• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most powerful magic users in fiction

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Every magical principal in Harry Potter is sloppily defined to the extreme in general.

Time turners and polly-juice potion alone would utterly break apart any kind of rational, coherent universe.
Agreed, what bothered me most was those secret rooms in ministry of magic though

SpaceWolf

Banned
latest

Bad Wolf Rose Tyler would atomize all your beloved Dumbledorians and Voldemart's before they could even think about casting one of their goofy-ass spells.

And of course, some Japanese writers took it to absurd limits.

One-Eyed Othinus destroyed the universe. Not permanently, mind, apparently it was something she could waiver on.

Demonbane popped the universe it was in through sheer size and power. (It's Lovecraft in Light Novel/Visual Novel form, of freaking course).

Madoka ends up becoming
a fundamental law of the universe to ensure being a magical girl doesn't suck

All are magic, yes.

caliph95

I rank 3. Dr. Strange as suggested.

But also the Phantom Stranger

And this suave motherfucker, who is a superpowerful magician that barely ever needs to use magic.
To add that's Lucifer he and his brother Michael are the most powerful beings in existence basically right below their dad God

Micheal basically got the power of big bang since it's his job to create while Lucifer has the power to shape and manipulate and both of them had a hand in creating the Universe

There's also their brother Gabriel but no one talks about him

There's also characters that are not much of a fighter, but have reality morphing abilities. Like Dream of the endless, who has rewritten reality at least twice, but still some warlocks from turn of the 20th century could punk him.

caliph95

There's also characters that are not much of a fighter, but have reality morphing abilities. Like Dream of the endless, who has rewritten reality at least twice, but still some warlocks from the 19th century could punk him.
He was trying to get Death but ended up with Dream

I think that's partly because the Endless and other celestial beings have to follow rules

I rank 3. Dr. Strange as suggested.

But also the Phantom Stranger

And this suave motherfucker, who is a superpowerful magician that barely ever needs to use magic.

If Dr. Strange is near the top tier, I've read that Lucifer is probably second (there are of course characters who can equal him) only to true omnipotents. Haven't gotten around to reading the series though, will try to get on that.

caliph95

If Dr. Strange is near the top tier, I've read that Lucifer is probably second (there are of course characters who can equal him) only to true omnipotents. Haven't gotten around to reading the series though, will try to get on that.
You should it's great especially as a companion to Sandman

Lucifer is right below his dad God

Maledict

Belgarath the Sorcerer from David Eddings books.

It's not so much whether or not he can do something, it's if he should do something.

Even in Eddings books his powers were fairly minor for the most part, plus he was constrained by terrible writing and bizarre plot justifications all the time.

(I recently re-read them all. Gods they are bad. Don't destroy your childhood memories, do not re-read Eddings!)

This is a rabbit hole you're never gonna come back from, turn around while you still can.

I'm partial to reality benders myself. This little shit ruined the second season of what was a generally alright first season of anime:

HaruhiSuzumiya.jpg

Cause apparently she can just will whatever she wants into happening or not happening, depending on her mood and subconscious.

*EDIT* Aw shit misread the OP, technically reality bending is also magic no?

If we're going for the dumb meme answer though, it's Tom Bombadil obviously.

I'm also partial to Lady Galadriel.

Endless Eight’s effect on the fandom was hilarity. Being there every week to watch the dismay and denial at folks discovering that it was really lasting eight episodes was magical. The greatest part is that you couldn’t even call the animators lazy since the animation was different every episode. Did it make good show watching? Not really, no. But damn it made some good people watching.

Shush, you.

Endless Eight’s effect on the fandom was hilarity. Being there every week to watch the dismay and denial at folks discovering that it was really lasting eight episodes was magical. The greatest part is that you couldn’t even call the animators lazy since the animation was different every episode. Did it make good show watching? Not really, no. But damn it made some good people watching.

Oh man, that was such a great time to be alive. People studying the shit out of episodes for clues, hints, anything.

People losing their minds as the weeks dragged on.

I read the whole Belgariad/Mallorean cycle every few years or so.

Still love 'em. <3 I can't help it, Silk is my jam.

Me too, I won't make any excuses for any shortcomings in them, but they're like literary comfort food to me.
And yeah, Kheldar's the hero we deserve, I giggle every time when he tries to teach Brill to fly.

He has knowledge of magic equal to or greater than all magicians. He just almost never needs to use it, and when he does he usually just performs some minor hedge magic. Quick and dirty but it does the job.

True, but the source of his power is Divine and when he displays his power it's his Divinity that he uses. I just thought we were talking about magic users, which Lucifer very rarely uses.

a916

Dumbledore is easily the most powerful in the Potter-verse. He took down the owner of the Elder Wand, and didn't even break a sweat dueling Voldemort while having to keep Harry safe at the same time.

He wasn't even trying to kill him, merely stall so the Ministry could arrive and have proof for themselves that Voldemort was back. Voldemort realised this even and said he'll be gone long before they come.

wamberz1

Power level thread? Time for anime
Zelretch from the nasuverse
All powerful magus that has power over timelines (I think? It's confusing af) and blew up (a replica of) the moon

Mage of the Beggining from Negi and UQ holder
latest

Don't even know where to begin here so I'll just post some of the wiki
Resonance: A unique skill that the Mage of the Beginning possesses. As explained by Fate Averruncus, it is a constantly active, god-like super ability that causes her to feel and remember the pain of everyone in existence without stop, having infinite range and not being limited by a certain amount of people. Fate describes it as "Infinite Empathy". Still, it is also described as a "curse", that drives everyone to madness.

Revenge-Type Mental Possession: When she is killed, the Mage of the Beginning will take over the body of the one who killed her. It will take some time for her to take over the mind of her victim, however, that person is immediately granted her unique skill, Resonance after being possessed, and once his or her mind breaks from the burden of feeling all of humanity's pain, she will be reborn through them.

White of Mars: A divine power of creation based on the Forces of Light, which she passed to all her descendant, and which is ironically the only power that can destroy her once and for all. She used it to create an entire world, with fauna, flora and population; and an edenic dimension where everyone lives the happiest possible life. This power enables its wielders to either cancel any type of magic, or to warp reality to an exceptional extent, bending time, space and dimensions and affecting magical artifacts.

Black of Venus: A divine power of destruction based on the Forces of Darkness, which is the base of Evangeline's Magia Erebea technique. The darkness is fueled by negative emotions and feelings. It can engulf and assimilate everything, and enables the caster to absorb spells into themselves to boost their might and abilities. In addition, the Mage of the Beginning can conjure darkness and shape it solid, to form bounds and points among others, and uses frighteningly devastating darkness-themed attack that shatter even the mightiest protections.

Phantasmagorias: The Mage of the Beginning can create imaginary worlds outside reality, in which she controls everything, which she can shape and influence how she pleases. It has been described as akin to her "womb" or her "dreams". She can shape it according to people's past and memories, to which she seems to have some sort of access. She can enter it and drag people into them, deciding how they look like inside it, or even whether they appear as invisible and intangible 'spectators' or real persons. She can also create perfect replicas of people within it, with the same powers, skills and memories as their models, and make them act how she wants to.

L Thammy

Dark Schneider comes to mind. Have barely ready any Bastard! but reviving yourself from death is pretty broken to start with.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
True, but the source of his power is Divine and when he displays his power it's his Divinity that he uses. I just thought we were talking about magic users, which Lucifer very rarely uses.

He uses all sorts of established magic for the Vertigo world. Blood magic, lodestones, Native American dream walking, straight up illusions and practical reality bending/Tarot fuckery - none of which has anything to do with him being divine other than the fact that he's been around forever and has seen it all via his heritage.

Of course every now and then he just fucks off and LightBringers a situation. Sometimes fire is just the way to go.

RE: Dream - He was only trapped because he had been seriously weakened and was missing some of his "instruments" which facilitate his power. They got lucky in a sense. And then they got super fucking unlucky cause Dream is concept and can wait for literal ever until the glass erodes and the earth burns away to get free if he needed to. And then he gets out early anyways and proceeds to go on a punish spree as only Dream of the Endless can.

John Constantine though is way out of his league among the other names being listed here. Dude is clever af and has skills but he dances around the heavy hitters. He doesn't actively engage them.

Stasis

Whoever it is, I'm pretty sure they're in the Malazan series of novels/world.

Even the lower tier guys are higher up than most of what I'm seeing posted. It's just that not many here have read these books. Certainly not to completion.

Quick Ben, Bottle, on and on.

I was thinking of others like Raistlin, Rand, etc too but I never read anything as crazy as what occurs in Malazan. I'm forgetting the most powerful and too lazy to go check now. Those books are huge and complex.

Jisgsaw

My memory of it is pretty vague, but strangely enough the first I thought of (outside biblical stuff) was Pug/Milambert.

Oh man, that was such a great time to be alive. People studying the shit out of episodes for clues, hints, anything.

People losing their minds as the weeks dragged on.

Man, what I would give to have been there to live through that live.
not much, but even reading reactions today is fun, must have been a blast
That has to be the most epic trolling ever.
At least it gave us The Disparition down the line. And hopefully The dissociation/Surprise. One day. Believe.

Me too, I won't make any excuses for any shortcomings in them, but they're like literary comfort food to me.
And yeah, Kheldar's the hero we deserve, I giggle every time when he tries to teach Brill to fly.

Hey, same here!

Hex

Banned
Raistlin Majere or possibly Fizban but that is kind of cheating.

The problem with comic book kiddy shit, is that something can be one way for years and then a week later a different writer says otherwise.
It is what ruined comics for me.
One week you are duking it out with celestials and other worldy demons, the next you are getting fooled and losing to some street level trash.

Strange has lost his title and many of his toys so many times. Scarlet Witch at one time was considered hugely untapped in magic especially in combo with her powers. Illyana Rasputin in her Darkchylde persona was considered crazy powerful and SS level. Amanda Sefton and Nightcrawler's gypsy mother was also considered crazy powerful at one time.

In DC Zatanna is sometimes considered very strong others not.

Heysoos

Does Tatsuya count? His body will auto-regenerate itself if he receives too much damage. Even if he loses a limb, or even if the wound is fatal. He can also bring back people the same way. He can also completely basically decompose anything from existence basically.

Raistlin is a pretty good choice. He got so powerful that he usurped a god and everything else after that.

He killed all the gods minus Chaos in one timeline, amd he did so pretty handily once he had absorbed Tahkisis powers to truelly become the god of evil. The guy was THE god in that timeline, ol' Fisty was a pipsqueek compared to him.

Although his nephew may be as strong, or stronger. Not sure on that one.

This reminds me how little I read of things concerning magic, but fantasy is my favorite genre. So for me all I know are Harry Potter, Little Witch Academia, The Craft, True Blood, The Dr. Strange movie, and some JL and YJ episodes.

Rand al'Thor from the Wheel of Time, and I don't think it's particularly close. They obviously operate on totally different rulesets but the people mentioned from the Harry Potter universe just aren't on the same level. Rand is essentially a god, or at least has god-like powers, by the end of the series. Shit, by like halfway through he essentially has the power to destroy the world if he wished. His supporting cast is also incredibly powerful although not all of them are channelers (magic users). The three male leads all have intense reality-warping effects although they cannot directly control them.

Probably some Marvel comics bullshit too but that stuff tends to barely make sense so it's not worth getting into.
I'm on book 6 or 7. Can't remember, it's been a few months. But I was really hoping to see his name in here. I don't know everything about him, and he is crazy powerful. Could un-make reality if he wanted to.

He uses all sorts of established magic for the Vertigo world. Blood magic, lodestones, Native American dream walking, straight up illusions and practical reality bending/Tarot fuckery - none of which has anything to do with him being divine other than the fact that he's been around forever and has seen it all via his heritage.

Of course every now and then he just fucks off and LightBringers a situation. Sometimes fire is just the way to go.

He most definitely uses magic. I just wouldn't call him a magic user.

zeemumu

Dumbledore is easily the most powerful in the Potter-verse. He took down the owner of the Elder Wand, and didn't even break a sweat dueling Voldemort while having to keep Harry safe at the same time.

But Grindelwald fought like 20 people by himself and obliterated several others in one shot

cj_iwakura

The Seers of the Throne in Mage: The Awakening are capable of terrifying shit. Not to mention the Banishers.

That said, Dr. Strange felt like a straight-up MTA film.
That's a Banisher at the very end.
Even has Scelesti(the main bad guy).

Top Bottom