• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe - 5 screens

MrNyarlathotep said:
I genuinely don't get why people are hyped for this.

MK Fans: (apparently there are some out there)
- wasted oportunity to add new characters that belong to the MK world
- won't do anything innovative as a fighter
must... resist... obvious... MK putdowns...
- will almost certainly be 'toned down' to accomodate the expected crowds of dc fans rushing to buy
- not even the game the developers wanted to make; this has 'publisher dictated cash cow' written all over it
- you're getting this instead of a real MK game. Why wait until it gets released to get bitter / pissed / disapointed about that?

DC Fans:
- The DC licence gets second stringer status in the title, how the fuck do you think they're going to treat the characters?
- DC continuity takes another pasting... Earth MK? lawls.
- There's lots of companies out there who would love to make a decent DC game, but Midway are going to squeeze this turd out on an annual basis for the duration of the licence
- Is going to go lowest common denominator on character recognition and pick super heroes who would never dream of killing someone as it goes against their core belief systems (Superman, Batman) in a game all about killing someone just because you beat them in a fight. Now, if this game had picked characters who have no qualms whatsoever about killing off the opposition (Manhunter, Black Adam) you might have something interesting, but...

All good points, agree with you on all of them.

Regardless, still curious to see what a hi-def MK game will look like, perhaps they'll make an unrestricted version when this one bombs.

PS - The fighting system might actually be as good as the earlier ones, here's hoping!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
With DC, it always seems like one good step forward followed by a 3 hour train ride in the opposite direction.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Router said:
With DC, it always seems like one good step forward followed by a 3 hour train ride in the opposite direction.

:lol

Don't let the comic thread over on off-topic hear you say that.

Darklord

Banned
No blood and gore = Do not want.

Seriously MK is fun because of the over the top violence. It's great fun playing with friends and punching them into a wall of spikes or having some huge bloody fatality.

Without that it's just Generic fighter #4912.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Can't wait for this game, fuck the whiny bitches who say "BU BU BU SUPERMAN CAN'T BE KILLED", it's a video game.

NeonZ

- not even the game the developers wanted to make; this has 'publisher dictated cash cow' written all over it

I'm not so sure about that. I can't find any links right now, but I'm pretty sure I've read old interviews from the developers claiming that they wanted to make some kind of crossover game.

catwoman_render_tmk.jpg

Reminds me of an actress... can't put my finger on it..

fernoca

MrNyarlathotep said:
I genuinely don't get why people are hyped for this.

MK Fans: (apparently there are some out there)
- wasted oportunity to add new characters that belong to the MK world
- won't do anything innovative as a fighter
must... resist... obvious... MK putdowns...
- will almost certainly be 'toned down' to accomodate the expected crowds of dc fans rushing to buy
- you're getting this instead of a real MK game. Why wait until it gets released to get bitter / pissed / disapointed about that?
-Guess you've seen the full roster, though in any case this is a cross over game..there's no need to include new characters.
-Depends on your definition of "innovative", because just looks around: none of the upcoming fighters (or already released ones) did anything "innovative".
-Toning it down was always expected, heck it was announced since day one that it's a T-rated game; but there's blood, Fatalities and Brutalities.
-They always wanted to make a cross-over game, apparently they talked with Capcom but it seems the Japanese division (the HQ) didn't wanted. They were working on MK8, but the idea was presented to them..and they liked the concept.
-Not a real MK game? ..hehehe... :p ...There's nothing to be pissed,bitter, etc. The same ones that are pissed and bitter are the same ones that complain about anything and everything. The same ones that like going around talking about "how MK only sells because of blood"; yet now they say that "they are not buying it ,because "there's no blood and gore".

MrNyarlathotep said:
DC Fans:
- The DC licence gets second stringer status in the title, how the fuck do you think they're going to treat the characters?
- DC continuity takes another pasting... Earth MK? lawls.
- There's lots of companies out there who would love to make a decent DC game, but Midway are going to squeeze this turd out on an annual basis for the duration of the licence
- Is going to go lowest common denominator on character recognition and pick super heroes who would never dream of killing someone as it goes against their core belief systems (Superman, Batman) in a game all about killing someone just because you beat them in a fight. Now, if this game had picked characters who have no qualms whatsoever about killing off the opposition (Manhunter, Black Adam) you might have something interesting, but...
-Title was chosen because it "sounded" better, than DC Universe vs Mortal Kombat..the same way Predators vs Alien sounded weird for many. DC is designing the characters and story along with Midway, Midway can't do anything without the approval of DC.
-Earth MK? lawls yeah..just wait a few months.. lawls..
-Squeeze one every year? The contract is for 2 games..Two..Dos..not to mention that Midways has done/released DC-related games in the past, so they may have done something "good" to get something that important.
-Characters that don't kill, are not going to kill (i.e. Batman, Superman, etc).. DC Villains, will have Fatalities (*cough*The Joker? Lex Luthor?*cough)..everything's introduced in the upcoming comic and during the intro and explained even better during the "adventure mode"..which lets you play on both sides, to see their perspectives on the "cataclysmic event"..

Oh well..
I guess I'm wasting a lot of time (it's the same thing in every MK thread..), when even the guys at MK and DC are having a great time..at all the assumptions many are making based on:
-Quick interviews
-1 teaser trailer
-Pictures
-Character pictures

Sadly, the E3 demo will be really limited (4 characters, 2 stages)..but at least the San Diego Comic-Con will reveal some new stuff.

fernoca

Father_Brain said:
What a terrible Catwoman design. They should have just lifted the costume she's had in the comics for the last few years.
That..has been her design over the last years.

6jiuld.jpg

A figure...
30cmzib.jpg

And another..
2h6uezo.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Father_Brain said:
What a terrible Catwoman design. They should have just lifted the costume she's had in the comics for the last few years.

Apart rom the color, it is the design she has had for the last few years.

fernoca said:
That..has been her design over the last years.

6jiuld.jpg

You can definitely see the current costume in that render, but the artists at Midway made some terrible changes to it (the zipper, purple, the collar, the design of the mask).

EDIT: Fair enough. I guess it's those changes, plus something about the overall look of the model, that make it look bad.

fernoca

Father_Brain said:
Not really. You can definitely see the current costume in that render, but the artists at Midway made some terrible changes to it (the zipper, purple, the collar).
See the other 2 pics.. :p
Plus Midway didn't changed anything..DC is designing the characters, not Midway.. :/

MrNyarlathotep said:
Capcom used their licence with care and reverence to the source material, even down to giving Marvel the top billing in the game (protip: there's no such game as Capcom Vs Marvel) by choosing characters who somewhat realistically could handle themselves in a fight with other characters, going so far as to pick somewhat obscure heroes and villains over the 'big names' (at least to start with) and had movesets and character strengths somewhat relevant to the source material (with most of the capcom crew getting significant power upgrades to keep the playing field level)

Give me a break. You have characters like Hulk and Juggernaut in those games.

beat said:
Why are the muscles so defined? Only bodybuilders in full ultra-dehydrated show mode have this much definition, and even then _not through spandex_.

Ever read a comic book?

I have a feeling people are nitpicking this not based on any design decisions but more because it's Midway and Mortal Kombat.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I hope this turns out good, but its really, really hard to do so.

MKII is really fun and 3 is... okay. Nothing after that point has been better than Bloody Roar in my opinion. Most games have the screens and trailers then the epic fail and fanboy defense force arrives. This is a horrible start to say the least.

I think that was the second best choice for a Catwoman costume.

The best, of course, being the one from the original Batman...the grey one.

Atomspike

omg rite said:
Because people like lying to themselves, pretending that the MK games last gen weren't fun.

This is a silly idea, but it could still be a good game.
old Mortal Kombat games featured scanned real life models with awful rigid animation and garish , gaudy aesthetics.
so subsequently ,Mortal Kombat serie was never good to begin with.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Father_Brain said:
You can definitely see the current costume in that render, but the artists at Midway made some terrible changes to it (the zipper, purple, the collar, the design of the mask).

EDIT: Fair enough. I guess it's those changes, plus something about the overall look of the model, that make it look bad.

What's funny about your post:
DC is doing the artdepartment on this game.

Baryn

Banned
Aside from the Catwoman render, this is SHIT HORRIBLE SHIT! HOW CAN ONE DEVELOPER HAVE SO MUCH ANTI-TALENT?!?!

karasu said:
Like who?

And I think you're taking this too seriously.

Pick a 'superhero' type game thats coming out. Any of them.
Or one thats been released that used generic 'looky likey' superheros (City Of Heroes, Freedom Force).

You don't think the devs wouldn't have happily used instant recognition 'real' superheros and villains from DC rather than their own equivalents?

beat

Gokurakumaru said:
Ever read a comic book?
Yes, I have. But two things: one, some things don't transfer as well to 3D, and two, I actually prefer when artists don't draw every striation on every muscle. Like, David Mazzucchelli's work on Daredevil and Batman is some of my favourite work ever ever ever.

turk128

shagg_187 said:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j279/shagg187/catwoman_render_tmk.jpg[IMG]

Reminds me of an actress... can't put my finger on it..[/QUOTE]
It's like someone made Jessica Biel in Poser...
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/2ed89w6.jpg

Unlimited4s said:
The art is fucking horrible, don't their designers feel horrible for creating something like that?

Based on their last five games, I'm guessing the designers just walk around with their fingers in their ears and just stay off the internet. I hope somebody at midway is reading this thread though. Not like it'll make a difference, but still.

Gagaman

Remember when Midway said they wanted to reinvent the Mortal Kombat series, remove almost all the original characters and do something more "Gears of war" like in tone? What happened to that? I don't know why but I don't think this is the new-gen Mortal Kombat they wanted to make at all.

I also remember old rumors of a DC Vs Capcom. Kind of which that happened now as Capcom can at least do it with style and good game play mechanics, and don't have to gimp the main selling point of their franchise just to please the other. Gore was pretty much the only reason Mortal Kombat was even fun as a kid, that and the fact that the characters were essentially live action characters in daft costumes, now it's just dull soulless looking 3D models. Shame.

http://worldscollide.com/

has the first podcast up. It's underneath the 'Download Art.' Not much said right now except that Shang Tsung will be revealed on gametrailers as well as the official reveal of Catwoman.

It's kind of disheartening to hear them kind of brush off broken gameplay mechanics by saying that every game has it's glitches. Shaolin Monks(a game I thought was fun and wish they would revisit with maybe a little more God of War influence) had to be the most glitch filled game I have EVER played. The game is only 5 or 6 hours long, but I probably encountered a major glitch every 30 minutes on my first play through.

RyuHayate

Gagaman said:
Remember when Midway said they wanted to reinvent the Mortal Kombat series, remove almost all the original characters and do something more "Gears of war" like in tone?

They probably thought developing with UE3 automatically did that for them.

Top Bottom