• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most tedious thing you've ever done in a video game

It's got to be that lightning dodging game in FFX. Spent hours and hours at that. Can't believe I had the patience for it back then.

Came for this. Glad it's the first post. Even the chocobo racing and butterfly catching didn't take me all that long. I remember getting to 199 three separate times and weeping.

I just got all the covenant rewards in Dark Souls 3 yesterday. Mixture of dealing with asshole hosts for the covenants that do work and hours of repeatitive farming for the ones that don't. I still need to get all rings and endings for that 100% completion.

But the worst were the feathers in Assassin's Creed 2.

The Scientology hidden side quest in GTAV is absolutely the most tedious thing in any game. It's intentionally done that way.

This side quest has you fulfill ridiculous requirements, like wandering in the dessert aimlessly for days, makes you spend maybe $20,000 of your own money or more, and gives you generally no reward.

It's all intentionally stupid, though. Sadly, too many of GTAV's other side missions weren't intentionally pointless, but ended up becoming so.

Grinding in pretty much any RPG. Especially Bravely Default that has you
repeating the first 4 chapters over and over again

I did nothing in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate but farm G-Rank lagiacrus for some stupid part. I'm talking about playing no other games and only doing that hunt. For a week.

Turned out the part I needed only dropped from the high rank version.

ArmageddB

Blood vial grinding in bloodborne.

I have no patience for tedious tasks and typically stear clear of those games... I'm looking at you JRPGs.

Ensoul

Breeding and racing chocobo's in FF VII so I could get
knights of the round.
Collecting feathers and scrolls in any assassians creed game.
Most recently trying to get headshots for all the weapons in black ops 3.

Grinding in pretty much any RPG. Especially Bravely Default that has you
repeating the first 4 chapters over and over again

Bravely Default was the easiest game to grind in, though, thanks to auto-battle, super fast battle speeds, and -- especially -- the Obliterate (instant KO) skill. For all that game's warts, I felt it respected players' time well enough, at least in battle.

Capra

Replaying Devil Survivor Overclocked's main campaign over 5 times just to see each ending, including the 8th Day scenarios. And then replaying a final time to kill Lucifer.

It was worth it.

I didn't even actually complete the lightning dodge challenge and I think it's still the most boring thing I've ever done in a videogame (and this includes grinding the exact same enemies for days for leveling up and drops in Ragnarok Online). What the fuck were they thinking?

Toxi

Banned
Pokemon breeding is the second most boring fucking thing on the planet.

The first most boring fucking thing being shiny resetting.

Planet scanning in Mass Effect 2. One of the most ill conceived "gameplay" concepts I've had the misfortune of encountering in my 30ish years of gaming. It literally made me fall asleep. I'll take driving a Mako around over that garbage any day of the week.

When you know what you're looking for (it is poorly explained in-game) it's not so bad.

Go to a planet. If it says Rich, scan where there are spikes. If it doesn't, move on. A shitload of time saved and more than enough materials to get you through the game. Meanwhile, even moving through planets on the first ME is a long, drawn out hassle.

Inventory management in any RPG. Its especially annoying in games where the majority of loot is garbage, like Skyrim & Fallout or The Witcher 3.

I hate having to mess around in menus deciding what crap to keep and what to drop.

I'd also nominate the exotic weapon bounties in Destiny. Completing 25 strikes was a real slog, not to mention the crucible requirements. Destiny was full of tedious, repetitive activities to disguise the lack of content..

tkscz

All of these

952544-gold_skulltula.jpg

And it's not even worth it

Same with the Poe Souls as it's the same rewards. While it has "somewhat" more use in TP, it's still not that useful.

SomTervo

Doing the sidequests in Lost Planet 3.

It's a really well written game, with compelling characters, setting, backstory and plot.

But somehow they make everything you do really dull. Shooting enemies and fighting bosses is sort of alright. But what you actually do – that is, trudge about picking things up and generally being a truck-driver-in-a-mech is just so dull.

It legit feels like work. You feel like you are the protagonist, doing this repetitive, slow labour even though you're in a huge mech. Trudging through snow and caves for literally five minutes then hopping out and fixing some busted piece of machinery, then getting back in to proceed on to the next job.

It's weirdly apt.

All of these

952544-gold_skulltula.jpg

And it's not even worth it

Playing it for the first time ever now, on 3DS.

Thanks for saving me some time!

200 Lightning dodge in FFX. Stupid crazy requirement. This was in the ps2 version. I skipped it when replaying it on Vita HD. I skipped FF13 Lightning Returns too.

jfkgoblue

Atma Grinding in FFXIV(pre drop rate buff)
Actually now that I think about it, that entire fucking relic quest after i90(First part was hard at time, but not that grindy like literally ever one after)

But Atma wins due to MMO RNG bullshit with some getting them all in <10 hrs while it took me around 50

Grinding to get a certain monster in Final Fantasy 13-2 (a cloudburst).

Worth it though, one of the strongest monsters in the game.

SomTervo

In Mafia 2 there's a section where your character stacks crates in a warehouse for a minimum wage.

Videogames.

Shenmue 2: Beating Mafia 2 to the punch almost 15 years in advance

That's also ignoring Shenmue 1 where you're a forklift driver for minimum wage (but it's actually kinda fun)

WITHE1982

Nothing too dramatic TBH. Off the top of my head:

Shooting every pigeon and Seagull in GTA4 and The Lost and The Damned.

Grinding Tokotoko in Ni No Kuni up to level 99 by running the same small path in Perdida over and over and over and over again.

Levelling up my second character in Bloodborne using the dog glitch and running in circles for hours on end.

Other than that I'm a bit of a completionist so in every open world game the map has to be 100% complete with every collectable and secret unlocked or I'll just not bother to finish the game.

HeelPower

FFX entire post game.

Practicing combos in fighting games.Basically most time spent in practice was an empty tedious chore.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
All the collectathons in Skyward. I wasn't a big fan of the game because of the controls and the world in general, but the collectathons cemented my hate for it(along with the Imprisoned battles).

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Destiny has dominated most experiences like this. The game excels at tedium that isn't very rewarding.

Sword materials...year one rep grinding...
Actually, year one anything, really.

*shudder*

Top Bottom