• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Disappointing 2014 - Destiny Vs. AC Unity and Halo MCC vs Driveclub

Data Ghost

Destiny marketing told me that was going to become a legend!, things of epic portions awaited me!

Reality: Im sitting there grinding away at a marginally different mission in an area I have been to loads of times before :/

I think people are upset at Destiny because it's not what they wanted.
However, I think it's a great game (even if I'm only a few hours in) and really reminds me why I like playing mmo's so much like World of Warcraft and whatnot.

Thorgi

Destiny marketing told me that was going to become a legend!, things of epic portions awaited me!

Reality: Im sitting there grinding away at a marginally different mission in an area I have been to loads of times before :/

Your point about marketing is actually a problem I have with AAA in general. Not that the marketing was inaccurate; I'm just so tired of being cast as the chosen one or the savior or the one person capable of saving the day. It's such a dull way of doing things.

Glitches and poor optimization are pretty unacceptable. However, from a pure dissapointment perspective, Destiny gets my vote. Functionally, that game is fine. But that also means there aren't any patches that can be released to improve the experience. Further, my expectations were far higher for Destiny compared to the others.

JimiNutz

Banned
At the moment it's Halo MCC but if the patch actually works then Driveclub will be a far worse launch as that wasn't working properly for ages. Id also suggest that Halo MCC offers far more value and if they actually get matchmaking working it will suddenly go from disappointment of the year to GOTY contender. Can't say the same for Driveclub.

Destiny was a huge disappointment to me. Halo is one of my favourite series of all time so I was really eager to see where Bungie went next... Didn't it expect to be such a huge step backwards. Destiny is such a boring game.

I never had any real interest or hype for Assassins Creed Unity but I hear the core gameplay is actually decent, it's just the bugs and glitches that are an issue.
Destiny on the other hand is just a mediocre boring game and no amount of patches can fix that.

cheezcake

Not unlimited time, if the rumors of Bungie having to push the game out the door are to be believed.

Haven't heard those rumours? Unless you're talking about the rumour that they realised they cocked the game up and had to rebuild significant portions of it with a year to go. But again that's Bungie's own failing

Isn't the problem with Unity that it is broken, and not that the game is not great? I don't see why you put it alongside Destiny.
I haven't played any of them, but I'd put Destiny as biggest let down and DC as disappointing just because they've taken thins long and still weren't able to fix it. MCC came out not long ago, and it is a massive undertaking.

Bugs side, Assassin's Creed Unity is a really good game, the gameplay is fun, the side content is varied and meaty (murder mysteries are surprisingly addictive and enjoyable), and, had it not been marred by performance issues, Ubisoft's greed, and generally deplorable practices, it could have been amazing.

WD was meh for me and I didn't have huge expectations to begin with, but the most disappointing would have to be Destiny.

Data Ghost

Your point about marketing is actually a problem I have with AAA in general. Not that the marketing was inaccurate; I'm just so tired of being cast as the chosen one or the savior or the one person capable of saving the day. It's such a dull way of doing things.

Thats the thing isn't it? There is little to no imagination in the storytelling anymore either? Everything is a carbon copy of everything else.

The experience Destiny's marketing said I was going to have is nothing like the reality, which was being bored to tears, shooting generic baddie 225 during generic mission 462 on the same old maps.

Ive gone off track a little though, the failure of the year for me was Driveclub, it makes me angry every time I think about it, its not a nice game to play, and Ive pretty much abandoned it.

As for Unity and MCC, Ive boycotted UNITY (like I did with WatchDogs), and I have no interest in playing through all the Halo games again.

ced

Even though it had a flawless launch and no technical issues, Destiny is still so disappointing, even over the unplayable titles.

Jito

Banned
Definetly Destiny for me. It's a great game that has so many baffling design choices that ruin it for me, hopefully the game is only going to improve with updates.

Prine

Banned
Destiny. Lost faith in Bungie, was worried when they fired Marty.

MCC should be fixed today, and I've not faced technical issues, though I've been playing single player only, so don't think its dissapointing. In fact the compilation is wonderful for a halo nut like myself.

Unity, hands down. My biggest disappointment of the year. Driveclub is pretty amazing actually and fun as fuck online. I'm waiting for MCC to get fixed before I consider an X1 again. Lastly, my cousin and I have had a blast playing Destiny. It's a good game.

destiny is the worst of the bunch by a mile

the others may have technical issues, destiny is still a badly designed game even when it works. a mmo ish shooter with 0 social features, how does that go through the design doc

Destiny. All the hype everywhere for another generic FPS. Unity and DriveClub have issues but they're what I expect and I bought MCC for campaigns and they run perfectly fine.

Deku Tree

Destiny. Lost faith in Bungie, was worried when they fired Marty.

If the music in Destiny is any indication then Bungie firing Marty was a good call. I like the music in Destiny but it is far from Marty's best work and it is very forgettable. I still listen to Halo music sometimes but I woukd never listen to Destiny music when I wasn't playing the game. Marty was probably highly overpaid for the quality he was putting out in Destiny

RowdyReverb

I think Destiny is more disappointing because I liked it so much. It really felt like it could have been sensational if it had a deeper story and stronger universe building.
Part of the letdown had to do with how it was marketed up to release. It had big name voice actors, mysterious story trailers, and a seemingly enormous amount of backstory and lore, but ultimately didn't deliver the story that was hinted at.
That said, I really did enjoy the game, but the question wasn't what game did you enjoy the least.

Destiny is my most played game in 2014.
But even though I hooked I think it could have been so much more if it a had a real story and better more diverse mission design.

AEREC

Destiny is the first time I've been dissapointed by a game I bought in a long time. Expected so much more from Bungie. Still a somewhat fun game but it gets old quick.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Destiny.

People at work bugged me to buy it, I've only played for about 3 hours but I'm already bored as fuck. This is after I just finished Bayonetta 2 which.

Everyone I talk to about it tells me "it's boring until you're level 20". Why should I waste my time waiting to get to level 20 before I start enjoying it? The level design/game design is awful. Artistically it's beautiful, gameplay is tight, but the actual level design/game design is incredibly boring.

AlexMogil

Titanfall.png

I'd argue that this was the biggest disappointment. Maybe it's just me, but the hype around this game was surreal.

The fact that people even forgot about it, a few months after release, speaks volumes.

Between this and Destiny, which has less content out of the box?

So yeah, I agree with you. It's the reason I didn't get Destiny.

This is what I mean by people chiming in and haven't even played the game. This statement alone is "and people can't even play the game." is why I don't like these threads. You could play day and you could play online day one, it wasn't consistent and features was missing, but you could play online day one.

I paid for PS+ to play it. I have not been able to play it. I'd call that a huge fuck up. I find it absolutely hilarious that people are still defending this game.

You "could" play online. Then what about the tons of people in the OT not being able to connect? I assume you "could" use the lottery for investment purposes because hey, people win, right?

If the netcode was working without problems during beta how woulf they have known tgere was a bug in it?

This has been discussed ad nauseam. Open Beta is your answer. Honestly, if you're releasing a "free" game that every PS+ owner has the ability to download, was touted at your opening conference and pushed a huge bonus to PS+ players, try actually stress testing instead of an invite-only closed beta. But, that's passed. I've stopped really caring about the game and have moved on to other games. They had a chance with me, they failed.

RudoIudo

Destiny is still a great game, people (critics included) just got incredibile and absurd expectation for that game.

We kinda knew the number of planets explorable prior the release (maybe during the beta), and still people was disappointed about not Being able to explore all the fucking universe.

Btw 35€£ for 2 Dlc without new planets is still very sad.

BokehKing

Banned
Åesop;139653991 said:
Destiny is literally the worst game i have played in a decade. Except for the music and graphics ofc
The hyperbole surrounding the hate for this game is unreal

It's as if people didn't play the alpha and beta and didn't realize they were not getting
Skyrim meets halo meets mass effect meets no man's sky meets borderlands meets f-zero

Sephzilla

Destiny.

MCCs issues can be written off as tech issues that can be patched. Destiny is working as intended and it's still a let down

xrnzaaas

For me it was The Walking Dead Season Two. It was nowhere near the quality of season one and I won't be making any pre-orders for season three.

Even though I think Destiny is the most enjoyable one of the bunch in a lot of ways, I'd still nominate it as the most disappointing. Halo will get fixed. Driveclub is probably the most technically broken of the bunch, but I don't think the expectations vs reality spread is anywhere near as high as Destiny.

Destiny's problems are on the creative end and not the technical. It's hard to patch bad game design.

angrygnat

Never played any of the AC series and Destiny was more a disappointment because of what should have been. The game itself was still pretty good taken without any preconceived notions. At least you can play the single player on MCC, or at least that's what I'm reading. I can't even play Drive Club at all. You see, I'm not buying it. I had every intention of trying out the PS+ version. The one that was all hyped up 8 months before the PS4 launch. Then got delayed a year. Then collapsed completely the day before the game was released. I have been known to take some leaps of faith before but not this time.

geordiemp

Destiny only because I thought it would be better than it is.

What kills it is only 7 strikes - that's not enough, after a while (3 x 29 characters, flawless raider trophy) I think I could blindfold and roughly know enemy spawns / locations and numbers.

Its sad when you playing a strike for the Nth time and you can pre-aim every enemy at their spawn with the correct weapon.

They need variation in the strikes - think variable spawns that Mas effect 3 had, even when doing the same map it played differently.

In destiny strikes play the same way each time making them a chore after a while.

I still played it allot and got my monies worth for a month, but I cant go back.

I did not expect much from others anyway....Unity did not buy it, Driveclub await for PS+ and MCC done that to death on 360 thanks.

Thorgi

For me it was The Walking Dead Season Two. It was nowhere near the quality of season one and I won't be making any pre-orders for season three.

Yeah, Walking Dead Season Two had me disappointed in Telltale in general. Especially with the way they treated (and talked about) the autistic character. Really upsetting to hear from a studio I once adored.

Apex_Predator

Neo Member
Destiny, without a doubt. Luckily, I backed out of getting the digital version of the game shortly before release. I just had a gut feeling that the game wasn't going to be all that. I ended up trading it in after a week for $45 and have not regretted it.

Sojgat

Destiny has been my biggest gaming disappointment since Halo 2.

It's made worse, because it's clear to see how great it could have been. Core shooting mechanics, music, and art direction are fantastic, but everything else is just so half-baked.

Cavalier

Banned
Not many bought DriveClub to begin with so you won't be seeing that.

I played the hell out of Destiny beta before deciding to buy it so I already knew what I expected from the game. So not that.

I just didn't buy any hype and didn't expect video games to change the world or wipe my ass. The only thing I was disappointed with was Halo MCC multiplayer. Somehow I knew online wouldn't work as well so I waited out until GAF tried it out first. I hope it gets completely fixed by Christmas.

KingJ2002

I would say that it would be DriveClub overall. It was touted as Sony's Project Gotham Racing, it was supposed to be the great racing launch title for Sony to showcase the system and in the end it lacked a ton of the style that made PGR great plus the constant online problems put the nail in the coffin. I can imagine that the game will only get better as the DLC is released but it's a shame that this franchise died at launch... it had a ton of potential. I would say it's more disappointing that the series may never see it's potential as a great franchise.

but Destiny on the other hand... I have Destiny and still play regularly cause the core game is still fun... although the package as a FPS is lacking in options. Destiny is a testament to how you still need a compelling single player campaign mode to win the majority of consumers over. Can't say the game will have an Epic Star Wars universe and have no Luke Skywalker.

AC Unity I havent played... I opted for rogue seeing all the bugs and the micro-transaction madness. Once they fix the bugs I'll probably pick it up.

For the sheer number of targets missed, it has to be DriveClub.

Missed a release date, missed a PS Plus version that Sony hyped for literally over a year, missing weather effects (that it boasted about pre-release - still not patched in by the way), online is a mess on a scale comparable to Sim City 4 - and then the game itself is.... meh. Weird mechanics, terrible AI, very limited replay value.

Now that's how you pull off a disappointment.

Second place I'd put MCC, though that could slip to third behind Unity if today's patch fixes half the issues. Destiny, a victim of its own hype. It's a disappointment, sure - but one more owing to the community hyping it than the developer / publisher.

farisr

For me, Destiny and MCC.

Destiny, despite having played many hours was a disappointment. I wasn't looking forward to the game for how many hours it will provide, I wanted something that felt compelling to play on my own at the very least, especially when they announced there will be no local multiplayer, and also expected Bungie to release a game that would compare in quality to their Halo games.

MCC, was looking forward to this being the definitive version, matchmaking issues galore, framerate issues in campaign, single player, and even worse in splitscreen (which I was really looking forward to). Not the definitive version I was hoping for, maybe with enough patches it can be, it just isn't there yet.

AC U I wasn't really looking all that forward to (so, hard for something like that to be disappointing) and the game performs okay on my PC. Driveclub I didn't plan on playing online at all, so the main thing I'm disappointed with is the club cars aspect. The game delivered on he gameplay, graphics, content front for me.

Neverwas

Destiny would have been a good $20 Live/PSN title. As a $60 major release, it's nothing short of insulting, and the $20 "expansion" content is just more salt in the wound. I got the digital guardian edition, so I'm stuck with the expansions either way, but Bungie won't be getting any money from me in the future. The went from top tier dev to complete joke, as far as I'm concerned.

Zabka

Destiny for me. The gameplay itself feels so damn good but it's completely let down by the rest of the game.

ps3ud0

For someone who has played 100+ hours into Destiny I still would say its my biggest disappointment this year - what I played just isnt anywhere near what I was led to believe. Ultimately though it has me hooked and I still look forward to a time where they fulfill evverything they 'promised' (aka Destiny 2). Bungie though hold no weight with me now after Destinys release...

Out of the technical ones (which I have to put Unity into as not played it so dont know if the gameplay is a disappointment) its a tie with Halo MCC and Driveclub - how a remaster can be so badly performed amazes me and the developers involved should be ashamed, then we get onto the matchmaking. With Driveclub its a very similar story, its a very decent racer but my god how did they get the social/online functions so wrong that they still havent sorted out what the issue(s) is.

2014 has been a poor year for AAA releases/launches (it being the first year of new consoles isnt a good enough excuse), so glad I prefer non-games like Transistor :p

EDIT: Actually Halo MCC is probably ahead of Driveclub as it was meant to be a 'love letter' to Halo fans from MS - its great value for money but doesnt make you feel 'loved' at all...

ps3ud0 8)

Ominym

Banned
Destiny by a country mile. The Master Chief Collection will be fixed someday. Assassin's Creed: Unity will be fixed one day. Drive Club will be fixed one day.

But my problems with Destiny are at the very core of that game. It hurt my opinion of a developer I trusted. There isn't anything they're going to be able to do to fix that game.

Staf

Fortunately i haven't played any of those games. I have, however, played Watch dogs which is painfully average and disappointing.

I thought MCC and Unity were great games!!
Destiny however was boring as shit.
MCC has had a disappointing MP launch but I'm replaying the campaigns with a friend and bro, with no issues.
Unity is a great single player game, BUT my friend and I didn't do our research and we thought that Unity was full blown co op, man we were so hyped. But it only has co op missions, separate from the single player. That's our fault for not researching before we buy, but I swear Ubi was marketing it as a full co op game.

Top Bottom