• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Sells Close To 3 Million Worldwide

gunbo13

Busaiku said:
It still makes no sense.
It was barely a factor in Europe (didn't debut too high, and was gone after 3 weeks), and all 3 versions only did about 310k in Japan.

Where does Namco keep sending them.
Korea? China?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Jaxter09 said:
Its surprising Tekken sold so much considering it was bargain binned within weeks of release
Maybe that is the reason it sold so well. A cheap price is attractive. And if you already produced the discs you might as well sell them for cheap instead of throwing them in a landfill.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Busaiku said:
It still makes no sense.
It was barely a factor in Europe (didn't debut too high, and was gone after 3 weeks), and all 3 versions only did about 310k in Japan.

Warehouses and liquidators presumably.

I mean:

Lyphen said:
I bought [Tekken 6] for 75 cents at Wal Mart a couple months back. I'm sure most purchases were at bomba prices.

we.are.the.armada said:
It's nice to see that fighters are doing this well - now I'm just hoping that the net code for these games get sophisticated enough to have arcade-like experiences online, that'd be sweet.
Not going to happen for modern fighting games until Next-Gen. With MK they are really pushing the consoles just with normal gameplay. Theres not enough memory to do GGPO with it. Thats why you're seeing 2D fighters being released with GGPO but not any 3D fighters yet. Next-gen consoles should have more than enough resources to do GGPO though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
"With the launch of Mortal Kombat, we have already paid for the acquisition of the Midway assets, and we are just beginning to leverage this acquisition with much more to come."

I contributed with a PS3 Kollector's Edition purchase. This is awesome to hear.

Now, I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that they bring back San Francisco Rush with the same love and care that they gave Mortal Kombat.

gunbo13

Nirolak said:
Warehouses and liquidators presumably.
Can you get numbers outside NA/EU/JPN? Tekken has a huge followings especially in other Asian countries. Even South America if I'm not crazy.

EDIT:
Hong Kong, Korea, Philippines, Canada, Australia, England & Japan all got arcade setups.

LordPhoque said:
Is online still unplayable ?
Its a lot better, but I've noticed that if you want an optimal gameplay experience you should be on a wired connection to your router. But its not the same (and never will be the same) as playing offline.

Busaiku

gunbo13 said:
Korea? China?
Sure, it may have a following, but I doubt it's 2.5 million+.
I mean I can't imagine more than 2 million PS3s in all of Asia (the 360 game wasn't released there).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've been seeing commercials on TV for the DLC. I don't think I've ever seen that done before. I still play the game occasionally and like it a lot, but I guess fighting games aren't really my bag anymore because $5 for a single character is absolutely absurd to me. Luckily all of my favorites are on the disc — none of the downloadable ones really interest me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gunbo13 said:
Can you get numbers outside NA/EU/JPN? Tekken has a huge followings especially in other Asian countries. Even South America if I'm not crazy.
I only have access to public statements for the most part.

That said, Namco used to heavily overship almost all of their games, so it's not an issue endemic to Tekken, but rather the publisher.

To get this high, obviously a lot of people bought it, but the sales data making little sense relative to its known NA, EU, and JP sales isn't wholly unexpected.

Or, to put it another way, while it could have gotten 3.5 million copies into consumers' hands, it likely did that at a very low average selling price.

But yes, I do think it's quite possibly (and even likely) more popular than Street Fighter.

Raonak

Banned
gunbo13 said:
apperently does good in oceania last time I heard, I mean, here in NZ- It seems to be lot more popular than street fighter. judging by the arcades.

Tekken is just the norm fighting game.

gunbo13

Busaiku said:
Sure, it may have a following, but I doubt it's 2.5 million+.
I mean I can't imagine more than 2 million PS3s in all of Asia.
Possibly. But you can't discount the popularity.

Philippines
r3un6.jpg

It's a bit of a unique fighter.

sephi22

Busaiku said:
It still makes no sense.
Tekken is huge in Middle East and South Asian countries (India/Pakistan). I don't know how many units are sold here but almost all of my friends have played Tekken

gunbo13

sephi22 said:
Tekken is huge in Middle East and South Asian countries (India/Pakistan). I don't know how many units are sold here but almost all of my friends have played Tekken
Namco fighters seem to have this popularity. Soul Calibur is huge in Europe and barely is on the radar in NA (in a popularity sense).

Shadybiz

I keep thinking about picking up MK, because I have a distinct lack of fighting games. But then, I remember that I'm not that great at fighting games, because I can never find the time to memorize all of the move sets.

Is there some kind of "noob lobby" in the multiplayer portion?

mujun

Loved the game so this is great news. Hopefully more fighters will have an equally cool single player element from now on.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
This is awesome and well deserved - the only Mortal Kombat I've purchased (all the others I've rented, up until UMK3 when I stopped caring for the series) and seeing it at the fighting tourno stream was really good fun. Excellent work, Netherrealm!

Am I the only one that would like them have another shot at a Mortal Kombat vs DC game since they've seem to have gotten their groove back

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I've never really liked MK and actually never played any of them after MK3, but from what I've seen the game does two things extremely right that explain both why it sold so much and why it's still selling (see NPD charts for July):

1) Goes back to the roots. You've got all the classic characters, classic 2D gameplay (although that might have been the case with previous games as well, I think), and gory fatalities and special moves all over the place. It's ridiculous, but that's one of the main reasons why MK was originally successful. Gore is more prominent in games these days, but MK goes beyond that standard level.

2) Has a crapton of content and is generally polished. I don't remember the name, but there's a sort of mission mode that's apparently huuuuge (and, again, ridiculous).

This is how you do games that are both modern and take their cues from the oldschool. Hear that, developers? No half-assed efforts, no "$10 downloadable or we won't sell!" bullshit. Don't go and assume that because your game isn't cinematic enough, or open world enough, or "innovative" enough that it won't be a success. The oldschool needs the high class treatment.

I'd argue that MK is doing the "back-to-the-roots" job even better than SFIV, and I actually like SF gameplay and games way more. But that's probably because I hate the new artstyle, new character designs, new music and useless lame anime cutscenes in the latter :p.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't think Tekken 6 sales are correlated to the price drop as much as the fact that the largest chunk of the series' popularity exists in Asia and Europe.

sleepykyo

Shadybiz said:
I keep thinking about picking up MK, because I have a distinct lack of fighting games. But then, I remember that I'm not that great at fighting games, because I can never find the time to memorize all of the move sets.

Is there some kind of "noob lobby" in the multiplayer portion?

Rank/skill based matching? No.
Player created lobbies called beginners only? Yes. Not sure anyone actually adheres to it though.

FreeMufasa

Nirolak said:
Warner has announced that Mortal Kombat has sold nearly 3 million copies world wide.

Source: http://content.yudu.com/A1thlc/MCV120811/resources/22.htm

For comparison, here are the sales of other fighting games as of June 30th, 2011 (Capcom), May 12th, 2011 (Tekken 6), and March 2009 (Soul Calibur IV, SSB Brawl):

SSB Brawl: 9.48 Million
Tekken 6: 3.5 Million
Street Fighter IV: 3.1 Million
Soul Calibur IV: 2.3 Million
Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: 2.0 Million
Super Street Fighter IV: 1.6 Million

If anyone has final shipment numbers for Soul Calibur IV, that would be greatly appreciated, since then we can see how the fighting game rebirth went as a whole.

Why do people keep saying we're in a fighting game revival? We had prequals to all those games last gen + more. I think a revival of a genre can be noted by the amount of new IPs (decent ones) released. So far there's only Blazblue this gen.

The demo was pretty good and considering the hype i'm not suprised its done so well.

Alrus

FreeMufasa said:
Why do people keep saying we're in a fighting game revival? We had prequals to all those games last gen + more. I think a revival of a genre can be noted by the amount of new IPs (decent ones) released. So far there's only Blazblue this gen.

The demo was pretty good and considering the hype i'm not suprised its done so well.

I guess because Capcom released new versions of series they didn't use much last generation? I don't understand it either tbh.

Shadybiz

sleepykyo said:
Rank/skill based matching? No.
Player created lobbies called beginners only, yes? Not sure anyone actually adheres to it though.

Thanks! Maybe I'll give it a rent to see if I have any business being in these created lobbies.

gunbo13

FreeMufasa said:
Probably from the range and number of games being released. Sales are spread way to thin and that has to do with modern genre success and not just in the fighting genre.

Didn't Tekken 3 sell like a gabillion copies?

Alrus said:
I guess because Capcom released new versions of series they didn't use much last generation? I don't understand it either tbh.
They are making money in portions rather then a shit-ton with big releases. It's just a new business model compared to past generations. Apparently it is working but I do believe everyone is kind off with the entire "revival" stuff.

Kimosabae

Banned
FreeMufasa said:

People's perception of the genre's "death" is warped and overblown by the fact the Capcom fighters and 2D Fighters, the faces of the genre, were essentially on hiatus.

With that said, the genre's as relevant as it's ever been since the release of SF2. While 3D fighters, MK and Melee sold in the first decade of the 00s, only MK and Melee were hitting mass-critical numbers and awareness, which seemed to contribute to enthusiasts of the genre claiming it was dead.

sleepykyo

Alrus said:

If it isn't Capcom it doesn't count towards the US tournament scene? MK was still selling multiple millions, SC4 sold moderately well and Tekken was chugging along. It isn't so much a revival of the fighting game genre as it is a revival of Capcom's fighting game production.

Seik

Banned
Well I liked it, they gave the fans want they wanted. All in all, its a well deserved success.

I was scared for MK's future when Midway closed its door, it's good to know Ed Boon and co. are back better than ever! :D

infinityBCRT said:
Not going to happen for modern fighting games until Next-Gen. With MK they are really pushing the consoles just with normal gameplay. Theres not enough memory to do GGPO with it. Thats why you're seeing 2D fighters being released with GGPO but not any 3D fighters yet. Next-gen consoles should have more than enough resources to do GGPO though.

Next-Gen!? Ok, I'm bummed to hear this but I'm grateful that we're getting SF3:TS Online.

infinityBCRT said:
This is wrong. Ravidrath pretty much shot down this notion.

Yeah, so I asked Mike Z, and he confirmed that there is no technical reason they couldn’t convert their game over to use GGPO.

Originally Posted by Mike Z:
It may be that since their games aren’t frame-based (or possibly are not syncing random seeds) they have to send data like dT and other things… however, everything in a computer is able to be entirely predictable, since there IS no real randomness… it’s just a matter of if they want to do it.
I worked on games with incredibly complex 3D animation systems, and all of them could be predicted simply from inputs.
So even though it may be a lot of work, and they are probably deciding it’s not worth the effort, in the end yeah it’s just “We don’t want to.”
There is zero technical reason why they can’t.
So there you have it from someone who has actually converted his game’s code to use GGPO and implemented it.
GGPO is entirely based on just sending inputs and any other relevant data like character select, random seeds, etc. It takes some restructuring of your code to do that, and what this statement from Namco says that they just don’t think it’s worth doing.”

mjc

Very well deserved, this outing is awesome. Its probably my favorite fighting game of the generation.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
FreeMufasa said:

Well I suppose a full, complete revival would include those 3 elements:
1) A good flow of new games;
2) A return to form for the old games — this is what's happening here;
3) Popularity (i.e. word-of-mouth and sales)

Actually, I think it's mostly down to popularity. Developers still make shmups to this day, and some of them were highly-praised (Ikaruga, Gradius V) but it's still no revival. No one would say there was a shmup revival beyond the very subjective view that they just happened to buy and enjoy those games at the time.

This is why I'm not exactly sure we have a full revival of fighting games. I think SF is halfway there (how fitting, as it sold 50% less than SF2), and I think MK has managed an incredible comeback. I'd say the same for 2D platform games: 2D Mario sells even more popular now than before — can you even picture that? I can hardly —, and I'm sure Rayman Origins will be fun and actually has a shot at selling within Ubisoft's expectations (provided they're not ludicrously high, this is still "only" Rayman), but nearly all the other releases from Nintendo and third parties have been anecdotal or performed well enough but were no shocker either (see the Kirby games). Bring back Sonic, Castlevania and Mega Man in full force on home consoles (not retro revivals for a handful of dollars on digital platforms) with great success among other new successful platform games and then we'll talk. I can only think of Drawn to Life and Scribblenauts, but DTL wasn't some kind of mini-phenomenon, and Scribblenauts is really a puzzle game in disguise. Same for A Boy and his Blob (which bombed anyway) and Wario Land Shake Dimension.

It was a good showing. They finally did what we all wanted, and they did it well, and also offered lots of content in the package. Deserves every penny.

Tekken 6 on the other hand :|

Top Bottom