• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most aesthetically appealing console of all time?

Black Xbox One, no contest.

The Dreamcast is an honorable mention, though. If only it was available in a colour that looked less faded 1990s.

Mihos

Gold Member
Xbox One for me.
Most other consoles look/looked like toys.

I have electronics from the 70s that look just like an xbox.... maybe Sony should sue

Sony%2520TC-248D%2520Quadradial%25208-track%2520tape%2520player%25201%5B1%5D.jpg

Mbrill82

I know it's actually a computer but the design always gave me a console vibe and there were some really great games made for it

Sharp X68000
Theme.png

Noogy

While dated, there was no console I wanted to hold more than the TurboExpress. I was left speechless for a good minute when I first opened mine on Christmas so many moons ago.

KingErich

Banned
The PS4 is by far the most elegant console to date that I have owned. It's a toss as to the least eye appealing, the original purple Gamecube or the Phat PS3

Krejlooc

Banned
There is one big design problem with CDX: Unlike the regular Sega (Mega) CD, Wondermega etc. it does have no internal backup memory to save your games. Which makes it useless for any CD-based games that require saving. What were they thinking?

Your CDX is borked. They have internal memory.

Firebrand

Probably Super Famicom / PAL Super Nintendo and the Sega Saturn for me.

The Sega MegaDrive also looked incredibly cool and "next-gen" when it came out, but as it's the one console I've kept around over the years it doesn't feel as hot to me now, mostly dusty and semi-broken. :p

CREMSteve

I always loved the original Xbox, in all its majestic oversized glory.

Original controller was amazing, too. Fuck the S-controller!

Havoc2049

I always thought the styling of the Atari Jaguar was really cool.
jagPreviewMag1.jpg

The Atari XE Game System looked cool and futuristic.
Atari_XE_Games_System-gen1.jpg

Sega_Mega_Drive_PAL.jpg

The PAL Mega Drive. Definitely the best looking model - no big "16 BIT" (JP model) or "GENESIS" logos that make those models an eyesore imo..

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I know it's actually a computer but the design always gave me a console vibe and there were some really great games made for it

Sharp X68000
Theme.png

Good choice. Chronology should be accepted here since of course they got dated.

My vote is for the Panasonic Q GameCube with that caveat.

Meffer

I like the Wonder Swan Crystal from what I've seen. But I love the look of Nintendo's handhelds, with the original GBA, Micro, SP, DSi and 3DS XL being my favorites.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There are two aesthetics I really like in my consoles:

1. Cute
2. Sleek, Minimalistic, and Monolithic

In the first category, the PSOne (that teeny tiny PS1 redesign) is probably my favorite. The Gamecube is a close runner up (that handle <3), as is the Dreamcast. I'm also a major sucker for handhelds, so if we include those, the Gameboy Pocket line would shoot up to the top of my list, as would the blue and magenta DSi models.

In the second category, my favorite is probably the Xbox One. It's larger than I'd like, but the look of it is still fantastic. The PS4 and PS2 both hit the sleek sweet spot for me, too.

Kuramu

What was that system Sega made (but iI guess didn't release) that looked like the front of a sports car? I like that one best. Neo Geo looks cool too.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably best left for a different thread, but Sega definitely had the best console names.

The original Playstation is just a lovely looking console, unf.

I kind of have a soft spot for the PS2 media varient, the PSX, from seeing in a magazine at the time and thinking it sounded like the greatest thing ever.

ibrPIYFARizJaV.jpg

LAA

Has to be PS4 for me. Just as the Wii in an art museum I believe?, the PS4 definitely deserves to be as well in my opinion.

Portable wise... has to be the Original Vita in terms of looks.
The dark brown DSi XL I see in here particularly looks very nice indeed too, though the DSi XL in general is a pretty nice looking portable too.

The Sega Wondermega (specifically Sega, not the Victor model) is, in my eyes, the best looking console of all time. It's such a sleek looking unit with two green LEDs accentuating the disc tray when the unit powered up. I'd love to own one some day, but units in really nice condition run anywhere from £600-1000.

zcbYxXh.jpg
EterR83.jpg

Consoles:

1. Wii
2. Sega Genesis (Original)
3. Gamecube
4. N64
5. Xbox 360 (Slim)
6. NES
7. PS 2 (Slim)

Handhelds:

1. NDS (Lite)
2. PSP
3. GBA (Original)
4. 3DS (Original) >>> i like the look of it but i bought XL over it. :(
5. Sega Game Gear

Not yet owned:

PS 3
Vita
Wii U
PS 4
Xbone

Quexex

Banned
Nothing compares to the WonderMega. It's a Genesis/Sega CD console, and the cartridges go into that horizontal line on the left of the console.

5uDrxxM.jpg

Was about to post this, the ultimate MD MCD combo, and one sexy beast, the motorised fliptop CD lid is a marvel as well.

Havoc2049

Ever touched one? Super cheap plastic abound.

I own an XE Game System, but I use an Atari 65XE computer (takes up less desk space) for my 8-bit computer gaming needs, along with the grey XE lightgun, XF551 disk drive and XE joystick. The build quality is along the lines of the rest of the Atari line of XE/ST and console quality from that era, which seems solid to me and is comparable to other manufactures from that era, in that segment of the market. My Atari XE gear has seen tons of use over the years and still works like a champ. :)

Top Bottom