• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Sells Close To 3 Million Worldwide

I bought Tekken 6 when it hit $20. I bet a lot of people did the same (not buying it at $60). Maybe that is why it got so high in sales.

I wonder how many tekken 6's they sold at full $60 msrp.

Actually, that would be a cool breakdown for all sales data. How much was sold at what price point.

o yea. congrats to MK.

alstein

faridmon said:
What about the sales of BlazBlue and KoF XII?

Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember reading a year ago from a games industry type on twitter that BBCT sold over 500K, and was considered above expectations. Unsure how well BBCS did.

KOFXII I think was under 100K.

VF5 sales were beyond terrible, which is depressing.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

alstein

In regards to a FG revival, I'll call it a revival when a new or previously unsuccesful IP draws 1mil. Part of me wonders how much of it is the nostalgia machine going strong.

Hopefully KOFXIII can do it.

BuzzJive

Well deserved. This reboot really takes me back to the MK2 days. But there's still plenty to do to the series. I hope this success will let them build up the team some more and allow for more overall polish for the game.

Kimosabae

Banned
alstein said:
In regards to a FG revival, I'll call it a revival when a new or previously unsuccesful IP draws 1mil.

Good point.

At the same time, however, what other genres in the industry allow new IPs to be embraced to that degree? On consoles the genres seem pretty established in regards to IPs.

Terareflection said:
This is wrong. Ravidrath pretty much shot down this notion.
Tony Cannon, the creator of GGPO basically said what I said when he was on wakeup srk (episode 58 I believe). I think the creator of GGPO would know more than anyone else.

As I programmer I understand what Mike Z is saying, and I understand what Tony Cannon is saying, and the truth probably lays somewhere in the middle (and I really don't want to get into it here). But basically, its not going to be something done easily until the next-generation when there will be more than enough memory to do this.

Deadbeat

Banned
I hope it keeps on selling well. It deserves the sales.

Finally a fighting game that isnt lacking content and basic features that have been standard for years.

ezekial45

Banned
Well deserved. It's an amazing title and the most content rich fighting game in years.

WB games have turned out to be an awesome studio. They really get it.

Busaiku

alstein said:
In regards to a FG revival, I'll call it a revival when a new or previously unsuccesful IP draws 1mil. Part of me wonders how much of it is the nostalgia machine going strong.
Besides Street Fighter, Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom, Super Smash Bros, Soul Calibur, and Mortal Kombat, I don't think any other fighting series has sold 1 million ever.
Well, there are the Dragon Ball Z and Naruto games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
gunbo13 said:
Possibly. But you can't discount the popularity.

Philippines
r3un6.jpg

It's a bit of a unique fighter.

I can attest to that. When I go to our local arcades, there are more people playing Tekken as compared to SF4 (in fact I don't even see anyone play Arcade SF4). If I mention modern fighters, they only talk about Tekken 6, and to some extent MvC3, Dissidia, and BlazBlue.

sleepykyo

Kimosabae said:
When was the last time you played this game online?

2 nights ago.

Still laggy.
Connection indicators are broken in the lobby. (PS3 version specific issue).
No customization in searching. eg. regional, skill based match function.
Limited training mode.

Finally a fighting game that isnt lacking content and basic features that have been standard for years.

Sucks that Blazblue is too cartoony for mainstream appeal, as it pretty content packed and functional on all levels.

That aside, MK9 is definitely a huge step up from MK4 and Deadly Alliance.

kitzkozan

I expected at least 3 million copies since MK vs DC did 2.5 million and that game was ass. :p Well done for them and deserved since it came packed with content and I'll give them an A for effort when it come to the story mode. They just need to hire a great battle director or form someone with the proper potential so we can get a great game engine to push this to push the franchise to the next level.

As for the revival, there's absolutely no doubt that we have one. The genre never died, but interest was at an all time low between 2003-2008. A couple of mainstream title from Namco and niche FG, but nobody was really caring for the genre. I'm sure there wasn't much discussion for tournaments on GAF or anywhere else except for dedicated FG forums.

Would we be seeing an indie FG like Skullgirls being made if not for a revival of the genre?

-Pyromaniac- said:
It was a good showing. They finally did what we all wanted, and they did it well, and also offered lots of content in the package. Deserves every penny.

Tekken 6 on the other hand :|

Tekken 6 was also awesome, building on 5 DR and offering a ton of content. It's been an amazing tournament mainstay for a couple of years now, even has its own TV show in Korea. It doesn't deserve any hate. If anything it's amazing it has as much appeal as it does considering how insanely complex it is.

Busaiku said:
Besides Street Fighter, Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom, Super Smash Bros, Soul Calibur, and Mortal Kombat, I don't think any other fighting series has sold 1 million ever.
Well, there are the Dragon Ball Z and Naruto games.

Maybe Killer Instinct and DoA? Battle Arena Toshiden and Bushido Blade were greatest hits but I dunno.

Balb

LiveFromKyoto said:
Tekken 6 was also awesome, building on 5 DR and offering a ton of content. It's been an amazing tournament mainstay for a couple of years now, even has its own TV show in Korea. It doesn't deserve any hate. If anything it's amazing it has as much appeal as it does considering how insanely complex it is.

I admit that I'm not a huge Tekken fan but I enjoy playing through all of the games to watch the CG endings in Arcade Mode. As far as I know Tekken 6 doesn't have those so I skipped out on it.

Balb said:
I admit that I'm not a huge Tekken fan but I enjoy playing through all of the games to watch the CG endings in Arcade Mode. As far as I know Tekken 6 doesn't have those so I skipped out on it.

They do still have those.

Grats MK, best fighter this gen.

About Tekken 6. I do think that while the series is still popular, there is some kind of design stagnation, since T5, that makes a lot of more casual players feel rather meh about the game. I think TTT2 will run into the same problem.

ezekial45 said:
Well deserved. It's an amazing title and the most content rich fighting game in years.

WB games have turned out to be an awesome studio. They really get it.

They kinda get it. Fighting games are complicated. Fortunately most people only kinda get it.

Balb

DryEyeRelief said:
Outside of brawl, it's the best one player fighting game.

I disagree. While I like the fact that MK had an actual story mode, the story itself was bad if not terrible (this is coming from a guy who actually likes most of the MK games). It's not even as good as MK v DC's story mode, which I thought was decent.

Also, if you include past generations, Soul Calibur II's Weapon Master mode was really fun.

Congratulations to both NetherRealm Studios and WB! I think Mortal Kombat is better than most of the fighting games that are out. I hope for more great successful games from NetherRealm in the future.

Master Milk said:
That isn't a compliment.

Haha, well it is weird.

You have the FPS genre will the ability to produce multiplayer focused games. However, with fighting games you need all sorts of extra stuff now to get away from the arcade model, which presumes that the player's main focus will be fighting against other people, and not the CPU. Fighting against the CPU is important mayne.

SamVimes

sleepykyo said:
If it isn't Capcom it doesn't count towards the US tournament scene? MK was still selling multiple millions, SC4 sold moderately well and Tekken was chugging along. It isn't so much a revival of the fighting game genre as it is a revival of Capcom's fighting game production.
Evo before SF IV was smaller than a lot of tournies nowadays.

TreIII

DryEyeRelief said:
Haha, well it is weird.

You have the FPS genre will the ability to produce multiplayer focused games. However, with fighting games you need all sorts of extra stuff now to get away from the arcade model, which presumes that the player's main focus will be fighting against other people, and not the CPU. Fighting against the CPU is important mayne.

Well, to be fair? It's not as if this is a "new" trend. Capcom and Namco, for example, have done plenty to popularize this notion of adding on more content to home releases, since more than a decade ago. SFA3's World Tour and Soul Edge/Blade's Edge Master mode, for example. And then by the time the likes of VF4 introduced "Kumite Mode" (which I still think is the ideal model for this type of thing), and GGXX's visual novel-esque story mode, the fighting game genre's path was "set". And that's what people have come to expect of it.

So, honestly? If these fighting game companies didn't want to have to deal with this "expectation" of fanservice-related content, they shouldn't have laid the groundwork for it back in the 90s. :lol

AZ Greg

A "revival" isn't solely based on amount new IPs released or even releases in general. And on a smaller scale, it doesn't even need to rely on huge sales or mainstream success to be considered a revival. It's a combination of those with many other factors. Sure you could have gotten a prequel to most of these games last generation, but there wasn't the same availability of excellent related peripherals (See: Arcade sticks), you couldn't find a good sized nearby local gathering/tournament every weekend like you can now, there wasn't access to high quality high level streams every weekend like there seemingly is now, and, while this is anecdotal and somewhat related to sales, it was harder to find casual buddies willing to gather at least once a week and play.

I'm not sure the revival can continue at the same pace over the next few years, but I think this boom has helped to establish a more solid base that should prevent the genre from slowing back down to the pace it was at in the early 2000s.

On the topic of MK, never picked it up. Will probably grab the eventual sequel though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Aizu_Itsuko said:
I didn't know fighters were selling this well this gen.
Don't worry. Capcom's well on its way to stopping that with their constant rereleases. I just hope SNK doesn't get caught in the crossfire.

TreIII said:
Well, to be fair? It's not as if this is a "new" trend. Capcom and Namco, for example, have done plenty to popularize this notion of adding on more content to home releases, since more than a decade ago. SFA3's World Tour and Soul Edge/Blade's Edge Master mode, for example. And then by the time the likes of VF4 introduced "Kumite Mode" (which I still think is the ideal model for this type of thing), and GGXX's visual novel-esque story mode, the fighting game genre's path was "set". And that's what people have come to expect of it.

So, honestly? If these fighting game companies didn't want to have to deal with this "expectation" of fanservice-related content, they shouldn't have laid the groundwork for it back in the 90s. :lol

I don't think there was any real expectation or standard. Spectator mode and online lobbies didn't become a "standard" until last year (because of SSFIV).

I know for a fact that Tekken 6 was massively over-shipped in the US, specifically the Xbox 360 version. Chances are your local Walmart and Best Buy have a bunch priced below ten bucks still.

Oh, and good for MK.

The game is phenomenal. I finally got around to downloading the DLC characters & free costumes and the game just keeps getting better and better. Easily the best fighting game of the decade and the best MK game ever.

fernoca

Though regarding sales, it should be kept in mind that:

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe = 2.5 million = (around)24 months
Mortal Kombat (2011) = 3.0 million = 4 months [1.5 million in the US alone]

But yeah, the thing with MK is that it has never sold "bad"; excluding Special Forces since even Mythologies did over a million back then. For many this is the "return of fighters"; yet the only difference with last gen is that Capcom (in some ways) returned with new sequels to Street Figther and Marvel vs Capcom.

Last gen, we had the Guilty Gears and Virtua Figther 4 been the "niche fighters", this gen we have BlazBlue and Virtau Fighters 5.

Last gen there was 3 main Tekken games (and updates to Tekken 5); this gen Tekken 6...all selling millions.

Last gen MK games were selling millions, this gen..the same.

SoulCalibur II and III last gen selling millions, SoulCalibur IV doing the same (and V soon).

Japan still got Virtua Figther and Tekken tournaments while Street Fighter was taking a rest. Mortal Kombat topped charts and sold millions in the US while no Street Figther game was in the horizon. More than "figthers going away and now making a return", it was Capcom the one that left and realized that if they actually put efforts into their fighting games; the games would be great and well received; after years of "where my MvC3 Crapcom, where's my SFIV; stop the ports!!"..

Doomshine

DryEyeRelief said:
I don't think there was any real expectation or standard. Spectator mode and online lobbies didn't become a "standard" until last year (because of SSFIV).
Tekken 5 DRO had lobbies and let you watch while you wait for your match. I never played it, but I'm pretty sure Doa 4 had something similar too.

Top Bottom