• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Disappointing 2014 - Destiny Vs. AC Unity and Halo MCC vs Driveclub

sobaka770

Banned
Destiny.

MCCs issues can be written off as tech issues that can be patched. Destiny is working as intended and it's still a let down

You can say the same about AC:U and Driveclub. When the devs actually fix these games in 2 months, they'll go from unplayable to very good (and will be cheaper). Destiny is not salvageable without major rework.

Konosuke

Destiny, a victim of its own hype. It's a disappointment, sure - but one more owing to the community hyping it than the developer / publisher.

Every PlayStation press event since 2013's PS4 reveal had Destiny featured, there were bundles, live action trailers and even a google maps feature! It's unfair to blame it all on the community, especially because everyone was starved for a big game, PlayStation users didn't have Titanfall and even that wasn't enough for Xbox owners.

Bgamer90

Banned
I really don't want to make light of Halo MCC's issues but I've had more fun with it (even with the issues) than I've had with Destiny and the game should be even better with today's patch.

Destiny was just a very boring grind for me.

KOMANI

KOMANI
AC unity. Because destiny is like crack to most people, and they enjoy it.

Halo MCC. Because everyone ( including those who didn't own an Xbox 1 ) were psyched about it and are letdown they can't get an online match going. Halo Mcc was supposed to be a system seller , driveclub isn't.

Carbonox

Destiny is extremely enjoyable but also extremely shallow. There's no incentive to do anything anymore once you get to a high level.

Unity however, underneath the technical issues and what have you, is a fantastic game. In many ways the best AC game but unfortunately at the same time, many elements (primarily the technical ones) bog it down to shitville at times.

Personally Unity is the better game. Haven't played the other two so can't comment.

So Destiny is my choice between the two in terms of most disappointing for a large game. My most disappointing game of the whole year though would probably be The Evil Within however but that's irrelevant to the discussion at hand as that game didn't/doesn't have the attention and gravitas of Destiny, AC, etc.

zewone

Destiny is probably the second best game of the year behind Dark Souls 2.

AC Unity's micro transactions may be annoying, as well as the frame rate, but its an AC game that doesn't include sailing and has co op. A huge step in the right direction.

MCC is trash for the time being. A tarnish to the Halo name. But that can be fixed, I hope.

DC I never played, but the situation sounds bad and I was looking forward to the PS Plus edition.

Destiny I think.

MCC might get fixed tomm. DC will probably be fixed soon too. Ditto for ACU.

Destiny's problem isnt QA or bugs. Unless they throw in a shit ton of free content (which they arent, even the paid DLC is a rip off) the game is just a dissappointment no matter what else happens.

The biggest gulf between what was promised and what was delivered is certainly for Destiny.

Titanfall is a close second, I know everyone has forgotten about it, which shouldn't have happened to the game that was gonna redefine online gaming.

The others aren't even playing in the same league to be honest.

StuBurns

Banned
I wrote off buying Driveclub when they confirmed 30fps, so it being a disaster isn't a personal source of any woe.

This is only the second AssCreed I'm skipping (Revelations being the first), despite thinking most of the games are crap. I was very excited when they announced Paris. Shy of London or an Eastern setting, Paris was always near the top of my list of locations I was hoping they'd visit. I was already not planning to buy it before the parity stuff, by the time the final quality was established, I was long passed tempted by it.

I don't have an XBO, but I wouldn't have bought the MCC anyway. 3 is the only one I'd care about replaying, but I think people are kind of overestimating the issues with the package. There's a pretty good chance DC will never be fixed really, certainly the + version could very well never happen. The MCC will be fixed, MS can't not do it.

I was very excited for Destiny, I even loved the Alpha, I'm not entire sure why I skipped it, certainly the reception on GAF hurt it, but also working and a couple of friends not getting it when they had also planned to.

I get why the thread is two separate face offs, so to speak, but I would have to say Destiny is the biggest disappointment of the four, because it's the only one I actually expected to buy and enjoy until very shortly before its release.

As an aside, Drakengard 3 and Ground Zeroes were my actual biggest disappointments this year.

Raist

Banned
Unity. It's a broken mess that should never have been released in the state it's in.
I mean it's pretty bad when cutscenes are glitching left and right.

Halo MCC. While it's likely going to be fixed quicker than DC, it's also MS's biggest IP ever by far, and the multiple issues with online clashes quite dramatically with the promises of flawless MP thanks to the cloud.

Micerider

As a game Watch dogs is way more disapointing than AC: U to me. I would even consider AC U as the best AC since Brotherhood if the framerate was not fucked up.

Never had high hopes for Destiny though.

Driveclub and MCC are both bad for their technical issues, but Halo has been known for it's multi so it looked like a bigger slap to their fanbase's face to me (that said both games are also enjoyable solo).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They did stress tests. They had a closed beta. They were confident enough that it would work after the tests. It didn't, and to avoid that they should have had an open beta. That's it.
I'm not denying any of the events that led to their releasing a broken game.

Destiny was cool the first couple of days because you were grinding like everyone else, then you realize that you're literally only doing the same missions over and over...and for what, a piece of armor? A gun that balances out in the arena?

The thing that bugs me the most was that Bungie was a dev I really liked, and they hyped this shit it up to be something it's not, and then withhold reviewers their copy because they say they want them to experience the social aspects of the game. There were none. Not giving reviewers a chance to play your game before it's out is something only low tier garbage devs do.

Varvor

Definitely not Destiny, sunck over 350 hours in to the game and still loving it!

Real issue with destiny is the marketting and target audience, people were pretty much had no real idea what the game was/is and allowed them selfs to fall for thr hype! Its my GoTY for sure.

Best Return on investment i made this year.

For every person who hated Destiny, all i can say is that you are a tool who fell for marketing with out any research or actual thinking....what the fuck did you expect? A story from a loot driven game? Yet to find a good story in loot driven game is past decade.....

Not a single MMO or ARPG in last 10 years was about story...it was about that sweet sweet loot and grind....oh yes...the grind. Part of the design....grind is a must to make loot valuable.

So you folks got your self to blame.

But the game does have issues, some will be patched and fixed, some wont....but it WILL get better from here.

PS: i stayed away from matketing hype of this game during its year cycle(beta/alpha) and went in blind with out any expectations other then my frind telling me to buy ps4 for it. As seasond Diablo and wow player it was perfect transition in to fps derivatives of those games.

Acheteedo

Destiny easily. Boy they sure loved talking about how they were going to "redefine first person shooters". HOW DID YOU EVEN SLIGHTLY DO THAT??

I'm really enjoying MCC thanks to the campaigns, and the online will undoubtedly be fixed very soon.

Cancelled my Unity pre-order thanks to the European release date being after the embargo, I might dive in when they get their shit together.

Games like Unity, MCC, and Driveclub are temporarily disappointing. Destiny is a dud forever, it clearly wins.

Destiny backed me into a corner where I signed up for Final Fantasy 14.

Destiny is my most disappointing, unfinished, highest potential but lowest return game of this year.

thenexus6

Destiny - Massive let down, can't even be bothered to play it anymore. Amazing visuals, music and UI though.

Watch_Dogs - I got this game used a few months ago was £12. It was alright actually, the hype and initial videos looked WAY better. I had fun though.

Driveclub - Wasn't really on my radar so can't comment. I probably would've got it though.

MCC - Don't have an xbox but would've got this day one if I did. Shame about all the problems

Unity - Never cared for this series. These problems are crazy though, seems ridiculous for 2014

sobaka770

Banned
Definitely not Destiny, sunck over 350 hours in to the game and still loving it!

Real issue with destiny is the marketting and target audience, people were pretty much had no real idea what the game was/is and allowed them selfs to fall for thr hype! Its my GoTY for sure.

For every person who hated Destiny, all i can say is that you are a tool who fell for marketing with out any research or actual thinking....what the fuck did you expect? A story from a loot driven game? Yet to find a good story in loot driven game is past decade.....

Not a single MMO or ARPG in last 10 years was about story...it was about that sweet sweet loot and grind....oh yes...the grind. Part of the design....grind is a must to make loot valuable.

But the game does have issues, some will be patched and fixed, some wont....but it WILL get better from here.

PS: i stayed away from matketing hype of this game during its year cycle(beta/alpha) and went in blind with out any expectations other then my frind telling me to buy ps4 for it. As seasond Diablo and wow player it was perfect transition in to fps derivatives of those games.

Notsureifserious.gif

If you've played Diablo 3 then you'll know that it crushes Destiny "loot" and "progression". As a grind-focused, loot-driven game Destiny is lacking randomization and incentives to progress.

If the company positions the game as a story-driven shooter, then it better deliver on that too.

R3TRODYCE

Destiny for me.

Even with online issues I feel that I got my money's worth out of Halo MCC and Driveclub as they are among my favorite games released this year. ACUNITY is beautiful and fun to play so I overlook the tech issues.

What the fuck is this.

I love Destiny, but this better be a joke post.

Dysun

Destiny, I had much higher hopes from Bungie. I bought the hype, hook, line, and sinker. I was in denial that doing the same thing over and over "wasn't that bad" for the first 30 hours

Struct09

Destiny is my biggest disappointment of 2014. AC Unity has major technical issues, but I actually still enjoy the underlying game.

MMaRsu

Banned
destiny is the worst of the bunch by a mile

the others may have technical issues, destiny is still a badly designed game even when it works. a mmo ish shooter with 0 social features, how does that go through the design doc

Kirt Driveclub is a really good game, I dont know what else to tell you.

Sephzilla

Destiny is probably the second best game of the year behind Dark Souls 2.

AC Unity's micro transactions may be annoying, as well as the frame rate, but its an AC game that doesn't include sailing and has co op. A huge step in the right direction.

MCC is trash for the time being. A tarnish to the Halo name. But that can be fixed, I hope.

DC I never played, but the situation sounds bad and I was looking forward to the PS Plus edition.

I chuckled a little because didn't most people consider Dark Souls 2 a bit of a disappointment compared to Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1?

AC Unity is the bigger disappointment to me, since it was "next gen" only and should not have been held back by the same limitations as Destiny MIGHT have been.

As far as DC vs MCC. Well, I think the MCC still looks great all things considered, whereas I never thought that Drive Club looked like it was going to be a good game, so I find it hard to be disappointed in something that I had such low expectations for to begin with. I guess I'd choose Drive Club just since that has been broken for longer than MCC.

StuBurns

Banned
I chuckled a little because didn't most people consider Dark Souls 2 a bit of a disappointment compared to Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1?
That does seem to be the general consensus, however, that doesn't also mean lots of people don't consider it to be GotY.

Varvor

Notsureifserious.gif

If you've played Diablo 3 then you'll know that it crushes Destiny "loot" and "progression". As a grind-focused, loot-driven game Destiny is lacking randomization and incentives to progress.

If the company positions the game as a story-driven shooter, then it better deliver on that too.

I play all 3 games for their own styles, i agree that D3 crushes Destiny in loot distribution mechanis, but then again D2LoD still wipes the floor with D3...your point?

As for story, it sucks and i am aware of under the hood reasons why its disjointed, let s wait and see what they do from here.

What the fuck is this.

Oh god, my opinion is different from yours. Some one call the police. But do elaborate this statment? At least i tried to explain my reasoning and thinking process, most folks do a drive by statement like "X game sucks because of reasons" but never give definitive reasons.

Or worse yet, do what you did with your responce.

I love Destiny, but this better be a joke post.

Care to elaborate?

Sephzilla

That does seem to be the general consensus, however, that doesn't also mean lots of people don't consider it to be GotY.

Yep very true.

For me personally I think it's out of my GOTY running by factor of "oh shit, that came out this year?" being the first thought that came to my mind. Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 are my dual GOTY right now though.
Honestly MCC might take 1st place if patches fix shit

SerTapTap

Destiny is the only one that's basically unfixable, though I have my doubts as to how well Unity will ever perform on console. But still, Destiny takes the cake because it is fundamentally not at all a game I can enjoy (despite seemingly ticking all the boxes pre-release), the others are just good to great games with noteworthy to extreme bugs.

PooBone

Destiny.

You can't patch in a story.

EDIT: My biggest disappointment ever. I would have said Halo 2, but at least I still wanted Halo 3. With Destiny I feel like I'm done with Bungie for a decade, and that's a crummy feeling.

DOUBLE EDIT: And having the balls to charge $20 for a new raid and some side content..... unbelievable. Fool me once, shame on you.

StuBurns

Banned
Yep very true.

For me personally I think it's out of my GOTY running by factor of "oh shit, that came out this year?" being the first thought that came to my mind. Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 are my dual GOTY right now though.
Honestly MCC might take 1st place if patches fix shit
I wouldn't count Remasters, otherwise TLoU would be number one, and GTA, number two. But Bayo 2 is currently top for me, I'm not sure I'll even play anything else.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Really none for me. Never gave a shit about AC or MCC. Destiny I've had a great time with, despite the lacking story and content. Driveclub stuff didn't bother me much since I don't play mp on racers.

PooBone

Someone doesn't know the meaning of the word "tool."

HINT: Mirrors.

For me, although Unity was a complete mess, it's still Destiny just consider how large of an effort supposedly was put it and how much was promised and then not delivered or purposely held back for shady DLC.

EDIT 2 - Seems like DESTINY is in the lead for most disappointing overall. I would agree. Driveclub taking the lead for Technical.

Destiny definitely takes the cake. It's fun, but later on it's not.

Destiny for me. By such a huuuuuuge margin.

But if MCC doesn't get working again today, I'm returning it, and id change my answer to that.

Varvor

I'm not even surprise. Destiny must sold the most from that list of games.

Exatly, it got lion share of the hatting folks because they bought the game they did not expect. Fell for the matketting machine, followed by cognitive dissonance.

Now they left the scene to go back to CoD:AW (great game, i love it as well) or what ever other hole they crawled in to all bitter over 60 to 120 dollar hole in their pocket and hating on it.

While Destiny community is doing strong, going on to 10 OTs like a champ. But to each their own and every one finds their own peace somewhere.

Someone doesn't know the meaning of the word "tool."

HINT: Mirrors.

So you calling me a tool for enjoying a game for what it ACTUALY is? As opposed to perceived.

Man you must be extra bitter over your purchase.

Unless i read your comment wrong?

Titanfall and Watch_Dogs need to be added to the list.

Titanfall: Missing a true single player campaign. Lack of customization and game modes. Titans were really just killstreaks. Locking titans behind the "campaign" which was impossible to unlock outside the first week. Expansions that further split up what little fanbase was left.

Watch_Dogs: Terrible plot. Typical Ubisoft cookie cutter side quest, climb the tower to unlock the map. Graphically downgraded from trailers. Dull and repetitive.

Destiny, so fucking disappointing its not even funny. I honesty thought I would sink in months of playtime with that game. Its funny because it doesnt have any crazy technical issues, its just that the game so basic and didn't deliver on its epic promises/ambitions.

chico

this negativity about almost every single "AAA" game is terrible. maybe people shouldnt hype like crazy for month, then they wouldnt be so dissapointed.
every single game... its not 60fps, is too short/long, only 900p, story sucks. nagnagnag.

i played destiny, driveclub and right now playing unity. all great games. stop complaining! go play and have fun.

patchday

I'd vote for Destiny as well.

The base mechanics are pretty fun (shooting) though and it doesnt become super buggy til you hit the endgame raid. I didnt expect a whole lot to begin with. However, it is a highly addictive slot machine (endgame raid) and the raid content was actually fun.

If you're into RNG casino slot machines and highly tolerant of repetition it might be good for you (hence why we're on OT10). GAF makes it fun too

Top Bottom