• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Practical Female Armor in RPGs?

Heels aside, Charlotte's not bad:

wzqKQ.gif

EDIT: This isn't from an RPG so I'm an idiot, btw.

i'm here to save you:

Me1Fy.jpg

CorvoSol

I've always thought that Agrias from FFT was a good representation of a female knight with good practical armor in video games:

wyVtd.jpg

Agrias is great and easily the best woman in the game, but I think that Meliadoul's armor looks better.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The "correct" FE answer :)P)

380979-titanica_main_image.jpg

<3 <3 <3 Titania

She's got style, beauty and grace... and is arguably the most attractive FE female in the series. And she does this while completely covered up (its magic I tell you...)

Her only problem is that she's literally TOO BADASS.

If you're not careful, she'll solo the entire enemy army early on and your other dudes won't get any XP.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't have any Tera art, but how about some Vindictus?

20120713123500774.png

First of all, please don't post like 10 of those huge pictures like in the Vindictus thread.

Second, Vindictus is totally weird. I play the Fiona (female sword and shield) class, and her best armor sets while leveling up seem to alternate between legitimate awesome and protective looking armor and "LOL BIKINI TIME!"

Second, Vindictus is totally weird. I play the Fiona (female sword and shield) class, and her best armor sets while leveling up seem to alternate between legitimate awesome and protective looking armor and "LOL BIKINI TIME!"

That's exactly why it's awesome.

Wait... which ones are skimpy for Fiona? I mean yeah some show a little skin, but I can't think of one that's meant to be completely skimpy. Evie, I agree. One of them was wardrobe malfunction the armor.

Also, what's going on with Kingdom UnderFire 2? I've been looking for some semi-RTS/brawler action for a long time.

That's exactly why it's awesome.

Wait... which ones are skimpy for Fiona? I mean yeah some show a little skin, but I can't think of one that's meant to be completely skimpy. Evie, I agree. One of them was wardrobe malfunction the armor.

Also, what's going on with Kingdom UnderFire 2? I've been looking for some semi-RTS/brawler action for a long time.

The games I think is on beta at Korea to be released end of 2012 or the begining 2013, and they are making the PS3 version after, i believe.
On topic what's the opinion on Monster Hunter armors?
Uragaan-Blade.png

NavalDeus-Blade.png

DarkAkantor-Blade.png

Etrian Odyssey once again to the rescue!

eo2-protector-female1.jpg

EO1&2 Protector

chiehoplite.jpg

EO3 Hoplite

eo4fortress.jpg

EO4 Fortress

Ehh... I don't think so. Frilly Dress + xbox huge shield and a cross for a weapon is pushing it.

Not bad though.

The dress goes on the outside of the legguards, both feminizing hard plate and obscuring the limbs ala hakama pants.

That's an awful lot of exposed leg.

312px-Two_hoplites.jpg

Historical precedence and I don't want the drive for less mindlessly fanservicey armor turn rabidly PC and generally stupid.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
FE as a whole as actually pretty cool with the whole female armor thing. Obviously there are outliers like Neph, but all in all I think they're pretty solid.

(I think I should just post the entire female cast of FE10 lmao)

Yeah, those are all very good female armor.

iamblades

armor that doesn't offer leg/thigh protection shouldn't even be posted.

Eh, most armor throughout history didn't provide leg protection. The only warriors in history who had heavily armored legs were mounted knights and Samurai to a lesser extent. Your basic footman couldn't afford it, and couldn't really move well with it, they would be more likely to have greaves, a helmet, maybe gauntlets and bracers if they could afford them, and a big ass shield. Maybe they'd have a mail coat or a breastplate, but not much else.

Uthred

Explicitly sexualised stuff can be off putting. But a lot of the complaints in this thread seem, if not stupid, then misplaced. Largely because they take the armour in question entirely out of context of the setting it was designed for and apply "real world" "practicalities" to it. Most of the characters featured here are explicitly superhuman or have access to magic, etc. When your primary defence relies on stuff like that then armour understandably becomes largely a fashion statement. There's also a fairly strong argument to be made that "practical" (how vague and lacking context is that) armour designs are simply boring to a large percentage of the audience this stuff is aimed at

CorvoSol

My main problem, really, with this outfit is that 1) her sword is impossibly useless. Like, a frilly gunblade, what? And 2) The pauldrons. What do they attach to? I'm confident that, in game, they don't.

Now, for every CRAZY female armor in a Final Fantasy, there are one or two decent ones. For whatever freak reason, Akihiko Yoshida never bothered to do a full body sketch of Meliadoul Tengille, but did one of friggin' Luso. Nevertheless, there's some good fanart for you:

She might not have as much mobility, since her armor is kinda one part nun, one part knight, but she does solve that pesky problem of long hair. In fact, in-game, Meliadoul has her hood on the whole time.

To my surprise, though, Ravness Loxaerion's armor is in fact pretty stupid. I thought she had pants on:

Ozma, of the same game, looks okay, despite her Liefeldian feet:

Qun'Mi of Final Fantasy Type-0 has a pretty decent outfit, considering she spends more time as a pilot than in hand-to-hand combat:

Judge Magister Drace of Ivalice shows us, though, that while she may not be one of the Armored Big Guys (Garland/Golbez/ExDeath/Gabraanth), she can still rock full plate:

Top Bottom