells you about her dad, religion, feelings on humanity...she simply had a lot of content.

Sorry for making this Bioware forum post here on neogaf.... :)

Jarmel

Banned
Hold up, did it actually say that Jack was the most popular romance option? All the OP says is that Jack was a popular romance option.

Kaidan's natural story arc just doesn't work well in a video game. Because it would something like: rise in rank to get a well paying and secure job with decent retire benefits. At some point in time meet a nice woman to fall in love with and get married. Upon reaching captaincy get a posting at the Alliance embassy on the Citadel as a military attache. It was Anderson's former post and chances are he could help out with that. Settle down, get an apartment on the Citadel and raise two kids. Be completely average at his job, a model parent and die of old accomplishing nothing of real significance other than serving with Shepard at some point during his military career.

MechaX

Fimbulvetr said:
Straight-man characters usually work well when they react to how damn insane everyone else is. Kaidan doesn't even do that.

Perhaps he'll have a better shot to perfect his Carth personality in ME3 by bitching out nearly everything Shepard says or does.

Desi

Lostconfused said:
It was Anderson's former post and chances are he could help out with that. Settle down, get an apartment on the Citadel and raise two kids. Be completely average at his job, a model parent and die of old accomplishing nothing of real significance other than serving with Shepard at some point during his military career.
Since Kaiden is a spectre now he can do a 180 like Gilles de Rais!

Kitschkraft said:
It seems that people like her and dislike her for pretty much the same reason.

I think that people who dislike her, hate her for what I'll call "role-playing reasons". Her prejudice, in the real world, would be highly annoying and most good people try to disassociate from those who have bigoted attitudes. So if you just judged her as you would judge anyone else, it makes sense that you would dislike Ashley. Fair enough.

I notice that the people that like her, tend to appreciate the overall character, and care that went into making her a believable person within the universe. A lot of people wouldn't trust aliens and would be more concerned about how their own species was progressing. A lot of people with bigoted attitudes actually have a complex about their own abilities, as Ashley does, as a result of her family name being tarnished. A lot of religious people are defensive over their beliefs.

"She's kind of a bitch" doesn't mean that she wasn't a well developed character. It just means she had a difficult personality (Although I sorta feel like this has been overstated).

She's also one of the only characters that, in my eyes, has any real reason to romance (male) Shepard. Liara is more interested in the marker than Shepard himself. Tali falls in love with you for no reason at all. Miranda thinks she's better than everyone and probably wouldn't be interested in some space marine. I like Jacks character, but, she wants to be with Mr. Superman Shepard? C'mon.

This doesn't get into the fact that she simply tells you more about herself than anyone else. You find out about her family and sister, you know about at least one of her hobbies (Poetry), she tells you about her dad, religion, feelings on humanity...she simply had a lot of content.

Sorry for making this Bioware forum post here on neogaf.... :)

I know next to nothing about Ashley's back story to be honest... cause I never finished the first ME. My only experience with her is her rudeness at my return from death in ME2. Hello, I was resurrected here. Be a bit more happy instead of deeming me a terrorist nut (
My memory may be coloured here.
). I did like being called a god though.

Truth be told, none of the romance options have been very enticing to me... Miranda came close only cause of Yvonne Strahovski, but she's pretty arrogant. "Oh poor pretty perfect me." I hate Jack. So annoying. Tali is... well, I don't even know how that would work, she'd like... die or something.

Grakl

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I know next to nothing about Ashley's back story to be honest... cause I never finished the first ME. My only experience with her is her rudeness at my return from death in ME2. Hello, I was resurrected here. Be a bit more happy instead of deeming me a terrorist nut (
My memory may be coloured here.
). I did like being called a god though.

Truth be told, none of the romance options have been very enticing to me... Miranda came close only cause of Yvonne Strahovski, but she's pretty arrogant. "Oh poor pretty perfect me." I hate Jack. So annoying. Tali is... well, I don't even know how that would work, she'd like... die or something.

She kinda loses this attitude after the loyalty mission.

Grakl said:
She kinda loses this attitude after the loyalty mission.

Yeah, I know. I completed the Loyalty Missions... my complaints are more about the stuff prior to it. She's alright closer to the end... plus she quits Cerberus to support me, that's pretty cool.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Speedymanic said:
We've already seen concept art/screen of a huskified Rachni and this isn't the first time BW have said the decision will come back to haunt us...

Anyway, Hardcore Q&A

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-amp-a-for-hardcore-fans.aspx?PostPageIndex=1
I just saw this. Some of the answers are hilarious.

Game Informer said:
Game Informer: Some Asari have eyebrows. Some don’t. Are they born with or without? Or does it vary based on the individual?

Mac Walters: Actually, they aren’t eyebrows at all. They are unique color patterns that vary for every Asari. We, being humans, naturally associate those particular markings with eyebrows, but the Asari don’t think of them in that way at all.
Game Informer said:
Game Informer: Some fans have speculated that Aethyta (the Asari Matriarch behind the bar at Eternity) is Liara’s “father.” Is there any truth to that? Will we find out more on that topic in Mass Effect 3?

Mac Walters: The writers are keenly aware of the speculation and there are indeed discussions about how this plot line will resolve in Mass Effect 3. And that’s all I can say about that.

I'd be shocked if Miranda wasn't the most popular romance option in ME2.

Miranda and Thane were my two favorites in ME2, hope they both make it in. And yes I know that Thane
only has 24 hours to live or whatever, but they brought Shepard back from the freaking dead, they can give Thane an organ transplant.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have a friend who's favourite characters are Miranda, Ashley and Liara (in that order). He doesn't have any interest in anyone else. Also he only plays as default male soldier Shepard.

What do gaf?

WrikaWrek

Banned
I'm glad Jack is back. She was an interesting character, X Men like, but hopefully her attitude changes a bit.

Still in shock at the no Thane show, and also Grunt. I mean, those were the no brainers for me, the obligatory ones....

:(

Patryn

WrikaWrek said:
I'm glad Jack is back. She was an interesting character, X Men like, but hopefully her attitude changes a bit.

Still in shock at the no Thane show, and also Grunt. I mean, those were the no brainers for me, the obligatory ones....

:(

I will do a happy dance if Grunt is never seen nor heard from again.

Said it before, will say it again: Worst character in the entire series.

EatChildren said:
I have a friend who's favourite characters are Miranda, Ashley and Liara (in that order). He doesn't have any interest in anyone else. Also he only plays as default male soldier Shepard.

What do gaf?

Introduce him to the dating sim genre.

Jerk

Banned
Patryn said:

Worst?

Dude, he was a boring waste of potential, but he was not offensively bad.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Grunt for me is nothing more than a poor man's Wrex. I get his place in the story, I just dont see why anybody would want him around over Wrex.

Patryn

WrikaWrek said:

He's the shallowest character in the entire series. His entire personality comes down to "I like to fight things." His loyalty mission is the only one that is explicitly "Go beat shit up."

Compare that to Wrex, who was also about fighting things, but had a nuanced world view. Compare to the helmeted Krogan you meet earlier, who had an interesting lot in life and had plenty to explore: If you fail to become what you were created to become, what are you?

Nope, instead you get an idiotic warrior, who's already designed to be the best and experiences little to no character growth whatsoever.

Fucking hate him.

WrikaWrek

Banned
EatChildren said:
Grunt for me is nothing more than a poor man's Wrex. I get his place in the story, I just dont see why anybody would want him around over Wrex.

Well, i like Wrex better. But he has his own thing going on, and Grunt is a really interesting character that didn't have much to do in ME2.

On a concept level i love him though, sort of this like Captain America version of the Krogan.

Patryn said:
He's the shallowest character in the entire series. His entire personality comes down to "I like to fight things." His loyalty mission is the only one that is explicitly "Go beat shit up."

Compare that to Wrex, who was also about fighting things, but had a nuanced world view. Compare to the helmeted Krogan you meet earlier, who had an interesting lot in life and had plenty to explore: If you fail to become what you were created to become, what are you?

Nope, instead you get an idiotic warrior, who's already designed to be the best and experiences little to no character growth whatsoever.

Fucking hate him.

Ugh, he was pretty cool to me.

And there's so much room for him to grow now.

Jarmel

Banned
Patryn said:

That's a tie between Kaidan and Jacob. Nothing is worse than a boring character, nothing.

I find it surprising that Jack was a popular romance option, she's an annoying character with a ridiculous design that would put into shame some of the most awful devianart works.

The only redeeming point was the Renegade scene in his loyal mission, and the Paragon romance dialogue?...ugh....

Miranda wasn't much better but at least the character was more consistent....

I don't care about Ahsley, because now she looks like Claudia Black in Farscape...., need to do a no-romance run in ME2.

Patryn said:
How can Grunt grow? I'm curious. He shows no drive to do anything but fight stuff.

I remember that at some point there was a sign of grow in ME2...but then it instantly dissapeared..., if I wasn't a completionist none of my ME2 runs after the first one would have let Grunt out of the capsule...

EatChildren

WrikaWrek said:
On a concept level i love him though, sort of this like Captain America version of the Krogan.

I also hate Captain America :lol. So I guess that explains it.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Patryn said:
How can Grunt grow? I'm curious. He shows no drive to do anything but fight stuff.

His primary instinct is to fight. But now imagine all the road that such a blank canvas can do, he is very young, still driven by extinct, but given his genetically superiority, can it be that he will start developing his own morals, his own view of the world, maybe he will fall in love, maybe his perspective on war will change, maybe he becomes evil maybe not.

There's so much to do. He really can be an amazing character.

Kyoufu said:
ITT: People who call characters that had nothing to do in ME2 "really interesting characters".

Sorry but is there something clever or smart about this? There are games where the lead character is boring and uninteresting as shit (most of games).

So, is there really a relation between the amount a character does, and how interesting it is on a conceptual level?

The Warloord Okeer would have been a way better squadmate. He would have made a fantastic foil to Mordin. They are similar in some ways but differ in key respects - they're both ethically shadey, brilliant scientists, but Mordin has a has some strict ethical principles he adheres to ("No tests on species with members capable of Calculus. Simple rule, never broken it."), whereas Okeer really doesn't. They also retain the Krogan vs Salarian tension that Grunt was originally written with in mind (there is unused audio of a Grunt vs Mordin crew conflict).

I also think that Grunt being integrated into the crew was REALLY sloppy, same with Legion.

Patryn

Relaxed Muscle said:
I find it surprising that Jack was a popular romance option, she's an annoying character with a ridiculous design that would put into shame some of the most awful devianart works.

The only redeeming point was the Renegade scene in his loyal mission, and the Paragon romance dialogue?...ugh....

Miranda wasn't much better but at least the character was more consistent....

I don't care about Ahsley, because now she looks like Claudia Black in Farscape...., need to do a no-romance run in ME2.

I remember that at some point there was a sign of grow in ME2...but then it instantly dissapeared..., if I wasn't a completionist none of my ME2 runs after the first one would have let Grunt out of the capsule...

Where? I have no recollection. He has that weird biological thing that goes away when he beats shit up (inexplicably), but that's it. Even that is so poorly explained. What is it? Why does it go away when he beats shit up? Would he have died if he hadn't beaten shit up? Why does that shit have to be on Tuchanka? Did he even need to beat shit up? Did all Wrex have to say is "You're in my clan"?

It's the laziest loyalty mission in the game. Hell, it's barely a mission. It's a combat simulator.

WrikaWrek said:
His primary instinct is to fight. But now imagine all the road that such a blank canvas can do, he is very young, still driven by extinct, but given his genetically superiority, can it be that he will start developing his own morals, his own view of the world, maybe he will fall in love, maybe his perspective on war will change, maybe he becomes evil maybe not.

Too little, too late. I'd rather they ditch his worthless ass and start over with a new character. No big loss.

Kyoufu

Patryn said:
Where? I have no recollection. He has that weird biological thing that goes away when he beats shit up (inexplicably), but that's it. Even that is so poorly explained. What is it? Why does it go away when he beats shit up? Would he have died if he hadn't beaten shit up? Why does that shit have to be on Tuchanka? Did he even need to beat shit up? Did all Wrex have to say is "You're in my clan"?

It's the laziest loyalty mission in the game. Hell, it's barely a mission. It's a combat simulator.

The whole thing was just an excuse to fight a Thresher Maw :p

WrikaWrek said:

He almost had an orgasm when he was describing how he'll kill turians...., also most of what are you describing is Wrex,a krogan that has a more wide vision of the universe beyond the violence and rage property of his own race, and I don't want that, because there's only one Wrex.

Grunt would have been a cool introduction to the Krogan race but appering after Wrex he's basically an useless boring character.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
EatChildren said:

What do gaf?

I had no idea we were real life friends!! What up buddy!! :)

Actually, I lie, I lie. On one of my ME2 replays I did play as default male VANGUARD Shepard. Once.

Patryn

Relaxed Muscle said:
He almost had an orgasm when he was describing how he'll kill turians...., also most of what are you describing is Wrex,a krogan that has a more wide vision of the universe beyond the violence and rage property of his own race, and I don't want that, because there's only one Wrex.

Grunt would have been a cool introduction to the Krogan race but appering after Wrex he's basically an useless boring character.

That's the other problem. Most of the paths for growth for Grunt turn him into a second-rate Wrex. And all that reminds me is that I'd rather have Wrex along.

WhiskeyKnight said:
Please bring back whoever did the soundtrack for the first game.

Not happening. He also did the second game, but was then fired. Clint Mansell is doing ME3.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:

I don't agree, and also i think Grunt has the possibility to even become a great villain.

WrikaWrek said:
Well, i like Wrex better. But he has his own thing going on, and Grunt is a really interesting character that didn't have much to do in ME2.

No. Mordin is an interesting character that had nothing to do with ME2.

Grunt is one note and his story would have worked much better with the nicer Tank Bred Krogan.

Patryn said:

I think there's a dialogue when he talks about the past wars or something, that was rather interesting, when he realizes what Okeer taught him wasn't the absolute true, if I remember right. I thought there could be the first stone to something more interesting than rage, kill that usually fills his dialogues.

As I say it was almost an illusion.

Patryn

Fimbulvetr said:
No. Mordin is an interesting character that had nothing to do with ME2.

Grunt is one note and his story would have worked much better with the nicer Tank Bred Krogan.

Helmeted Krogan would have also really upped the tension between the two sides. It's one thing for Wrex to take in a tank-bred Krogan. It's another for it to be a FAILED tank-bred Krogan.

And it's telling that there are a lot of people who prefer a character who appears in all of three minutes and call him a deeper character than an actual squadmate.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Also they need to cool down on the character introductions this time around no?

Certainly, this isn't gonna be another "build the team" game, right? I thought that was the point of Mass Effect 2...

Patryn

WrikaWrek said:
Also they need to cool down on the character introductions this time around no?

Certainly, this isn't gonna be another "build the team" game, right? I thought that was the point of Mass Effect 2...

If they do, did Mass Effect 2 have a point?

Patryn said:
If they do, did Mass Effect 2 have a point?
Well Ashley/Kaidan, Liara and now this Sanders guy weren't in the second game. So that is already three or four, depending on how you want to count Ashley and Kaidan, that weren't recruited or part of the squad in in ME2. And that's just the ones they did confirm.

Kinyou said:
ITT: People who hate every character that has ever been in Mass Effect

This is me pretty much. I only like Garrus and Mordin, the rest can fuck off. Bioware spends too much time on characters anyway.

Lakitu

st5fu
Just wanted to add a couple of tidbits from a page I somehow missed the first time around, people have already seen it, but anyway:

-They saw a cut-scene where the Normandy and a fleet of alien ships go through a mass relay together.
-The structure of the story is a little different to Mass Effect and ME 2 but it bears more resemblance to the first game's story. 'Mass Effect 3, in simple terms, is a little more like the first game. You're collecting pieces of a story, but the more you investigate and explore these themes, the more the game will unlock and you'll see the bigger picture.' Its more of a traditional story.
-They're not going to end the game like a traditional war story, where you beat the bad guys and celebrate.
All these characters and relationships created will be a big part of the ending.

Jarmel

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Well Ashley/Kaidan, Liara and now this Sanders guy weren't in the second game. So that is already three or four, depending on how you want to count Ashley and Kaidan, that weren't recruited or part of the squad in in ME2. And that's just the ones they did confirm.

Well Garrus was already somewhat confirmed and Tali will almost certainly be in there. Bioware doesn't want a jihad on their hands from the Talimancers. It also seems that Mordin and Legion will be back as NPCs. Miranda I'm sure will also be back just due to the Cerberus plotline. The rest can burn in a fire somewhere.

benzy

Ashley looks like she had plastic surgery. Her face looks weird.

Ashley_Williams_in_Mass_Effect_3.jpg

image-mass-effect-2-characters-ashley-williams.jpg

Top Bottom