• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Disappointing 2014 - Destiny Vs. AC Unity and Halo MCC vs Driveclub

a.wd

Destiny was the biggest disappointment to me personally, I bought into the hype (like a dumbass) and I was entirely onboard with everything that was promised "epic, spanning universes, I played halfway through, got into a fight with some enemies and the complete lack of interesting or engaging AI made me pause and actually go and read about the game. I then realised it was a massive bait and switch job using the halo gameplay feel without the interesting world/story/enemies, also after realising that they had basically gutted the game for DLC. Next day traded it.

Driveclub I was disappointed because for the first 2 weeks it was basically radio silence, with a couple of terse messages on facebook about server issues, no plan around patches, no resolution timescale just "busy, fuck off" For a new franchise I would have thought they would have taken the time to be online daily with community managers and higherups providing feedback and engaging the community, apologising at each point. Also still no PS+ version when Sony sold the paid PS+ on the basis that you would get an awesome driving game to soften the blow of the service? Complete fuckeries.

MCC I see as a massive undertaking and a colossal screw up, but then some people are playing multi (albeit limited playlists), and look at what they were trying to do, 4 games across 3 console generations with the largest collection of (FPS?) multiplayer maps alongside revamped or remastered versions of 4 massive games? I am dissapointed that they screwed up, but I kinda respect the fact that anyone even tried to do something as monumental as that, also all the additional Halo channel stuff is pretty good. So whereas DC was a screwup for a single game that had been delayed, MCC was a compilation and framework for a massive undertaking. I am a consumer advocate, I think if someone is going to screw up giving us this enormous amount of gaming then ok I would be more likely to give them a pass, also community engagement has been good, as far as I am aware they are communicating what is going on daily (from the patch threads that keep popping up on GAF) so that is the best way to deal with a shitty situation.

Unity....Ubishaft...probably one of the best looking open world games for any platforms, with improved parkour elements and a great amount of content. and then you play the janky wonky low res bullshit, but after watchdogs I am no longer disappointed in Ubisofts stuff I just come to expect it.

Which is why I didn't buy it. Vote with your wallets kids!

OneUh8

Destiny followed by Driveclub for me. I don't have a Xbox One yet, however I almost bought one at the MCC launch. So glad I did not otherwise that would probably be at the top of my list.

LAA

Destiny VS AC:U...
Well AC:U pretty much started putting me off a lot shortly after launch with Parity, concerns over performance (Which turned out to be well founded), micro-transactions...etc.
Destiny just set everyones expectations sky high and Destiny went below even average expectations tbh...

So I think AC:U had the biggest disaster in general, but I guess Destiny was more disappointing to me personally because I was really excited for the game.

MCC VS Driveclub...definitely driveclub had the biggest disaster. MCC wasnt so bad I think... I've been able to live without matchmaking since I've got 4 campaigns to beat, and started Halo 3 now. Driveclub still isnt on PS+, so its affected me more than MCC.

However again, MCC mattered more to me, so the online not working is more disappointing personally over driveclub, but driveclub was probably the most disappointing in general.

Ennosuke

Destiny was a huge fail, it felt like it has no soul. Right after finishing the so called story, I sold it.

Unity is good, I had no bug so far, having fun with this.

hamchan

Destiny might be in my top 10 GOTY yet still be the most disappointing game this year. Just by how it plays, how it feels and how it looks, it's fairly fantastic. But the story and mission design is such absolute trash, some of the worst I've ever seen tbh. It's amazing how huge the gap is between certain aspects of the game compared to another.

sam777

Destiny as it looked to be something more than what we finally got.
I also have Halo MCC but if todays patch fixes matchmaking properly then I would not be to bothered about what has gone in the past week as I have been playing SP. Personally speaking of course as most people may only want to play multiplayer.

Apt101

I'm going with Destiny. I get that it scratches a particular itch and that is why it is a continued success. But man. What a hollow experience filled with the worst kinds of grind.

Ovek

7Member7
Driveclub as it wasn't ready nor tested competently in any way. It demonstrated a staggering lack of focus and management at Sony Entrainment and it has me worried for future 1st party releases from Sony in the future.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely Destiny. Game could have been something amazing but it turned out to be quite the opposite.

Jac_Solar

I remember when they talked about Destiny they would compare it to World of Warcraft + Halo, this huge world you could explore, this amazing game you would keep playing years and years from now. That it was going to change gaming, that you would fall in love with the PVP and PVE in this amazing, immersive world. And then you got Borderlands 2.5 with nicer graphics and MMO dailies.

Whoa, whoa, is Destiny similar in size to Borderlands 2?

Vishnu

Unity for me, both ways.
Damn this game is f-ed up for me.

Destiny was alright, at least everything worked.

Destiny is the best game of the year so far, despite some legit, and some overblown problems (the biggest of which is that fact that its so awesome that people are clamoring for more).

Halo MCC will probably be just fine once matchmaking is sorted.

Driveclub is a major fuckup, especially not having the ps+ version out, which feels like a broken promise on top of a broken game.

Unity is just another AC game, and I personally thought that series went down the toilet about four sequels ago.

My personal pick is a different great game that disappointed: Dark Souls 2. I'm just talking the base game, because I haven't checked out the DLC at all, but it just felt a bit off throughout... Except for Majula. Majula is my favorite town.

You know that online of DriveClub is having issues with handling users load due to their programing mistake which they did not expected, so they wanted to avoid more problems with PS+ users in online and complaints for giving broken PS+ game. They still giving PS+ version when the online is fixed so they did not broke promise, just wanted to delay so they could give better product instead of broken game for PS+ users.

Btw did not MS promise of delivering MCC with working online and dedicated servers at launch? Did they not broke promise still (don't know how far they fixed in new update)?

GrizzNKev

Banned
I feel like every game I was looking forward to this year fucked me in some way. Dark Souls 2, Watch Dogs, Destiny, Unity, Driveclub, and MCC. Makes me feel like AAA games are bringing us all down. This year was complete shit for video games.

Vein

Banned
Destiny for sure. It might be the foundation of something great though.

Driveclub mostly works for me and it's my favorite racing game in some time. They also have me free DLC.

MCC will get a LOT of patching.

AssCreed I just don't know if I care anymore, at least at launch.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Breaking down each one.

Destiny is not a bad game. The issue is that it is a disappointing one for a multitude of reasons. It is Activision next big series, so it was being marketed on par with COD. Coming from a developer who created the most popular FPS for most of last decade. People had a lot of expectations for it. Unlike all the others listed that are suffering from technical issues, Destiny didn't have many issues. The game look and played well. Issues arose from what was promised though. It wasn't the change Bungie was hyping it up to be.

AC Unity is it being an undercook game. It is the first game for the gen that actually looks like it belongs there, but they sacrifice everything else for it. Game runs poorly and gameplay is a step back. Ubisoft dropped the ball on it. The game should of released in March of next year with Rogue taking the Holiday Season.

DriveClub is probably the easiest one to figure out. It's another title from a B Studio that is hyped up as a system seller because its an exclusive. Its from the Motorstorm team, so it's going to play out exactly like it. The lack of competition and bundles make it sell, but it will be forgotten once the real competition comes ala GT, Need for Speed, etc. The fact that its not working even after a month speaks volume or that they still haven't released its promises.

MCC. This is my issue with this. Its a port, I have very little expectations for a port. While online issues are to be expected for the first week. I do expect them to iron them out, the offline issues were a joke. 343i is trying show the Halo fans they can take over for Bungie after the disappointing Halo 4 and this is just falling flat on their face. If there are still persisting online issues... well what expectations then people should have for the lead developer in the MS camp.

If we go with most disappointing, I think it has to be Destiny. For a game that was supposed to be MMO-like in nature. It didn't even have chat...

Varg

Banned
Destiny for me game was a complete disaster compared to the quality I expect from bungie.

Unfortunately I haven't tried drive club but from what I see from posts on gaf, it is in the same category as halo mcc, as in server issues and bugs are ruining an otherwise excellent game.

Destiny for me game was a complete disaster compared to the quality I expect from bungie.

i thought the majority of complaints tied to lack of content

The quality of the actual game itself was the strong point i see echoed over and over.

Its just wasn't a meaty enough game

Destiny.

Technical issues can and will be fixed, but the problems with Destiny are so deep rooted in its core gameplay principles and design philosophy that any fix would require them to start the entire IP from scratch

GlamFM

Banned
Destiny is my GOTY guys...

DC still not being on PS+ is the biggest failure I can think of. Very embarrassing.

BPoole

Destiny.

The AC games have always been hit or miss, this one just happened to be a technical shit show as well as a bad game. Destiny has had an unbelievable amount of hype since it's reveal and flat out did not deliver.

BriGuy

Destiny for sure. It may not be a buggy mess like some of the other titles vying this dubious honor, but that's most likely because there's so little actual gameplay there. Big empty vistas randomly populated with enemies, nondescript background object to scan, "hmm, this is going to take some time..." fight hordes of enemies, repeat. Really eager to see the numbers Destiny 2 pulls in.

sobaka770

Banned
Played: Destiny, Watch_Dogs, AC, DriveClub.

The award for disappointment of the year definitely goes to Destiny, it's not even close. If you want to read why I consider it trash in detail, look at my post history, I've beaten this dead horse long enough.

In a nutshell: terrible/nonexistent story, repetitive gameplay, boring late-game progression and itemization are not the game features I expected from Bungie.

IcyEyes

None of them. Really.

Probably CoD advanced warfare.
It's my favorite CoD ever but the online problem (because it's a P2P) is killing my fun with this game.

Destiny is my GOTY guys...

It did fail to deliver on the ambition it set out on

And the foundations of that ambition are clearly laid out in the game. Just not populated in it.

I get the skeleton argument. Still Destiny gave me many great hours of fun despite being basically a shell of what the game was intended to be.

Destiny might be the most fun failure i have played this year.

I don't agree with Halo having MP issues as being worse than Driveclub having Server woes. The campaign is why I bought it, as a first time Halo player, MCC has been flawless.

FourMyle

Åesop;139653991 said:
Destiny is literally the worst game i have played in a decade. Except for the music and graphics ofc

And people jumped down my throat in the pre-release threads because I said the game looked more and more boring with every bit of new footage Bungie released :p

I think there is potential for an amazing game in Destiny, but Bungie would have to do some massive changes/upgrades for Destiny 2 to live up to that potential.

I really love Destiny but I am VERY disappointed by its lack of PvP modes & content. Where are my custom games, CTF, King of the Hill, and vehicle variety? I thought this game was from the guys that made Halo. What the fuck?

Has to be Driveclub for me. Delayed for what essentially amounted to a year... and then it comes out... and people can't even play the game.

I don't understand how a studio that made such great games before this could bungle a huge game launch so badly.

LaNaranja

Nothing comes close to Driveclub. Remember when they claimed it would be a launch game and a slightly modified version would be free with PS+ on day one?

Thorgi

For sure, Destiny is the most disappointing. At least Master Chief Collection is being fixed. With the announcement of a Destiny sequel, I doubt Destiny 1 will ever amount to the game they made it look like. What a shallow, unpleasant experience.

I really love Destiny but I am VERY disappointed by its lack of PvP modes & content. Where are my custom games, CTF, King of the Hill, and vehicle variety? I thought this game was from the guys that made Halo. What the fuck?

Clearly there was some massive issues in its development

I am actually surprised how well the current game runs given how hard of a time AAA developers are having making actual working games nowadays

Top Bottom