• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most tedious thing you've ever done in a video game

Collecting all of this Intel in The Division. I've finished about two boroughs and just cant anymore. Fuck Ubisoft and their collectathons.

rtcn63

Just learning to play bloodborne 😪

Just pick a weapon and upgrade it breh

Persona 3 and those optional missions that require you to fuse monsters and have it inherit a specific skill. IIRC P4 let's you choose which skills to inherit.

redcrayon

When you know what you're looking for (it is poorly explained in-game) it's not so bad.

Go to a planet. If it says Rich, scan where there are spikes. If it doesn't, move on. A shitload of time saved and more than enough materials to get you through the game. Meanwhile, even moving through planets on the first ME is a long, drawn out hassle.
I think the issue with it was developer intent vs player desire for optimum results. The developers probably thought players would go "ah, I need a bit of mineral X for this upgrade, I'll just spend two minutes scanning a couple of planets after this mission then crack on." As opposed to the player arriving in a new area, seeing multiple star systems and going "Must strip-mine the galaxy for max resources, just in case". :)

100%ed Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. Felt like a chore because I hated the game, but I soldiered through it since I was a Castlevania fan. I'm so glad I have outgrown that phase, lol. Never again.

rtcn63

Oh, and chocobo racing/breeding in FF7. Hilariously I played the old PC version on a shitty laptop, and after getting Knights of the Round, actually using would cause the game to freeze almost 100% of the time.

I got a couple of my shotgun and rifle bullets up to level 50 in Phantasy Star Universe, if I remember. Your skills and stuff all leveled up as you hit things with them, and it took a lot for them to level. Some weapons, such as the shotgun, weren't so bad because they hit multiple enemies at a time. (The shotgun was also the best weapon type in the game, especially in the hands of a Gunmaster.)

Forces and their derivatives had it the worst, though. Level had more of an effect on their abilities so people did boosting parties where they did nothing but spam them until they eventually leveled them. I had a friend that got all of the buffs and debuffs up to 50. On a Cast Acrotecher.

Playing it for the first time ever now, on 3DS.

Thanks for saving me some time!

Get fifty and you've gotten everything worthwhile from that sidequest. It's really not that difficult to get there, either. You should end up being close just naturally finding them.

Oh, and chocobo racing/breeding in FF7. Hilariously I played the old PC version on a shitty laptop, and after getting Knights of the Round, actually using would cause the game to freeze almost 100% of the time.

I was going to say this as well. Took me for fucking ever to breed a Black Chocobo.

redcrayon

Ok, I never made it this far...

Is it THAT bad? Maybe I should pick it up again.
It isn't that bad, and those chapters can pretty much be as long or as short as you like. Some people view it as half the game being a drag, but really chapters 1-4 and 8 are the meat of the game (they took up 48 of my 50 hour playthrough), and you can blast through 5-7 in an hour or two if you don't feel obliged to do every repetitive sidequest. If you're an RPG player that can't leave an optional quest icon unfinished even if you know what it is and don't want to do it, it's going to be a drag though.

Put me in the Pokemon breeding for 6 IV's camp. It doesn't seem that bad until you want to make a team of 6 'mons and the RNG is completely against you.

Fuchsdh

Assassins Creed II: Collecting all the feathers.

Just did that, wasn't so bad. There's a hundred of them but with a map it's very easy, and it tells you by city section how many you have left so it's hard to miss them.

Now, grinding out Lvl 50 in Bioshock 2 multiplayer or General in Halo Wars multiplayer... I wish I had the same amount of time to devote to pointless stuff in games these days. Now I just won't play the game.

mstevens

Most recent is farming covenant items in Dark Souls 3

Probably the platinum trophy in either FFX, FFX-2 or FF14 (1,000 levequests ugh)

Cess007

Knocking down signs in Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 like hundred of times to get the Lottery Ticket just to get the Platinum Trophy. I spent days doing that D:

Collecting [ITEMS] in [GAME]. Devs, you gotta stop putting these in. They're not fun, they're not engaging, and only a handful of people bother actually doing it. Stop making me collect shit.

Jerrod

Seven Day Survivor in Dead Rising.
Proud of that 14 hour marathon gaming session
This. Never did it all in one day so I had to leave my Xbox on over night. Also had to do it twice because I got 12 hours in and I was in a store I had been in for an hour or more thinking it was safe and one lone zombie killed me while I was watching TV. I looked back just in time to see the final attack that killed me, I just stared at the screen for a few minutes bewildered. Finally came back and finished it a few months later.

Collecting [ITEMS] in [GAME]. Devs, you gotta stop putting these in. They're not fun, they're not engaging, and only a handful of people bother actually doing it. Stop making me collect shit.

I agree with you, however, they have actual analytic data that probably tells them that it does on average add playtime, which equates to time that their games do not end up being re-sold. I don't have this data, that might not be true at all, but they do and games still have a bunch of terrible collectibles, so until people stop collecting them, they will not remove them from games. Also, they don't "make you" collect anything. Feathers and so forth add zero value to most open world games.

PaulBizkit

final fantasy 3, level up the job level for some characters from 1 to 99 in one sitting. Other than grinding in some rpg's, i can't think of anything else.

Shiggy

Reading 10 and answering 5 questions a day in Miitomo for an entire month to get WarioWare Touched and Zelda Picross for free.

bAC7xEj.jpg

I never caught the fucker.

Justinh

I don't know. I know it took me effing forever to get a Peeping Eye soul in Aria of Sorrow the first time I played it. I guess I was just unlucky, but I needed that last soul.

Also, it took me a really long time to get a rose quartz and accelerator in the Lost Odyssey DLC and even longer before I was able to beat the DLC boss.

After playing for like... 5 years, I've nearly completed the museum in Animal Crossing: Wild World. I'm missing one painting and usually when I get a chance to buy a painting on Friday, it's the wrong one or it's a fake which is really deflating.
I haven't kept up with New Leaf's collecting throughout the months even though I play it much, much more everyday.

Caode

Off the top of my head... getting the platinum for Thief on the PS4. There's a trophy for finding every secret area in the game, the only problem is the game doesn't tell you how many you've unlocked, or how many there are, nor does it mark them on the horribly designed map, so it becomes a process of elimination in each area. Insanely tedious.

Getting 1000 Gamerscore in the Darkness. Took me 2 Years because of the multiplayer achievements. I do not like to "boost" so i tried to achieve them the normal way. Problem was: the multiplayer was dead as fuck and if i found other players i had to pray they do not quit the game.
But i loved the game so much, i had to do it :)

I'm currently playing The Last Remnant, and some of the side quest have been a huge bore.

The desert quests are particulary hated to me, also a quest about getting some materials from a cave (that you have to do 3 times) and keep entering and exiting the cave (fighting your way out of it everytime) because some of the materials are drops from a rare monster -_-

Piers

Ragnarok Online.
Getting from Novice to Super Novice.

The most basic, boring starter class in the game that requires reaching Base Lv. 50, which is often done with even 2nd Job Classes. It was SO BORING.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Camping this one fucking room in Ragnarok Online to kill the few whispers that spawn in it over and over to try to get a whisper card. I spent hours and hours doing this every day, for around two weeks.

I don't know what I was thinking.

magnetic

As many others in this thread, I too grinded way too much for souls in Aria / Dawn of Sorrow. The most soul crushing thing however is when you're going in and out of doorways, slaying a certain enemy, and then you accidentally LEAVE THE ROOM WHILE THE SOUL DROPS and you don't get it.

Monster Hunter in general has so much tedious repetition in it. It's a shame because I really adore the fighting mechanics, but I abhor low droprates. I really wish the game had some sort of performance ranking, giving you better items for a better performance - instead the game all too often devolves into a rush to just kill the monster for another resource item diceroll. Though there's the "breaking body parts" element which kind of approaches what I would want.

That's what I loved about Soul Sacrifice - you had all sorts of conditions you could fulfill for better rewards.

And man, the game I hated myself the most for grinding in was Dragon Quest IX for DS. At one point I was farming metal slimes, which most of the time won't show up and THEN are likely to just bail from the fight - but fighting normal enemies was so much less XP that NOT farming for slimes didn't make sense. I just quit playing the game instead.

Kup

Lately, it was 15 hours of farming for 30 Proof of Concord Kept in Dark Souls III to increase rank for Blades of the Darkmoon covenant.

Online connectivity wasn't working it seemed so I did this offline.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Collecting all the fucking items in Darksiders 2. I somehow missed one so I had to go through all of them again.
I hate collectibles so much, but I can't not collect them all. I seriously have to force myself from doing it, even if I hate it.

SirNinja

Getting both platinums in Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD. Getting everyone's Celestial and filling in every Sphere Grid node in X, grinding through both monster arenas, capturing every mob and finding all Oversouls in X-2, slogging through all of Last Mission...

I still haven't done it, but already it's one of the grindiest things I've ever went through.
And I just know they'll announce the PC version right after I finally get them both...

IvanJ

Banned
For me it's definitely ranking up to 100 in Gears 2. All for the stupid achievement.

Just stepping in and out of the circle for hours....That was horrible. The positive: I finally understood the pointlessness of achievements, and stopped earning them altogether soon after.

Today I am a happy man, I don't even know which trophies are in the game or how many I have earned. And have no need to do tedious chores anymore, I just quit whenever I feel like it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Getting the collectibles in PoP was incredibly dull.

Also the blast shards without the tracker. I printed off a sheet and manually crossed of each location.

MomoQca

As much as I love Xenoblade Chronicles X, but trying to locate party members (around 20!) in New Los Angeles at specific locations and time is extremely tedious.

Top Bottom