• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat refused classification in Australia [Update: Customs Seizing Imports]

The_Dude

Not surprised by this in the least. I watched one video around E3 time and realised it was a foregone conclusion. Still sucks for people who were looking forward to it.

LiK

Vormund said:
Fukk :(
I had the special edition pre-ordered as well. Any ideas where I should order from then?

i guess if you're not afraid of import shipping prices. try UK shops like GAME or Zavvi.

Replicant

Vormund said:
Fukk :(
I had the special edition pre-ordered as well. Any ideas where I should order from then?

Me 2.

LiK said:
i guess if you're not afraid of import shipping prices. try UK shops like GAME or Zavvi.

They haven't listed the special edition yet. What is going on? I can't find any Euro online store that sells the special edition.

LiK

Replicant said:
They haven't listed the special edition yet. What is going on? I can't find any Euro online store that sells the special edition.
Really? GAME is usually the king of SEs. Maybe not available yet.

Vormund

Well EB just called me about it and I shifted my pre-order to Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel edition. :)

I've been looking for a collectors edition for 360, and play asia has them but unfortunately they've listed it as NTSC only. :( I may just go to PS3 version but I only have a 360 arcade stick :/

boiled goose

good with gravy
Luigiv said:
:lol :lol :lol

Like hell they do. We vote in governments based on big issues, but when it comes to little things like this the officials (in this case attorney generals) act under their own violation.

A vast majority of Australians are already either in favour or indifferent to the introduction of an R18+ for games. Most Australians already recognise that the real issue with the lack of an R rating is not that the very occasional "mature" game gets RC but that a majority of games that should be R-rated get away with an MA15+ instead.

You can be cynical, but when it comes down to it, you have the option of being more involved.
Get involved. Make changes.

You can disagree with something, but unless you take action, nothing is going to get done.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Bizzyb said:
Edit: So basically the government is completely ignoring an entire audience of gamers that want to play mature based videogames? What is the reasoning/logic behind this??

Duh, it's because video games are for kids. No exceptions.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Bizzyb said:
Edit: So basically the government is completely ignoring an entire audience of gamers that want to play mature based videogames? What is the reasoning/logic behind this??
no logic or reasoning. just this

think_of_the_children_186.jpg

newelly87 said:
They never ban any good games so it never bothers me.
I think Risen would qualify as a good game that was banned. Also Fallout 3 was banned until they edited the game.

Seems like the Australian government still doesn't want me spending a few thousand dollars a year of my paycheck locally. Truthfully it is a combination of our ratings system, unbalanced pricing and spotty localisation timing that has me mainly importing but I would pick up more Collectors Editions and impulse buys if I was given the choice of which content I am adult enough to purchase.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Time to import.

Scrow said:
we still haven't moved past this? oh come on australia!

There's a SCAG meeting next month, but due to the NSW elections the AG of said state won't be present, so the issue can't be discussed (or rather, agreed upon).

Jintor

RustyNails said:
What the fuck is with Australia and video games?!!? They kicked a fuss over zombies in Left 4 Dead 2. ZOMBIES. IN A VIDEOGAME.

Sick humans acc. Valve and the rating board

Replicant

I'm glad I got PS3 since it means I can just import but I really want that steelbook, damn it. Now where am I going to look for it? *sigh* Or I may just get the US one. Then I can get the MK movie and get Jade's Klassic costume.

onken

Dunno maybe but I know Amazon doesnt have an expedited shipping option anymore so expect to spend $80+ from there.

One Ok Rock

Neo Member
Phoenix Fang said:
I was thinking of moving to Australia or Japan. This just made Japan look better.

The only difference between Japan and Australia is that Japan loves small boobs.
So the choice is obvious.

Seriously though, how much longer can they possibly put discussing this issue off? Do we have to riot in the streets? Set some cars on fire?! I'm game if you guys are!!!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Quan Chi and Kabal confirmed.

Wonder if this means Shao Khan will be playable too? Eh, probably doesn't mean anything for certain.

itsgreen said:
Welcome to Libya I guess.

Censorship for the win.

Please detail how Australia is similar to Libya in many more ways than banning a videogame

Censorship is awful and this is shit, I hate my country sometimes but lets get real here people are being shelled, shot at and bombed for daring to want freedom over there, let's not get too ahead of ourselves

Nemesis_

This really is dumb.

For those who import big collector's editions and stuff, or at least get things sent through couriers or faster shipping, you will be subject to customs at a much higher rate than usual and may have the stuff confiscated.

Just a heads up. Same thing happened to me with fucking Silent Hill Homecoming.

Sarquiss_

Not surprised really. Couple Australia's archaic rating system for videogames with the fact that the Australian Classification Board and the Government is mostly made up of people that are so out of touch with with Australian public and the industry that they believe that videogames are only for children.

A large majority of the gaming public in Australia are aged 20+ and should have the right/option to play a videogame as it was envisioned by the developer. You cannot deny the gamers of Australia mature titles just because they are scared that some kid might buy a mature game and then have his parents offended by the content. Its a parents responsibility to monitor what a child plays not the Australian Classification Board's or the Government's.

Oh well looks like I will just import the game and save some money in the process ;)

TreIII

Lost Fragment said:
Quan Chi and Kabal confirmed.

Wonder if this means Shao Khan will be playable too? Eh, probably doesn't mean anything for certain.

An Italian mag supposedly "confirmed" Shao Kahn already. We'll see what that brings though.

Happy for the confirmation of Kabal and Quan Chi, but really sad for our Australian brethren. It really sucks not being able to at least have the choice to buy or not.

They really seem to love saying explicitly. It makes you wonder if it's possible to implicitly beat someone with their own severed leg for a prolonged period of time.

MechDX

USA! USA!USA!

Seriously though, that sucks.

Can you get in trouble for shipping a copy of this to Australia? If not I would be willing to purchase a copy and ship for just the cost for someone down there.

bumpkin

electroshockwave said:
They really seem to love saying explicitly. It makes you wonder if it's possible to implicitly beat someone with their own severed leg for a prolonged period of time.
They say explicitly a copious amount of times, too.

Top Bottom