• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Disappointing 2014 - Destiny Vs. AC Unity and Halo MCC vs Driveclub

Destiny by a landslide for me personally. MCC is broken for me (and most everyone else) currently but I knew what it was and it will be fixed.

Destiny... I feel like it was a bait and switch and it dropped the ball big time. The 12 hrs of content that needs to be replayed over and over and over... No story.... Horrible horde mode campaign... Rng fiasco... Handful of strikes.... One raid... Not enough planets/locations.... No roaming enemies.... All enemy races are the same... I could go on but I'm sad talking about it :(

PooBone

So you calling me a tool for enjoying a game for what it ACTUALY is? As opposed to perceived.

Man you must be extra bitter over your purchase.

Unless i read your comment wrong?

I'm calling you a tool for thinking people are tools for buying a product expecting it to be something it wasn't. Good for you for avoiding the hype/marketing machine. I have been a Bungie fan for 15+ years, and I ate that hype up. What I got was inferior to any Bungie product I've ever paid money for. (I technically never paid for Oni) WIth the legacy of Halo behind it and the marketing for something it wasn't, you're damn right that Destiny sold a lot of copies to people who otherwise wouldn't have if they'd know what they were in for. (me included)

Hence all the disappointment. I'm glad you like your game. You'll certainly have plenty of people to play with for the next ten years. But I and many others in this thread probably aren't going to be a part of it. We'll see how similar their business model is when Destiny 2 comes out.

pr0cs

I've only played Destiny but kept up on a lot of the other games mentioned.
I would say that Destiny is one of the biggest disappointments in a long time for me. 15 hours in and I would say I have little to no incentive to go back and play again, it's such a dull experience.
It could have been good, the mechanics are good but the content is so dull, the story lifeless and the grind..dear god.. the grind is why I will likely never go back.
Driveclub deserves and honorable mention, it has been a VERY long time since a game has had such a terrible release... not since the haydays of MMPOG games have I seen such a trainwreck. The fact they keep selling it is baffling to me.

Varvor

this negativity about almost every single "AAA" game is terrible. maybe people shouldnt hype like crazy for month, then they wouldnt be so dissapointed.
every single game... its not 60fps, is too short/long, only 900p, story sucks. nagnagnag.

i played destiny, driveclub and right now playing unity. all great games. stop complaining! go play and have fun.

Amen,

I had to stop and think about what is the most desapointing game of the year for me. I dont think i got one this year, all that i bought for this year (thats the key word here "bought") seemed solid all atound. Drive club online sucked, but didnt stop me from enjoying a race offline, perhaps AI was a bit assholish but its solid game none thr less. I already made my statment about Destiny. Dark Souls 2 was not as good as DS1 but still gave me lots of entertainment....so i am not sure.

Now Dragon Age 2 was a clusterfuck i regreted, but that was a new game, and it was on sale.

Fbh

Unity.

I had high hopes for the game. It was the first "truly next gen" AC, and all the details made me believe they would fix my issues with the franchise (better stealth, better mission design, better combat,etc). Plus co-op AC sounded great.

But it turned out to be technical mess with crappy framerate for the sake of crowds with ridiculous pop-in that add nothing to the game, mission design that was only slightly better, stealh that is still bad, combat that is still bad and uninspired coop missions.

Destiny was dissapointing in that it wasn't all that I hoped it would be. But I still find it to be a very enjoyable game (specially the pvp) and I still play it frequently. Plus I don't share many if the negative views people have about it. I don't give a crap about the story in a game like this and I find the pvp to be really fun and not unbalanced at all

Haven't played the other 2.

sp3000

The only piece of good content in Destiny is the Raid. It's probably one of the best experiences in gaming that I've played. For that alone, I can't say I'm disappointed in Destiny. It's the only FPS this year that has done something different than those that came before

Unfortunately, it's locked behind about 20 hours of grinding and utterly terrible RNG

Destiny is the biggest POS Big budget game I have ever played. It just sucks. And I saw it a mile away when I realized that the Beta was the same damn thing over and over and over and the hype machine that was the Destiny thread tried to convince me otherwise. This is the first game I have ever traded in.

MCC is dissapointing for me but I have more fun playing a broken MCC than a functional Destiny. And by all accounts *fingers crossed* the patch seems to be pretty substantial today.

sobaka770

Banned
So you calling me a tool for enjoying a game for what it ACTUALY is? As opposed to perceived.

It's not our fault that Bungie created a hype machine by advertising the wrong game: ships, planets, lore - all heavily advertised and all we get is loading screen, empty MMO space and nothing respectively. This game wouldn't sell a million without developer pedigree and marketing. I understand hardcore fans though, they exist for every game (Vampie:Bloodlines comes to mind), but you will be in minority in this thread and a lot of other threads.

The anagram of the word tool is loot? I guess?? I don't know what the other poster wanted to say by that but I don't think he/she was calling anyone a tool, that's rude :)

Oh god, my opinion is different from yours. Some one call the police. But do elaborate this statment? At least i tried to explain my reasoning and thinking process, most folks do a drive by statement like "X game sucks because of reasons" but never give definitive reasons.

Or worse yet, do what you did with your responce.

Sure, let's just brand everyone who dislikes the game as tools because they don't like the game. That sure gives you moral superiority doesn't it. I don't really think insulting people and sounding like a corporate shill gives your post much merit, and if you had any sense you'd admit that it was a joke post even if it wasn't to stop yourself looking stupid.

Hence all the disappointment. I'm glad you like your game. You'll certainly have plenty of people to play with for the next ten years. But I and many others in this thread probably aren't going to be a part of it. We'll see how similar their business model is IF Destiny 2 comes out.
Fixed that for you. I'll pass on a game that releases half content games for full retail price then have people buy the other half as "expansion" packs bc they want more money from the consumers.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The only game so far, this year, I've been disappointed in has been Civilization Beyond Earth. Simply because I expected more of a TNG game but got a TOS game. Destiny and DriveClub are great and Ubisoft game du jour is always terrible.

Varvor

I'm calling you a tool for thinking people are tools for buying a product expecting it to be something it wasn't. Good for you for avoiding the hype/marketing machine. I have been a Bungie fan for 15+ years, and I ate that hype up. What I got was inferior to any Bungie product I've ever paid money for. (I technically never paid for Oni) WIth the legacy of Halo behind it and the marketing for something it wasn't, you're damn right that Destiny sold a lot of copies to people who otherwise wouldn't have if they'd know what they were in for. (me included)

Hence all the disappointment. I'm glad you like your game. You'll certainly have plenty of people to play with for the next ten years. But I and many others in this thread probably aren't going to be a part of it. We'll see how similar their business model is when Destiny 2 comes out.

A fair point there, I'll concede.

Been bungie fan since 2001 (on and off), i can see how my gamer side and its rationale would overwrite my business (finance major who considered to go to marketing) acumen. But having worked for years in finance and real estate has made me one cynical bastard which lead to be skeptical or at least cautious about a lot of things i hear....especally if it involves money.

Thats the core issue with gaming of 2014. Publishers have pulled the biggest bate and switch ever on their audience. Marketing has become precision grade science in pushing audience to the right direction they want them to. They ramped up the budgets for thouse departments because games looooooove them fucking rose colored glasses and eat this shit up real good like.

Game after game comes out where folks whine and bitch about the game (technical issues aside, because thats a shitty business practice, but thats due to deadlines and lack of fucks to be given by majority of publishes), because of the. Allowing the unquestioned hype to take over.

Regardless, tool might have been strong word...but people were sheep to fall for it and now getting pissed of for falling for it. It happened to best of us. Hell, some day soon game will come and make me fall for it despite my cynicism.

Mogwai

Unity is a mess. But AC games are never well regarded for their performance. So I wasn't completely surprised that Unity was a stinker in terms of performance. Still the performance are far below what's common for an AAA release.

DriveClub is a disaster, but at least it looked good. I'll rate it when if I ever get the PS+ version...

Destiny on the other hand. Wow... I can't think of a game that has ever been so hyped and then failed so hard. I don't understand how Bungie were able to create a game with such boring story and content. The game did absolutely ZERO to move forward the multiplayer FPS genre.

Halo MCC. Meh, whatever.

Ninjician

Banned
Destiny is my GOTY.

I'd say based on the expectations, the MCC is probably the biggest letdown.

Being a Halo fan and all, I'm leaving the past behind, and moving onto the next evolution, which is Destiny.

Varvor

Sure, let's just brand everyone who dislikes the game as tools because they don't like the game. That sure gives you moral superiority doesn't it. I don't really think insulting people and sounding like a corporate shill gives your post much merit, and if you had any sense you'd admit that it was a joke post even if it wasn't to stop yourself looking stupid.

I stand by it. If you been lead to believe something which is not true with out taking steps to comsider the false facts or proceed with caution...you deserve what was comming to you.

Joey Ravn

Banned
From what I played (or, rather, what I couldn't play), Unity. It's a fucking broken mess on PC.

Pokemon ORAS is the most disappointing game this year for not including the battle fontier.

Sure. But ORAS is a remake of Ruby and Sapphire, neither of which had the Battle Frontier in the first place. I understand that it's pity that such an amazing feature is not included in the game, but you can't hold it against ORAS not having a feature not originally found in the games it is a remake of.

PooBone

A fair point there, I'll concede.

Been bungie fan since 2001 (on and off), i can see how my gamer side and its rationale would overwrite my business (finance major who considered to go to marketing) acumen. But having worked for years in finance and real estate has made me one cynical bastard which lead to be skeptical or at least cautious about a lot of things i hear....especally if it involves money.

Thats the core issue with gaming of 2014. Publishers have pulled the biggest bate and switch ever on their audience. Marketing has become precision grade science in pushing audience to the right direction they want them to. They ramped up the budgets for thouse departments because games looooooove them fucking rose colored glasses and eat this shit up real good like.

Game after game comes out where folks whine and bitch about the game (technical issues aside, because thats a shitty business practice, but thats due to deadlines and lack of fucks to be given by majority of publishes), its gonna damage this industry.

Regardless, tool might have been strong word...but people were sheep to fall for it and now getting pissed of for falling for it. It happened to best of us. Hell, some day soon game will come and make me fall for it despite my cynicism.

I should have seen it coming, especially considering Activision made it one of their 3 properties to get sequelized/driven into the ground for stacks of money.

The DLC prices and content you get for a game that otherwise already feels like its' lacking in content is just offensive.

a.wd

Exatly, it got lion share of the hatting folks because they bought the game they did not expect. Fell for the matketting machine, followed by cognitive dissonance.

Now they left the scene to go back to CoD:AW (great game, i love it as well) or what ever other hole they crawled in to all bitter over 60 to 120 dollar hole in their pocket and hating on it.

While Destiny community is doing strong, going on to 10 OTs like a champ. But to each their own and every one finds their own peace somewhere.

i am glad you enjoy Destiny, but you say that people arent doing their research and hate on a game for what it isn't?

Well here is what it is according to Bungie COO Pete Parsons. Now read that and tell me if that is the same game that you are enjoying?

PooBone

Being a Halo fan and all, I'm leaving the past behind, and moving onto the next evolution, which is Destiny.
*shudders*

I hope there's not many more out there like you.

i am glad you enjoy Destiny, but you say that people arent doing their research and hate on a game for what it isn't?

Well here is what it is according to Bungie COO Pete Parsons. Now read that and tell me if that is the same game that you are enjoying?

I remember reading that when it came out. He's either completely full of it or they thought it would be a good idea after the fact to take out everything compelling about the game.

Mononoke

Banned
AC Unity, by a long shot. Game is a broken mess. And is a joke.

I can understand people saying Destiny, since this is a thread about "disappointment". And that can range quite a bit. I mean, a "good" game or "decent" game could still be a disappointment in some ways.

That said, I happen to agree with the majority of the criticisms thrown at Destiny. My only thing is, I really enjoyed my first 30 hours with it. I played with a group of people, and generally had a blast traversing the new planets, doing raids, and playing the main missions. The game for me, just fell flat when the game was over + my level hit 20. All the end game grinding, and just the overall lack of things to do, really killed the game being more than a 30 hour thing.

The plot was awful (there was no plot). I guess playing with friends, kind of made me forget about that. So I'm torn. I think when all was said and done, I can step back and say Destiny was a disappointment. A game I won't ever go back to. But I also can't say I didn't enjoy any of it. I still got a good chunk of entertainment out of it (extreme flaws aside). Whereas a game like Unity is straight up broken and unacceptable.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I would say Destiny, though Halo is a close second.

Destiny is just an average game - Halo is a fantastic game that's currently unplayable for now.

PooBone

Bungie quote from one year before Destiny launched:

"We like to tell big stories and we want people to put the Destiny universe on the same shelf they put Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Star Wars"

Lies? Laughable? Acceptable? You be the judge.

jorma

is now taking requests
Destiny. Was pretty hyped, but got bored so quickly. Will probably never start it up again.

Unity was the other way around. Set myself up for massive dissapointment when i heard about all the framerate issues and kinda regretted my preorder (but still didn't cancel it). And then it turns out the game is actually great fun despite the issues!

Varvor

In my previous stament, i did mention being aware of the bullshit that went on under thr hood. I suspect a lot of changes were part of the co-partnership with Activision and them shoe horning the bullshit down Bungie throats.

Pehaps Bungie believed they can be more like Blizzard (i know Activ does not own Bungie) and be more or less untouched by Activision (lol), but in the end i am sure they would have told us about changes if they could have if big bro would not be watching.

I very much doubt that Bungie invesioned them selfs trading Microsoft for bigger assholes which are Activision. Businessman inside me is still buffled by this; any fucking analyst could have predicted this bullshit from crapy track record Activision has.

They say: Past peformance is not always indicator of future. But it sure as hell gives go idea what to expect. I guess Bungie really needed that cash.

PooBone

In my previous stament, i did mention being aware of the bullshit that went on under thr hood. I suspect a lot of changes were part of the co-partnership with Activision and them shoe horning the bullshit down Bungie throats.

Pehaps Bungie believed they can be more like Blizzard (i know Activ does not own Bungie) and be more or less untouched by Activision (lol), but in the end i am sure they would have told us about changes if they could have if big bro would not be watching.

I very much doubt that Bungie invesioned them selfs trading Microsoft for bigger assholes which are Activision. Businessman inside me is still buffled by this; any fucking analyst could have predicted this bullshit from crapy track record Activision has.

They say: Past peformance is not always indicator of future. But it sure as hell gives go idea what to expect. I guess Bungie really needed that cash.

Yeah, they must have been hard up after they'd bought their way out of Microsoft's first party ownership and then shipped ODST and Reach, which couldn't have sold well.

/sarcasm

Lots of ill-will in my heart towards Bungie and Activision these days.

Apathy

It's without a doubt Destiny.

Ubisoft is going to Ubisoft and something was bound to be messed up with unity just like with watchdog, so no one ever sets their hopes to high for one of their games

Destiny was supposed to be Bungies game made without being restricted to Halo or Microsoft's specifics. Between the masive marketing hype and the massive Xbox fans hype of Bungie as the Xbox developer gods, I, and many others were expecting a revolutionary game. Instead we got a game with solid gunplay, the worst and most disjointed story of the year, and the worst loot mechanic from a lot game since vanilla Diablo 3.

Varvor

Yeah, they must have been hard up after they'd bought their way out of Microsoft's first party ownership and then shipped ODST and Reach, which couldn't have sold well.

/sarcasm

Lots of ill-will in my heart towards Bungie and Activision these days.

But were they bad games? Only issue that i am aware of is them suffering from stigma of not being main line halo games. There was issue with Reach mp but i never played that part of the game.

Played both games, and liked reach and looooved ODST (dat music).

Hell even MCC has issues right now ironicaly...being Bungies previous beloved product being re,ade by i343. Which is another hot contender in this topic.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Where is Titanfall OP?

That game was the second coming of Christ back in Jan-March, now no one even remembers it came out?

E the Shaggy

I would definitely say there's a difference between the "worst" of these and the biggest disappointment.

Destiny isn't the worst when stacked up against Unity, but Assassin's Creed is getting stale anyway whereas Destiny was Bungie's first big game after Halo. Expectations were through the roof and the game is just.... all right.

It does have far and away the worst story campaign I've ever seen in a game though.

destiny for me. the game works fine. its just a bad game and is beyond saving IMO

to me, the AC series has always been a piece of shit. so the newest entry also being a piece of shit was not really a drop in quality and/or surprise

halo:mcc will be addressed in a patch then the majority of issues will subside and people will be happy again. it and sunset overdrive are still the top 2 reasons to own an xbone

driveclub issues were inexcusable and went on for far too long. but they are mainly addressed now and it is an otherwise decent game

Varvor

I would definitely say there's a difference between the "worst" of these and the biggest disappointment.

Destiny isn't the worst when stacked up against Unity, but Assassin's Creed is getting stale anyway whereas Destiny was Bungie's first big game after Halo. Expectations were through the roof and the game is just.... all right.

It does have far and away the worst story campaign I've ever seen in a game though.

Good point, Destiny has its issues.

But at its core....thr shooting and perhaps raiding(buggy?) are pure gold and bliss.

Problem is that a lot of folks in this thread ended treating it as one and the same meaning worst/disappointing. Which really ended up bugging me.

Bungie ended up saying a lot of damb shit that ended up biting them, marketting was reved up to 11 and people ate that stuff like hot cakes. Then they came back and said that this is worst shit ever and proceed to shit all over the game.

At least it does not have API, now thats a plaguenon video games but especialy on comsole/PC games. Thank god for that.....

SaitoH

-I actually really enjoy Destiny and even bought the Season pass.

-AC:U I returned when I received my pre-order.

-Driveclub multiplayer has some very unfortunate issues, but I really enjoy playing the game.

-MCC I wasn't interested in because I already played the games before.

So I guess out of that selection I'd have to pic Destiny simply because it didn't live up to the hype, even though I really enjoy the game.

Destiny was exactly what I expecteed it to be- a 7 or 8/10 game that had enough good ideas in it for the sequel to be a 9 or 10/10 game (see also: Assassin's Creed 1, Zone of the Enders.) ACU would probably have also been what I expected had it not been a buggy unstable POS with shitty microtransactions. Thus, for me ACU was the bigger disappointment.

DC and MCC had similar launch issues, but online is a hell of a lot more integral to MCC than it is to DC, so I'll give that one to MCC.

PooBone

But were they bad games? Only issue that i am aware of is them suffering from stigma of not being main line halo games. There was issue with Reach mp but i never played that part of the game.

Played both games, and liked reach and looooved ODST (dat music).

Hell even MCC has issues right now ironicaly...being Bungies previous beloved product being re,ade by i343. Which is another hot contender in this topic.

I was being sarcastic. ODST and Reach were great, if not my favorite Halo games, and sold a shit ton.

Dark Souls II...JK

Destiny for sure. Pissed about MCC but they promised to fix it and should be fine going forward. Destiny is the most repetitive waste of time, and I somehow kept playing. I feel really bad for the people who bought into the deluxe edition for the DLC which will be more of the same crap.

The fact that I didnt even buy AC: Unity is testament to how I feel about that series. Assassin's Creed, much like Watch_Dogs, and to some extent Far Cry, are all too similar for me and quite frankly the shit is played out.

slit

Destiny, and this whole generation has been a disappoiting and depressing so far, except for the one bright spot that is Nintendo.

CDV13

I personally enjoy Destiny a lot. The multiplayer is very fun. Campaign obviously was garbage in terms of content, but i feel like people disregard the PvP too often.

As for a comparison with AC, I haven't played it so I can't comment there.

MCC is really disappointing so far because what is there is awesome, we can barely access half of that greatness though, which blows. If this patch doesn't fix things, and they miss their first two weekends, it'll suck.

Arklite

Well I couldn't even justify buying DriveClub at its broken state, so that'd be my most disappointing turn out. Destiny is the only game out of those four that actually works flawlessly too, so don't think it compares to a list of buggy games.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Destiny without a doubt. There's a good game underneath AC Unity's bugs. Destiny is just a gigantic gaping hole of grinding called Absence of Content.

a.wd

Good point, Destiny has its issues.

But at its core....thr shooting and perhaps raiding(buggy?) are pure gold and bliss.

Problem is that a lot of folks in this thread ended treating it as one and the same meaning worst/disappointing. Which really ended up bugging me.

Bungie ended up saying a lot of damb shit that ended up biting them, marketting was reved up to 11 and people ate that stuff like hot cakes. Then they came back and said that this is worst shit ever and proceed to shit all over the game.

At least it does not have API, now thats a plaguenon video games but especialy on comsole/PC games. Thank god for that.....

the problem wasn't marketing people chatting shit, it was developers telling us that gambling/trading was in the game, it was that the COO said it was in the vein of epic franchises like star wars, it was the fact that they were telling journalists that there was a universe to explore, with no other form of knowing about the game how else were we supposed to know what it was? Oh and they didn't deliver any review copy so we couldn't get a handle on what they had delivered critically? That is shady shit straight from Bungie. This was not a case of believing hype from marketing, or overinflating a game beyond where it could have been, this is straight up lies, and to blame users in that case is wrong.

Again I am glad you like it, but even the most ardent fan has to admit that is bad practice.

Top Bottom