• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe - 5 screens

GCQuinton

Hadn't seen this anywhere yet, but Captain Marvel (SHAZAM!) and Liu Kang were announced in the latest Mkast podcast.

I'm cool with Captain Marvel, but if the rosters are gonna limited to a certain amount of people from each side why go with another Superman-esque character? If that's the case Black Adam would have been better IMO, at least we get some fatalities.

eve241

Wth?! What's so bad about the screens? Oh, right, no graphical excellence. Forgot how important that is when talking about videogames...

kevm3

There are things that look good about the game, but there are things that need to be improved. The running people through walls ordeal looks great, but what is it with all of the fighters doing the chicken wing with their fighting stances?

I wish the fatalities were more brutal, but then again, what can you really do when you're limited with licensed content. The QTE looks awful as well. The actual characters, such as Flash, are pretty cool though.

This game surprised me. It's actually looking good.

10p8tp5.gif

fernoca

One thing to note is that the game is "more 2D" than the previous ones..and the impressions are pointing to it controlling more like Mortal Kombat II, than MK3's dial-a-combo system..

MisterHero

GCQuinton said:
Hadn't seen this anywhere yet, but Captain Marvel (SHAZAM!) and Liu Kang were announced in the latest Mkast podcast.

I'm cool with Captain Marvel, but if the rosters are gonna limited to a certain amount of people from each side why go with another Superman-esque character? If that's the case Black Adam would have been better IMO, at least we get some fatalities.
YES

and I do want Black Adam. He might be in as a villain, who knows. But they might end up with too many characters or something. :lol

can't wait to see power girl lol

The trailer I downloaded from the PS store looked flipping terrible. The animation was shit and the fighting system looked wonky as hell. Boo.

Raistlin

Monroeski said:
I would be more interested if there was blood involved. Not because I want to see DC characters get fucked up, necessarily, but because the MK part of the title is completely and utterly without value otherwise.

The trailer has plenty of blood (though they need to make it darker imo).

It actually looks pretty fun to be honest.

raYne

Watched a few demos and it's still about what I expected. Which is it being pretty "meh". Saw a few fatalities/brutalities, which should be in one of the posted movies, and Scorpion's skull torch just lights you on fire and you fall over. Really? Superman pretty much steals one of Sheeva's old fatalities and hammers you into the floor. Seriously?

Jesus Midway.

The only thing remotely cool I saw was that the freefall air combat can end with a "super" if you string up enough hits. Namely:
-Superman with hit you with a mid-air super heat vision beam which pushes the other fighter straight to the floor.
-Sub-Zero freezes you in mid-air and hammers you towards the floor with both hands.
-Flash grabs you and spins at superspeed, building up momentum until he sends you flying to the floor below.

..but really, the game is expectedly pretty bad.

reggieandTFE said:
The trailer I downloaded from the PS store looked flipping terrible. The animation was shit and the fighting system looked wonky as hell. Boo.
In other words, it's Mortal Kombat.

Calcaneus

This is going to be simple fun, that's what I want from MK nowadays. Don't try to compete with the other fighters, just make a fun game.

At first this looked like shit on a stick, but now I'm legitimately interested in it. The think Ed Boon said in the Gamespot video about making it more a 2D game excites me.

Oh for crying out loud! What's wrong with you people? If the PSN trailer is anything to go by (and it should be, since it's put together to try to appeal to people) this is the worst fighting game since well before 2001.

I can't believe how ridiculous "gore" and "brutal" moves can make rational, grown-up people excited over a game with so many basic things completely wrong and a clear message that they'll never ever going to change anything because a) it still sells and b) they're completely unable to.

I'm out. Even if I haven't been in since I thought MK3 was vaguely cool, back when I was just about old enough to play it.

Kingpen

raYne said:
Watched a few demos and it's still about what I expected. Which is it being pretty "meh". Saw a few fatalities/brutalities, which should be in one of the posted movies, and Scorpion's skull torch just lights you on fire and you fall over. Really? Superman pretty much steals one of Sheeva's old fatalities and hammers you into the floor. Seriously?

Jesus Midway.

The only thing remotely cool I saw was that the freefall air combat can end with a "super" if you string up enough hits. Namely:
-Superman with hit you with a mid-air super heat vision beam which pushes the other fighter straight to the floor.
-Sub-Zero freezes you in mid-air and hammers you towards the floor with both hands.
-Flash grabs you and spins at superspeed, building up momentum until he sends you flying to the floor below.

..but really, the game is expectedly pretty bad.

In other words, it's Mortal Kombat.

I actually am pretty underwhelmed, and I am a big MK fan. I grew up on the extreme brutality of the series, and it seems watered down here (which it is supposed to be). I'm having a hard time getting excited about an MK game this is not really pushing that particular envelope. The additions of the close combat and the free fall combat look like they are going to get repetitive and tiresome after a while...

This will probably be the first MK I don't buy at launch in a long time.

Jirotrom

SiegfriedFM said:
Oh for crying out loud! What's wrong with you people? If the PSN trailer is anything to go by (and it should be, since it's put together to try to appeal to people) this is the worst fighting game since well before 2001.

I can't believe how ridiculous "gore" and "brutal" moves can make rational, grown-up people excited over a game with so many basic things completely wrong and a clear message that they'll never ever going to change anything because a) it still sells and b) they're completely unable to.

I'm out. Even if I haven't been in since I thought MK3 was vaguely cool, back when I was just about old enough to play it.
who said they were interested in it because of the gore, there isn't even very much gore at all... Worst fighter since 2001, you must not play many fighters.

You know, it does look kind of fun. I haven't played a MK game since MK4 (and MK: Shaolin Monks) but didn't the 3D games after MK4 move on to full 3D with 8-way movement and all that? The fact that it's gone back to a 2D plane has me somewhat interested. Hopefully there's a demo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I watched the stage demo today and I thought it looked really awesome actually. I was kind of surprised. It SHOULD be shitty but it wasn't!

LOL. This looks great. Not a great fighter but a great novelty.

The animation looks clunky or at the very least kind of slow for superheroic combat. But it has normals, specials, and thankfully no style system. I'm in.

Y2Kev said:
I watched the stage demo today and I thought it looked really awesome actually. I was kind of surprised. It SHOULD be shitty but it wasn't!

I think they should remove the up close and falling combat. Both of those just look really awful. The regular combat looks rather nice though.

I'm still lukewarm about the game, but I gotta say...seeing the Flash dash in from one side to lay a few punches into Scorpion's kidneys...was funny as hell.

I won't judge until I've gotten a more appropriate sampling of the game myself, but man does it look to have the most unintentionally hilarious poses/animations in gaming history :lol

At least, from what I'm seeing in the screens/vids.

Ill say it and will say it again. This game will suck bigtime. Same lame animation stance for all characters. When they punch, its like they don't feel like it. They cut and paste moves from old MK games.

mr stroke

Calcaneus said:
I gotta admit, I didn't expect it to look good at all. I'm still surprised at how interested I am to play it.

me too, I was meh at first, but after watching a ton of gameplay videos I am really hyped. Its looking like MK2 with superheros. Can't wait for it.

Log4Girlz

I want an accurate portrayal of Superman. I want to be able to vaporize my enemies with heat vision, and annihilate whole arenas with the shockwave coming off my punches.

How can anyone be hyped for this game? The only thing I will hype about is for it to be canned. But alas, in a world that is not perfect, you can't have perfect games all the time, you have to have shitty ones aswell to maintain balance in this world.

This is probably the only MK game since the first two that I've actually found myself wanting to play.

I personally think it'll be good.

But why do they all have the same stance?

JimiNutz

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Agreed. I wanted to hate this game so badly, and when the first footage came out I felt my hatred was justified, but then at E3 it actually looked really fun to play and they really polished up the animations so it doesn't look as clunky as it used to.

The game looks a lot better in motion and will no doubt shift a shit load of units on the back of TDK hype train. Unfortunately this also probably means we'll be seeing a LOT more MK vs DC games in the future.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Log4Girlz said:
I want an accurate portrayal of Superman. I want to be able to vaporize my enemies with heat vision, and annihilate whole arenas with the shockwave coming off my punches.

So would an accurate portrayal of Batman mean that he can defeat anyone including Superman? :X

Log4Girlz said:

Your description of an accurate portrayal of Superman is not even an accurate portrayal of Superman.

Top Bottom